Fred Davis Signs With Skins

box0life

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the front office is a failure for not overpaying?

No, the front office is a failure for not doing ANYTHING to an already weak roster. To an already weak franchise for long over 10 years. This organization is indefensible.

You mean the front office that liked the guy so much they flew to D.C. en masse to wine and dine him? That's the problem.

Hey, Morton's is a great steakhouse! They got a good meal and probably spent less than a $1,000 to talk to the guy.

Worth the effort and it also shows they're not in panic mode by simply throwing a wad of cash at him. I get the sense the FO and HC know this is a rebuilding year, and while nice to have, Davis probably wouldn't have had much impact on the W-L record in 2013.

If he only wanted a 1-year prove contract, then both sides probably made a rational decision.

No, the front office is a failure for not doing ANYTHING to an already weak roster. To an already weak franchise for long over 10 years. This organization is indefensible.

That doesn't seem to stop the defenders around here...

If he only wanted a 1-year prove contract, then both sides probably made a rational decision.

I agree with that.

I get the sense the FO and HC know this is a rebuilding year, and while nice to have, Davis probably wouldn't have had much impact on the W-L record in 2013.

I get the sense that the FO knows it's a rebuilding year and is going to apply the unused cap space to the bottom line unless they can get guys at bargain-basement prices.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

We don't have a QB. While its the FOs fault we don't have one, it's not their fault we couldn't secure Davis. RG3 or tjack? No brainer

You're fooling yourself. If the Bills had offered enough, he would have played under mickey mouse at quarterback

Edited by first_and_ten

Davis is staying home even though the Bills' offer was reportedly "a little better," and for two years. Recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon, Davis has wisely saddled up for a one-year deal, which gives him the opportunity to prove he's healthy and cash in with a bigger contract next offseason. Davis' role in the Redskins' Robert Griffin III-driven offense was never quite clear before he went down last season, but he still has TE1 upside. If healthy, he could enter 2013 as the Redskins' No. 2 option in the passing game. Davis is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4716/fred-davis

Another failure by this front office. Can't lure free agents with no QB and no real plan. I'll give them credit for at least trying, but unless they over pay, I don't see them landing any significant free agents. Nix has been an absolute failure throughout his Bills tenure and it starts with the Gailey hire. We are a laughingstock again and it is getting very old. Add Regier as a total failure also. What has he done to improve this team.as we sit near the bottom of the standings with an owner that will freely spend for a winner. Why is Regier and Nix still employed?

Can I answer this question and have you respond to me?

Last 3 trades made by Regier:

Kassian for Hodgson

Gaustad for a 1st rounder

Roy for Ott

Davis is staying home even though the Bills' offer was reportedly "a little better," and for two years. Recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon, Davis has wisely saddled up for a one-year deal, which gives him the opportunity to prove he's healthy and cash in with a bigger contract next offseason. Davis' role in the Redskins' Robert Griffin III-driven offense was never quite clear before he went down last season, but he still has TE1 upside. If healthy, he could enter 2013 as the Redskins' No. 2 option in the passing game. Davis is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp.

http://www.rotoworld...4716/fred-davis

He won't be ready until mid-season. And even then, the odds are long that he'll be what he was.

He won't be ready until mid-season. And even then, the odds are long that he'll be what he was.

That may or may not be true, but what are you basing that on? The report, on the day of his surgery, was that the recovery time was six months, not one year like serious ruptures. Davis himself, and his agent, are betting a million dollars or so on the fact he is going to be fully healthy to play a whole season. He's reported to be ready for training camp, and not one of those cases where they're holding him back to get him ready for week one of the season.

Great. Now lets move on. Try to trade out of the 8th spot and draft Eifert. Fill in some holes in the draft. Wait until the 4th round for a QB, such as Bray, Scott, or Jones and go all in for a franchise signal caller next year. This strategy increases your chances at landing your quarterback of the future.

That may or may not be true, but what are you basing that on? The report, on the day of his surgery, was that the recovery time was six months, not one year like serious ruptures. Davis himself, and his agent, are betting a million dollars or so on the fact he is going to be fully healthy to play a whole season. He's reported to be ready for training camp, and not one of those cases where they're holding him back to get him ready for week one of the season.

I'm basing it on typical recovery times from Achilles surgery and the chances of successful return from Achilles surgery. Anyone can claim anything they like, especially when money is involved.

I'm basing it on typical recovery times from Achilles surgery and the chances of successful return from Achilles surgery. Anyone can claim anything they like, especially when money is involved.

True. I'll have to look for the link, but I based it on a Washington Post report the day of the surgery, performed by the same doctor that did Suggs injury, which said the recovery time was six months from that particular surgery, and that Suggs came back in five.

True. I'll have to look for the link, but I based it on a Washington Post report the day of the surgery, performed by the same doctor that did Suggs injury, which said the recovery time was six months from that particular surgery, and that Suggs came back in five.

Suggs had a partial tear, which is a whole different animal. AFAIK, Davis' was a full tear.

I'm surprised it's just a 1 year deal. I guess Davis is really optimistic about his recovery process and thinks he'll have a nice year this year. If I'm a team, and my doctors say he'll play this year but not really be himself, I want that 1-year deal because I might get him really cheap next year, and I have no risk in case he's never himself again.

As for us not getting him, I'm kinda disappointed, but not really about Davis specifically. He's a good player when healthy, but also a major knucklehead, and there's no guarantee he's able to play this year. Having 2 decent TEs who are injured isn't the same as having 1 who is healthy. I'm more disappointed that the Bills continue to not do anything to improve the 2013 team. Was the plan really to sign Manny Lawson, then sit back and pop the bubbly?

tell me more about the actual surgery or injury he had.

Suggs had a partial tear, which is a whole different animal. AFAIK, Davis' was a full tear.

ah, fair enough. based on the report it sounded partial, but im not 100%. thats why i think its a bit foolish for us to project, when the range is so wide, and our info so slim... but ill do it anyway. as kelly points out, if he were worried about next season, he wouldve wanted a two year deal with us. it would have been a major advantage to him to have a healthy year going into free agency. he thinks THIS year is that healthy year though. he has more info than any of us, so.... i think thats the best we can go with until someone finds otherwise.

Edited by NoSaint

Another failure by this front office. Can't lure free agents with no QB and no real plan. I'll give them credit for at least trying, but unless they over pay, I don't see them landing any significant free agents. Nix has been an absolute failure throughout his Bills tenure and it starts with the Gailey hire. We are a laughingstock again and it is getting very old. Add Regier as a total failure also. What has he done to improve this team.as we sit near the bottom of the standings with an owner that will freely spend for a winner. Why is Regier and Nix still employed?

I disagree I think this is a win because we didn't overpay for him. We made him an offer he chose the skins end of story. I like that the Bills took a shot at filling a need with a mid level free agent. I bet you they are not done. After the draft you'll see alot of value signings that fill some depth and maybe steal a starter or two. we'll know a lot more about their direction after the draft.

We can't overpay this year, not sure why anyone is surprised when a player chooses another team over us for relatively the same money.

Until we stop being the worst team in the NFL, no player will come here unless we offer them significantly more money than other teams.