Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

There seemed to be some confusion on WGR after they spoke with Brandon one-on-one in regards to what degree statistical analysis would be used in player evaluation due to the fact the dept. will be run by Jim Overdorf's group. This seems to have been clarified somewhat, but I don't know how much infrastructure could possibly be in place. The punting thing may or may not show Whisenhunt to have similar tendencies to "old fashioned" coaches like Gailey. Or it could mean nothing at all, with no context. Like zonabb implied, it's not really true analytics, but it seemed to make sense at the time.

Same here. Indications from Jerry Sullivan on WGR on Monday are that Russ Brandon has been all for making sweeping changes to the organizational approach for a few years, but he was held in check to some degree. I'd like to see an uninhibited youth infused new vision.

I'm interested in Chip Kelly because he has an innovative approach to offense--- however, it remains to be seen if that will translate to the NFL although it can be argued that the NCAAF innovations are emerging in the NFL year after year. You are right, though--- he hasn't accomplished enough to stand on those merits alone. I'd just like him to be under consideration and not dismissed out of hand.

I understand your position. We have to explore all options and leave no stone unturned...but it's important that we get it right! I just don't want a gimmick offense, give me a coach that strategizes & looks to exploit the opponents weakness on Offense & that's aggressive on Def...is that asking too much?

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disregard that most successful organizations have invested heavily in developing statistical evaluation and technology.... And we're likely among those furthest behind that curve in any of the major sports....

We're going to be the A's, clearly.

Right. And it's not as though the twice champion minor market Red Sox hired Bill James, the guy who practically invented this stuff. Oh. Wait.

I understand your position. We have to explore all options and leave no stone unturned...but it's important that we get it right! I just don't want a gimmick offense, give me a coach that strategizes & looks to exploit the opponents weakness on Offense & that's aggressive on Def...is that asking too much?

Ultimately, my position is the same as yours--- I only want them to leave no stone unturned because I want them to get it right! I read 2 interesting articles on Kelly today, one which was linked in this thread a few pages ago:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--chip-kelly-s-frenetic-offensive-approach-never-more-appealing-for-nfl-teams-201151765.html

According to the 2nd link (from November), several NFL coaches call Chip for advice, and Bill Bellichick has largely revamped the NE offense to mimic Oregon's.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but Oregon is out in Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl. Russ didn't deny that he could meet with Kelly when he's out there.

It has been mentioned, but NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora has also specifically stated today that the Bills will try to meet with him in Arizona following the Fiesta Bowl. Although he also believes that Kelly is leaning toward staying at Oregon.

Yes I've cited this numerous times.

I defy any of the pro-Chip Kelly people to name me one single person who never coached in the NFL before becoming a successful NFL head coach.

sobering thought. but u can always turn that around. name me some guys who entered the NFL for the first time as a head coach .

there are probably very few to makea decent sized sample.then u need to acct for the fact that most guys w oodles of nfl exp fail.

Ultimately, my position is the same as yours--- I only want them to leave no stone unturned because I want them to get it right! I read 2 interesting articles on Kelly today, one which was linked in this thread a few pages ago:

http://www.grantland...-familiar-seems

http://sports.yahoo....-201151765.html

According to the 2nd link (from November), several NFL coaches call Chip for advice, and Bill Bellichick has largely revamped the NE offense to mimic Oregon's.

It has been mentioned, but NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora has also specifically stated today that the Bills will try to meet with him in Arizona following the Fiesta Bowl. Although he also believes that Kelly is leaning toward staying at Oregon.

Great articles on Kelly and I'm sold. This guy would really propel us into the modern era and I'm ready to be all in on him.

sobering thought. but u can always turn that around. name me some guys who entered the NFL for the first time as a head coach .

there are probably very few to makea decent sized sample.then u need to acct for the fact that most guys w oodles of nfl exp fail.

True. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Someone came up with Jimmy Johnson as a guy who had never coached in the NFL before becoming an NFL head coach.

It worked alright for him.

I defy any of the pro-Chip Kelly people to name me one single person who never coached in the NFL before becoming a successful NFL head coach.

Jimmy Johnson

Barry Switzer

I'm not sure if I'm a pro-Chip Kelly people or not. I'm not sure his routine would work in the NFL. At Oregon he has the best players. He plays in a weak conference. With the Bills he wouldn't have any of that. But it would be fun. I might give it a go if we could get him. Not sure.

One thing over looked about him is that he has turnover crazy defenses.

I'd rather have Lovie.

OK, its been awhile since I last posted but I think its time for one simple request. This request is made with the beleif that Gruden is not going to come to Buffalo, he would be my big wish!

Instead of another has been or a someone elses cast off, I think we make a hard push for Chip Kelly!!!!!!! He is young, Hungry and an innovater!

lets go get him boys, before they others do,

If that fails go after Bruce Arians!! not a bad consalation prize.

No Thanks! I do not see him being successful in the NFL.

We could only be so lucky.

Remember last summer when Chip visited Bills training camp? I don't think it was ever publicized by the Bills, but I remember a few players tweeting that Chip was visiting.

If I'm Russ Brandon, I'm going "All In" for Chip

Jimmy Johnson

Barry Switzer

I'm not sure if I'm a pro-Chip Kelly people or not. I'm not sure his routine would work in the NFL. At Oregon he has the best players. He plays in a weak conference. With the Bills he wouldn't have any of that. But it would be fun. I might give it a go if we could get him. Not sure.

One thing over looked about him is that he has turnover crazy defenses.

I'd rather have Lovie.

PAC12 is not a weak conference. Stanford, USC, Oregon State, and Washington all have good football programs. SEC IMO is over rated. PAC12 plays a different type of football compared to SEC. I would say that U of O football has shaped how the division plays. That my friends is innovation and is another reason why I like Chip. He dictates the games.