Fred Davis Signs With Skins

box0life

Another failure by this front office. Can't lure free agents with no QB and no real plan. I'll give them credit for at least trying, but unless they over pay, I don't see them landing any significant free agents. Nix has been an absolute failure throughout his Bills tenure and it starts with the Gailey hire. We are a laughingstock again and it is getting very old. Add Regier as a total failure also. What has he done to improve this team.as we sit near the bottom of the standings with an owner that will freely spend for a winner. Why is Regier and Nix still employed?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another failure by this front office. Can't lure free agents with no QB and no real plan. I'll give them credit for at least trying, but unless they over pay, I don't see them landing any significant free agents. Nix has been an absolute failure throughout his Bills tenure and it starts with the Gailey hire. We are a laughingstock again and it is getting very old. Add Regier as a total failure also. What has he done to improve this team.as we sit near the bottom of the standings with an owner that will freely spend for a winner. Why is Regier and Nix still employed?

So, the front office is a failure for not overpaying?

Frankly, I'm not that concerned with this. Davis would have been a decent addition IF he was fully healed and IF his off-field antics didn't overtake his on field play. I expect that the Bills' offer took those things into account and must not have looked much better than the Redskins. I highly doubt if the Bills were offering him 2x what the 'skins are. If that were the case, Davis would be an unusual player and person to turn it down. I've turned down a job offer that was for more money to avoid having to move. If it were 2x what I was making, I would have jumped, but it was more like 30% more to move from Albany to DC, which wouldn't even cover living expenses down there. Whatever the Delta the Bills were offering might not have been enough to get him to uproot his existence. I view this as shrewd by the Bills, not a sign that DOOOOOOM

As a GM Nix DID fail in hiring, and retaining, Gailey. However - Nix (and, presumably, any other GM candidate) - was in a tough spot from the beginning, as he came into a team that was a failure, backward, run poorly, and everyone in the NFL community regarded Buffalo as a joke BEFORE Nix came into his position. The whole - from Brandon, to Nix, to Whaley, to Marrone, have to put together a decent team WITH our limitations (FA's not wanting to come here) before we'll be able to lure anyone here WITHOUT overpaying. That's the challenge here - and I think Marrone is aware of that, and probably that is going to be a part of the draft philosophy (more pressure to draft excellently, as FA is not an easy answer for us).

As a GM Nix DID fail in hiring, and retaining, Gailey. However - Nix (and, presumably, any other GM candidate) - was in a tough spot from the beginning, as he came into a team that was a failure, backward, run poorly, and everyone in the NFL community regarded Buffalo as a joke BEFORE Nix came into his position. The whole - from Brandon, to Nix, to Whaley, to Marrone, have to put together a decent team WITH our limitations (FA's not wanting to come here) before we'll be able to lure anyone here WITHOUT overpaying. That's the challenge here - and I think Marrone is aware of that, and probably that is going to be a part of the draft philosophy (more pressure to draft excellently, as FA is not an easy answer for us).

Nix is a failure for one reason Fitzpatrick. We have not addressed QB. No one wants to !@#$ing play here with no QB. Even rookies know its a QB league and you MUST have a QB and we don't have one.

Edited by Kellyto83TD

So, where do we go from here? Even if Chandler is healthy, we need a TE who can stretch the field. I don't see one available in FA so we're gonna have to draft one and because there are more pressing needs (QB, WR, 2 quality LBs, G?) we'll have to wait to draft one later--perhaps, in the 5th. Davis was a risk (not gonna debate that here, we did that at great length in another thread) but the upside was BIG and he settled on a one year deal so even if it didn't work out it was only a one and done. If Chandler isn't 100% we're REALLY weak at TE which means our weak WRs will be less effective and defenses can focus on neutralizing Spiller. Domino effect...

No sure we really wanted Fred Davis with his history of injuries and head case problems. I am overly concerned though with this teams'/Nix's failure to do really anything except make more holes on this team. This team is becoming more of a joke as is Buddy himself.

Well, let's look at what TEs are left in free agency (as of today).

Dallas Clark

Kevin Boss

Kellen Winslow

Todd Heap

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

David Thomas

Matthew Mulligan

Randy McMichael

Chris Cooley

Dante Rosario

Travis Beckum

Edited by BillsGuyInBallstonSpa

That poor schlub now has to continue to put up with the frustration that is RGIII and playing for a defending division champion.

Haha...sucker!

I'd have done absolutely the same thing in Davis' position.

Dallas Clark

Kevin Boss

Kellen Winslow

Todd Heap

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

David Thomas

Matthew Mulligan

Randy McMichael

Chris Cooley

Dante Rosario

Travis Beckum

A Who's Who of the TE position mid/late 2000's Wow!

Edited by filthymcnasty08

we never had a chance......

he wanted to stay with the redskins all along. he used the bills to set the market.

in fact, he only signed a one year deal with Wash to help them with their salary cap issue.

Hopefully for the Skins they signed him to a half-year deal. Because that's the best they're going to get out of him.

I'm not sure I'd call failing to sign a guy who is coming off a major injury a failure. Seriously, dude, stay away from sharp objects.

we never had a chance......

he wanted to stay with the redskins all along. he used the bills to set the market.

in fact, he only signed a one year deal with Wash to help them with their salary cap issue.

Actually, I bet we offered what he was worth and he didn't like it.

Actually, I bet we offered what he was worth and he didn't like it.

The Bills allegedly offered more money for more years ...

Marrone has a lot of work cut out for him this year.

Dallas Clark

Kevin Boss

Kellen Winslow

Todd Heap

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

David Thomas

Matthew Mulligan

Randy McMichael

Chris Cooley

Dante Rosario

Travis Beckum

Funny that with all these guys available, some experts want the bills to over pay a guy who is hurt with an injury that makes him a question mark next year anyway. And whats even a bigger laugh they will take shots at Nix.

Dallas Clark

Kevin Boss

Kellen Winslow

Todd Heap

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

David Thomas

Matthew Mulligan

Randy McMichael

Chris Cooley

Dante Rosario

Travis Beckum

Good point.

Actually I wonder if Davis preferred a one-year deal and that was the issue. This way he gets to prove he is healthy and he'll hit the market again in a year with a lot more leverage.

Could be. I doubt the Bills were offering a lot more and it tied him down for another year at a cheaper price than he feels he's worth, since he's injured.

I, for one, ain't happy about it. It was a risk worth taking. Granted, he did the right thing if all he wanted was the one year prove it deal. But we very likely could have had him with another million dollars or so total over two years. He wouldn't be getting any kind of serious bonus so it wouldnt really hurt us if he wasnt back. If he was, or if he was coming on strong, we have him relatively cheap for one year and then can franchise him if we can't sign him long term. He's going to be ready by training camp to play, and even at 80-90% he would have been a threat, and one we really need. Again, it was a risk worth taking, looking at our roster, the number of holes we need to fill, and the kind of offense we're going to run.

Can't blame him for re-signing. But unquestionably he thinks he's going to be ready to play the whole year or he wouldn't have signed the one year prove it to me contract.

Actually I wonder if Davis preferred a one-year deal and that was the issue. This way he gets to prove he is healthy and he'll hit the market again in a year with a lot more leverage.

You nailed it. Davis is thinking that if he can show that he's healthy and close to what he was, he can cash in big time next year.

Part of me wonders if OBD isnt making many signings because a lot of these guys currently on the market want only a 1 year deal to try and cash in again next year, whereas OBD wants them for multiple years to build a team.

Buffalo Bills = leverage

There was a clear reason why Nix, Marrone went after the kid in free agency as he is a gamer. In 2011 he was suspended 4 games for failing a drug test and yet still managed to be the Skins offensive player of the year. He managed to get the franchise tag from the Skins last year (2012) as he was starting to become a top TE in the league.

If you thought Marshawn Lynch had some bad baggage attached to him... well, Fred Davis is worse with an injury that will take a full year to heal, and one toke away from a year long suspension.

Could he have helped the Bills fill a big need at TE, heck yes. Would he have come with some troubles like Shawn Merrimen, yes.

Mike Shanahan probably phoned the kid and explained the difference between a team having a top QB and a team wanting one.

P.S. besides if it takes him 1/2 this season to finally get healthy he has the option going to Buffalo next year after he watches what the team does this year. Smart move IMO

Edited by FeartheLosing

Buffalo Bills = leverage

There was a clear reason why Nix, Marrone went after the kid in free agency as he is a gamer. In 2011 he was suspended 4 games for failing a drug test and yet still managed to be the Skins offensive player of the year. He managed to get the franchise tag from the Skins last year (2012) as he was starting to become a top TE in the league.

If you thought Marshawn Lynch had some bad baggage attached to him... well, Fred Davis is worse with an injury that will take a full year to heal, and one toke away from a year long suspension.

Could he have helped the Bills fill a big need at TE, heck yes. Would he have come with some troubles like Shawn Merrimen, yes.

Mike Shanahan probably phoned the kid and explained the difference between a team having a top QB and a team wanting one.

Meh. They could and should've just upped their offer a bit. This is typical behavior. Fly the whole front office out to wine and dine him and then stick him with a lowball offer structured by Overdorf.

Meh. They could and should've just upped their offer a bit. This is typical behavior. Fly the whole front office out to wine and dine him and then stick him with a lowball offer structured by Overdorf.

Exactly. The reporter from Washington who was all over this said the Bills offer was slightly better but not enough to make it an easy decision to take. The Bills offered two years.

Exactly. The reporter from Washington who was all over this said the Bills offer was slightly better but not enough to make it an easy decision to take. The Bills offered two years.

Bottom line: Until this team gets a QB worth playing for, it will be next to impossible to lure FA's on the offensive side of the ball. Unless they massively overpay.

Edited by Like A Mofo