Fred Davis Signs With Skins

box0life

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line: Until this team gets a QB worth playing for, it will be next to impossible to lure FA's on the offensive side of the ball. Unless they massively overpay.

The thing is, I don't at all think they had to massively overpay. They had to take a million dollar risk on a 130 million salary cap. For something that could help in numerous ways.

I would have had no interest in signing him to a one year deal. He is unliklely to be anywhere near 100% at any point in the 2013 season. I'm fine with missing out on him. You would not be getting the healthy Fred Davis. You'd be paying him while he rehabs. No Thanks.

I would have had no interest in signing him to a one year deal. He is unliklely to be anywhere near 100% at any point in the 2013 season. I'm fine with missing out on him. You would not be getting the healthy Fred Davis. You'd be paying him while he rehabs. No Thanks.

If he was the one insisting on a one-year deal, I agree with you 100%. However, it's equally possible that the Bills could've convinced him to take a 2 or 3-year deal by simply adding more cash to it.

The thing is, I don't at all think they had to massively overpay. They had to take a million dollar risk on a 130 million salary cap. For something that could help in numerous ways.

\

Very true, but I am sure at the end of the day it was about 'I don't want to be stuck in Buffalo for 2 years if they don't get that QB' and I can go back to Washington with RGIII, have a good year, and then sign for more in 2014. It still comes back to this FO's inability to figure out the QB position.

\

Very true, but I am sure at the end of the day it was about 'I don't want to be stuck in Buffalo for 2 years if they don't get that QB' and I can go back to Washington with RGIII, have a good year, and then sign for more in 2014. It still comes back to this FO's inability to figure out the QB position.

No, I am sure at the end of the day it was about Overdorf putting a ceiling on the amount of the offer and refusing to budge, even though an additional $750K-$1M over two years probably would've tipped the balance in our favor. For a team with a significant amount of holes, almost no quality skill position players, and a lot of cap room, that behavior is inexcusable (but typical).

Edited by Coach Tuesday

No, I am sure at the end of the day it was about Overdorf putting a ceiling on the amount of the offer and refusing to budge, even though an additional $750K-$1M over two years probably would've tipped the balance in our favor. For a team with a significant amount of holes, almost no quality skill position players, and a lot of cap room, that behavior is inexcusable (but typical).

I don't dispute you about Overdorf and his involvement, but in this situation, I really think it was a combination of factors. Plus an Achilles injury is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to risk. I would have not gone overboard with an offer either.

We can kick and scream about Overdork till the cows come home, until this team gets a QB worth a damn, expect more of this.

You mean the front office that liked the guy so much they flew to D.C. en masse to wine and dine him? That's the problem.

What problem? That they exercised due diligence and then decided no?

You want to spin it that way, fine. Doesn't sound to me like the coaches decided no (or even the GM for that matter). Sounds like the talent evaluators wanted him, and he is the one who said know to what the beancounters offered him.

You want to spin it that way, fine. Doesn't sound to me like the coaches decided no (or even the GM for that matter). Sounds like the talent evaluators wanted him, and he is the one who said know to what the beancounters offered him.

You're making assumptions out the yin-yang.

They didn't decide no, Davis did. They decided to lowball him. They offered him a two year contract.

I understand it's a tricky business to put a value on these players, and even trickier on one coming off an injury like this. But this would not have cost a lot or hurt them at all even if it failed because of the low money.

You're making assumptions out the yin-yang.

Perhaps, but they're more grounded in the facts we know of than yours are. We know the Bills' brass flew out to have dinner with him. That suggests they were interested. We know they then flew him in for a physical and to tour the facilities. That further suggest they were interested. We then know that they made him an offer. That confirms that they were interested. We know that the offer was better than what the 'Skins offered. That proves that they were quite interested. We also know that he turned the offer down. So you tell me, what are you basing it off of when you assert that we were the ones who said no?

we never had a chance......

he wanted to stay with the redskins all along. he used the bills to set the market.

in fact, he only signed a one year deal with Wash to help them with their salary cap issue.

reportedly, the bills offer was only "slightly" better.

the player all along preferred staying with the Redskins.

the free agent market is very soft, Davis is coming off an Achilles injury which comes with big risk. the player decided to bet on himself and accept a one year deal in hopes of hitting it big next year when he gets another shot at free agency. it also coincides with his preffered team, the redskins, being in much better shape salary cap wise, when they will be done with the huge cap penalty they incurred for the uncapped year.

How did he not pick us? Marrone is "dynamic" and Whaley is the next big thing. That's what they tell us at least

Actually, according to Davis himself, one of the reasons he strongly considered signing here is because he loved Marrone, and got along great with the Whaley and the others,

Looks like we won't be getting a TE in FA. We have so many holes and so few picks I can't seeing us using one on a TE unless it is a 5th or 6th. I say sign a barrel load of UDFAs for training camp and let them sort it out. Maybe one of them will be a passable fill in until Chandler is healthy. I don't see that we have any other choice at this late point in FA unless we want an old guy heading down the the wrong side of the hill. Actually we could kill two birds and sign a barrel load of UDFA QBs and let them throw to the barrel load of TEs in camp and see if anything clicks, you never know.

Edited by simpleman

Meh. They could and should've just upped their offer a bit. This is typical behavior. Fly the whole front office out to wine and dine him and then stick him with a lowball offer structured by Overdorf.

the offer was now a lowball?

How did he not pick us? Marrone is "dynamic" and Whaley is the next big thing. That's what they tell us at least

those seem to be two of the primary reasons we were in the running.