Mario Williams: Is a Pattern Forming?

Lurker

What is with this double standard? When OJ was accused of murder there were jokes from day 1. Now suddenly no one can speak their opinions about Hernandez (even separate from the charges) without being criticized. I didn't know Bellicheat had such a far reach.

Welcome to our new 'zero tolerance' world, where six year olds get suspended from school for biting their poptart into the shape of a gun.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or how bout the NFL's golden boy Drew Brees?

drew-brees-madden-cover.JPG

Little known fact - Brees is actually shooting puppies in this photo...

I'd agree that the Grand Theft image was in poor taste, but getting mad because Mario owns guns (and uses, gasp, protection) is just silly. We all knew the guy wanted to come here for the deers! Did they thing he was going to hunt them with his pass rush?

Didn't Mario post a pic of a gun with a silencer attached on a pillow? That has a completely different meaning - at least to me - than the above pics.

True. He did. And in a vacuum, I'd agree with you. But considering everything we know about Mario, I'd place him closer to the Jimbo/Jared Allen/responsible gun owner edge of the spectrum and nowhere near the Aaron Hernandez/dumbass thug category.

mariopic.jpg

No different then any of us who make or made fun on Hernandez and Patriots....only difference he plays for the Bills and makes lots of money!

I dont think he did anything wrong....non issue if you ask me. And I think Tim Graham has too much time on his hands!

So let me play devil's advocate, since this is a thread full of dudes agreeing with each other and I see it a bit differently.

I don't care about the guns.

What bugs me is that Mario just seems unfocused to me. To be sure, it's not fair, but as a $100 million man, the so-called cornerstone of the franchise, on a losing team, I'd like him to be focused on, talking about, and thinking about one thing and only one thing - winning games. I just don't get the sense his head is where it should be. I don't want him making jokes about A-Her and video games, I don't want him distracted by lawsuits against his ex, I don't want him pissing off other players blasting music at his locker after losses.

I want him eating, sleeping, and humping the Lombardi trophy and nothing else. Tweet a picture of the trophy, if you're gonna be clowing around on Twitter. He should be firing up his teammates to focus on this upcoming season and improving this wretched franchise. Nothing else.

And again, it's definitely a double standard. Most players aren't held to that level of scrutiny. But he accepted it when he signed that contract, and I think it's reasonable for the Bills to expect a bit more leadership, and a bit less awkward aloofness out of him.

That's just my view. It has nothing to do with being "P.C." or whatnot - I don't really care what his message is; the problem is what his message isn't - it isn't about football, and rarely is with this guy. I want more and better.

Just because the Bills backed the Brinks truck up to his door does not mean he is or has to be the leader of our football team. It is well documented that he is not a rah rah guy even before he signed his contract. The Bills knew that. He was signed because we needed an answer at pass rush, something he's good at, not because we needed leadership. Your right about our team being in the grips of over a decade of no post season play, but shooting guns and poking fun at a division rival retard during one of the only breaks from football he gets a year, is NOT news. Maybe when your done humping your home made lombardi trophy you could deliver it to Mario and talk with him about your concerns.

So let me play devil's advocate, since this is a thread full of dudes agreeing with each other and I see it a bit differently.

What bugs me is that Mario just seems unfocused to me. To be sure, it's not fair, but as a $100 million man, the so-called cornerstone of the franchise, on a losing team, I'd like him to be focused on, talking about, and thinking about one thing and only one thing - winning games. I just don't get the sense his head is where it should be. I don't want him making jokes about A-Her and video games, I don't want him distracted by lawsuits against his ex, I don't want him pissing off other players blasting music at his locker after losses.

I want him eating, sleeping, and humping the Lombardi trophy and nothing else. Tweet a picture of the trophy, if you're gonna be clowing around on Twitter. He should be firing up his teammates to focus on this upcoming season and improving this wretched franchise. Nothing else.

And again, it's definitely a double standard. Most players aren't held to that level of scrutiny. But he accepted it when he signed that contract, and I think it's reasonable for the Bills to expect a bit more leadership, and a bit less awkward aloofness out of him.

That's just my view. It has nothing to do with being "P.C." or whatnot - I don't really care what his message is; the problem is what his message isn't - it isn't about football, and rarely is with this guy. I want more and better.

What about the fact that its June and he created a picture that probably took all of 5 minutes to make. He's never given anyone a reason to question his commitment to the team. Yes his job is to play football, but he's also a human being. They are allowed to have other interests and occasionally do other things besides studying the play book and lifting weights.

What about the fact that its June and he created a picture that probably took all of 5 minutes to make. He's never given anyone a reason to question his commitment to the team. Yes his job is to play football, but he's also a human being. They are allowed to have other interests and occasionally do other things besides studying the play book and lifting weights.

That's definitely the other side of it which I get. But for the amount of $$ they invested in him, I don't want him in the news AT ALL unless he's building playgrounds in inner-city Buffalo or talking about restoring a winning culture. That's it. JMHO.

IMHO, Aaron Hernandez is presently in jail for murdering one, possibly 3 people. If he is found not guilty I suppose that I, Mario, and most folks on this board will owe him a big apology for all of our jokes and negative comments. Until then, I think that "Grand Theft New England" pic is pretty well done and funny as hell and I really don't care if it hurts his feelings.

Who gives a rat's a$$! As long as he's not beating his girlfriend, doing 110 in a 35 mph zone, driving drunk, smoking weed, etc....no big whoop. Anyone who has their panties in a bunch over this needs to chill. Just because he was paid an exorbitant amount of money doesn't mean he's required to spend his free time building hospitals, visiting the troops, or signing autographs at Mighty Taco. He's an adult who has time-off from work- he can do what he damn well pleases (just like the rest of us).

Did Mario run over your dog?

When I saw Tim Graham's article about Mario, the first thing that crossed my mind is that Tim is quick to point how Mario shouldn't do this because the NFL is trying to battle in image problem, but never once discusses how the NFL has allowed itself to have this image problem.

If the NFL doesn't want to be associated with accused murderers, dopers, etc., then maybe they should find a way to keep teams from drafting this kind of "image problem."

But no.

Did Mario run over your dog?

Yes, that is it.

Actually, I just have a different opinion than many of you. I work at a large company and I know that we prefer our highest-ranking employees to project professionalism and leadership. I don't see that from Mario and I'm not sure we ever will.

When I saw Tim Graham's article about Mario, the first thing that crossed my mind is that Tim is quick to point how Mario shouldn't do this because the NFL is trying to battle in image problem, but never once discusses how the NFL has allowed itself to have this image problem.

If the NFL doesn't want to be associated with accused murderers, dopers, etc., then maybe they should find a way to keep teams from drafting this kind of "image problem."

But no.

You could set a 15 second egg timer when you start reading a TG article, and you'd have well over 10 seconds to go before you've found the logical flaw in whatever tripe he's preaching on that week.

Yes, that is it.

Actually, I just have a different opinion than many of you. I work at a large company and I know that we prefer our highest-ranking employees to project professionalism and leadership. I don't see that from Mario and I'm not sure we ever will.

I see less of an opinion and more of an agenda.

You could set a 15 second egg timer when you start reading a TG article, and you'd have well over 10 seconds to go before you've found the logical flaw in whatever tripe he's preaching on that week.

We've been agreeing a lot lately, and I have to say it makes me a little uncomfortable.

What was my agenda again?

That's a good question, I'd love to know the answer myself. I don't know, maybe you're just a naturally miserable person? You seem to like the phrase (or a variation) "like they say, there's always something with this guy." Let's be clear, there is no "they." You, Coach Tuesday, are "they."

So please, enlighten us all, where does this deep-seated hated of Mario come from? When exactly did he break your heart? Was it the Jets game?

That's a good question, I'd love to know the answer myself. I don't know, maybe you're just a naturally miserable person? You seem to like the phrase (or a variation) "like they say, there's always something with this guy." Let's be clear, there is no "they." You, Coach Tuesday, are "they."

So please, enlighten us all, where does this deep-seated hated of Mario come from? When exactly did he break your heart? Was it the Jets game?

Wow.

This place is intolerable sometimes.

Cringe worthy? I don't know about that. He hasn't done anything wrong or illegal. It's not like he's slacking in practice or anything. He's just poking fun at the guy that we all have been. It's a pretty funny picture.

Tim Graham has his panties in a bunch over nothing. Big surprise.

This.

The only thing cringe worthy has been outsiders' comments about his break-up, and on crap like this.

Hey, you are all terrible people. You don't focus that someone lost their life, you don't care about the Redskins name, and now you aren't all over Mario for practicing safe use of guns!

This place in intolerable sometimes.

Are you guy serious? Yes a pattern is forming. There is one consistent thread in all of these stories. He is showing some tenacity and anger. I mean the defense is saying "Kill 'em". He's making fun of players on rival teams and posting pictures of him shooting guns in his off time. He's suing ex-fiancés in a pissed off way. I don't know about you guys but I like the new Mario. This is what I want to see out of my defensive players. Pissed off dudes who want to take it out on somebody. I'm not sure what the hell most of you are thinking.

Coach if I was too harsh I apologize. I saw this thread and thought "No QCity, noononono do NOT click on this thread. No don't do it. Run far away, do not click the mouse button." It's like a car accident, you know better than to look and want to avert your eyes but you have to take a peek.

http://profootballta...nstragram-page/

Too many cringe-worthy stories about him lately, IMO.

This will be an interesting year for Mario in a defense that should feature him more than Wanny's did...

Over firearms? He's a country boy. Country people have guns. Guns are tools, like chain saws and post hole diggers. Referring to a picture of someone wearing hearing protection, operating a firearm as "brandishing guns" ? Good grief. You'd think the "gun brandishing" was gettin' personal to Tim's tender bits

(warning: mebbe NSFW)

Mario moved to Buffalo from Texas. As a late friend once said (in jest, but true in spirit), "when I crossed the Texas border, they searched my vehicle for firearms. Fortunately, I had some, so they let me enter the state".

Get over it peeps.

Edited by Hopeful

well I waited and i read then i waited.

Definitely a difficult time for us Bills fans chomping for pads and camp.

and the media... bad time for them because no news happening besides arrests. means the writers need to start thinking about their craft and create something interesting for readers.

Well this did get you folks talking didn't it ?

I prefer the semi- studies on Pettine's defense or watching Kiko and read how he did this pretty good and that very well while at oregon. And his weaknesses might be his head swivel in man to man between QB and receiver.

Or getting breakdowns on how Woods developed route running skills being the number two guy . Not news, but what i want to read about this time of year . I would like sports writing to be finding positives ? with some balance of course. And we do get that from some writers for sure.

all that being said i really do not like when Mario speaks at pressers . He is a focal point for perception of Buffalo Bills with his contract and will stay that way til we start kicking names and taking a'''.

I want him to lay low and play football. He seems quite immature and abit off.

I do Cringe when he talks and tries to fool around with the media. ( the doritos things was funny when watching )

Just play football Mario Williams.

Leave the antics to Stevie.

By the way the gun thing was just really bad timing with the AH situation and the NFL right now.

Over firearms? He's a country boy. Country people have guns. They're tools, like chain saws and post hole diggers.

Mario moved to Buffalo from Texas. As my late friend the Hereditary Russian Engineer said (in jest, but true in spirit), "when I crossed the Texas border moving there from Indiana, they searched my vehicle for firearms. Fortunately, I had some, so they let me enter the state".

Get over it peeps.

Thats damn near true ! and funny

I'd agree that the Grand Theft image was in poor taste, but getting mad because Mario owns guns (and uses, gasp, protection) is just silly. We all knew the guy wanted to come here for the deers! Did they thing he was going to hunt them with his pass rush?

That's a funny visual, Mario ambushing, chasing down, and tackling a deer. Maybe a sack dance celebration as the animals lays stunned on the ground…

The article stated that " It has been well documented that Mario has promoted safe and legal firearm possession.” If that is the case, then this is more of the hysteria over guns that has taken over the country(or part of the country). Proper use and safety of said guns is what is sounds like he is doing. What we and the NFL should worry about is the irresponsible gun owners and the illegal gun possession types that are in the league.

http://profootballta...nstragram-page/

Too many cringe-worthy stories about him lately, IMO.

This will be an interesting year for Mario in a defense that should feature him more than Wanny's did...

Hey, if you want a good Mario Williams instagram try this one:

"Your companions are like buttons on an elevator. They will either take you up, or they will take you down"

Too bad Hernandez didn't take that motto to heart.