Astro-Notes: July 28 Practice

Team 1 was Kolb, Chandler, Woods, Stevie, Graham, and Spiller, with Wood, Brown, Pears, Urbik, and Glenn.

Team 2 subbed in EJ, Marquise, Woods, and Smith.

Team 3 subbed in Da'Rick, Gragg, Brandon Kaufman or Easley, and/or Dickerson.

-----

RB--If I had to put the RBs in order of performance tonight it would be Spiller, Jackson, Choice, Zach Brown, Kendall Gaskins, then Drew Smith. Smith is the lankiest and tallest but is not a blocker or receiver. Brown is hustling all over the place, and Gaskins made a sweet catch in traffic. Our fullback is Fran Summers--5'9" 248. You won't see him until it's too late. He's a bowling ball out there but I doubt he makes the team.

WR's in order of performance tonight were Stevie (a diving catch that brought the crowd to the loudest cheer of the night), TJ Graham (2 TDs and a drop), Brandon Kaufman (6'5" is nice but his catches in tight quarters were nicer and had 3 catches on 3 successive plays), Marcus Easley (gets open often and caught 3 in traffic, and was impressive as gunner), Woods (some exquisite routes and gets open consistently but also 2 drops--one would have been a TD), Marquise Goodwin (always open by 5 yards, one time went over the middle and had all the room in the world, but wasn't thrown to), Da'Rick Rogers (made a good gunner and had some good separation), then Dorin Dickerson (he's a man without a position but made a couple of nice moves as a WR). Our weakness at WR is now our strength.

TE Scott Chandler is BACK! He made a few nice catches and they didn't seem to limit him. Gragg can separate but EJ overthrew him. Gragg is smaller than I thought but only relatively as we have 3 tall TEs. Smith isn't giving up his spot easily; known for blocking, he made 2 fine catches and one ugly catch. Caussin made a couple good catches but wasn't ready for one pass to him. We won't miss Mickey Schuler.

QB- Kolb is still ahead, but he telegraphs his throws at times. EJ had a fumble and 2 overthrows to open guys. EJ is showing command under center.

The D-Line is unpredictable even without Mario. I think Branch (definitely) and Jay Ross (maybe)can add something. Troup would have had 2 sacks tonight.

LB-Alonso looks like Spielman and has a nose for the ball. Likely first string. Moats isn't far behind and showed the most hustle of the group. Bryan Scott still has "it" in his 11th year. Dowtin is a great match for this system. Jerry Hughes is going to contribute on 3rd down. I watched these guys less, so I'll watch more Monday.

S -Searcy and Aaron Williams got their INT with Williams' INT coming on the first 11 on 11 play. Jairus who?

CB-Gilmore vs Stevie is a thing of beauty. Both will have a huge year. Gilmore is less obvious with his interference. McKelvin looked improved and in great shape but I would have called him on his interference twice. Nobody else was noticeable except TJ Heath, who's on his man quick and blanketed him, and Ron Brooks who had a couple nice PBUs. Meeks was good against the gunner but he's very tiny.

Random-The pace of practice is BRISK (50% more work in the same amount of time). At one point I timed the hikes of the ball at 14 seconds, then 16 seconds, then 14. Nobody seems gassed. Stevie got stretched by a trainer on the sidelines for about 5 minutes (hammys, groin, quad, sartorius)--then bounded off. Don't like using Woods or McKelvin as a KR as both will be starters.

DraftTek Positional Analysis-I'm less concerned about LB and S than I was before practice. I'm WAY less concerned about WR and TE. I'm concerned about the same as I was about CB--love Gilmore but need a shutdown guy. May increase need at Guard

That's it. Going again at 2:00 today--let me know if you're going. ---Astro

Yes WM, you can see the future in EJ. He didn't look "deer in the headlights" overwhelmed like Losman or Trent. He looks unflappable, smooth, occasionally making the rookie mistake (not getting rid of the ball, fumbling). When protected, EJ throws a great ball. You also see the command already.

Thanks Astro. As someone that was there I can probably agree with all of this.

On EJs fumble, from my point of view, it looked like a botched handoff. Couldn't tell as I had the line surrounding the play. But it looked that way to me. Who's fault it was...... Now that's another one I couldn't tell you. Just an observation from where I was though. Might have been his fault, but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus on it yet. Very easily could have been one of the scrub RBs that won't be on the team in 3 weeks.

I wonder if you were sitting near me. Right around 42 yard line, closer to the concessions, about 10+ rows up, on the end of the row, with a note pad in your lap?

Astro, Your efforts are appreciated. :worthy:

As an expression of my appreciation I sent you a large check that can only be cashed at the Bank of Sicily located in Palermo, Sicily. The only requirement is you have to hand deliver the check to the female teller with a mustache. There is also a time limit on the check. You have to get it cashed by noon July 30. So hurry up and make arrangements. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

Thanks astro

When you watch the LB's, watch their first step. I am curoius if Alonso will have the good first step, stay on the backs of his feet a second to long, etc. Not just him, but others.

With Alonso I also want to see his angles to meet the ball. Will he catch up to the speed quickly enough? A lot of young MLB's get thrown off course or lost in space. How does he fill space? How does he get in to position?

Very good review. Many thanks. Should be able to make it today. Will likely ride the scoot. I'll be wearing black leather and have a Canon SLR camera.

so your camera will cost more then your ride?

Yes WM, you can see the future in EJ. He didn't look "deer in the headlights" overwhelmed like Losman or Trent. He looks unflappable, smooth, occasionally making the rookie mistake (not getting rid of the ball, fumbling). When protected, EJ throws a great ball. You also see the command already.

This is exciting. Think about it, folks -- not since the Bills acquired Bledsoe prior to the 2002 season have we seen a true "franchise QB" behind center, at training camp or otherwise.

Thanks Astro. As someone that was there I can probably agree with all of this.

On EJs fumble, from my point of view, it looked like a botched handoff. Couldn't tell as I had the line surrounding the play. But it looked that way to me. Who's fault it was...... Now that's another one I couldn't tell you. Just an observation from where I was though. Might have been his fault, but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus on it yet. Very easily could have been one of the scrub RBs that won't be on the team in 3 weeks.

I wonder if you were sitting near me. Right around 42 yard line, closer to the concessions, about 10+ rows up, on the end of the row, with a note pad in your lap?

Nope, not me. That was Belichick's lackey B-)

I was far end. You coming to practice today?

Nope, not me. That was Belichick's lackey B-)

I was far end. You coming to practice today?

naw, not gonna make it. The hour long drive is a bit much an gas ain't cheap. Plus I'm gonna go to dinner and see Pacific Rim (for the 3rd time) with my dad today.

I work until 3pm tomorrow. Depending on what time practice starts and finishes tomorrow I might go after work. I'll be halfway there from Attica so it might be worth it.

naw, not gonna make it. The hour long drive is a bit much an gas ain't cheap. Plus I'm gonna go to dinner and see Pacific Rim (for the 3rd time) with my dad today.

I work until 3pm tomorrow. Depending on what time practice starts and finishes tomorrow I might go after work. I'll be halfway there from Attica so it might be worth it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tues and Wed and Fri are all 8:10-11:00 practices. I won't be at Tuesday's, but I'll be at today, Wed, and Fri. practice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tues and Wed and Fri are all 8:10-11:00 practices. I won't be at Tuesday's, but I'll be at today, Wed, and Fri. practice.

you might be correct. Haven't looked at the schedule.

Thanks a lot Astro.

I believe that the signing of Alan Branch was a move that was overlooked by most fans. I think he will be a good player with the Bills. I just wish they had signed him to more than just a 1 year contract.

Hearing all the good things about the WR's is very exciting. Glad to hear that Scott Chandler is back at 100%.

I look forward to your analysis of the LB's. I am most interested in Keith Pough.

Who is the current starting FS? And how does Aaron Williams look at his new position?

Thanks again.

Edited by Mark Vader

Team 1 was Kolb, Chandler, Woods, Stevie, Graham, and Spiller, with Wood, Brown, Pears, Urbik, and Glenn.

Team 2 subbed in EJ, Marquise, Woods, and Smith.

Team 3 subbed in Da'Rick, Gragg, Brandon Kaufman or Easley, and/or Dickerson.

Much appreciated Astro. It's a great read.

Are they overworking Robert Woods in with Team 1 and Team 2. No Fred J yet?

Pleased to see that Kaufman had a good first day. Hope he makes the final roster.

Thanks, Astro!

I understand why they may not want to use McKelvin & Woods as PR/KR, but if they're the best returners on the team, I think they should still use them.

The coaches will make the call....but, not only is McKelvin the best on the team....he is the best in the league. How can we not use him, then?