Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

. I REALLY like that the Bills left the beaten track of NFL-retreads looking for a new HC.

Couldn't agree more. This hire feels different than a lot of the others. BTW, how the the genius DC OC hires go last time? Maybe what we need is a good head coach, not a genius coordinator.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was wanted by several teams.

His interview with the Browns made them think he might be a better choice than Kelly, not just their "plan b."

Talks about his record a bit.

Edited by cmjoyce113

I'm seriously at my breaking point with this organization. It's too stressful to be a bills fan. I keep getting let down. Russ promised change but this is the kind of choice they made with Chan. I'm left with the feeling that we didn't go for the top guys once again and are left with the no-name coach. We are still a joke of an organization. #SameOldBills

I really wanted Smith bad. But keep your fingers crossed, I have yet to see offical confirmation of Marrone.

Its on NFL.com and appears to fit the Bills criteria: someone that does not demand much money and will not be allowed to have much control.

Brandon must think he can market this guy, but at best, he seems like a poor man's Chip Kelly.

I have a hard time understanding some people's borderline ignorance. Now, whether you especially like the hire of Doug Marrone or not, why is it inconceivable to so many that someone who hasn't been to a Superbowl could become a successful NFL head coach?! I don't get it.

He should have some success somewhere! He made a bad college team in a bad conference a mediocre college team in a bad conference. A .500 winning percentage is not all that exciting. Excuse me for not rolling out the red carpet

What makes this harder to swallow is that Lovie wanted to coach us. He has a winning record in a tough division and has been to the Super Bowl despite a bad qb. But we would rather have an unproven coach with a .500 record in a terrible college football conference? I don't get it. Maybe the Bills are planning on moving to the big east conference. They might have a shot vs that low end competition. This is a sad day for bills fans

this is exactly how i feel.

EXACTLY how i feel.

he went .500 in his college career, in a ho-hum conference, with a team that was a train wreck, and not necessarily easy to recruite marquee players to.

now, he's coming to an organization that is a train wreck, and not necessarily easy to recruit marquee players to.

my question: how is a coach that couldnt win in an easy conference in college with a bad team, going to win in the nfl, with a bad team?

https://twitter.com/...759291434295297

He was wanted by several teams.

https://twitter.com/...755100162764801

His interview with the Browns made them think he might be a better choice than Kelly, not just their "plan b."

I'm gonna laugh if the Browns don't get Kelly either and wind up hiring Whisenhunt.

He should have some success somewhere! He made a bad college team in a bad conference a mediocre college team in a bad conference. A .500 winning percentage is not all that exciting. Excuse me for not rolling out the red carpet

How many Coaches can you name off the top of your head that turned around a perennially terrible FBS football program inside of two years?

Chan Gailey was a 68-41 college coach and an 18-14 NFL coach before the Bills hired him. Bills just hired a 25-25 college coach. I just don't know what to think.

25-25 at a program that was 10-37 before him. They get NO recruits. What he has done has been pretty impressive.

This is extremely disappointing news. To go from the idea of hiring Kelly from one of the top teams in Division 1 to hiring a .500 coach from a regional team is not the news I wanted to hear this morning. I just hope this is not a refelection on the Bills ability to hire a quality head coach.

Edited by Fat Man from Tonawanda

How many Coaches can you name off the top of your head that turned around a perennially terrible FBS football program inside of two years?

Brian Kelly who actually took 2 programs from nothing to the national championship game! Who was Oregon before Chip Kelly? Lots of coaches do that and actually have success. A .500 record in a terrible conference is not a success in my book. If Syracuse was playing for the national championship tomorrow then we would be talking

while were at it, doesn't the process of "interviewing" head coaches seem like an outdated procedure, that only happens because of "group-think" with NFL teams: essentially, no club wants to be the first to not interview people, but to just hire a coach.

(with regards to the rooney rule, if youre not interviewing ANYONE, its not racist.)

what correlation can there possibly be between an interview, and being a head coach?

especially when youre actual RECORD of winning and losing football games is, um, public record?

wow - doug marrone just blew the bills away in an interview? that's odd. in my own personal interview (looking at college standings on espn.com) he failed to impress me. but really, im curious to see if the bills brain trust knows something more than me. specifically, what skill set he showed in his interview that is going to translate to winning games at the professional level, even though HE COULDNT WIN THEM AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL?

The Saints led the league in offense while he was their OC, now the key is finding the right DC who can get our guys to play to their potential! Go Bills!

Sean Peyton was the HC and OC. Marrone never called the plays. I don't give him any of the credit for those stats

Turnaround? 8-5 in the Big East? Bouncing from 7th to 4th to 7th to tied for 1st. I'd like to see some consistent winning from a marginal college program, let alone a marginal football conference.

A lot is now riding on the OC and DC chosen. Marrone needs to pick guys with proven NFL experience.

How about Whisenhunt for OC and Lovie Smith for DC? :w00t:

We'll be lucky to get Norv Turner and John Pagano - unless Buddy can talk Marty Schottenheimer into taking the gig.

A lot is now riding on the OC and DC chosen. Marrone needs to pick guys with proven NFL experience.

How about Whisenhunt for OC and Lovie Smith for DC? :w00t:

I was thinking the same thing, or Pat Shurmer for OC.

After reading this thread, most hate the move. I like it. I don't know much about Doug Marrone, which is good. I do know that he needs to assemble a great staff so that he can lead and delegate. He's not a retread, and he's not coming with a reputation as chip Kelly would have come with. For everyone who is hating, answer one philosophical question for me. Who has won before trying? This is the guys first shot as nfl head coach. He could be Gregg Williams 2001, vince Lombardi 1959 , or something in between. Not a soul knows yet. I'm more excited to see who the coordinators will be.

25-25 at a program that was 10-37 before him. They get NO recruits. What he has done has been pretty impressive.

The two coaches before Robinson had winning records. I'll wait to see who he gets for his coordinators, but Lovie Smith has a positive reputation with NFL players, and could have attracted some free agents here.