Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

Those of you who want Chip Kelly hired should also take into consideration the fact that you just spent the last season of Bills football watching an experienced, veteran coach with an excellent grasp of offensive football struggle mightily to both manage a game and call an offense at the same time. You sure you want to go with that set-up again?

Chip might be able to pull that off against the Washington Huskies of the world, but whether he can do it against the Washington Redskins is an entirely different matter.

And you can count the guys who have been able to win a championship while simultaneously wearing both those hats in the modern NFL on approximately 1 finger.

I don't like the dynamic any more than I like the dynamic of a coach also being responsible for player personnel. And while I admire the breathtaking speed at which Kelly's well-designed offenses execute, unless he wants to come here as just an Offensive co-ordinator, I think it would be a bad idea for the Bills to hire a guy and allow him to wear both the HC and OC hats again.

I hear what you're saying...And I don't disagree...I have heard that Kelly is well aware of the fact that he's not going to be able to do the same thing in the NFL...By all accounts he's a sharp, super-innovative, forward-minded Coach...He intrigues me no question...But I do understand the deck will be stacked against him a bit...I'm to the point with this Franchise that I'd rather give a guy like Kelly a shot than have a re-tread...I'm not basing that on anything other than my gut...Which is mostly useless... :lol:

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is confident, smart, innovative and bold and he has won a lot of games against teams with better athletes than he has had at Oregon.

Like who for example? I would say the opposite is true. He ran up against Auburn and they whipped his ass. Stanford this year as well. the rest of the time he plays Washington, Wazoo, Oregon State, Colorado, Utah, UCLA, USC. Arizona, Arizona St. No real world beaters there.

I know most on here don't seem to care, but I don't like these guys that get hired by a public university to run a clean program, but instead don't. They recruit players to play for them promising national championship runs. Then just before the axe falls, they leave said players and the university to pay the price while they skate off to get millions based on a record they achieved by playing fast and loose with the rules.

I hope some other NFL team takes him and he fails miserably if this is indeed the case. Sure looks like it.

Sure looks like he's pulling a Pete Carroll. I hope not.

Edited by reddogblitz

The biggest role in innovation for college football the last 10 years has been the spread pass and run offenses. All these offenses use speed and space. Kelly then added the element of turning it into hyper mode. Often times defenses are hardly even set. It is a wonderful offense to watch in the college game but in no way is it functional in the NFL. Similar to what Steve Spurrier learned, another spread innovator but of the passing variety, you just don't have the time per play, space, or speed advantage to execute such an offense. That's not to say Chip would run the same system, but then what are you left with? A guy running the spread offense in the NFL who has zero experience in the NFL? People also have valid points about player management and motivation in regards to the CFB/NFL. That is always a concern, even more so when dealing with a coach who has no NFL playing experience.

What I like about Kelly is he could be that 1 in 100 type of guy vs another guarantee to mediocrity. This is an extremely high risk/reward scenario. Kelly is very smart, he understands that coaches are keeping points off the board by not being aggressive enough. He would revolutionize the NFL in 4th down attempts. He understands that on 3rd and 5 if he doesn't get it, he's going for it, but he and his players do so with zero hesitation. Why wait for a defense to adjust and tie it's shoes just because it's fourth down? I love that he predetermines his 4th down calls on 3rd down. He will analyze the NFL game and try and take advantage of every subtle detail that is physically possible. That's just who he is.

Either perspective, it would make for a very interesting signing.

The biggest role in innovation for college football the last 10 years has been the spread pass and run offenses. All these offenses use speed and space. Kelly then added the element of turning it into hyper mode. Often times defenses are hardly even set. It is a wonderful offense to watch in the college game but in no way is it functional in the NFL.

This kind of thing works in college at a school like Oregon because all his guys are faster than the guys on the other team. In the NFL they aren't.And if the QB is a runner, he gets his head taken off. then he either is hurt a lot (Vick and RGIII) or decides to become a pocket passer. I doubt his system would work at North Texas State vs Oregon or Oklahoma. I question that it would work for Buffalo vs New England or Denver or Atlanta. Again, it works in college when your talent is way better than most other teams.

What I like about Kelly is he could be that 1 in 100 type of guy vs another guarantee to mediocrity. This is an extremely high risk/reward scenario. Kelly is very smart, he understands that coaches are keeping points off the board by not being aggressive enough. He would revolutionize the NFL in 4th down attempts. He understands that on 3rd and 5 if he doesn't get it, he's going for it, but he and his players do so with zero hesitation. Why wait for a defense to adjust and tie it's shoes just because it's fourth down? I love that he predetermines his 4th down calls on 3rd down. He will analyze the NFL game and try and take advantage of every subtle detail that is physically possible. That's just who he is.

The 4th down thing sounds cool if it works. If it doesn't you're going to lose a lot games. Can you imagine going for it and not getting it around mid field 2 or 3 times vs New England or Denver?

You can afford to do this stuff at Oregon where you have better talent than most of your opponents. Didn't work so well against Auburn.

The thing that gets over looked with Kelly at Oregon is that his defenses have been very good at getting turn overs and scoring. I've watched a lot Oregon games and they almost always get a pick 6 or two in the 2nd half. Hopefully he could replicate that.

Edited by reddogblitz

This kind of thing works in college at a school like Oregon because all his guys are faster than the guys on the other team. In the NFL they aren't.And if the QB is a runner, he gets his head taken off. then he either is hurt a lot (Vick and RGIII) or decides to become a pocket passer. I doubt his system would work at North Texas State vs Oregon or Oklahoma. I question that it would work for Buffalo vs New England or Denver or Atlanta. Again, it works in college when your talent is way better than most other teams.

The 4th down thing sounds cool if it works. If it doesn't you're going to lose a lot games. Can you imagine going for it and not getting it around mid field 2 or 3 times vs New England or Denver?

You can afford to do this stuff at Oregon where you have better talent than most of your opponents. Didn't work so well against Auburn.

The thing that gets over looked with Kelly at Oregon is that his defenses have been very good at getting turn overs and scoring. I've watched a lot Oregon games and they almost always get a pick 6 or two in the 2nd half. Hopefully he could replicate that.

That's what I was sort of getting at with these speed base offenses not functioning in the NFL. To much speed to counteract it, so he would basically be relegated to a first year NFL spread system? Meh...Not overly appealing. He is one sharp dude though. The 4th down data is similar to Bill James approach to baseball. Studies have been done, you likely can locate them online pretty easily, just regarding HC's leaving points on the board by punting on 4th down to frequently. That in otherwise unheard of circumstances going for it actually has more long term value. Similar to going for 2. Damn the score, if you have a 50.1 conversion rate, going for 2 will provide more points then going for the XP. Obviously Kelly is not going to go for it inside his 30 or something that crazy, but maybe,just like the MLB game coaches have been doing it all wrong? Would it be that shocking? I know Kelly is very much data driven, maybe he is the guy that can be NFL's Billy Beane.

Again, huge risk/reward, but after this many seasons of sucktitude I'm ok with a Home Run swing on this hire.

Edited by KzooMike

Alright, I drank tha Kool-Aid and love it.

Count me in on the Chip Kelly bandwagon.

High risk/reward, but worth it.

This organization is beginning a totally new phase with the old guard passing the torch to the young guys.

We do not need a retread.

Go BIlls!

Again, huge risk/reward, but after this many seasons of sucktitude I'm ok with a Home Run swing on this hire.

Here's where you and other Kelly-ites and I disagree. The huge risk/reward part. As you say after this many seasons of suckitude I'm thinking the opposite. I want someone who has the greatest chance of getting us good again. Lovie has done it with the Bears. he knows what it takes to get to a SB. He also can hire good co ordinators and assistants that have also done it in the NFL. He can probably even drag some FAs like Melton and others here as well.

If we take a big risk on Kelly we'll also be taking a big risk on who he hires for his staff as they'll probably be NFL neophytes as well.

If I were the Patsies replacing Bill Bellyache I may take this kind of chance.

Everyone loves a risk taker when it works. I just see the odds as being too long. I want to go for a surer thing. I'm tired of sucking.

The thing is this, Buffalo: do you want to keep drinking the same old Genesee and Labatt Blue, or do you want to try this new lager from a micro brewery in New Hampshire? What's to lose? You will just have to pay a little more for a more interesting taste experience.

Time for a change!

I'm sorry but I have a feeling that Chip Kelly will be like Shanahan when we interviewed him and say thanks but no thanks,

I guess I'm just used to the Bills not being able to land a highly coveted coach.

CBF

So many fans so negative all the time. I read the same when Mario Williams came to town as a FA...no star that big will sign with the Bills...etc. I don't think he'd interview with the Bills if he didn't already think he'd be wiling to come here. Don't forget every interview he does with an NFL team will be used against him in recruiting by other college coaches.

The thing is this, Buffalo: do you want to keep drinking the same old Genesee and Labatt Blue, or do you want to try this new lager from a micro brewery in New Hampshire? What's to lose? You will just have to pay a little more for a more interesting taste experience.

Time for a change!

Genesee actually produces that microbrew from New Hampshire

That's what I was sort of getting at with these speed base offenses not functioning in the NFL. To much speed to counteract it, so he would basically be relegated to a first year NFL spread system? Meh...Not overly appealing. He is one sharp dude though. The 4th down data is similar to Bill James approach to baseball. Studies have been done, you likely can locate them online pretty easily, just regarding HC's leaving points on the board by punting on 4th down to frequently. That in otherwise unheard of circumstances going for it actually has more long term value. Similar to going for 2. Damn the score, if you have a 50.1 conversion rate, going for 2 will provide more points then going for the XP. Obviously Kelly is not going to go for it inside his 30 or something that crazy, but maybe,just like the MLB game coaches have been doing it all wrong? Would it be that shocking? I know Kelly is very much data driven, maybe he is the guy that can be NFL's Billy Beane.

With Brandon saying they were going to apply a layer of analytics to player evaluation and game performance, it would make sense to have a guy like Chip Kelly because he is a coach that is fueled by analytics. Perhaps the Bills are building their approach to cater to Chip Kelly.

So many fans so negative all the time. I read the same when Mario Williams came to town as a FA...no star that big will sign with the Bills...etc. I don't think he'd interview with the Bills if he didn't already think he'd be wiling to come here. Don't forget every interview he does with an NFL team will be used against him in recruiting by other college coaches.

I agree and it gets so old. I'm just glad some of the bitter fans aren't the ones doing the recruiting. Brandon has his faults but he loves the Bills and will make his best sales pitch.

Jason LaCanfora isn't so optimistic that Chip will choose Buffalo:

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

CLE, BUF and PHI waiting to talk to Chip Kelly following Fiesta Bowl but from what i hear, as have been reporting, its CLE, PHI or Oregon

Jason LaCanfora isn't so optimistic that Chip will choose Buffalo:

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

CLE, BUF and PHI waiting to talk to Chip Kelly following Fiesta Bowl but from what i hear, as have been reporting, its CLE, PHI or Oregon

Would be nice to see him eat crow.

I say we offer top pay to Chip Kelly then draft Tajh Boyd and DeAndre Hopkins. Tajh would fit great in a Kelly offense and Hopkins and Tajh obviously are on the same page. Hopkins had 1405 yds and 18 TDs this yr at Clemson. Tajh has had two stellar years as the Clemson signal caller. Bills starting offense would look like this QB Tajh Boyd RB CJ Spiller WR Stevie Johnson WR DeAndre Hopkins WR TJ Graham.