Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Shaw did recently sign that big extension. And he publicly talked about being at Stanford long enough to see his children graduate.

From Stanford.

He's 40 years old and has 3 children so I sense he's gonna be with the Cardinal for another few years.

But you never know.

He really does seem like a great HC candidate. Really good pedigree I think. I doubt he comes out now though, but he would immediately move to top or near the top of my list.

Im diehard ND fan and have been amazed by Stanford the past few years. The way they play, winning a rose bowl after losing Luck, he's an outstanding coach. Harbaugh started it all when they won at USC 4 years ago for the first time In ages and Shaw has continued it with no hiccup. Not to Mention holding Oregon to 14 in OT @ Autzen stadium in Eugene

But as we all said he doesn't seem too likely to make a a move this year which is fine. I like our candidates at this time and am excited for the future.

Just read that Belicheat brought out Chip Kelly over the Summer so that he could learn some of the nuances of his Oregon offense, and implement some aspects of it. We did see New England run a hurry style type offense on occasion. If its good enough for Belicheat it's good enough for me. Gotta get this done!!

One of the rumors floating around Oregon is that Belicheck will retire from coaching after this season, become Pats' full-time GM and will hire Kelly as head coach. Not the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Those of you who want Chip Kelly hired should also take into consideration the fact that you just spent the last season of Bills football watching an experienced, veteran coach with an excellent grasp of offensive football struggle mightily to both manage a game and call an offense at the same time. You sure you want to go with that set-up again?

Chip might be able to pull that off against the Washington Huskies of the world, but whether he can do it against the Washington Redskins is an entirely different matter.

And you can count the guys who have been able to win a championship while simultaneously wearing both those hats in the modern NFL on approximately 1 finger.

I don't like the dynamic any more than I like the dynamic of a coach also being responsible for player personnel. And while I admire the breathtaking speed at which Kelly's well-designed offenses execute, unless he wants to come here as just an Offensive co-ordinator, I think it would be a bad idea for the Bills to hire a guy and allow him to wear both the HC and OC hats again.

Those of you who want Chip Kelly hired should also take into consideration the fact that you just spent the last season of Bills football watching an experienced, veteran coach with an excellent grasp of offensive football struggle mightily to both manage a game and call an offense at the same time. You sure you want to go with that set-up again?

Chip might be able to pull that off against the Washington Huskies of the world, but whether he can do it against the Washington Redskins is an entirely different matter.

And you can count the guys who have been able to win a championship while simultaneously wearing both those hats in the modern NFL on approximately 1 finger.

I don't like the dynamic any more than I like the dynamic of a coach also being responsible for player personnel. And while I admire the breathtaking speed at which Kelly's well-designed offenses execute, unless he wants to come here as just an Offensive co-ordinator, I think it would be a bad idea for the Bills to hire a guy and allow him to wear both the HC and OC hats again.

I don't understand why game management would be more difficult for him in the NFL. The rules are more or less the same.

Look, at this point there are Kelly skeptics and Kelly enthusiasts. I'm in the latter category because I've seen his program up-close for the past four years. I understand the skeptics' arguments. I can't prove that Kelly will succeed at the next level and I acknowledge that a lot of college coaches flame out in the NFL, but I believe Kelly will be different. He is confident, smart, innovative and bold and he has won a lot of games against teams with better athletes than he has had at Oregon. I think he will do even better in the NFL where there will be a more even playing field in terms of personnel. As other posters have pointed out, is it more of a risk to hire someone like Kelly who has no NFL experience or to hire a coordinator who has never been a head coach at any level? I don't think there is a clear answer. I want Kelly because he's the antithesis of what this franchise has been about for the last 13 years. I believe he is the future--hopefully, the Bills' future.

Sean Payton does it well. Jim Harbaugh does it well. Gary Kubiak if I'm not mistaken does it well. Bellichick used to do it well (as DC). There are a lot of examples of guys doing that well. Not to mention that doing that well is what got them the job in the first place. You're right that some guys can't do it well, but I would imagine that doesn't really have as much to do with too much to think about as opposed to just not being able to make a good percentage of good decisions in the heat and pressure of an NFL game whether they are HC or OC.

I don't understand why game management would be more difficult for him in the NFL. The rules are more or less the same.

The difference is the kind of coaches and programs he'll be running up against. The levels of execution, skill and experience are going to be far beyond anything Kelly has ever seen in the PAC 10 and the tiniest mistakes are brutally answered by guys who know how to exploit them

And I don't think I'm on board with the argument that the Ducks are regularly beating teams who have better athletes. At teh risk of sounding like an Eastern elitist, I am rarely ever impressed with Pac 10 football and those Oregon rosters strike me as being at the top of the heap talent-wise.

Sean Payton does it well. Jim Harbaugh does it well. Gary Kubiak if I'm not mistaken does it well. Bellichick used to do it well (as DC).

Payton is the only one we've seen win a title doing it.

Jim Harbaugh has won exactly one playoff game so far doing it.

Rick Dennison calls most of the Texans offense with Kubiak checking off on calls in critical situations.

And doing it as a D-coordinator is nowhere near as hard as doing it on the offensive side of the ball and even Belichik had the sense to stop trying to do it all at once.

There's enough good candidates available to coach this team that I don't think the Bills have to take the significant risk of asking a guy whose never stepped on an NFL field to assume a responsibility that hardly anybody ever really succeeds with.

The difference is the kind of coaches and programs he'll be running up against.

And I don't think I'm on board with the argument that the Ducks are regularly beating teams who have better athletes.

At teh risk of sounding like an Eastern elitist, I am rarely ever impressed with Pac 10 football.

Payton is the only one we've seen win a title doing it.

Jim Harbaugh has won exactly one playoff game so far doing it.

Rick Dennison calls most of the Texans offense with Kubiak checking off on calls in critical situations.

And doing it as a D-coordinator is nowhere near as hard as doing it on the offensive side of the ball and even Belichik had the sense to stop trying to do it all at once.

There's enough good candidates available to coach this team that I don't think the Bills have to take the significant risk of asking a guy whose never stepped on an NFL field to assume a responsibility that hardly anybody ever really succeeds with.

Mike McCarthy?

Jason La Canfora thinks the Browns will land Chip Kelly or Penn State's Bill O'Brien:

http://cleveland.cbs...elly-or-obrien/

National Football Post Article on Kelly and other potential HC candidates:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-wouldnt-there-be-NFL-interest-in-Oregons-Kelly.html

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Mike McCarthy?

Good call; forgot about him.

But as much as I like Kelly (I would hump a Klondike Bar to have him here as the O-coordinator) I still think hiring him to wear two hats poses an unnecessary risk.

The difference is the kind of coaches and programs he'll be running up against. The levels of execution, skill and experience are going to be far beyond anything Kelly has ever seen in the PAC 10 and the tiniest mistakes are brutally answered by guys who know how to exploit them

And I don't think I'm on board with the argument that the Ducks are regularly beating teams who have better athletes. At teh risk of sounding like an Eastern elitist, I am rarely ever impressed with Pac 10 football and those Oregon rosters strike me as being at the top of the heap talent-wise.

Tough to measure the athletic talent there, but look at how few high NFL draft picks have come out of the program since Kelly's been there. I have not compared the numbers, but I would guess Oregon has ranked in the bottom half of the Pac 12 in terms of producing NFL draftees the past three years and the highest overall pick was LaMichael James, who was picked at the end of round 2 last year.

Jason La Canfora thinks the Browns will land Chip Kelly or Penn State's Bill O'Brien:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/01/02/jason-la-canfora-thinks-browns-likely-to-land-kelly-or-obrien/

They can have Bill O'Brien. If he's the type of guy to, after ONE SEASON into preaching hope and convincing kids to give Penn State a try, leave; I certainly hope the Bills aren't considering him.

Honestly, I don't see what's so great about the Cleveland job. I'd think we'd have the advantage with Chip having the ability to choose his QB in the draft or free agency, instead of being saddled with Brandon Weeden. I'd also think C.J. Spiller would be a more enticing offensive weapon for him than Trent Richardson.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Tough to measure the athletic talent there, but look at how few high NFL draft picks have come out of the program since Kelly's been there. I have not compared the numbers, but I would guess Oregon has ranked in the bottom half of the Pac 12 in terms of producing NFL draftees the past three years and the highest overall pick was LaMichael James, who was picked at the end of round 2 last year.

I don't know what the draft numbers are either, but I rarely ever see the Ducks get "out-athleted". I suppose it could be a matter of their unreal tempo giving more an impression of speed than actually exists.

And just to be clear, I really like Chip Kelly and the Ducks; I actually lived in Eugene for a year and have been in Autzen a couple times and will watch and root for them as much if not more than any other college team. What I don't like is the dynamic of one guy trying to manage a game and call an offense at the same time; especially when we've seen it fail up close so recently.

I guess but if he just hires a competent DC it's a non-issue. Chan left himself no margin for error by selecting two complete boobs to coach his defense. That was far more of an issue than his wearing two hats.

They can have Bill O'Brien. If he's the type of guy to, after ONE SEASON into preaching hope and convincing kids to give Penn State a try, leave; I certainly hope the Bills aren't considering him.

Every coach that leaves college promises his recruits to come to this school and give me a try. I know what you're saying but I really don't see much of a difference. What about what Chip Kelly told his freshman starting QB and entire freshman and sophomore class.

Honestly, I don't see what's so great about the Cleveland job. I'd think we'd have the advantage with Chip having the ability to choose his QB in the draft or free agency, instead of being saddled with Brandon Weeden. I'd also think C.J. Spiller would be a more enticing offensive weapon for him than Trent Richardson.

The Browns have a new owner and Joe Banner is part of their core leadership team. They can offer stability for the long term and have some very good young talent on their roster.

Agreed. He's done a great job, especially going out to all alumni, even stopping here in Buffalo..........And, then he's pulling this. Very disappointed in him now.

He really does seem like a great HC candidate. Really good pedigree I think. I doubt he comes out now though, but he would immediately move to top or near the top of my list.

Agreed on Shaw...Before he signed this new deal I actually was dreaming a bit...

A man can dream... ;)