Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

While I doubt they're lazy, having "lives and plans" didn't stop the rest of our team from being there. I understand nfl players have lives of their own, but I'm sorry, not showing up to voluntary mini camps when you've just gotten paid and joined a new "family" is a bad move imo. They've been in the league several years. They know these mini camps exist and should plan things around them....like the rest of the team has. It's a poor start with a new team IMO.

Does anyone know if they've been in Buffalo working out (voluntary conditioning program) prior to this? That would add some insight as to whether their absence should be considered a concern.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if they've been in Buffalo working out (voluntary conditioning program) prior to this? That would add some insight as to whether their absence should be considered a concern.

Yes, they both where there in April:

Although in attendance on Wednesday, Manny Lawson was not at the third day of workouts. Jairus Byrd, who has still yet to sign his franchise tag, was not in attendance for any of the three days.

On defense when the Bills went in to 3-4 looks, Marcell Dareus played nose tackle a majority of the time. Alan Branch and Alex Carrington played the ends beside him, while Mario Williams was an outside linebacker.

http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=12833414

While I doubt they're lazy, having "lives and plans" didn't stop the rest of our team from being there. I understand nfl players have lives of their own, but I'm sorry, not showing up to voluntary mini camps when you've just gotten paid and joined a new "family" is a bad move imo. They've been in the league several years. They know these mini camps exist and should plan things around them....like the rest of the team has. It's a poor start with a new team IMO.

If you think it'll have any effect Sundays in October then I think you are being a little dramatic. We have no idea what they are doing or where they are. It's very possible it's a very worthy cause.

Is it always exciting to hear all hands are on deck and everything's going perfect? Sure..... But It's a voluntary minicamp and things happen. Not a big deal.

If you think it'll have any effect Sundays in October then I think you are being a little dramatic. We have no idea what they are doing or where they are. It's very possible it's a very worthy cause.

Is it always exciting to hear all hands are on deck and everything's going perfect? Sure..... But It's a voluntary minicamp and things happen. Not a big deal.

Marrone said in his press conference there were a couple guys with personal issues to attend that we were aware of and fine with that were not in attendance. He sounded as if it was nothing whatsoever.

I agree with this.

I think players who show up to voluntary camps/work outs show they are dedicated to the team and winning. Those who don't (outside of ones who can't participate due to rules) show they generally only care about money. That is, unless there's a major personal emergency.

I have to say, I'm getting excited about the defensive scheming and the QB battle. All three QBs at the very least, throw a nice ball, so hopefully decision making is solid on one of them as well. Absolutely love that our defense isn't going to come out with the same look every down as well... and holy ****, blitzes? Unheard of.

I agree with this.

I think players who show up to voluntary camps/work outs show they are dedicated to the team and winning. Those who don't (outside of ones who can't participate due to rules) show they generally only care about money. That is, unless there's a major personal emergency.

Its about as much proof of that as the wonderlic is proof a guy cant handle a playbook.

Im sorry but these guys do have commitments, events, etc.... and a non-contact practice in May when they already have playbooks, have been in the conditioning program, have shown up to other OTAs, are vets that have been in the league for years.... lets not pile on and say they arent team players unless we find out that they are actually blowing things off. Id say thats especially true of Branch who is on about a months notice, and Dline at a OTA isnt exactly opening things up for real intense practice. If we find out that something important came up, or something that couldnt be moved was on the books i wont bat an eye. Have we cut Da'rick for not being mentioned by reporters on the first day yet?

Its about as much proof of that as the wonderlic is proof a guy cant handle a playbook.

Im sorry but these guys do have commitments, events, etc.... and a non-contact practice in May when they already have playbooks, have been in the conditioning program, have shown up to other OTAs, are vets that have been in the league for years.... lets not pile on and say they arent team players unless we find out that they are actually blowing things off. Id say thats especially true of Branch who is on about a months notice, and Dline at a OTA isnt exactly opening things up for real intense practice. If we find out that something important came up, or something that couldnt be moved was on the books i wont bat an eye. Have we cut Da'rick for not being mentioned by reporters on the first day yet?

I understand that there are valid and legitimate reasons for not being there. And I'm not suggesting guys should be cut, or anything. I just wonder about commitment depending on the reasons they aren't there.

I understand that there are valid and legitimate reasons for not being there. And I'm not suggesting guys should be cut, or anything. I just wonder about commitment depending on the reasons they aren't there.

Well, we have to worry about something, I suppose.

I'm not saying their bad teammates. I'm saying the not showing up is a bad move and not the best way to start off. I'm saying that the rest of the team scheduled events and other things around mini camp so they could attend. I'm sure manny lawson and Alan branch aren't the only guys with lives. I don't dislike the players because of it, but I think they could've made a better decision.....that is, if they aren't doing something extremely important. I don't know what they're doing, so its all admitted speculation on my part.

It's not worrying. I was simply making a comment regarding our 2 biggest defensive FAs. My opinion is that they could've made a better decision regarding attending unless they had a serious prior commitment that could not be missed. I don't know of that's the case or not.

Tashard Choice...can you imagine? :lol:

Goodwin gets my early vote, not only can he outrun the roadrunner but he seems adept at setting up and using the blockers in front of him. Could be Brad Smith too. I'd keep McKelvin away from the return game assuming he's a starter.

Uh we've been worried about EJ's running style and Da'Rick Rogers' quiet first two days of rookie camp.

There's plenty to worry about…. I haven't been sleeping….

Tashard Choice...can you imagine? :lol:

Goodwin gets my early vote, not only can he outrun the roadrunner but he seems adept at setting up and using the blockers in front of him. Could be Brad Smith too. I'd keep McKelvin away from the return game assuming he's a starter.

Yep. Immediately get Choice and McKelvin out of that mix for sure. Until we know otherwise, McKelvin is a starting cornerback. Choice is maybe a "blocking return man."

Da'Rick Rogers sitting due to injury?

Oh geez. Did I mention I'm having a hard time sleeping?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Kolb will look good until bullets start flying; some QBs always look good until there is real rush and contact.

You must just want to crawl up in the fetal position and wait for the season to be over.