Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Well Russ was true to his word. This is definitely DIFFERENT. I don't think the old regime would ever be dumb enough to go after a college coach with a mediocre record in a bad conference. Oh wait, isn't that how we got CHAN?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Marrone runs a no-huddle, up-tempo offensive scheme, he 49 from the Bronx's

He was a really popular choice, he was Interviewed by Eagles, Browns, Chargers & Bills The Eagles & Browns reportedly had extremely positive Interviews maybe thats why the Bills signed him so quick

Edited by Shitzy Hater

Because the only coach who would consider Buffalo an upgrade is one who today is in f ing Syracuse. He's cheap since he is coming from the college ranks and he's local, so the thought of coming to "old and cold" is just more of the same. Sounds like the Bills to me. They will not pay Lovie or Wiz 5 or 6 mil/per to be HC. no way. Good hire. Syracuse looked good against WV. He'll bring his college staff with him, heck the Bills are pretty much a college team anyway. and he will be fired exactly 34 months from now or sooner if ownership changes. and we will start over again. again. did I say, again? Isn't it great to be a bills fan?

I know nothing about the guy but I'm guessing if Smith or Whisenhunt were chosen you would have complained the Bills picked a loser retread coach.

I know nothing about the guy but I'm guessing if Smith or Whisenhunt were chosen you would have complained the Bills picked a loser retread coach.

No if we picked Lovie we would be picking a winner retread with a lot of credibility and a great defensive mind. With Marrone we get no credibility and no offensive or defensive pedigree. I'm shocked and disappointed

Hard not to think of negatives:

Cheapest option

No Pro coching contacts to build staff

Remember last coach to excite management that was a surprise pick... Greggo

I think the fan base will, at leat initially, be disappointed

I hope I am wrong, just strikes me as same old Bills... looking for a new coach in 3 more years.

I'm thinking Russ Brandon, even if in the back of his mind, thought that this hire would help sell tickets in Syracuse as part of his regionalization plan. I'm hoping that isn't true, but would be a pretty obvious thing to happen if the marketing side of his job played any influence. And that would suck if it did.

No if we picked Lovie we would be picking a winner retread with a lot of credibility and a great defensive mind. With Marrone we get no credibility and no offensive or defensive pedigree. I'm shocked and disappointed

all that matters now is who he hires as OC and DC hopefully someone with NFL experience but like the idea of a fresh college approach

Lovie, no, because we don't have the super talented players for the crappy tampa 2 defense he loves and never will . Wiz, yes, because when he had a QB he went to the SB. And he could bring a real NFL staff with him. Marrone will be making this up as he goes.. NFL teams are run by the OC, DC and all the assistants. Marrone has to make all this up from scratch.. Really risky hire. Marrone may be ok, but his staff coaches the team. We shall see. this hire is all bills fans could have reasonably hoped for. keep the seat warm for the day ownership changes and we start all over again.

Cheapest option

I hope I am wrong, just strikes me as same old Bills... looking for a new coach in 3 more years.

he was "OC" at New Orleans so he should have some NFL contacts. Maybe he will bring Sean Peyton in as OC :-)

I Happy with this, we got a young, offensive head coach with NFL experience, his record at Syracuse wasn't great but you can't recruit in a conference that's basically a train wreak, so his record is suspect

Lovie, no, because we don't have the super talented players for the crappy tampa 2 defense he loves and never will . Wiz, yes, because when he had a QB he went to the SB. And he could bring a real NFL staff with him. Marrone will be making this up as he goes.. NFL teams are run by the OC, DC and all the assistants. Marrone has to make all this up from scratch.. Really risky hire. Marrone may be ok, but his staff coaches the team. We shall see. this hire is all bills fans could have reasonably hoped for. keep the seat warm for the day ownership changes and we start all over again.

I would have preferred Smith but I'm just a fan. Like you said, let's see his staff

Edited by nucci

he was "OC" at New Orleans so he should have some NFL contacts. Maybe he will bring Sean Peyton in as OC :-)

He was a glorified offensive line coach with the Saints. Sean Peyton was the HC and OC and called all of the plays. Don't be fooled by the title

I has never really heard of him until the coaching search began. Is he a fiery type of leader, and how old is he? I hope he isn't like JAURON.

Also, how do you pronounce his name, is it like Maroney? I've never actually heard his name said out loud. LoL

Convincing teenagers to come to Syracuse is one thing. Running an NFL team is another. Of which he has no experience. And you guys are excited? I'm shocked. This guy isn't an offensive OR defensive genius. Unless they have a top notch OC and DC to announce as coming too then we are screwed

Seriously, is he being considered as an NFL coordinator (how is he magically an NFL caliber coach - unless this is the cheapest option) ??

He was the Jets Oline coach from 2001-2005 the went on to the Sainrs. You don't get 5 nfl interviews on accident.

He has more nfl connection than most here think. He will put together a good staff.

He wasn't my first choice but I kinda like it. He is a firey in your face guy, just what we need.

I don't think he's coming as some are calling the "cheapest" option. He was being interviewed by 5 or 6 teams.

Also the Cleveland's backup plan crap is stupid. Last night they were saying the Browns might flat out choose him over Kelly.

This guy is super prepared from what I have seen. I honestly believe we made a good choice.

Edited by cmjoyce113

Cheapest option

I don't think he was the Cheapest option, 4 teams had him on their list ahead of Lovie & Whisenhunt & Chip Kelly might have lowered his option to just Cleveland

What makes this harder to swallow is that Lovie wanted to coach us. He has a winning record in a tough division and has been to the Super Bowl despite a bad qb. But we would rather have an unproven coach with a .500 record in a terrible college football conference? I don't get it. Maybe the Bills are planning on moving to the big east conference. They might have a shot vs that low end competition. This is a sad day for bills fans

Well Russ was true to his word. This is definitely DIFFERENT. I don't think the old regime would ever be dumb enough to go after a college coach with a mediocre record in a bad conference. Oh wait, isn't that how we got CHAN?

Well I really doubt we couldnt have landed this guy even if ralph were still in charge. The idea was to clear ralph out to remove an obstacle to landing a big name coach. He's hardly one if the bigger names floating around. So far theres no "Russ effect"

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

He was a glorified offensive line coach with the Saints. Sean Peyton was the HC and OC and called all of the plays. Don't be fooled by the title

Yep. But who knows , couldn't get much worse at OBD, so why not try this guy? The average knucklehead Bills fan gets the Bronx-born sideline screamer they crave , OBD gets a team - friendly contract and a low end staff a new owner can easily blow away and replace when he takes over. Has Russ Brandon (Syracuse guy, BTW) written all over it. What's not to like? ;)

Edited by 8and8Forever

Well I really doubt we couldnt have landed this guy even if ralph were still in charge. The idea was to clear ralph out to remove an obstacle to landing a big name coach. He's hardly one if the bigger names floating. So far theres no "Russ effect"

Sure there is. Russ and Marrone know each other. This would seem to be a Russ hire. I doubt if Nix and Whaley had much say at all.

We'll be looking for a new coach in 2016. Same crap every damned time.

At which point we won't be able to get a good coach after 3 more losing seasons and the threat of the team moving at the end of the 7th year in our Ralph Wilson Stadium lease agreement. This was our one shot. We have good talent on both sides of the ball and things were looking promising. I'm shocked and saddened. What a bust

WOW! Exciting! Blown-away!

A mediocre coach from a mediocre team, from a crap of a conference.

They better get extra personnel in to handle the flood of new season ticket buyers in Orchard Park today!

And I'm sure there will be a line of top O & D coordinators falling all over themselves to get on this guys staff.

Convincing teenagers to come to Syracuse is one thing. Running an NFL team is another. Of which he has no experience. And you guys are excited? I'm shocked. This guy isn't an offensive OR defensive genius. Unless they have a top notch OC and DC to announce as coming too then we are screwed

I take it your upset. He knows offense. He probably won't call plays which I want. I want an offensive coordinator calling his own and the head coach managing the game.

This guy wasn't hired by saying look I don't have Nfl connections I am going to have a hard time assembling a staff: I would guess its mostly assembled and I think it will be good.

Sure there is. Russ and Marrone know each other. This would seem to be a Russ hire. I doubt if Nix and Whaley had much say at all.

I'm talking in the sense of a big name not coming here like a shanahan or harbaugh because they refuse to deal with a meddling ralph. I don't see a B player like marrone without as many options seeing that as a reason to have turned us down

Rumor is Chip Kelly wants total control of football operations & Cleveland is willing to give it to him, I think that's why the Bills & the Eagles could be next to pick another coach, Marrone was rumored to be the Eagles second choice.

its just rumor but strange the Bills sign him so early this morning so maybe there is some credibility to the rumor

He was the Jets Oline coach from 2001-2005 the went on to the Sainrs. You don't get 5 nfl interviews on accident.

He has more nfl connection than most here think. He will put together a good staff.

He wasn't my first choice but I kinda like it. He is a firey in your face guy, just what we need.

I don't think he's coming as some are calling the "cheapest" option. He was being interviewed by 5 or 6 teams.

Also the Cleveland's backup plan crap is stupid. Last night they were saying the Browns might flat out choose him over Kelly.

This guy is super prepared from what I have seen. I honestly believe we made a good choice.

I don't know the guy, so I appreciate this post putting this hiring into some perspective!! I can't imagine Brandon going with the Syracuse guy because he grew up there, the cheapest guy or any of the other lame justifications that others on the board quickly threw out there...