Chiefs downplay talent in this draft - last year's "once in a

From ProFootballTalk.com:

http://profootballta...all-draft-pick/

Chiefs are saying the talent in this draft is significantly inferior to last year's draft....

“That’s one of those drafts that come along every two decades, maybe every three decades, when you have that many impact players,” Dorsey said.

At a time when they want to drum up enthusiasm, they feel that the draft is weak enough that they need to temper fans' expectations.

Just an interesting article.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I think the chiefs are taking the right approach. As much as they would love to draft a frachise QB, if there is not one there they might as well draft a different position. Bills fans might have to live with Fitzpatrick for another year, and I'm fine with that. When there is a franchise QB available however, the bills need to make a redskins like move to get him.

At the QB position I think that's practically a given. From most mocks, etc. out there, it looks like the talent is defense-heavy anyway.

Luck was a once in a generation prospect - better prospect out of college than any QB since Elway - yes that includes P. Manning, who had a few small question marks. Luck had none.

RG3 was a damned good prospect.

1983 was 30 years ago, so yeah, at QB for sure you don't get drafts like this, pretty much ever. Have we mentioned how horrendous it is Nix didn't get Wilson or Cousins?? :wallbash:

I still think we can take a QB high if there's one we think can play but don't think is a "franchise" guy...you don't have to pay them as much now...and as an organization you just adopt the San Fran attitude that basically says QBs are like anything else and the guy can lose his job...

At the QB position I think that's practically a given. From most mocks, etc. out there, it looks like the talent is defense-heavy anyway.

Luck was a once in a generation prospect - better prospect out of college than any QB since Elway - yes that includes P. Manning, who had a few small question marks. Luck had none.

1983 was 30 years ago, so yeah, at QB for sure you don't get drafts like this, pretty much ever. Have we mentioned how horrendous it is Nix didn't get Wilson or Cousins?? :wallbash:

I can't say for sure that Kirk Cousins might not become a good starting QB, but there is too much hype for him (IMHO).

He has 4TDs, 3INTs, 1 Fumble, and been sacked 3 times (once every 16 pass attempts). Yes, he showed a bit of potential, but I think way too early to be banging our heads because we didn't get him.

I think the chiefs are taking the right approach. As much as they would love to draft a frachise QB, if there is not one there they might as well draft a different position. Bills fans might have to live with Fitzpatrick for another year, and I'm fine with that. When there is a franchise QB available however, the bills need to make a redskins like move to get him.

The Bills will draft a QB this year. Question is not if but when. I hate to think so but they are likely to reach.

That's the smart move. If you're at #1 you are both negotiating with potential picks and looking at the value of trading down. Spreading the notion that they're not that excited by or sold on any one player tells other teams they are open for business. It also tells players that they might want to draw down a bit in their negotiation demands, in hopes of being #1 overall and still likely getting the most money in the draft.

Completely disagree. Another year of Fitz will produce exactly the same results as the past two years. He is not capable of getting it done. He had his shot and he failed. I'm sure that there will be at least one QB in this draft that can start right away. More than likely there is more than one. Sign a veteran FA and draft the best QB available. Cut both Fitz and Thigpen. Time to move on.

That's the smart move. If you're at #1 you are both negotiating with potential picks and looking at the value of trading down. Spreading the notion that they're not that excited by or sold on any one player tells other teams they are open for business. It also tells players that they might want to draw down a bit in their negotiation demands, in hopes of being #1 overall and still likely getting the most money in the draft.

Doesn't that also lower the 'price' on trading up? I would think saying 'we are not trading out of this spot unless someone wants to pull a Ditka/Ricky Williams type of trade' would at least start the offers at the Herschel Walker level.

kj

Doesn't that also lower the 'price' on trading up? I would think saying 'we are not trading out of this spot unless someone wants to pull a Ditka/Ricky Williams type of trade' would at least start the offers at the Herschel Walker level.

kj

While I think you have a point, it's early enough to serve notice that the pick is available to see if anybody starts biting, then start playing offers against one another. They can then make threats to just use the pick on a guy they eventually like.

kj

Ya there's nothing good about publicly saying everybody sucks if you hold a top pick you want to get rid of.

Completely disagree. Another year of Fitz will produce exactly the same results as the past two years. He is not capable of getting it done. He had his shot and he failed. I'm sure that there will be at least one QB in this draft that can start right away. More than likely there is more than one. Sign a veteran FA and draft the best QB available. Cut both Fitz and Thigpen. Time to move on.

There may be one quarterback who will start. The question is which one considering ten or so will be drafted.

Andy Reid is a magician with the QB position...

I wonder if they select Luke Joeckel OT for their first...and settle the QB spot in later rounds

How many QBs has Andy turned into SB Champions - ZERO.

McNabb was drafted in the top of the 1st round

Andy Reid has had the same dubious record as Nix does with QBs.

He's gotten a lot of mileage out of his time in Green Bay, although he only served as QB coach in 1997-98. Well after Brett Favre was established. Reid has proven successful at upgrading mediocre QB talent into average. Which as you say, is also a description that fits Gailey.

Edited by Punch

Chiefs are saying the talent in this draft is significantly inferior to last year's draft....

“That’s one of those drafts that come along every two decades, maybe every three decades, when you have that many impact players,” Dorsey said.

At a time when they want to drum up enthusiasm, they feel that the draft is weak enough that they need to temper fans' expectations.

As long as they draft Geno I'm good.

They will have their pick of three QB's that may have been projected first rounders in the past in the second round but I would still pass. The QB's are weak. I would be fine with LB, WR, LB, a trade for Matt Flynn with our fourth, TE, Center, DB, Kicker. The Seahawks have to get rid of Flynn. They can't have the back-up making millions more than the starter. He can be had for a mid-round pick as the team trding for him wil have to assume his contract.

If they can get Alex Smith then fine, but I do not feel there will be a better free agent QB than Fitzpatrick available. I also believe that there is a strong possibility that the bills will be unable to find a QB in the draft who can win games immediately. So what is Marone going to do, win 4 games and hope that the fans and management find it acceptable. As a first time head coach, Marone needs to succeed fairly soon. He might never get another chance.

Are you serious? Did he not get a first round QB and high pick for Kolb? Didn't he get a high pick for Feely? Why did they get high picks for these guys? They got high picks because they played great for coach Reed.

Nassib at #8 all the way. We need to draft a qb in the first. It doesn't matter if he can play or not. We need to do it to make a statement and draw some attention. Everyone will be watching the Bills like they have the Colts and Redskins. It will be exciting to have all the nfl watching our rookie run.

I can't say for sure that Kirk Cousins might not become a good starting QB, but there is too much hype for him (IMHO).

He has 4TDs, 3INTs, 1 Fumble, and been sacked 3 times (once every 16 pass attempts). Yes, he showed a bit of potential, but I think way too early to be banging our heads because we didn't get him.

People are banging their heads because we didn't get him because at the time our best QB option couldn't even hit a WR in stride after 20 yards. I mean, we're so tired of the limitations Fitz had - he was good within 20 yards - that any QB who has a nice deep ball looks like a dream to us. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but to run a proficient NFL offense, the defenses have to respect the deeper parts of the field. Fitz took that away from us - not our opponents defenses - and that is one of two reasons the Bills crashed and burned last year.

I agree - Cousins might not turn out to be much better than average. But, until we have an above average QB, the grass just looks so much greener...

I am intruiged by Geno Smith - but I'm nervous about him, too. I'm actually warming up quite a bit to Barkley - because the more I watch him play, the more I see intelligent decision making, excellent passing (he hits his guys IN STRIDE), AND, he actually can throw the ball ACCURATELY beyond 40 yards - which, when you add it up, means he can do everything an NFL QB should be able to do. If we can get Barkley at 8, I think it would be fantastic.

If he is not available, I'd rather take a 2nd round flyer on a guy like Dysert or Bray, or Jones. I'd say Nassib - but I think he goes before our 2nd pick, and I just think he's not quite good enough to merit our 1st pick. I've watched a lot of his 2012 games, and he quite often throws behind his WR'ers. That is the only thing about Nassib that scares me.

I would not say KC is in a bad spot. They will have to take the best player available because no QB in the draft is worth the number 1 overall. Finding a team to trade with to move down may prove to be difficult. They should select Star Lotulelei DT Utah and match him up with Dontari Poe and fortify the defensive core of the defense. They have a good running game and the pieces to make a very solid defense.

Fitz for another year? Please.

Have we mentioned how horrendous it is that we drafted Marcell Dareus instead of aj green, Patrick Peterson, Julio jones, Aldon smith AND JJ Watt. Or troup exactly one pick ahead of Gronk? Still don't understand how nix still has a job.

I mention it every chance I get... Nix screwed the pooch last draft and he knows it. Then to compound that egregious error, him and Gailey drove a dump-truck of money to Fitzo's house knowing full well he wasn't worth that kind of money.

For his next disastrous trick, Buddy will over-draft a rookie QB, when clearly the correct path is to obtain a skilled veteran in FA. What a freakin' nightmare... Even the most uniformed pundit knows that the gold in this draft is at S, SS, and LB... Feels like we're about to blow another rare opportunity.

Edited by #34fan

It's a good way to tell their fans to to expect too much this year.

Nassib at #8 all the way. We need to draft a qb in the first. It doesn't matter if he can play or not. We need to do it to make a statement and draw some attention. Everyone will be watching the Bills like they have the Colts and Redskins. It will be exciting to have all the nfl watching our rookie run.

:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

"It doesn't matter if he can play or not". -Where on earth do people like this come from?!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

"It doesn't matter if he can play or not". -Where on earth do people like this come from?!!!

A lot of folks are predicting we take Nassib because he knows the system. They neglect the fact that Marrone and Hackett may develop something different based on our roster.

A lot of folks are predicting we take Nassib because he knows the system. They neglect the fact that Marrone and Hackett may develop something different based on our roster.

This is what they are promising.

If we draft someone besides Nassib, he will have mini camps and training camp and pre season to learn the system. I don't see this as a problem. I'll even go so far as to predict that Fitz will be the first one to learn the new offense.

As we type right now, Fitz is throwing footballs through a tire in his back yard. When he needs a break, he is breaking down Syracuse game film and old Saints (Marrone era) game film to get an early start on learning the new system.

This is football, not rocket science.

Edited by reddogblitz

Have we mentioned how horrendous it is that we drafted Marcell Dareus instead of aj green, Patrick Peterson, Julio jones, Aldon smith AND JJ Watt. Or troup exactly one pick ahead of Gronk? Still don't understand how nix still has a job.

Drafting Dareus was not horrendous. Google nfl mock draft 2011 and you'll see that most mock drafts had him going at 2 to Denver and Miller going to us at 3. There was even a time when Dareus was slated to go 1. In hindsight, I agree with you 100% that it would be great to have one of the players you mentioned instead of Dareus but drafting one of them at 3 wasn't even a consideration at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20--198 guys were drafted before Tom Brady so all of those picks were horrendous? In regard to Dareus, with some real coaching and a new scheme he could still turn out to be a beast. Give the kid a chance (and a break--going through what he did). As for Troup, THAT was indeed horrendous!!!.

Drafting Dareus was not horrendous. Google nfl mock draft 2011 and you'll see that most mock drafts had him going at 2 to Denver and Miller going to us at 3. There was even a time when Dareus was slated to go 1. In hindsight, I agree with you 100% that it would be great to have one of the players you mentioned instead of Dareus but drafting one of them at 3 wasn't even a consideration at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20--198 guys were drafted before Tom Brady so all of those picks were horrendous? In regard to Dareus, with some real coaching and a new scheme he could still turn out to be a beast. Give the kid a chance (and a break--going through what he did). As for Troup, THAT was indeed horrendous!!!.

Correct. Any team with that pick would not have been faulted for drafting Dareus.

Also, if you want to judge him based on his production in Wannstedt's "Caution, may exhibit traits resembling Defense" (to paraphrase TMQ), in a season where his brother was gunned down, that's nuts. If none of your good players look good, that suggests a problem with the system, not that every one of those good players suddenly suck. The fact that a guy like Pettine jumped right in suggests he knows there is something to work with here, and the DL is a big part of that.

In his three drafts as Bills GM Nix took only one QB. (7th rd - his 1st year) He failed to go after Kaepernick, Wilson, Dalton, Ponder or Cousins... You'll never succeed if you don't try...

You may be satisfied with making a statement, even if it is a just a Pyrrhic victory. But I want to have a team that actually has a chance to make the playoffs for the first time in a long, long time. I am not willing to just "settle" any longer.

It's a given that Dareus has not turned out to be all that we hoped for, but I don't think very many thought it was a bad pick at the time. There have been a lot worse really bad picks to choose from, and Dareus is not one of them.