Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

I am intrigued by Kelly after reading the Grantland article. He seems like a guy who really knows his stuff and has a great mentality for a HC. The things that give me pause are the precious few precedents of successful college coaches who have never set foot on an NFL field, and the shared duties of HC / play-calling.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Jason LaCanfora reported that Chip's likely landing spot is Cleveland, Philly or staying at Oregon per his Twitter. Here's to hoping he's wrong!

Yeah? Yesterday ESPN reported with 95% certainty that Andy Reid was going to be the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. They're reporting today that Andy Reid is all but certainly the Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

I don't hold too much credence on a tweet by Jason LaConfora. If that were the case, why even take the interview?

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

More on Chip Kelly: Source said he has his eyes on some #NFL asst coaches who were let go this week, with belief he's eying an NFL HC job.

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

@BrownsTown22: He does have friends who work in NFL. Plus, his agent is well connected, reps over 100 players, some coaches.

I like Chip Kelly a lot, but I just don't feel comfortable giving him a HC job when he hasn't done anything in the NFL. I would be all for him being our OC though.

If I could dream, i'd have Mike McCoy HC, Kelly OC and Lovie DC but that isn't going to happen although i wouldn't mind Lovie for HC and Kelly fo OC under him.

Beware: I smell a "see.....we tried" situation.....

So that when they hire the ass end of the hot list, we can say......well they DID go after Chip Kelly

you might be wright, but they also tried interviewing every other coach available. I think they will make a serious run at who ever can get this team over the hump, all of their jobs are not guaranteed after Ralph passes.

Jim Harbaugh

Sadly, you are wrong.

On Chip kelly. Chances are extremely slim he would come to buffalo. Way earlier in this thread I gave some reasons why that is not going too happen. Personally IMO, Chip Kelly has the "potential" to be the best thing that ever happened to the Bills. If I'm Russ Brandon I would open with an offer of 10 million per year for 5 years. Nothing else will suffice. kelly will either coach theBrowns or the Ducks.

That said GO DUCKS!

Chip kellys offense is basically the same offense that kyle Shanahan runs with RG3. That being said kelly would be crazy not to go to philly with with vick, shady mccoy, desean jackson, The offense is set up for the style he plays. speed.

Sadly, you are wrong.

On Chip kelly. Chances are extremely slim he would come to buffalo. Way earlier in this thread I gave some reasons why that is not going too happen. Personally IMO, Chip Kelly has the "potential" to be the best thing that ever happened to the Bills. If I'm Russ Brandon I would open with an offer of 10 million per year for 5 years. Nothing else will suffice. kelly will either coach theBrowns or the Ducks.

That said GO DUCKS!

why the browns? What do they have that is better than the bills?

Chip kellys offense is basically the same offense that kyle Shanahan runs with RG3. That being said kelly would be crazy not to go to philly with with vick, shady mccoy, desean jackson, The offense is set up for the style he plays. speed.

Why would anyone want to coach for Philly and those awful fans? And vick is gone from Philly.

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

More on Chip Kelly: Source said he has his eyes on some #NFL asst coaches who were let go this week, with belief he's eying an NFL HC job.

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

@BrownsTown22: He does have friends who work in NFL. Plus, his agent is well connected, reps over 100 players, some coaches.

This is huge in terms of him transitioning to NFL.

For everyone saying that he won't come to Buffalo, he coaches at Oregon, not USC, not Notre Dame, not Alabama. The size of the market will not be a factor IMO. Showing him the willingness to win will be.

Anyone else getting cold feet now that there is a chance that this could actually happen? I don't think most of us would have thought this was even a possibility but now that it seems to be down to 3 teams (and we are honestly better than both of those teams) it looks like we have a realistic shot at landing Chip.

I'm all for innovation and trying something new, and I know he is the hottest coach out there these days with a lot of hype, but honestly this is would be taking a HUGE risk. It could either turn out great and we will change the game forever, or it could turn out really really horribly wrong. There's a much greater chance that it will be the latter.

The safe bet would be Lovie if we could pair him with a good OC. Whiz with Horton would be a safer bet as well. Or do we bet the HOUSE and put all of our Chip's on Kelly? (see what I did there?)

Chip Kelly is going to fail MISERABLY in the NFL. Guaranteed.

I kind of have that same feeling. He recruits specific players that fit his offense, which I think is successful mainly because it is gimicky(is that a word?). Much harder to do that in the pros.

Anyone else getting cold feet now that there is a chance that this could actually happen? I don't think most of us would have thought this was even a possibility but now that it seems to be down to 3 teams (and we are honestly better than both of those teams) it looks like we have a realistic shot at landing Chip.

I'm all for innovation and trying something new, and I know he is the hottest coach out there these days with a lot of hype, but honestly this is would be taking a HUGE risk. It could either turn out great and we will change the game forever, or it could turn out really really horribly wrong. There's a much greater chance that it will be the latter.

The safe bet would be Lovie if we could pair him with a good OC. Whiz with Horton would be a safer bet as well. Or do we bet the HOUSE and put all of our Chip's on Kelly? (see what I did there?)

Odds of him revolutionizing the game and even getting to the playoffs is super long. Along the lines of getting bit by a grizzly bear and a polar bear on the same day. Too long for me.

Since we've been so bad for so long I would prefer something with better odds like an NFL coach that had his team in the Conference Championship last year and went 10-6 this year and brings most of his staff of real, experienced, successful assistants and coordinators with him. Not to mention some players as well.

Chip has never even been in a real NFL locker room. What makes anyone think that his mickey mouse offense will actually work in the NFL?

Sure, lets gamble on a unproven college coach that has no experience in the pros. When he fails we can go back to the rebuilding project for the 4th time in 10 years

WONDERFUL :wallbash:

Edited by HOUSE

Odds of him revolutionizing the game and even getting to the playoffs is super long. Along the lines of getting bit by a grizzly bear and a polar bear on the same day. Too long for me.

Since we've been so bad for so long I would prefer something with better odds like an NFL coach that had his team in the Conference Championship last year and went 10-6 this year and brings most of his staff of real, experienced, successful assistants and coordinators with him. Not to mention some players as well.

Chip has never even been in a real NFL locker room. What makes anyone think that his mickey mouse offense will actually work in the NFL?

This reminds me of the type of question that's been posed to every innovator in American history. I'm sure someone at some point said to Steve Jobs...a personal computer? Why would someone need that?

This reminds me of the type of question that's been posed to every innovator in American history. I'm sure someone at some point said to Steve Jobs...a personal computer? Why would someone need that?

True. But that doesn't mean it's gonna work or that the odds aren't extremely long in this case. Someone is going to hire him because he has to get out of Eugene before the axe falls and then we'll see.

As far as the PC thing, not sure if you were around at the advent of PCs or not. I was. There were a ton of them and most of them failed miserably.

Edited by reddogblitz

I know this isn't going to happen, but I would love if the Bills knew if the Laconfora rumor is true.

Does he really not want to coach the Bills?

If that is the case, and the Bills knew with certainty that Chip Kelly does not want to coach here, I would consider this offseason a success if we released a statement saying we had cancelled our interview with him, and basically insinuate that he needs to earn a chance to interview with us, not vice versa.

Im just so tired of the Bills being football's whipping boy. A less attractive opening than the Browns?? That's absurd.

If Russ is really interested in changing the culture, and repairing the brand, I think telling off some hot-shot college coach with absolutely 0% NFL experiences or contacts to F-off, while encouraging him to take the Browns job instead of Philly so we could beat his ass at least once every 3 years instead of 4 would be a step in the right direction.

In the playground that is the NFL, we are the kid getting bullied by the swingset. It's time to punch someone in the mouth.

Let's make chip our b*tch.

What if K-State smacks Oregon tonight? Would the bloom be off the rose for Kelly? They sure didn't move the ball very well against a tough Stanford defense. Not saying he won't be a very good pro coach but he is not a slam dunk to be a good NFL coach. I suspect he will not come to Buffalo so this might be moot.

I know this isn't going to happen, but I would love if the Bills knew if the Laconfora rumor is true.

Does he really not want to coach the Bills?

If that is the case, and the Bills knew with certainty that Chip Kelly does not want to coach here, I would consider this offseason a success if we released a statement saying we had cancelled our interview with him, and basically insinuate that he needs to earn a chance to interview with us, not vice versa.

Im just so tired of the Bills being football's whipping boy. A less attractive opening than the Browns?? That's absurd.

If Russ is really interested in changing the culture, and repairing the brand, I think telling off some hot-shot college coach with absolutely 0% NFL experiences or contacts to F-off, while encouraging him to take the Browns job instead of Philly so we could beat his ass at least once every 3 years instead of 4 would be a step in the right direction.

In the playground that is the NFL, we are the kid getting bullied by the swingset. It's time to punch someone in the mouth.

Let's make chip our b*tch.

Now ProFootballTalk and, even, WGR are running with LaCanfora's tweet like it's some sort of gospel. Why don't you just come right out there and say "he'll interview with Buffalo, but I don't think he's not going there because Buffalo sucks".

And how do you know this info, LaCanfora? Last I checked, no one was even sure he was going to definitely coach NFL ball. Now you know he's not going to come here? Why is he interviewing then?

To me, it's just negative Bills propaganda perpetuated by the man to hold us down! Brandon was right, we are irrelevant and it's sickening. I mean, seriously? The Arizona Cardinals and Cleveland Browns are getting all this publicity like they're great franchises and we're a wasteland? SERIOUSLY?!

I know Chip's approach and offense are new and effective in college. What makes one think it will work in the NFL aside from it's new and different and worked in college? I'm curious about this. What about it specifically makes you think, yeah, this will work in the NFL? Just because it's new and different doesn't mean it will work. Help me out here.

Chip Kelly is high risk/high reward. Either you like that idea for a coach, or you don't.

If you want the opportunity to be at the forefront of innovation in the NFL, you hire Chip. If you like the idea of all NFL talk being on Buffalo, you hire Chip. If you like the idea of maybe winning a Superbowl, you hire Chip.

If you want to stay the course and give up some of that opportunity in favor of predictability, you don't hire Chip.

I think Chip in the NFL would be like Hitler in WWII. Hitler was an unbelievable risk taker. Some of his wildest successes resulted from those risks, as did some of his most horrible blunders.

I say go for it baby! Roll the Panzers into the Ardennes and let's see if we can conquer France in a few weeks...

The first question you ask Chip is do you genuinely WANT to coach the Buffalo Bills. I know he won't say no. See how passive or aggressive he is to defend his position. If he passively says something like I wouldn't be here if I didn't, DON'T believe him. He is using Buffalo to gain leverage on Clev and Phi. He is also using the interview as practice for the other interviews. If we really want him and we interview him first make him a huge offer and say take it now and don't interview with anyone else or the offer is DEAD.