The Offensive Line Is Still Terrible

Something tells me we should have taken Chance Warmack at 8. Instead of yet another terrible QB. Now, our line still sucks and we are putting a crappy QB behind it. Best part of all. We will not think of taking a QB again for the next three years because we have to see if Manuel "will work out."

I'm not sure about the EJ Manuel pick just yet, but I'm not even close to ready to call him crappy. I'd say that about every QB this year. After watching all the footage on Nassib, Barkley, and smith, I came away feeling like Barkley was Trent Edwards 2.0, Nassib looked a bit like Drew Breese, and Smith looked confused most of the time, with his receivers usually so wide open, it was hard to tell if he was good, or they were just that wide open. so crappy is tough to say right now, and the O-line wasn't terrible either...

Check again in November

We will...But something tells me you won't be around by then to be accountable...

The Bills O-Line definitely graded out in the top half of the league last year...I can't remember exactly what number they came in at...But it certainly was not bad...And you do understand our new Head Coach was an NFL O-Lineman, and Coached the O-Line previously in the league right? B-)

It was average at best before we lost our best offensive lineman to FA

I agree with you on the o-line being problematic, particularly since we lost a QB who was good at masking the o-line problems (Fitz) and replaced him with a guy who regularly makes his o-lines look ten times worse than they are (Kolb).

But, right or wrong, this FO has made it clear that that they have no interest in paying an interior lineman a lot of money.

It wouldn't shock me that we start looking at guards in the bottom half of the draft.

Glenn, Wood, and Urbik are solid. The RT will be from among Pears, Hairston, and Sanders and should be solid. They need to replace Levitre, whose forte was pass-blocking. But there are 6 more rounds and FA still to do this.

Glenn, Wood, and Urbik are solid. The RT will be from among Pears, Hairston, and Sanders and should be solid. They need to replace Levitre, whose forte was pass-blocking. But there are 6 more rounds and FA still to do this.

And 2 picks in the 2nd today I believe.

Correct!

Something tells me we should have taken Chance Warmack at 8. Instead of yet another terrible QB. Now, our line still sucks and we are putting a crappy QB behind it. Best part of all. We will not think of taking a QB again for the next three years because we have to see if Manuel "will work out."

You should stop listening to whatever is telling you that.

It wouldn't shock me that we start looking at guards in the bottom half of the draft.

Why are you not confident in the stable of young OL Nix and company have brought in over the last few years to be groomed.

Do you think a late rd G is going ot step in and outperform one of the many late rd UDFA practice squad groomed OL we have on the roster already ?

75 Hairston, Chris LT 6-6 330 24 2 Clemson

64 Eckerson, Hutch OL 6-6 310 25 1 South Carolina

62 Grant, Adam OL 6-6 320 26 1 Arizona

72 Sanders, Zebrie OL 6-6 318 23 R Florida State

73 Scott, Chris OL 6-4 320 25 2 Tennessee

61 Snow, David OL 6-4 305 23 R Texas

74 Brown, Colin C 6-7 326 27 2 Missouri

70 Wood, Eric C 6-4 310 27 4 Louisville

79 Pears, Erik RT 6-8 316 30 7 Colorado State

71 Young, Sam RT 6-8 316 25 3 Notre Dame

51 White, Chris OLB 6-3 238 24 2 Mississippi State

77Glenn, Cordy OT 6-5 343 23 R Georgia

60 Urbik, Kraig G 6-5 324 27 4 Wisconsin

68 Williams, Keith G 6-5 330 25 1 Nebraska

We'll probably bring in an OL in this draft and/or UDFA, and we will see a few new OL make the roster and practice squads as some of the guys who've been around for a couple of years will be given another shot this year to impress> Those who make the jump stick around those who do not get replaced with a new batch of young groomable OL... The Bills IMO have a solid plan keeping the OL stables up.

one thing I am not worried about is our OL situation

Edited by shibuya

Buddy has been able to find some decent lineman off of other teams scrap heaps. Urbik, Rinehart, Pears

Hairston was a 4th round pick who, so far, has been serviceable. I'm eager to see what Zebrie Sanders brings us this year.

I'm confident in Buddy finding us some talent to upgrade our interior.

3 are solid, but not great at this point. 2 big holes at LG and RT... Pears is terrible IMO, and we have no legit LG option without moving someone, or drafting signing someone, which will still be a big ?

maybe Sanders can fill one but we have no idea really. maybe Hairston can move to Guard, but again, no idea. i think it is a pretty big concern, but they were NEVER going to draft a GUard at 8. if you don't want to pay one, why would you draft them high? woulda loved an OT but the big 3 were gone. looking like maybe a patch job this year, or at least a "let's see what we got".

Edited by Brainiac21

3 are solid, but not great at this point. 2 big holes at LG and RT... Pears is terrible IMO, and we have no legit LG option without moving someone, or drafting signing someone, which will still be a big ?

maybe Sanders can fill one but we have no idea really. maybe Hairston can move to Guard, but again, no idea. i think it is a pretty big concern, but they were NEVER going to draft a GUard at 8. if you don't want to pay one, why would you draft them high? woulda loved an OT but the big 3 were gone. looking like maybe a patch job this year, or at least a "let's see what we got".

You don't know what is really on the roster because the Bills have quietly brought in solid OL and have kept a few on the practice roster for grooming

Colin Brown and Snow looked decent in their 1st real action last year, Sanders will get a chance, and there are plenty of other player son our roster that will be just as or more ready to step in then any 2nd rd or ;later OL we could grab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoRBxEONrIE

This is why there should be a minimum post count before you can start a thread......

It was average at best before we lost our best offensive lineman to FA

8th in fewest sacks allowed and 2nd in rushing yards is NOT "average at best"...and that was with multiple injuries and turnover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoRBxEONrIE

Well now I am even more happy that the Bills drafted a QB who can scramble

CBF

It seems, at least from 2010-12, that Nix differs significantly with the rest of the NFL on what to look for in lineman. Of the 8 OL picked 1-20, only Fluker goes above 320. OTOH, Nix drafted Cordy Glenn as a tackle who is about 345 and picked Hairston who goes about 330. Bottom line is, the league is getting smaller and more mobile at OL to support pass first offenses. Nix, at least in those drafts and via the UDFA/waiver wire market, has gone bigger.

The premium placed on pass blocking to support these pass first offenses is increasing. Most teams aren't looking for 330 pounds who might win in a phone booth but struggle with speed. And it's why teams are going earlier with blockers and not just this year. You just don't typically find athletic lineman who can handle edge rushers and in late rounds and via UDFA, street FA's, or the waiver wire.

How did I know the OP would have less than 100 posts?

Quite the influx this last week or so. I wish WoW would have some secret super meet so these nerds would have something better to do (no offense to anyone into WoW, kinda).