Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

I would jump through hoops if we get kelly.

I would love it. I would love to see some of the athletes we have on offense run his offense. I am not thinking its likely but I am not viewing it as a possibility which I wasn't doing before.

Just find it an interesting coincidence that they are headed to Arizona first.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you suggesting that Kelly is pass-happy? If so, you obviously don't know much about Chip Kelly's Oregon team. Oregon is a run first offense that has the ability to throw when the defense stacks the box. They happen to have a very talented passer this year, but they are still a run-oriented offense.

The ONLY enticing asset we got for a guy like Chip Kelly, is CJ Spiller. Kelly's O is a run first and involves lots of screens and short passes, wont be as drastic for OL and WR corp to adjust to. CJ would EASILY be a 1600 yard rusher with 10 plus TD's and beauty of Kelly's offense is it can work with a lot of diff types of QB's.. it is based on speed and tempo and even if he had a QB like an Alex Smith, it would work or can draft "his" QB of his choice which would be the most likely situation.

If we were fortunate enough to get Kelly, and thts a HUGE IF! we should pair him with an aggressive, in your face DC.. draft Teo in 1st and u have face of your D for next decade.....

Its the year... We can dream!!

As someone who lives in Oregon, I'm pretty sure Kelly could have the pick of any NFL opening. I doubt he leaves the college ranks unless he gets EVERYthing he wants: total power over personnel, a ready QB that fits his mold and gobs of money ... think more than Sean Peyton just got. I actually think Kelly's potential for success is higher than any college coach because of his offensive acumen - but the pro game is so different, it may take a second go-around as a NFL head coach before he truly achieves success.

And sadly, it's a nice dream but Lovey is a much more reasonable expectation at this point.

I would be very pleased if we got Chip Kelly. However, I think it is a real long shot. If I am not mistaken, him and Bellichek are friends who share coaching philosophy. Chip will have a number of opportunities and entering into a division with the Pats who have absolutely dominated the Bills and stunted their growth for more than a decade is highly unlikely.

If the bolded part is true, it makes me want Chip Kelly even more. In order to beat a guy like Belichick, you need another guy with the same intellectual rigor Belichick has. As for whether Belichick's presence would deter Kelly: my guess is that Kelly has a very high level of self-confidence. He's used to succeeding, and probably believes he will continue to succeed as an NFL head coach. Especially if he has a good working relationship with the general manager--a relationship which would allow him to put in place the pieces he wants. Also, Tom Brady isn't getting any younger. Once he retires or loses his edge, the playing field in the AFC East will get a lot more level.

In any case, this article makes a great case why Chip Kelly would be a great head coach.

Lovie Smith sees the potenial of the Bills D-Line to be the second coming of the Tampa Bay line that wreaked havoc on teams for many years in the Tampa 2 scheme...

That would be the second time he'd be taking over a wanny d. Great to hear a reasonably high profile coach called the bills. This is different than 3 years ago when chan took the job no one wanted. Loving the youth movement at OBD.

Moneyball is not necessarily the strategy of a money strapped team, though. The Boston Red Sox hired Bill James (arguably the father of sabremetrics) when they couldn't lure away Billy Beane in 2002--- it was "moneyball" that directly lead to the Red Sox 1st World Series title in 86 years. Oakland was essentially priced out of competition for a few years because the big spending teams started utilizing the same philosophy and targeting the same previously undervalued players--- but they were now getting paid.

In other words, I don't think this is a sign the Bills don't want to spend money, but it is a sign they'd like to be an organization on the cutting edge of football evaluation.

Edited by Punch

Moneyball is not necessarily the strategy of a money strapped team, though. The Boston Red Sox hired Bill James (arguably the father of sabremetrics) when they couldn't lure away Billy Beane in 2002--- it was "moneyball" that directly lead to the Red Sox 1st World Series title in 86 years. Oakland was essentially priced out of competition for a few years because the big spending teams started utilizing the same philosophy and targeting the same previously undervalued players--- but they were now getting paid.

In other words, I don't think this is a sign the Bills don't want to spend money, but it is a sign they'd like to be an organization on the cutting edge of football evaluation.

Agreed. But what worries me is how effective it will actually be, and how they are actually going to use it. It seems like it would be almost like using the combine as the main thing in drafting. Baseball you can use statistics a lot more to predict things.... football, statistics don't mean as much because the sport is just so complex. I like the effort though, and maybe they can make it work. I don't see it working against them really. I mean, they can't do any worse than they have with other methods.

but something tells me that if this team is still in the cellar 3 years from now, there are going to be a lot of jokes that will reference this department.

Agreed. But what worries me is how effective it will actually be, and how they are actually going to use it. It seems like it would be almost like using the combine as the main thing in drafting. Baseball you can use statistics a lot more to predict things.... football, statistics don't mean as much because the sport is just so complex. I like the effort though, and maybe they can make it work. I don't see it working against them really. I mean, they can't do any worse than they have with other methods.

but something tells me that if this team is still in the cellar 3 years from now, there are going to be a lot of jokes that will reference this department.

Its like a lot of what ProFootballFocus, KC Joyner and Aaron Schatz at ProFootballOutsiders have been doing...some very in depth statistical work

Brad Pitt plays Russ in the movie?

Others have explained it well -- but its return on investment as analyzed by key stats. Its more complex in football than baseball because football is more team oriented. One of the stats in football may be the % of time you lose gap control for a D-Lineman or LB or failure to pick up a stunt for an OL. For QB's it may be YPA and/or completion percentage. For RB it may be first downs rushing, yards to first contact (elusiveness) or yards after contact (strength). Its a whole new way to look at film and chart plays. You make $ investments only on players that meet your standards on the metrics.

PFF does a great job..but they don't apply it to specific systems -- offensive and defensive philosophies they do a general analysis. Bills will apply to the systems of the incoming HC, OC, DC, STC.

Look for us to hire Jonah Hill next week..... ;)

Edited by JoeF

Its like a lot of what ProFootballFocus, KC Joyner and Aaron Schatz at ProFootballOutsiders have been doing...some very in depth statistical work

Having the right analysts in place will be crucial to this system having positive results--- and of course, as you say, how effective are the current methods of analysis at projecting football success? The Patriots and 49ers may be the model, but what are they doing exactly? Very interesting potential here.