Pats* sign Brady to 3 year extension thru 2017

FluffHead

From the article:

Amazingly, according to the source, the deal is for an eye-poppingly conservative $27 million, which is less than half his worth by any measure.

Which means one of two things:

1. Must be nice not being the chief bread-winner when you're one of the top 3 QB's of the past decade. (most likely why he's willing to accept less)
  2. He knows he'll be exposed as a fraud/cheater/product of the system if/when he goes and fails elsewhere. (what I'm going with)

From the article:

Amazingly, according to the source, the deal is for an eye-poppingly conservative $27 million, which is less than half his worth by any measure.

1. Must be nice not being the chief bread-winner when you're one of the top 3 QB's of the past decade. (most likely why he's willing to accept less)

2. He knows he'll be exposed as a fraud/cheater/product of the system if/when he goes and fails elsewhere. (what I'm going with)

#2 all the way

Inexplicably low $ for the often-perceived "best of all-time".

Read Spygate....whole chapter on Brady's low $

From the article:

Most likely, though, not either of 1 or 2.

Probably (as stated in the article) wants to keep his team competitive and makes mad cash with endorsements.

What agent would let someone with his profile (once in a blue moon client) go for less money to be a team player and rely on endorsements???? He has not made elite QB money at all in his career.....that is not because he's a team guy, it's because he's a system guy. Once they proved the system with Cassell, Brady had no leg to stand on if he were to ever try and hold the Pats up for more $$$.

From the article:

3. He is being paid an additional $10mil a year from an "unrelated" company in the guise of a sponsorship deal. (The Patriots would never cheat like that though.....would they?)

3. He is being paid an additional $10mil a year from an "unrelated" company in the guise of a sponsorship deal. (The Patriots would never cheat like that though.....would they?)

Not that I think this is the case.....but....does anybody know what sort of measures the League has in place to detect and enforce against this sort of salary cap cheating?

The Australian Football League has very strong measures in place to detect this sort of thing.....as 10-15(?) years ago it was quite rampant in the League.

Teams are still regularly getting caught cheating on the cap.....even with the constant scrutiny.

I just find it amazing after watching Brady pound the Bills for years some posters still cling to the fantasy he's a fraud.

So he took less then he could have gotten elsewhere. I don't suppose that he has made a ton of money already, his wife makes something like 100 mill a year and he just wishes to stay in NE could POSSABLY be the reason?

Not that I think this is the case.....but....does anybody know what sort of measures the League has in place to detect and enforce against this sort of salary cap cheating?

The Australian Football League has very strong measures in place to detect this sort of thing.....as 10-15(?) years ago it was quite rampant in the League.

Teams are still regularly getting caught cheating on the cap.....even with the constant scrutiny.

I can't imagine the NFLPA is too happy about this. The deal does nothing but devalue the franchise tag for QBs.

I just find it amazing after watching Brady pound the Bills for years some posters still cling to the fantasy he's a fraud.

So he took less then he could have gotten elsewhere. I don't suppose that he has made a ton of money already, his wife makes something like 100 mill a year and he just wishes to stay in NE could POSSABLY be the reason?

Again, what NFL agent would say to his client: "Since Giselle is a big earner, we're gonna come in a little low for the Pats for what is guaranteed to be your farewell contract....sound good to you?"

Was he threatened to not be a Patriot?

His entire career, and pre-Giselle, he has been paid in the upper-middle tier....that's just a little too weird for an elite QB.

Brady signed a 5-year $60M fully guaranteed extension. If he were to play all 5 years, which isn't going to happen, it would be a below market deal. But even if he plays 4 more years, which is a stretch, that's $15M/year on top of the (guaranteed and base salary) money he made off his last deal, on which he still had 2 years remaining. If he plays 3 more years, which is most likely the max for him, that's $20M/year. What it does is give them ~$7.5M/year in cap room over the next 2 years, which as I said was the time left on his last contract.

Edited by Doc

I'm sorry but he's going to get paid more than that....he did the same thing back in like 2005 and everyone was riding his coat tails saying that he was the best thing since sliced bread. He ended up getting a heck of a lot more money than what was originally reported. He's just restructuring his contract to free up salary cap space he's not giving up a dime.

I imagine they have let their displeasure be known. Flacco must be thrilled!

The change isn't huge by any means

Brady signed a 5-year $60M fully guaranteed extension. If he were to play all 5 years, which isn't going to happen, it would be a below market deal. But even if he plays 4 more years, which is a stretch, that's $15M/year on top of the (guaranteed and base salary) money he made off his last deal, on which he still had 2 years remaining. If he plays 3 more years, which is most likely the max for him, that's $20M/year. What it does is give them ~$7.5M/year in cap room over the next 2 years, which as I said was the time left on his last contract.

Good info - no way he sees 2017 and 40 years old

From the article:

3. He absolutely doesn't need the money and would rather cut his employer the discount so that they can continue to provide talented teammates for him so that he can continue to play for another Super Bowl title.

Brady's net worth: http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth/athletes/nfl/tom-brady-net-worth/

Giselle's net worth: http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth/celeb/model/gisele-bundchen-net-worth/

Manning is a better QB, but still, I am surprised by the low numbers. Plenty of time for renegotiations over the years though.

At this stage in their careers, Brady is far better. Manning has lost a lot on his arm after these surgeries and being a year older than Brady probably doesn't help.

What agent would let someone with his profile (once in a blue moon client) go for less money to be a team player and rely on endorsements???? He has not made elite QB money at all in his career.....that is not because he's a team guy, it's because he's a system guy. Once they proved the system with Cassell, Brady had no leg to stand on if he were to ever try and hold the Pats up for more $$$.

If it's that easy to be a "system guy" then why doesn't every team in the league adopt this unbeatable system and voila they'll have an elite QB!

The kind who has a client that tells him to STFU because Brady and his wife know what they are doing. Brady wants to win more Super Bowls and he wants to do that in NE. Think about it: if he wins another SB or two, he cements his 'greatest ever' legacy and that equal massive post-retirement endorsement earnings.

People wondering how he can afford to take so "little"?

He is already rich as !@#$. He is still making 9 mil per year, and his wife makes 45 mil a year.

This "cut" in pay gives the Pats* something like 15 mil in cap space. He doesn't need more money, but while he is still playing he wants to be on a winning team.

Pretty easy to understand.

I am not one who is on the "he is a system QB." I mean a system QB does not put up 4,000 yards passing every year. He is going to go down as one of the best of alltime, especially if he gets another ring.

With that being said, something is very fishy about this contract. It is not that he took less then market value, this extension is not even in the same ball park as what he should be paid. Something stinks & my guess is he is compensated by Kraft under the table so to speak to make up the difference. Whether it is a promise for a % of ownership after he retires or other kickbacks. That I don't know.

Once a cheater, always a cheater!

Still, teams and agents are looking at the numbers and wonder what else could be going on. Whispers of a side deals already have begun in league circles, even though there is (and likely will be) no proof of a wink-nod arrangement that will see Brady get compensated in other ways...In Brady’s case, the facts as presently known raise natural red flags. At a time when the high-water mater for quarterbacks is $20 million, the notion that Brady would commit to playing for less than half that average over a three-year window starting three seasons from now makes no sense.

PTR

I think Matt Cassell pretty much proved it was the system to a fair degree... but that doesn't mean Brady isn't a lot better at that system than most would be. I hate him, but no question he is very good. But of whether he is genuinely better than Aaron Rodgers or Peyton (in his prime), I have my doubts.

As to his contract, he made his bones winning Super Bowls, and if he wins another he'll make all that money back in endorsements. It's a bit of a gamble, but not much of one since as many pointed out... his wife makes his money almost irrelevant.

Didn't Marino and the Dolphins get nabbed for that? Dan M was getting comp from other channels, like stock options or something