Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip will interview with Bills, Browns, Eagles:

http://www.usatoday....future/1804873/

http://profootballta...-weekend-plans/

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! FUGG YEAH DOGGY!

.... sorry. He's #1 on my list. I had heard all day that we reportedly wanted to interview him. But hearing reported interest and seeing a confirmed interview is taking place by the national media is another. Sorry Doc, I was just looking for this kind of confirmation. Fingers crossed! :thumbsup:

For argument's sake, since there really is no clear cut choice or stud coach available, combined with the fact that IF you believe the Bills are only a top flight QB away from being a pretty good team and there is no top flight QB available in FA or the draft, there is one way to look at all the coaching prospects...

They will all either totally fail, kinda fail, do pretty well, or knock it out of the park.

If ANY of them do either of the lower two, it doesn't matter who they choose.

If ANY of them get to the "do pretty well" stage, it would seem to me that Kelly's do pretty well would equal or top any of the other's. None would probably satisfy us, because doing pretty well isn't going to get us to the promised land we all want. But if Kelly does pretty well, it's probably a better ride and more fun than any of the others.

If ANY of them knock it out of the park, Kelly's knock it out of the park to me seems way higher than any other candidate's knock it out of the park.

So the question may come down to the chances of any of them knocking it out of the park versus each other. And I really don't see anything in any of the other candidate's that would lead me to believe they have a much better chance at it than he does. And probably less of a chance.

I would take the gamble I think.

...and some gambles are larger(much larger) than others.

Worst case scenario, the Bills hire Chip and they suck like they have the last 13 years.

Best case scenario, he lights the league up.

Chip's chance of lighting the league up is much greater than Whiz, Horton, etc, in my opinion.

Go big or go home

Everything is a gamble.

This.

1) If you bring in an offensive or defensive coordinator, odds are he'll have no previous head coaching experience.

2) If you bring in someone with previous NFL head coaching experience, odds are you're bringing in someone who'd previously been fired from his previous job as an NFL head coach.

3) If you hire a head coach who'd retired from his previous coaching gig after having won a Super Bowl, you have to deal with the fact that no one in NFL history has ever been the head coach of two different Super Bowl champion teams. Jimmy Johnson won Super Bowls with the Cowboys, but never with the Dolphins. Bill Parcells won Super Bowls with the Giants, but never with the Jets or Patriots.

Since 2001, the Bills have tried 1) on two different occasions: the Gregg_gg Williams hire, and the Mike Mularkey hire. Both hires were risks, and neither worked out. They also used method 2) on two different occasions: the Jauron hire and the Gailey hire. With hires like that, you run the risk that their previous employers knew what they were doing when they fired these guys in the first place. The more I saw of Jauron's coaching with the Bills, the more glaringly obvious it became why Chicago had fired him.

In the form of Chip Kelly, the Bills have the potential to get a guy who's been successful as a head coach. Maybe not as an NFL head coach, but as a head coach nonetheless. You also have a chance to get a guy who's known for being a brilliant, outside-the-box thinker, and one of those responsible for the evolution of thinking in football. Chip Kelly seems to have roughly the same intellectual horsepower as Belichick, without necessarily having the same personality.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Just read that Belicheat brought out Chip Kelly over the Summer so that he could learn some of the nuances of his Oregon offense, and implement some aspects of it. We did see New England run a hurry style type offense on occasion. If its good enough for Belicheat it's good enough for me. Gotta get this done!!

This.

1) If you bring in an offensive or defensive coordinator, odds are he'll have no previous head coaching experience.

2) If you bring in someone with previous NFL head coaching experience, odds are you're bringing in someone who'd previously been fired from his previous job as an NFL head coach.

3) If you hire a head coach who'd retired from his previous coaching gig after having won a Super Bowl, you have to deal with the fact that no one in NFL history has ever been the head coach of two different Super Bowl champion teams. Jimmy Johnson won Super Bowls with the Cowboys, but never with the Dolphins. Bill Parcells won Super Bowls with the Giants, but never with the Jets or Patriots.

Since 2001, the Bills have tried 1) on two different occasions: the Gregg_gg Williams hire, and the Mike Mularkey hire. Both hires were risks, and neither worked out. They also used method 2) on two different occasions: the Jauron hire and the Gailey hire. With hires like that, you run the risk that their previous employers knew what they were doing when they fired these guys in the first place. The more I saw of Jauron's coaching with the Bills, the more glaringly obvious it became why Chicago had fired him.

In the form of Chip Kelly, the Bills have the potential to get a guy who's been successful as a head coach. Maybe not as an NFL head coach, but as a head coach nonetheless. You also have a chance to get a guy who's known for being a brilliant, outside-the-box thinker, and one of those responsible for the evolution of thinking in football. Chip Kelly seems to have roughly the same intellectual horsepower as Belichick, without necessarily having the same personality.

You actually wrote out everything that I was thinking!

I am all for Kelly. Let's potentially get ahead of the curve for once!! I want us to dictate the flow rather that 13 more years of always reacting and reacting slowly

I also love David Shaw from Stanford but he hasn't been mentioned to anyone let alone Buff

Shaw just signed a contract extension with Stanford, I would love him as well.