How good does it feel to know that our QB wants and loves being in Buf

Just so I'm clear...what, precisely, are the "bad" points regarding this pick? Don't say draft position because clearly the Bills had a 1st round grade on him, and they got two extra picks in the process. There's also been plenty of statistical evidence brought up in the last week to refute any Kiper/McShay claims EJ is inaccurate or slow to read a defense. So what are these bad points?

To be fair, Mayock, Jaws and Cosell all had some reservations about EJ. None of them had him going ahead of Geno Smith.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got that right!

Marrone either should have selected QB Ryan Nassib in a later round or no QB at all.

Had Nix/Marrone selected Nassib they would have a QB familiar with working under Marrone and his staff. A soft of consultant-QB in Nassib. If Nassib succeeded then he gets the job going forward. If not then we find a new QB in the FA or next season draft.

Nix/Nassib selected the Franchise QB in EJ Manuel in the first round when they don't even know what kind of team they're going to have.

You think we were better off taking no QB at all versus taking the one that the entire evaluating committee deemed the best chance at being a franchise quarterback? That is absurd. Given the amount of time Marrone and Hackett spent with Nassib, I am going to trust their decision not to bet their futures on him. As far as taking no QB other than Nassib, they would be killed by fans and media alike for that decision if they had made it.

I think getting EJ liking being a Bill is refreshing, but even better...getting the UDFA's to come here. Many of them had a ton of offers, and they chose to come here. There is finally a coaching staff in Buffalo that is attracting talent.

Many people don't want to come to or be in Buffalo, until after they come once.

No jokes please!

Geez, he kind of does make Jimbo look small standing next to him.

Buffalo, much like where I currently live, Pittsburgh, has an undeserved negative reputation.

...the entire evaluating committee deemed the best chance at being a franchise quarterback?

How do we know if EJ Manuel is a franchise QB when we don't know enough about the rest of the franchise (team)?

I would have preferred to have a team identity, with someone like Ryan Nassib as interim-consultant-QB, in place first. Then get a franchise QB whose skills are suited to that team identity.

How do we know if EJ Manuel is a franchise QB when we don't know enough about the rest of the franchise (team)?

I would have preferred to have a team identity, with someone like Ryan Nassib as interim-consultant-QB, in place first. Then get a franchise QB whose skills are suited to that team identity.

I guess I don't understand your argument, I think the offense as the way it's being designed definitely suits EJ's skillset. A fast back in CJ, a shifty receiver in Stevie, a possession receiver with twitch and speed in Woods, the possibility of TJ and Goodwin knocking off the top of defenses, a hb / fb hybrid in Gragg. I personally like the sounds of it, we will see what that entails once they start playing the game of football. I don't want to discount the guy prior to him stepping on the field.

To be fair, Mayock, Jaws and Cosell all had some reservations about EJ. None of them had him going ahead of Geno Smith.

True. And I don't think any of those guys participated in the QBs' meetings with teams or directly interviewed them concerning those reservations. It was all "tape study" and the worst thing they could say about him was he was a little "inconsistent" from what I recall. Then, you look at the career completion percentage, the winning percentage, etc., and you're left wondering if the only thing he did inconsistently was lose.

EJ Manuel should be happy that he's in Buffalo. Going into the draft he was at-best a fourth round pick but he got picked in the first round by people who don't know what they're doing.

There's going to be a lot of money associated with this blunder that EJ is going to get.

Which NFL front office do you work in?

You've got that right!

Marrone either should have selected QB Ryan Nassib in a later round or no QB at all.

Had Nix/Marrone selected Nassib they would have a QB familiar with working under Marrone and his staff. A soft of consultant-QB in Nassib. If Nassib succeeded then he gets the job going forward. If not then we find a new QB in the FA or next season draft.

Nix/Nassib selected the Franchise QB in EJ Manuel in the first round when they don't even know what kind of team they're going to have.

How embarrassing.

The hits keep on coming.

First, support your opening statement. Why should Nix (not Marrone) have drafted Nassib or no QB at all?

Second, you say Nassib is familiar with Marrone's offense and then immediately follow up by saying Marrone doesn't know what type of team hes going to have or what identity he wants to cultivate. How do you reconcile these two ideas? If the type of team and identity are totally unknown (an assumption I find to be poor at best) how do you know Nassib is a perfect fit?

Third, what type of contract do interim-consultant QBs sign? What is an interim-consultant QB? What the hell is an interim-consultant?

Fourth, if Manuel succeeds doesn't he get the job and if he doesn't work out won't we look to go in another direction in a few years? How would drafting Nassib provide any more flexibility in that regard? Also, how does that statement support anything else you've said?

Lastly, what team identity do you have with a one-year "interim-consultant" QB, and then what type of franchise QB fits that culture?

Edited by Jauronimo

Teams, or at least Offenses, get their identity from the QB, not the other way around. Do you think franchise QB's are so plentiful that we can wait for the team to develop an identity and then go out and get the QB that best fits the team? You need a leader to start with and then build from there.

It was the USFL, but yes, it was pretty bad. That ESPN show was discussed at length in another thread, but what's REALLY crazy is that if the Bills' secretary had not put the call from the USFL in to Kelly's agent, he would have signed the contract and started his career in Buffalo 3 years sooner.

Unreal.

I wonder if it was the same secretary who gave EJ a big bear hug when he walked into One Bills Drive?

Wow. How could we have hired a coach who doesn't even know what kind of team they're going to have?

I guess I don't understand your argument

I don't think he does either.

Cynical...but cannot argue your points.

I'll put you and Howard down for thinking the EJ pick was a bad mistake. Thanks for voting.

EJ Manuel should be happy that he's in Buffalo. Going into the draft he was at-best a fourth round pick but he got picked in the first round by people who don't know what they're doing.

There's going to be a lot of money associated with this blunder that EJ is going to get.

Lol

Manuel was reached for with the 16th pick and will make millions because of it. Everyone would love being in that situation.

I think getting EJ liking being a Bill is refreshing, but even better...getting the UDFA's to come here.

That's not a positive with some of the cases this year. Rogers only chose Buffalo because his agents told him this was the easiest team for him to play on. Pough, because of scheme and our LBs being garbage.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

I'm with the OP...it is exciting that EJ is so happy to be here.

Fitz wasn't all that happy when he first came to Blo, and if you asked Edwards or Losman before the draft

which team did they hope to get picked by I guarantee you the Bills didn't even cross their mind. Yes, all 3

were happy to be a Bill when it meant getting a starting job and Fitz and JP definitely embraced the City once

here, but this kid hoped that the Bills would draft him. What?

Before the draft, I was leaning towards trading down and then nabbing Barkley the in 1st or 2nd...but I couldn't be happier

with the EJ pick...everything about it feels right. I may be wrong (I have been many times before) and maybe

it doesn't work out, but when he was on the stage at the draft after embracing Goddell, I blurted out...this

kid is a star. Just my gut reaction. And he's excited about coming to Buffalo. Screw the he could've been

had in the 4th round crowd...as Buddy himself has stated, we missed on some QBs in the past for waiting

too long. We don't know where he would have gone if the Bills didn't take him, I'm just glad they got the guy

they wanted. Remember Buddy was really high on Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernik and EJ is in that same mold.

Interesting tidbit...I tried to catch all of the Gruden QB camps on ESPN but only ever saw an edited down version

of the EJ interview that focused on Gruden talking about how bad EJ's ball security and sleeves were. The other day

I finally watched the full segment on Youtube, its crappy quality because its some guy taping his TV, but Gruden

gushed all the way through it. EJ looked real comfortable dissecting plays on the board, and at one point as they're

watching tape and talking about the draft, Gruden says to EJ (looking at EJ on film), "Why aren't you the first pick in the draft".

It wasn't a what's wrong with your game that makes teams shy away from you type of question, it was rhetorical, like he was saying

I can't figure out why this kid isn't gonna be the first QB off the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRIqTUzCwk

Anyhow, I'm on the EJ bandwagon as far as it rolls.

Edited by folz

I'm with the OP...it is exciting that EJ is so happy to be here.

Fitz wasn't all that happy when he first came to Blo, and if you asked Edwards or Losman before the draft

which team did they hope to get picked by I guarantee you the Bills didn't even cross their mind. Yes, all 3

were happy to be a Bill when it meant getting a starting job and Fitz and JP definitely embraced the City once

here, but this kid hoped that the Bills would draft him. What?

Before the draft, I was leaning towards trading down and then nabbing Barkley the in 1st or 2nd...but I couldn't be happier

with the EJ pick...everything about it feels right. I may be wrong (I have been many times before) and maybe

it doesn't work out, but when he was on the stage at the draft after embracing Goddell, I blurted out...this

kid is a star. Just my gut reaction. And he's excited about coming to Buffalo. Screw the he could've been

had in the 4th round crowd...as Buddy himself has stated, we missed on some QBs in the past for waiting

too long. We don't know where he would have gone if the Bills didn't take him, I'm just glad they got the guy

they wanted. Remember Buddy was really high on Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernik and EJ is in that same mold.

Interesting tidbit...I tried to catch all of the Gruden QB camps on ESPN but only ever saw an edited down version

of the EJ interview that focused on Gruden talking about how bad EJ's ball security and sleeves were. The other day

I finally watched the full segment on Youtube, its crappy quality because its some guy taping his TV, but Gruden

gushed all the way through it. EJ looked real comfortable dissecting plays on the board, and at one point as they're

watching tape and talking about the draft, Gruden says to EJ (looking at EJ on film), "Why isn't this kid the #1 pick in the draft".

It wasn't a what's wrong with your game that makes teams shy away from you type of question, it was rhetorical, like he was saying

I can't figure out why this kid isn't gonna be the first QB off the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRIqTUzCwk

Anyhow, I'm on the EJ bandwagon as far as it rolls.

Did you notice that EJ was wearing Buffalo Blue.

It IS NEW, really. At least - there's a difference between EJ Manuel and Mario Williams. We had to overpay to get Mario to come here - and he did so with a smile, and polite words - but any observer could tell, Buffalo was not the place he'd of preferred going to, it was the place that paid him the most. We get that a lot with F.A.'s - the question is always asked, "why did you decide to come to Buffalo?" - and, we the listener always know, it's because of the money! Free Agents don't want to come to Buffalo otherwise.

Well, here is a kid who gets drafted in the 1st round, the 1st QB taken - he's a big, athletic kid, smart, fashionable, cool - you can tell he's going to be in commercials, hanging out with stars, a real NFL personality - and he walks on stage with a huge grin like it was the coolest moment in the world. The difference between EJ Manuel and most everyone else that has come to Buffalo of late - if it's been drafted players, they are "just happy to get a chance", but they don't really know much of anything about Buffalo, other than it's sucked for the last decade plus. Same with FA's - they don't want to be here, but they're getting the most money to do so; they don't want to be here because the team has been a black hole for over a decade. Now, the difference with EJ is that the Bills EJ has in mind when he walks on that stage are the Bills of his God Father - Bruce Smith - the Bills that went to 4 straight Super Bowls.

EJ Manuel has a different view of the Bills. He sees it as a cool place to come play, with young, innovative coaching; a team that is going to be FUN to play for, and a team that is going to shock some people. He's not carrying all that UNSPOKEN hesitation, or baggage, with him that is associated with Buffalo. A player like that - a high profile WINNING QB (if he becomes a good player and we start winning) will draw players to Buffalo. Thats the cool thing - the Bills have a chance to redefine themselves here, and become a young, NEW Bills team that players will want to play for, and that, if this works out, will have been worth the 1st round pick in and of itself!

To be fair, Mario seems to be captivated and excited by the new coaching staff.

Mel Kiper trolling on the TBD message board . . .

That just seems super foolish to me. They obviously think Manuel has much bigger upside, has all the tools and attributes, and is by coachable. He can help define this new team identity. So why draft a guy you believe to be inferior, whom you have four years of direct evidence on, when the guy you like best is right there and you think you can win with him?

Btw what was New England's identity pre-Brady? Remind me.

Teams, or at least Offenses, get their identity from the QB, not the other way around. Do you think franchise QB's are so plentiful that we can wait for the team to develop an identity and then go out and get the QB that best fits the team? You need a leader to start with and then build from there.

Oh I agree that is the latest trend, but I disagree entirely that that is the only way to do it. The Dolphins did it without a great quarterback in the 70s, but an incredible running game and an outstanding defense and the Redskins and the Hogs did it in the 80s and early 90s with an aging quarterback and two numb skulls behind center and a great defense. The Ravens did it with who is that idiot sports announcer on ESPN.

Even the team this year in Flacco wasn't the team's identity till the last game. Though the QB position can be very important, it doesn't always win superbowl otherwise Tom Brady would have at least 5 wins and it is not required, but that is the lastest catch term on ESPN and by repeating it over and over again like the drones at Fox news it has you all believing it. Pulease.

Edited by North Buffalo1

The Bottom Line: There's way too many changes from the new HC down to the the players, scemes, etc, I would have waited a year to let the dust settle before finding a franchise QB in FA or the draft. Especially since the class of 2013 didn't have any stellar QBs.

The Bottom Line: There's way too many changes from the new HC down to the the players, scemes, etc, I would have waited a year to let the dust settle before finding a franchise QB in FA or the draft. Especially since the class of 2013 didn't have any stellar QBs.

That whole "There's way too many changes for this team to be successful this year" mentality doesn't convince me - when a team hasn't surpassed 7 wins with a 3 year coaching staff, and that staff seems to be regressing, while running the simplist defense in the NFL, CHANGE is the only way the team is going to get better.

Yeah, we have a new coaching staff and a bunch of new players, but lets not forget - THIS IS JUST FOOTBALL!!! These guys have been doing this their whole lives. All they have to do is learn their playbook - and they have the entire summer and early fall to do so - and, once the season starts, it's not a new team trying to do a whole years worth of work every week - it's a merely one-week-at-a-time game planning.

Remember, Baltimore fired it's offensive Coordinator last year right before the end of the regular season, and the team IMPROVED enough to win the SuperBowl. It's fair to say had they not done that they wouldn't have been the SB winners.

We can win this year. I'm not predicting Super Bowl. I am predicting 9 or 10 wins. And WE'LL BE GETTING BETTER from here out!

If you subscribe to the notion there was a decent amount of talent already on the roster, coaching has been significantly upgraded, and several needs were adequately addressed (most importantly, at QB and WR), then there is no reason to believe the Bills can't turn a 6-10 record the other way.

Or, you can take the opposite perspective (no talent, "raw" coaches, can't expect rookies to contribute) and conclude the Bills will go 2-14.

It's your choice.

You don't pick up a franchise QB in FA, if the Bills stink this coming year, draft another QB till you hit on the right one. Drafting QBs is such a crap shoot anyway.

Either Franchise QB or just one that can be part of a Superbowl winning team, I don't care which, just as long as the coach and players can make it work and that won't be known until the end of next year unless some of you are Nostradamus and even then I am skeptical.

Oh I agree that is the latest trend, but I disagree entirely that that is the only way to do it. The Dolphins did it without a great quarterback in the 70s,

Even the team this year in Flacco wasn't the team's identity till the last game. Though the QB position can be very important, it doesn't always win superbowl otherwise Tom Brady would have at least 5 wins and it is not required, but that is the lastest catch term on ESPN and by repeating it over and over again like the drones at Fox news it has you all believing it. Pulease.

To your first paragraph, I understand your point but FWIW, Bob Griese is in the Hall of Fame.

To your second paragraph, 2003 (Brad Johnson) was the last year a Super Bowl was won by a QB who wasn't considered one of the top QBs in the game.

Today it's considered essential to have a top caliber QB to even reach the Super Bowl.

To your first paragraph, I understand your point but FWIW, Bob Griese is in the Hall of Fame.

To your second paragraph, 2003 (Brad Johnson) was the last year a Super Bowl was won by a QB who wasn't considered one of the top QBs in the game.

Today it's considered essential to have a top caliber QB to even reach the Super Bowl.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your general sentiment but I do disagree with the Brad Johnson statement. I don't think Flaco is considered one of the best QBs in the game. He plays like one in the playoffs (which is a big part of why they won it) but overall I'm not even sure I'd consider him a top 10 QB.

That being said, I agree with your point - you need a top flight QB to have a legitimate, year in year out, chance at the SB.

I don't think Stephon Gilmore was either to be honest... but we'll be fine regardless :)

Gilmore will be gone after his rookie contract is up. You can bet on that. Watch 'em draft corners in 2014-15. Bills = minor league baseball farm team for rest of NFL

Ummmm... Marrone and Hackett changed their entire offense two weeks before the season started last year. The result? Marrone got an NFL head coaching job out of it.

Isn't this what we were saying when we drafted J P Losman? Trent Edwards? The best quarterbacks we ever had were not enamored with the idea of coming here. Jim Kelly went to the Houston Gamblers and Jack Kemp got here on a waiver screw up. We seem to have our best luck with guys who aren't necessarily in love with the place. We're Buffalo...we have to kind of grown on you.

He is Bruce Smith's godson. He's from Hampton Roads. It's all I need. I BILLieve

Is Flacco considered one of the top QB in the game?

It seems to me that "top QB in the game" is a designation that to some extent is applied retrospectively, AFTER a QB wins "The Game".

SJBF, while Brad Johnson was a decent QB during his career, and certainly not "franchise" guy, I have always disagreed with your argument of the '02 buccs. Brad Johnson played at a pro bowl level that season for TB and was a huge reason as to why they won the SB. So he doesn't really fit the argument, as Tampa got top level QB play in their Super Bowl season, even if it wasn't from a franchise guy. You'd need to go back to dilfer to find poor QB play on a SB winning team.

But I agree top level QBing is essential, and a requisite to win in today's NFL.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your general sentiment but I do disagree with the Brad Johnson statement. I don't think Flaco is considered one of the best QBs in the game. He plays like one in the playoffs (which is a big part of why they won it) but overall I'm not even sure I'd consider him a top 10 QB.

That being said, I agree with your point - you need a top flight QB to have a legitimate, year in year out, chance at the SB.

Is Flacco considered one of the top QB in the game?

It seems to me that "top QB in the game" is a designation that to some extent is applied retrospectively, AFTER a QB wins "The Game".

SJBF, while Brad Johnson was a decent QB during his career, and certainly not "franchise" guy, I have always disagreed with your argument of the '02 buccs. Brad Johnson played at a pro bowl level that season for TB and was a huge reason as to why they won the SB. So he doesn't really fit the argument, as Tampa got top level QB play in their Super Bowl season, even if it wasn't from a franchise guy. You'd need to go back to dilfer to find poor QB play on a SB winning team.

But I agree top level QBing is essential, and a requisite to win in today's NFL.

Anyways, the common point I was trying to make to North Buffalo1 is all bolded, whatever other semantics or tags we disagree on.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

There we no franchise qbs in the 2000 nfl draft.

Signed, Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger and Tom Brady

Mel Kiper trolling on the TBD message board . . .

:lol:

One of the reasons why E.J. wanted to be a Buffalo Bill besides the usual was also because he said that after one of his interviews with the Bills, when Nathaniel Hackett was taking him back to the airport, Hackett was telling E.J. on how to be great in life, not just

in football, and that was what sold Buffalo to Manual.