Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Who makes a better guy to root for...the AZ Card coach? The guy who couldn't win in Chicago with all that talent? Wiz and Lovie are proven zeroes. I will take Marrone. That program sucked when he arrived and despite a lack of talent at Cuse, he won. Look at Nassib video...he was a record setting QB with limited weapons.

It's definitely a dice roll but here's a guy who wants to be Bills coach and has been in WNY for a few years. Blls fans can be skeptical, but I'm a bit shocked to not find us rooting for a guy like this. It would be a great story...guy rebuilds awful WNY football college team, then goes on to Bills etc.

If you're bummed they didn't land Cowher or Gruden or Kelly, get over it. They were never coming. This came down to a bunch of also-ran retreads vs a guy with new blood.

Very good points.

A good omen: He is from the Bronx, as was the best football man in the history of the Bills Org.

A bad omen: He just got glowing reviews from Herm Edwards. :bag:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a guy who has just rebuilt a college program in just about no time. I like that. I like Ryan nassib, too, by the way. I REALLY like that the Bills left the beaten track of NFL-retreads looking for a new HC.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Not sure about the Nassib part, but Marrone has shown he can (a) change a culture; (b) turn a loser into a winner; and © was NOT just FIRED by another team! Also has ties to the area and the NFL as a player and assistant coach.

Something to be excited about, Bills fans.

I like him. They should have him address the crowd at First Niagara at the 1st Sabres game now that the lockout is ended. I'm glad the Bills took a shot at a young up and comer rather than a retread. Plus, the Syracuse connection doesn't hurt - selling out that stadium each week is still crucial to solidify the long-term status of the team in Buffalo.

I really enjoyed watching Syracuse play this year - it's an exciting offense and a hard-hitting aggressive defense - sign me up for a bit of that in Buffalo.

Go Bills!

Very good points.

A good omen: He is from the Bronx, as was the best football man in the history of the Bills Org.

A bad omen: He just got glowing reviews from Herm Edwards. :bag:

I love the Bronx thing too. That will play well in Buffalo.

Only time will tell if this is a good hire but given the choices of him, Lovie, or Whiz, this is the one with the biggest upside to change the culture.

I love the Bronx thing too. That will play well in Buffalo.

Only time will tell if this is a good hire but given the choices of him, Lovie, or Whiz, this is the one with the biggest upside to change the culture.

How do the connections with Brandon sit with you? Obviously, he is a businessman, NOT a football man. I must cop to having an uneasy feeling about this.

I'm neither happy nor upset about this move. While we are always complaining about how we don't want retread hires, I have to admit this is a step into a new direction.

On the bright side, clearly this guy was hired to be a coach and nothing more. He is a, "in your face emotional coach" and will call you out of need be. Totally opposite from Gaily.

Now, what will really matter are the OC and DC, Special Teams personel. What will really make a difference is the caliber type QB drafted and what they plan on doing with Fitz. Do you agree?

Don't be surprised if Nassib is our new QB. For what ever its worth, Nassib has really, really impressive numbers and is a PA native. Very interesting.

Edited by JTO

Cuse ranked 22nd last year with 555 carries. I like what this says for Spiller. Get him 300+ carries and 50+ catches.

I'd get rid of Choice and get a RB with 4th or 5th round pick. Give them 400+ carries.

"But it's Fred's turn to play" -Chan

I think it may be a very strange off season. Some very unpopular moves coming, not to mention strange.

Maybe this is why Whaley was so positive about his ex-steeler friends, so he can separate himself from this move from the fan base .

Maybe the whole thing gets changed when new ownership takes over and this will be easy for them to do given what they have to change - new owner will look like a hero.

Maybe they do know what they are doing at OBD.... .

How do the connections with Brandon sit with you? Obviously, he is a businessman, NOT a football man. I must cop to having an uneasy feeling about this.

Bill, Russ is an ADMINISTRATOR. People have to stop worrying he's going to be making football (i.e., personnel) decisions. He's an incredibly smart guy who is going to set the Bills up for success with the people he hires. Fans should be happy about this, not uneasy.

Agreed but if he lets people do their job, I'm OK. I assume others like Whaley were in on this decision. The way I look at it, this team needs both a football guy AND severely new fresh blood to change culture. Marrone has the fresh blood, strong WNY ties, and has some record of turnaround with minimal talent at Cuse. That's a big plus.

I don't think you need a football guy as president. If Brandon is a business man and good marketer, he knows what the business needs to do to succeed: Win.

Bill, Russ is an ADMINISTRATOR. People have to stop worrying he's going to be making football (i.e., personnel) decisions. He's an incredibly smart guy who is going to set the Bills up for success with the people he hires. Fans should be happy about this, not uneasy.

OK, but did you see my link early in this thread? There would seem to be a strong Brandon/Marrone connection.

I like Marrone as a hire

forget where but apparently he’s one of those uber organized coaches ala Chip Kelly. And you know Im glad the Bills took a HC from a different pipeline, no more of he chicago retreads, or pittsburgh coordinators. Lets get him a good staff, and get rolling into 2013. Plus anyone who could dig out of the hole Robinson left at Syracuse is doing something right. If only from an organizational perspective.

Well, at least he got the NHL going again on his first day in the job.

The announcement of Marrone came at a strange time. Were they trying to beat the NHL announcement headlines or did they want this unpopular decision to get mixed in there with the good news from the NHL?

Hard not to think of negatives:

Cheapest option

No Pro coching contacts to build staff

Remember last coach to excite management that was a surprise pick... Greggo

I think the fan base will, at leat initially, be disappointed

I hope I am wrong, just strikes me as same old Bills... looking for a new coach in 3 more years.

How do you know he doesnt hv any pro coaching contacts? Seriously where do ppl come up with stuff like this

I see this as further confirmation nix is on his way out. Marrone is not his kind of guy ... Relatively young, not southern, not from SEC, no chargers connection, no history with nix. Just don't see the two of them fitting.

Ummm....I seem to have read in his bio he coached at Georgia Tech....the curse of Chan returns.

I like this pick...excited about Draft and staff he assembles.

With Marrone we have no OC or DC. Is this for serious? He wasn't a play calling OC for the Saints. I never even thought this was a possibility. I'm shocked

Like that's a bad thing that he won't be calling the plays

The guy was just hired 4 hours ago and you're complaining that he doesn't hv an OC or DC...unbelievable

The announcement of Marrone came at a strange time. Were they trying to beat the NHL announcement headlines or did they want this unpopular decision to get mixed in there with the good news from the NHL?

Or it was announced when the deal got done. What the hell are you trying to say?

For the record I like this move. He is a young up and coming coach and not another retread

If anything it's a different direction then we've been through before and he has NFL experience on Payton's staff which has been a good offense in the NFL

more of my early morning dis-jointed thoughts...

being an SU fan and speaking on behalf of SU fans...Marrone was a GREAT hire for Syracuse 4 years ago...coming off the Robinson era, here comes a former SU player coming back home to re-build the team. He had the overwhelming support of the entire SU fan base(perhaps a bit of a stretch), but being that he was a home-grown guy he was also given a lot of wiggle room. I would equate this to the Bills if we had hired Frank Reich as our Head Coach(or Marv Levy as GM)...a real feel good situation, for the bills only, and would probably get the same support and lee-way as marrone got in Syracuse. I love Marrone as a coach and what he did for SU and wish he stayed at SU. But being a Bills fan, he will have my utmost support in leading this team.

GO BILLS! GO COACH MARRONE! and GO SU!!!

Jumping a little ahead of yourself there. There has been no "announcement" -- none I've seen. These things leak once they get done.

Gotta love the conspiracy theorists...smh

Like that's a bad thing that he won't be calling the plays

The guy was just hired 4 hours ago and you're complaining that he doesn't hv an OC or DC...unbelievable

Use your brain. I'm complaining that he has no credibility. They wouldn't even trust him to call plays as OC in New Orleans. Meanwhile someone like Lovie is a defensive genius and it would be easy to find a good OC to pair with him. Marrone is a nobody

Damn, it's entirely too early to start drinking. :wallbash:

Seriously? This isn't just because I wanted Lovie. I'm not a big fan of the idea of recruiting a college head coach but if we were going to do it, we could have tried getting someone with a slightly more productive program.

Please, someone give me hope for how we're going to get a fix for our QB spot, creatively use our run game and bolster a talented yet underperforming defense.

OK, but did you see my link early in this thread? There would seem to be a strong Brandon/Marrone connection.

I did not, but why is that a bad thing? Russ is highly regarded by most people other than actual Bills fans.

Convincing teenagers to come to Syracuse is one thing. Running an NFL team is another. Of which he has no experience. And you guys are excited? I'm shocked. This guy isn't an offensive OR defensive genius. Unless they have a top notch OC and DC to announce as coming too then we are screwed

There was a piece about a year ago that talked about how the most important part of being a head coach was not the X's and O's part of it, but the management part of it. Delegating responsiblity to others, holding them accountable and taking care of daily management aspects of the team. It would seem Marrone excels at this type of stuff, so I am excited about that. It talked about this was the main reason many very good OC's and DC's are not good head coaches...

Edited by matter2003

"Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon, an East Syracuse native, serves on the Syracuse University Sports Management Advisory Board, and has a measure of familiarity with Marrone."

http://www.buffalobi...c3-7d95b2e98331

So, was this a marketing move, or one of cronyism?

I don't know, but as a Bills Fan I will rally behind him and hope that he is up to the task.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both

I had thought that Marrone could be a serious dark horse candidate for Bills job. I hope he puts together a quality staff. WGR 55 reports that he and Fitz have the same agent. I hate that aspect of this hire . I simply do not want Fitz to return as QB. We cannnot win with hima at QB and he will not want to be a backup. This could contaminate what appears to be a forward thinking hire.