Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

We could only be so lucky.

Remember last summer when Chip visited Bills training camp? I don't think it was ever publicized by the Bills, but I remember a few players tweeting that Chip was visiting.

If I'm Russ Brandon, I'm going "All In" for Chip

Kelly knew or worked with one of the Bills coaches. I don't know who that person(s) is. That was the reason he was there. Now, since the whole staff is gone, and IF Kelly will interview with the Bills I am sure he will listen to his friends feedback.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am intrigued by the idea of Chip Kelly for sure. The one thing I don't know is whether or not Chip Kelly is a guy who thinks he's smarter than you and his way will work and you cannot stop him, OR, whether he is a guy that came up with his offense because he saw the weaknesses in the defenses he was playing and cleverly figured out a way to beat it, and would then take that philosophy to the NFL and figure out a way to beat NFL defenses using a combination of his college offense and new and used proven effective ways in the NFL. The Grantland article referenced above at least suggests that it may be the latter, which would be great.

I'm also concerned he doesn't have a lot of contacts around the NFL so fielding a top staff may be difficult.

I have heard he's an arrogant bastard but that may just be over-stated and over-rated (see Bellichick/Harbaugh, etc)

I think we should interview him and go after him and see what happens though.

I am intrigued by the idea of Chip Kelly for sure. The one thing I don't know is whether or not Chip Kelly is a guy who thinks he's smarter than you and his way will work and you cannot stop him, OR, whether he is a guy that came up with his offense because he saw the weaknesses in the defenses he was playing and cleverly figured out a way to beat it, and would then take that philosophy to the NFL and figure out a way to beat NFL defenses using a combination of his college offense and new and used proven effective ways in the NFL. The Grantland article referenced above at least suggests that it may be the latter, which would be great.

I'm also concerned he doesn't have a lot of contacts around the NFL so fielding a top staff may be difficult.

I have heard he's an arrogant bastard but that may just be over-stated and over-rated (see Bellichick/Harbaugh, etc)

I think we should interview him and go after him and see what happens though.

Bellichick/Harbaugh overrated?

I think winning super bowls means you're not.

No. I meant that being an arrogant bastard as a drawback is over-rated, as we would love to have an arrogant bastard like Bellichick or Harbaugh coach our team.

Okay. Just so we're on the same page. I like winning Super Bowl. Kelly can be the biggest dick in the world if he has that trophey witting at OBD.

I could be way off, but when russ used the words:

"New era for the organization"

"New Legacy"

"Forward Thinking, Progressive"

"Attacking Organization"

"Empowering world class people"

The only candidate I could picture was Chip Kelly...guys like Whiz or Lovie are NOT forward thinking or progressive!

I think russ takes a big swing at Chip...who knows if he can snag him

I am not a college ball guy. Can anyone tell me what would be different about Chip than Steve Spurrier?

Please recognize that EVERYONE wanted Spurrier when Wash grabbed him...

This seems to be the authoritative tome on Chip Kelly:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

I am not a college ball guy. Can anyone tell me what would be different about Chip than Steve Spurrier?

Please recognize that EVERYONE wanted Spurrier when Wash grabbed him...

I agree completely, unless the college coach has NFL expereince before he went to college. Jmmy Johnson at dallas was an exception to the rule. Steve Spurrier is more the rule.

Okay. Just so we're on the same page. I like winning Super Bowl. Kelly can be the biggest dick in the world if he has that trophey witting at OBD.

Kelly doesn't seem to come off as arrogant or a dick to many. What he does seem to demonstrate in interviews, on the field, or with his players is confidence. Nothing wrong with that. Chances of him landing in Buffalo? Not good. One thing off the top is that he favors smaller O-lineman in his frantic offensive pace. The Bills O-line might not suit his game? He runs plays on average every 13 seconds. With no substitutions.

The plus side is he loves to run to set up the pass. The Bills in that regard would intrigue him. He also seems to cut and plug his quarterbacks. Example the freshman that started for him this year won that job in training.

Russ Brandon would need to back up a truck full of money to get his attention away from the Browns. Although I doubt it. Maybe Brandon is willing to. So that in exchange for less control that Kelly a rookie head coach will want, greenbacks would suffice.

Also, can Bills fans be happy with Kelly's program which in all likelihood will not get them deep into the playoffs in the first couple of years? If he can even succeed in the NFL. I think the Bills should go balls deep for the guy and give him what he needs.

The CJ Spiller lead running attack with Kelly calling the plays would be awesome to see.

Edited by Best Player Available

Kelly doesn't seem to come off as arrogant or a dick to many. What he does seem to demonstrate in interviews, on the field, or with his players is confidence. Nothing wrong with that. Chances of him landing in Buffalo? Not good. One thing off the top is that he favors smaller O-lineman in his frantic offensive pace. The Bills O-line might not suit his game? He runs plays on average every 13 seconds. With no substitutions.

The plus side is he loves to run to set up the pass. The Bills in that regard would intrigue him. He also seems to cut and plug his quarterbacks. Example the freshman that started for him this year won that job in training.

Russ Brandon would need to back up a truck full of money to get his attention away from the Browns. Although I doubt it. Maybe Brandon is willing to so that in exchange for less control that Kelly a rookie head coach will want.

Also, can Bills fans be happy with Kelly's program which in all likelihood will not get them deep into the playoffs in the first couple of years? If he can even succeed in the NFL. I think the Bills should go balls deep for the guy and give him what he needs.

The CJ Spiller lead running attack with Kelly calling the plays would be awesome to see.

Imagine Spiller and RG3 running Kelly's offense??? I like David Shaw better but I'd sign up for Kelly in a heartbeat. It'd be exciting at the very least.

This seems to be the authoritative tome on Chip Kelly:

http://www.grantland...-familiar-seems

This article from New Year's Eve has some pretty interesting stuff on how the NFL is mimicing his offensive philosophy and remarks that a few NFL coaches have called him for advice:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--chip-kelly-s-frenetic-offensive-approach-never-more-appealing-for-nfl-teams-201151765.html

I could be way off, but when russ used the words:

"New era for the organization"

"New Legacy"

"Forward Thinking, Progressive"

"Attacking Organization"

"Empowering world class people"

The only candidate I could picture was Chip Kelly...guys like Whiz or Lovie are NOT forward thinking or progressive!

I think russ takes a big swing at Chip...who knows if he can snag him

This is what I'm thinking, too.

I liked hearing this from Kelly today, although it really scares me that he has never coached or played in the NFL before.

Do you expect to field some offers here in the next week?

Answer:
I don't expect anything. I've said this a million times. I'm never surprised by anything. I do not know what the future holds. I do know we have a football game tomorrow night and I'm going to be there.

Kelly said NFL talk hasn’t been a distraction because he hasn’t talked about it with his team.

“I've never been asked a question by one of my players,” he said. “I think one of the tenets of how we do things in our program is we don't let outside influences control our lives. It's kind of just noise to us. They've never said a word to me. I've never said a word to them. I always believe that praise and blame is all the same. You can't, again, be a selective participant and listen to things that are good being said about you and block out bad things being said about you.”

Someone else asked how Kelly felt his offensive system would work in the NFL.

“Don’t know, haven’t been there…” Kelly said. “There's a lot of ways to play football…Trends go one way and the other... Any coach is going to learn from other people and see how they can implement it in their system. Anything you do has to be personnel driven. You have to adapt to the personnel you have. There's a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have. The key is making sure what you're doing is giving your people a chance to be successful.”