Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say something similar. If Williams can prove himself maybe we're not so bad off without Byrd.

Yeah, well in that scenario you would only have another guy looking to get paid in a few years. We have to sign the good players we have unless it's absolutely not possible to do so. We already lost Levitre. Losing Byrd as well is unacceptable. Two good safeties is much better than one good safety and some question marks (although I believe our depth there is good - it's still another matter; we need to keep our home-grown talent).

Crap, that must mean our defense sucks. Doomed!

The ball was thrown into "tight coverage." That means that the offense executed extraordinarily well, and the defense was sound but just beat by an awesome play.

So, I think our offense and defense are both looking great, EJ Manuel will be the starting QB, and the Super Bowl is within our grasp.

(And that's how you analyze a tweet of a single mini-camp play).

The ball was thrown into "tight coverage." That means that the offense executed extraordinarily well, and the defense was sound but just beat by an awesome play.

So, I think our offense and defense are both looking great, EJ Manuel will be the starting QB, and the Super Bowl is within our grasp.

(And that's how you analyze a tweet of a single mini-camp play).

Go back and read again. The O had an INT - so the O is crap. The D let the O have a TD, so the D is crap. We're letting young players have a chance to prove themselves - so the vets are crap. We've got some players that are making other players expendable, so the whole team is crap. And if we get draft picks for a Byrd in the hand instead of lavishing QB money on him making it impossible to re-sign any other players beyond their rookie contracts, we're BillFanOne!

Edited by Nanker

Go back and read again. The O had an INT - so the O is crap. The D let the O have a TD, so the D is crap. We're letting young players have a chance to prove themselves - so the vets are crap. We've got some players that are making other players expendable, so the whole team is crap. And if we get draft picks for a Byrd in the hand instead of lavishing QB money on him making it impossible to re-sign any other players beyond their rookie contracts, we're BillFanOne!

You, sir, have cracked the code.

PTR

You, sir, have cracked the code.

PTR

The only thing missing is the implicit cheapness / complete lack of Football knowledge demonstrated by everyone from the owner down to the guy that runs the security booth where the players enter One Bills Drive...

@Rich1270TheFan

Bills notes...shocker Aaron Williams with 2 INTs in 2 days incl one covering fastest guy on team Flash Goodwin..taught TX rook somethin

@Rich1270TheFan

Bills note...Pettines confusing opposing offense...had bunch of QB pressures and sacks today..OL human turnstiles today

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The positive here is that if our OL can get it down against Pettine's defense they will be able to handle the good pressure defenses of the league

I find it very encouraging that the pass rush is dominating the OL at this stage-- they should be. Something would seem wrong if they weren't getting pressure on an offense that was installed within the last month.

I was going to say something similar. If Williams can prove himself maybe we're not so bad off without Byrd.

Thinking like this is why this franchise is in the straits it is....you don't let assets walk when you hit it right in the draft... Wouldn't we be a better team with both on the roster???

Wow. A whole practice just staring upward? I hope they get to more advanced exercises soon.

They're just trying to show support for Leodis.

You know the peripheral vision exercise.

One for all and all for one.

The positive here is that if our OL can get it down against Pettine's defense they will be able to handle the good pressure defenses of the league

Exactly what I thought - I don't think it's a coincidence that the Jets O-line has been pretty good over the last 4 years.

The more I read about this defense, and think about it, the more excited I get about our prospects this year. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Buffalo finish the year in the top 5 in the NFL in total defense. If Byrd comes back and we have Aaron Williams and Byrd, and Gilmore back in the secondary - that is a pretty good secondary. I have a lot of trust in Alonzo and Bradham, and our OLB's are going to be fine. And, I really think our D-line is going to be what we thought it'd be last year. It's my opinion - but I think we're going to have the kind of defense we will like so much we'll not envy ANY OTHER TEAM'S DEFENSE. It's been a LONG TIME since I could say that - since Pat Williams, Sam Adams.

If you look at yesterday's video on the Bills page, it's vastly different when you see what happens with the blitzes than reported on twitter/BNews articles. If you notice, there are several sacks in a row where there's an overload and there are more rushers than line to defend it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills_Roundup_Minicamp_Opens_with_QB_Change/27bc9ab9-215f-4868-997d-d5124772fca6

Wake me when they put the pads on and strap on the helmets. Other than depth charts, alignments, and play designs, there is absolutely NOTHIING to be learned from players running around in shorts and playing a pussified game of touch football.

GO BILLS!!!

Wake me when they put the pads on and strap on the helmets. Other than depth charts, alignments, and play designs, there is absolutely NOTHIING to be learned from players running around in shorts and playing a pussified game of touch football.

GO BILLS!!!

Yet you're compelled to read and contribute to a thread devoted to said pussified game of touch football.

GO BILLS!!!

No need to wake you. Just leave and don't come back until late July. Many of us here love this stuff.

Thinking like this is why this franchise is in the straits it is....you don't let assets walk when you hit it right in the draft... Wouldn't we be a better team with both on the roster???

I mean we have that much more leverage. I agree that we want 2 good safeties over 1, but if AW and Duke or whoever are both playing well, we should be able to secure Byrd at a reasonable price.

That being said, looks like AW is playing corner at minicamp.

Williams was lost out there at CB......have a hard time believing that the move to safety will render him more capable. He was burned bad by many of the receivers.

Well, Safety is a completely different position, so there's that.

Also, it's looking like he won't have to cover guys one-on-one for 9+ seconds each down. We may actually blitz a little this year.

Edited by billsrcursed

"Kolb managed to elude a rush and improvise a quick-thinking throw over the middle to Fred Jackson for a gain of about 25 yards on a third-down play. After that, Pettine dialed up four straight blitzes and ended the series with four straight sacks."

Oh my. :)

Williams was lost out there at CB......have a hard time believing that the move to safety will render him more capable. He was burned bad by many of the receivers.

WAS is the operative word here. Many players become good players in their third and forth years. Jerry Hughes may be one of them. Looks like Williams will be another and a return to corner might happen for him.

WAS is the operative word here. Many players become good players in their third and forth years. Jerry Hughes may be one of them. Looks like Williams will be another and a return to corner might happen for him.

It's really remarkable how many fans forget this. There's a reason why those "in the know" say you can't truly rate a team's draft until (at least) three years later.

Case in point -- the Bills' 2010 draft, which has been widely criticized, could at the end of the day yield significant contributors out of the first three picks. We already know about Spiller, but Troup is finally healthy (as he tweeted today after practice) and Carrington came on strong last year.

For Aaron Williams this is year three, and three INTs in three days of minicamp isn't just "dumb luck." Those who have already thrown him on the trash pile may have to re-evaluate.

Yet you're compelled to read and contribute to a thread devoted to said pussified game of touch football.

As is my prerogative. I think it's funny that some seem to be hanging on every "sack" or "TD" pass as reports come out of mini-camp. It's more a commentary on media coverage than anything else.

But thanks for offering up your special brand of thread patrol.

GO BILLS!!!

No need to wake you. Just leave and don't come back until late July. Many of us here love this stuff.

I'm not judging anyone here. I'm just saying I don't get much out of the reports. And I don't believe we can really tell all that much from them. But my opinion is not an indictment of anyone that does. I'm glad you and others do. More power to you. Have a blast.

GO BILLS!!!

Not hard to believe at all. Lot of scouts had him pegged as a better safety prospect coming out of Texas. I wouldn't look at his CB play as an indicator of how he'll do as a S. Completely different animal. More to know from a schematic viewpoint, but far less demanding athletically. It's why good corners often transition to safety when their corner skills start to erode.

GO BILLS!!!

As is my prerogative. I think it's funny that some seem to be hanging on every "sack" or "TD" pass as reports come out of mini-camp. It's more a commentary on media coverage than anything else.

But thanks for offering up your special brand of thread patrol.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not judging anyone here. I'm just saying I don't get much out of the reports. And I don't believe we can really tell all that much from them. But my opinion is not an indictment of anyone that does. I'm glad you and others do. More power to you. Have a blast.

GO BILLS!!!

The important consideration is what does OBD get out of OTAs and mini-camp.

I really hope our defense is THAT amazing, and not our offensive line being a mess. :D

My opinion from an oline perspective: Facing blitzes without lowers on, let alone no pads at all, is BS and really all that is gained out of it is positioning. A one-on-one battle against a guy with a 3 yard running start who you can't go low on gives you little opportunity at success. Also, without shoulder pads on it gives you nothing to grab onto with inside hand position. Futher putting them at a disadvantage even in non blitzing situations. Edited by Carey Bender

My opinion from an oline perspective: Facing blitzes without lowers on, let alone no pads at all, is BS and really all that is gained out of it is positioning. A one-on-one battle against a guy with a 3 yard running start who you can't go low on gives you little opportunity at success. Also, without shoulder pads on it gives you nothing to grab onto with inside hand position. Futher putting them at a disadvantage even in non blitzing situations.

This is true. All of it.

But man, our guys look GREAT in shorts!

GO BILLS!!!