Mario Williams: Is a Pattern Forming?

Lurker

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Tim Graham Cracker knows that Mario is a licensed police officer.

HOUSTON (FOX 26) -

Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams graduated from the Lone Star College Law Enforcement Academy in Houston on Friday.

"He is now a licensed peace officer in the state of Texas," said Larry Stewart, one of Williams' instructors at Lone Star College, in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"That means he can be a police officer anywhere in the state of Texas."

Williams said since before he left college at North Carolina State he has had a passion for law enforcement and now he is a member of that fraternity.

"To say that I graduated from the Lone Star Law Enforcement Academy, it's an honor," Williams said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "It isn't something necessarily that I'm going to act on at this point.

"I'm still playing football. Football is my first love, but everybody has to have a plan B.

"It's something that I'm definitely going to fall back on after football is done, which hopefully is years and years down the road, but it's there. It's something that can't be taken away. I'm setting up myself for the future and I think that's the most important thing."

Williams passed his final exam on Friday, enabling him to graduate from the Lone Star Law Enforcement Academy.

"It was definitely like getting four sacks in a game and scooping and scoring a touchdown," Williams said.

"I was extremely excited. It was almost one of those things where you're so excited, you're smiling, you get that lump in your throat, you can't breathe.

"I've been studying like crazy. Staying up late at night. With everything else that's going on, you got to fit it in. To be able to handle that load just speaks volumes." Mark Berman, Sports Director MyFox Houston Posted: May 18, 2013 4:39 PM EDT

Coach Tuesday, I hope you're not offended by him taking his eye off the football during his off-season personal time. It seems he had a worthwhile objective to pursue though. It fits into HIS plans and criteria for projecting professionalism and leadership for the rest of his life. I'm sure he could find it in his heart to forgive you if he offended you in any way. Well, maybe... perhaps.

What I got from this story was how much more I like Mario Williams, not because he is a gun owner, I have a glock, it's legal (in Florida pretty much everything is legal) it sits safely away. If it wasn't a gift I wouldn't still have it. What made me like him more is the picture he put on his instagram, I love that these Bills (first Stevie) show how much they dislike the Patriots, rather than play the we respect them card, they've said we hate them and in Stevie's case more.

This has honestly been my favorite offseason, not because we went out and got the #1 free agent on the market, but because, Tim tebow, the "lost" super bowl ring, Gronk's injury (shows that maybe our training staff and scouts knew something and thought he was on borrowed time) and now Hernandez..Anytime something negative happens to NE, an angel gets his wings.

Let us hope that we get out to a fast start in the season. I think if EJ comes out and looks poised and is the playmaker that these scouts believe him to be, we can win the AFC east.

Hey, if you want a good Mario Williams instagram try this one:

http://instagram.com/p/Zd5X1spyx_/

"Your companions are like buttons on an elevator. They will either take you up, or they will take you down"

Too bad Hernandez didn't take that motto to heart.

From what I've read it sounds like Hernandez was the bad companion influencing others, not the other way around. He's the one who sent out the texts telling his buddies to get a move on so they could execute somebody. If not for him those guys never would have been in the state helping him terminate a life. All allegedly of course. =)

Nice! I did not know that. He should be making donations to the Orchard Park police, though, so they can protect themselves from the fans on Sunday afternoons.

It's true. He purchased 2 very expensive cars for the Houston PD. Let that sit for a second if you will.....there are segments of the American culture who might see this as an act of being a traitor for political, and other reasons. Mario doesn't care what they think, and put his own money down for the safety and well being of his community. Imo, he is a literal hero for doing so.

This thread (and probably the article which I didn't read) are indicative of society. He is remembered for a wacky court battle with an ex. He is remembered for ONLY registering 10 1/2 sacks on a lousy defense, this while playing injured. He SHOULD be lauded for looking out for his community.

PS: He is the best player on the Buffalo Bills.

So what, the dude is an avid outdoorsman, is a licensed peace officer in Texas, and has been hunting since he was a teenager. Do you get all bent out of shape when Jim Bob the Redneck with 20 pictures of him sitting over a deer holding a shotgun or him at the shooting range with his guns post pictures? I mean this is the ultimate non story trying to be hyped into a story by people with no lives and the media with nothing to write about in the middle of the summer...the pattern forming is people have nothing better to do than make up nonsense and speculate on someone else's speculation

I don't know if you're right or wrong, but I don't recall much hubbub about Jared Allen's affinity for guns:

jared-allen.jpg

jared_allen_hunting.jpg

Maybe Mario should put on some camo and it'd be all good.

Or how bout the NFL's golden boy Drew Brees?

drew-brees-madden-cover.JPG

You should check out Chris Kaman's (NBA white Center) twitter too. He has to have over 50 pictures of him with guns (hunting). I would link to it but its a pain to do on a phone.

You should check out Chris Kaman's (NBA white Center) twitter too. He has to have over 50 pictures of him with guns (hunting). I would link to it but its a pain to do on a phone.

Yeah I was gonna post pics of Eric Wood looking down the barrel of a 50 cal but I figured the point would was made better with two pretty high profile NFL guys. I also found pics of Aaron Rogers with a gun (albeit standing next to a police officer), and many others high profile athletes (including Kaman).

I don't remember any outrage stemming from this: http://dailycaller.c...ning-available/ either. Especially the quotes that fly in face of Graham's agenda. And I normally like Graham.

While the League recognizes some situations where players may have access to firearms and does not actively discourage players from participating in legal shooting activities, it puts heavy weight on alleged negatives of firearm ownership: “Any weapon, particularly a firearm, is dangerous—especially when it is in a vehicle or within reach of children, or around others who are not properly trained in its use.”

Christine responded to the League’s policy with a simple statement: “The NFLPA recognizes the Second Amendment rights of our members.” He added that, “The NFLPA feels we have an obligation to ensure our members benefit from having access to [expert] training and information offered by the SIG Sauer Academy.”

Now, I don't want to come off as some 2nd Amendent type of wingnut (but if you put a gun to my head I'd be ok with increased control lol), but I find the sanctimonious hypocrisy hilarious. I enjoy target shooting and individual rights and all that, but I'd certainly consider myself "anti-crime" way before I'd consider myself "pro-guns."

It's true. He purchased 2 very expensive cars for the Houston PD. Let that sit for a second if you will.....there are segments of the American culture who might see this as an act of being a traitor for political, and other reasons. Mario doesn't care what they think, and put his own money down for the safety and well being of his community. Imo, he is a literal hero for doing so.

This thread (and probably the article which I didn't read) are indicative of society. He is remembered for a wacky court battle with an ex. He is remembered for ONLY registering 10 1/2 sacks on a lousy defense, this while playing injured. He SHOULD be lauded for looking out for his community.

7 sacks in 9 games after his surgery. The man legally owns guns and promotes proper gun ownership and gun safety. He has done some very commendable things for law enforcement.

We need more NFL players like Mario. The people criticizing him in this thread are the problem, not Mario.

We need more NFL players like Mario. The people criticizing him in this thread are the problem, not Mario.

No one in the NFL, let alone here, is paying attention to this if not for Tim Graham making a decision to write an article trying to justify his perception of what he was seeing.

I follow one sport. I genuinely love this game more than I love the Bills because if I didn't, I'd have stopped watching years ago. And as a football fan who originally followed Graham because he covered the AFC East, I've noticed he's less interested in telling you what you want to know about your team from the inside and has opted to tell you what he thinks from the outside.'

It suddenly hit me recently that he has essentially become the Perez Hilton of the NFL sports writing world.

Yes, that is it.

Actually, I just have a different opinion than many of you. I work at a large company and I know that we prefer our highest-ranking employees to project professionalism and leadership. I don't see that from Mario and I'm not sure we ever will.

Are you and your colleagues among only a very few people in the world capable of doing your job? No? Well, there you go.

Listen, I get that some prefer players with high moral standards. But the "If I showed up at my cubicle monkey job X acting like these pro athletes" argument is about the dumbest there is and betrays a complete lack of a grasp on even the simplest of economic concepts.

Tim Graham did what he set out to do... Have these poor people listen to him, read his story's, and talk about it.

This he really cares about Mario? Lol nope he just wanted you to freak out and keep reading him.

Edited by Ralph W.

No dude, you are intolerable. Your posts is this thread smack of arrogance and border on preaching. Shut up.

I wrote a response and then deleted it.

I can get how someone would disagree with me. I specifically started my opinion by acknowledging that I am in the minority. The response has been several outright personal attacks... kind of a shame.

This place used to be more of a community, where people could disagree with each other without getting emotionally dug in. Every once in awhile someone would actually change their mind - I know I have, many times.

Now most of the time it's just people blindly shouting at each other and drowning out all dissent, like sports talk radio. Maybe it's indicative of society. But it's no coincidence that a lot of informed and engaged posters have disappeared over the years, including the guy who wrote the article that sparked this thread. I was in the camp that thought he overreacted, but after reading through this thread I understand why he left.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This place used to be more of a community, where people could disagree with each other without getting emotionally dug in.

This simply isn't true. It's always been dog eat dog just like the rest of the internet. The community element only comes in if it's another long time poster who you know to be fairly level headed and so other old timers would respond in a level headed manner. Otherwise, it's just like the rest of the internet but with better moderation so it doesn't get too out of hand.

Hell, we've had people chased off over rattata and homework threads - and those were other long time posters.

I can get how someone would disagree with me. I specifically started my opinion by acknowledging that I am in the minority. The response has been several outright personal attacks... kind of a shame.

This place used to be more of a community, where people could disagree with each other without getting emotionally dug in. Every once in awhile someone would actually change their mind - I know I have, many times.

Now most of the time it's just people blindly shouting at each other and drowning out all dissent, like sports talk radio. Maybe it's indicative of society. But it's no coincidence that a lot of informed and engaged posters have disappeared over the years, including the guy who wrote the article that sparked this thread. I was in the camp that thought he overreacted, but after reading through this thread I understand why he left.

Tim Graham left because he's a kitty. There was a poster who for some reason felt the need to insult ESPN and its writers, who at the time were TG's employer and colleagues. Rather than putting him in his place, reporting his displeasure to the mods, or warning that he didn't care to engage with those insulting his friends and coworkers he responded to one lone poster by throwing a little B word fit, taking his ball and going home. Yeah, it was a dick move to throw those insults a guy who came here to share what he knew, and I did enjoy his posts, and didn't blame him for having a problem with those posts (personally I cringed for fear they would ultimately run him off), but the way he left outed him as petty and thin-skinned and his twitter behavior and subsequent articles have done little to dispell that image.

This post had everything, made me laugh, made me cry, and made me not order Pizza today. Gonna grill some burgers now.

It's ironic. We can start threads criticizing players' focus on football based on internet snippets and a few pictures that take minutes to make, and then respond with hurt feeling when we ourselves are subjected to the same dynamic in a much smaller, more intimate forum of exchange. Now imagine this ordeal that you have just experienced, and tomorrow morning having Tim Graham make assertions in print about you so that all of your colleagues can be exposed. Not to mention the people who have never met you making their opinions known in other threads around cyberspace. In a way, you and Mario are going through a similar experience. I hope you can get your ring back too.

It's ironic. We can start threads criticizing players' focus on football based on internet snippets and a few pictures that take minutes to make, and then respond with hurt feeling when we ourselves are subjected to the same dynamic in a much smaller, more intimate forum of exchange. Now imagine this ordeal that you have just experienced, and tomorrow morning having Tim Graham make assertions in print about you so that all of your colleagues can be exposed. Not to mention the people who have never met you making their opinions known in other threads around cyberspace. In a way, you and Mario are going through a similar experience. I hope you can get your ring back too.

For $100 million, I'll take the insults from a bunch of Internet tough guys with Simpsons' screen names.

I agree with the OP here 100%... A patttern of immaturity, petttiness, and lack of focus is definitely emerging... I predict we're going to have ROOKIES on this team more mature, and focused, than Mario... Way down deep, I know that big money has taken a small intellect, and made it even smaller..

If all goes well, he'll finish this season with great numbers.... but someone, somewhere needs to shake his tree, and get him to grow the f___ up. -Seriously.

For $100 million, I'll take the insults from a bunch of Internet tough guys with Simpsons' screen names.

I'd do it for a cool million... What's that ater taxes? -around 600 thou? -Hate to lowball you, but that's the figure I had in mnd.

I agree with this entirely. He played his postion extremely well last year on a crappy defense with minimal surrounding talent to say the least. The story of his generosity to the law enforcment community is great to hear. Seems the world could use a few more Mario Williamses.

On a side note, when Tim Graham left TBD I thought, "Crap. We ran off a decent contributor." But if his tweets are any indication of his true persona, I'm glad he's gone. He's got issues.

GO BILLS!!!

When Houston let Mario walk in the free agent market they drafted J.J. Watt. They got a better player and person for a more realistic price.

The issue with the ring and his relationship with his ex was his personal business. But when he publicly accused her of gold digging he brought his private issue into the public realm. After his classless and misleading characterization of her at the podium she, through her attorney. responded with her version of the relationship that pictured him in a very unfavorable light.

Mario Williams is a physical specimen. However, he isn't always a full effort player. I would glady take J.J. Watt over him.

PS: He is the best player on the Buffalo Bills

For the amount of money he is being paid he should be.

Don't mistake my view of him. I'm not saying that he is a bad guy. That isn't the case. What I am saying is I'm not putting him on a pedestal.

When Houston let Mario walk in the free agent market they drafted J.J. Watt. They got a better player and person for a more realistic price.

The issue with the ring and his relationship with his ex was his personal business. But when he publicly accused her of gold digging he brought his private issue into the public realm. After his classless and misleading characterization of her at the podium she, through her attorney. responded with her version of the relationship that pictured him in a very unfavorable light.

Mario Williams is a physical specimen. However, he isn't always a full effort player. I would glady take J.J. Watt over him.

For the amount of money he is being paid he should be.

Don't mistake my view of him. I'm not saying that he is a bad guy. That isn't the case. What I am saying is I'm not putting him on a pedestal.

Actually the Texans drafted Watt the year before Mario left. But they had no idea how good Watt would be when they let Mario go because they couldn't afford to keep him. And Watt will no doubt be looking for a substantial pay raise in about a year, should he have another season like last year. As for being a better person, let's wait for another 5 years before we make that claim.

Bill: I love you, man. And I hate knowing that what I am about to say to you is against everything you stand for...

But Spiller is the best player on the Bills. Followed possibly by Gilmore and (when healthy) Wood. Then Mario, then Kyle, then Byrd.

I agree with the OP here 100%... A patttern of immaturity, petttiness, and lack of focus is definitely emerging... I predict we're going to have ROOKIES on this team more mature, and focused, than Mario... Way down deep, I know that big money has taken a small intellect, and made it even smaller..

If all goes well, he'll finish this season with great numbers.... but someone, somewhere needs to shake his tree, and get him to grow the f___ up. -Seriously.

I'd do it for a cool million... What's that ater taxes? -around 600 thou? -Hate to lowball you, but that's the figure I had in mnd.

I think you're joking. Right? You "know" the money has affected his intellect? Seriously?

Edited by stony

Actually the Texans drafted Watt the year before Mario left. But they had no idea how good Watt would be when they let Mario go because they couldn't afford to keep him. And Watt will no doubt be looking for a substantial pay raise in about a year, should he have another season like last year. As for being a better person, let's wait for another 5 years before we make that claim.

Well that's obviously untrue. In his rookie year, Watt had 56 tackles (48 solo) and 5.5 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries, and a blocked FG. In his first playoff game, he had a pick six. In his second playoff game, he had another 2.5 sacks.

Meanwhile, Mario was out after 5 games (and would only start 18 games in his last 2 seasons) and the Houston defense actually got much better. So, it's not a matter that they couldn't afford him--clearly, they no longer needed him.

Watt may command a big contract, but he will be coming off several very productive years, not IR after having played only 18 of 32 games previous to his new contract. In other words, the Texans won't be wildly overpaying Watt to stay.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The Texans knew well in advance that they were not going to keep Williams for the probable gilded price. The organization did what good organizations do i.e. anticipate player and contract situations.

The Texans drafted Watt with the 11th pick in the draft. They knew they were getting a good player who would be a backup plan for allowing Mario to leave in free agency. Did they know how good he was going to be? Probably not. But my main point in the prior posting is that he is a better player and value than Mario. That is a point that you can't disagree with if you are a fair-minded evaluator of players.

Edited by JohnC

Well that's obviously untrue. In his rookie year, Watt had 56 tackles (48 solo) and 5.5 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries, and a blocked FG. In his first playoff game, he had a pick six. In his second playoff game, he had another 2.5 sacks.

Meanwhile, Mario was out after 5 games (and would only start 18 games in his last 2 seasons) and the Houston defense actually got much better. So, it's not a matter that they couldn't afford him--clearly, they no longer needed him.

Watt may command a big contract, but he will be coming off several very productive years, not IR after having played only 18 of 32 games previous to his new contract. In other words, the Texans won't be wildly overpaying Watt to stay.

The Texans didn't get better because Mario got injured. That's so silly it's laughable. The reason they improved defensively after 2010 is because the Texans hired Wade Phillips as DC prior to the 2011 season, to replace such luminary DC's as Richard Smith and Frank Bush. And as for Watt's rookie season, Dareus had 5.5 sacks as a rookie as well, so there's that. And let's wait until Watt has a few more seasons under his belt before we talk about his durability.

The Texans knew well in advance that they were not going to keep Williams for the probable gilded price. The organization did what good organizations do i.e. anticipate player and contract situations.

The Texans drafted Watt with the 11th pick in the draft. They knew they were getting a good player who would be a backup plan for allowing Mario to leave in free agency. Did they know how good he was going to be? Probably not. But my main point in the prior posting is that he is a better player and value than Mario. That is a point that you can't disagree with if you are a fair-minded evaluator of players.

Watt is definitely a better value and at present a better player. But we'll see what Pettine can get out of him, seeing as how Wade got 5 sacks in 5 games out of him.

The Texans didn't get better because Mario got injured. That's so silly it's laughable. The reason they improved defensively after 2010 is because the Texans hired Wade Phillips as DC prior to the 2011 season, to replace such luminary DC's as Richard Smith and Frank Bush. And as for Watt's rookie season, Dareus had 5.5 sacks as a rookie as well, so there's that. And let's wait until Watt has a few more seasons under his belt before we talk about his durability.

Watt is definitely a better value and at present a better player. But we'll see what Pettine can get out of him, seeing as how Wade got 5 sacks in 5 games out of him.

It's silly and laughable because you made that part up. I never said they got better because he was injured (so pathetic, doc), but while he was injured. This cannot be disputed, nor can the fact that they decided they didn't need him and they were correct. Wade is a great DC, but it is also true that the combination of players they had the rest of the season worked very well and made Mario expendable.

Finally, your comparison between Watt's rookie year and Dareus's is what is truly laughable. The regualr season sack total is the only thing they had in common their rookie years.