What's wrong with Chan Gailey

BillsFan130

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mutiple occasions left me scratching the head. the first drive in overtime, 7 passes and 1 run. miss managing the game on several occasions. i dont know whats wrong with him

I agree with Nick Mendola who suggests Chan's friends should "retroactively drug test him" for his play-calling at the end of the game and in overtime.

Geez Louise!

Gailey seems to think he is the smartest one out there. The wildcat produced some positive plays the entire game until the horrible pass by Smith. BTW Did anyone catch the non holding call on the defender? I believe it was on D. Jones as he tried to separate. If that's called then we have a lot less drama. And if Fitz completes that pass to FJ... Fitz and SJ's timing has been off all season. You can tell how frustrated the players are, specifically SJ, when Fizt can't make the simple pass. I wonder if they have lost faith in him too.

Gailey seems to think he is the smartest one out there. The wildcat produced some positive plays the entire game until the horrible pass by Smith. BTW Did anyone catch the non holding call on the defender? I believe it was on D. Jones as he tried to separate. If that's called then we have a lot less drama. And if Fitz completes that pass to FJ... Fitz and SJ's timing has been off all season. You can tell how frustrated the players are, specifically SJ, when Fizt can't make the simple pass. I wonder if they have lost faith in him too.

I was wondering that as well about the holding. I dont know why the Bills reciever didnt make more of it as he did appear to be held. Perhaps it wasnt as bad a throw as it appeared?

Take a look at the whole season last year. Gailey calls games as if we have a top five quarterback. When the run is working, he abandons it in favor of a short, spread passing attack.

Here's the problem: Fitz can't even lead a receiver on a quick slant and is no deep threat whatsoever. Against good teams, this formula fails and we get further behind....causing us to, you guessed it, throw it more.

it's only bad to think you're the smartest when you're not. belichik can get away with. chan can't and he needs to realize it.

I haven't been listening to the whole thing, but it sounds like Schopp thinks that the wildcat pass was a smart play that should have worked because the Cards weren't expecting it.

Is it just me that thinks Fitz doesn't look "inaccurate" as much as he just looks scared?

He seems to be throwing off his back foot even when he doesn't need to.

Just curious if u think fitz has lost the team. The look on Fred Jackson's, Mario Williams and most of the sideline when fitz missed that throw to Fred Jackson was telling. Williams put his hands up like he was saying "wtf" while Jackson looked at fitz with disgust. Coiled this be the end of fitz with his teammates.

I thought Stevie didn't look too happy with Fitz' two bad passes to him in a row in the first half.

When Spiller broke a 17 yard run in OT to Arizona's 35 and we proceeded to throw 3 consecutive incomplete passes, I wanted Chan to resign then and there.

The thing that's especially nuts about that is the fact that two of them were empty backfield plays. After that run, you put Spiller in the backfield, the D has to be prepared for another run. At least then a throw would have the element of surprise. But Spiller doesn't even need the element of surprise.

Yep.

See, if we had lost, but...Chan had coached a great game and Fitz had thrown for 3 TDs and no picks and Fred ran for 100 yards and so did Spiller and Stevie had the catch of the weekend and the D line had 10 sacks...but we lost?

Then...

We lost...Would be what the negative people would say.

So, for today. They have to deal with

We Won

as the only thing that matters. :lol: It's pig-headed, it's frustrating...but so is saying "We Lost". So, today, you have to deal with We Won. Enjoy!

So because the team won they are above criticism as individual players? And if they lose, a player isn't eligible to be praised?

Gues you missed the fact they were putting 8 or even 9 I the box. Was anyone paying attention?? I don't care how good your running game is bit you CAN'T run against that consistently. They were daring the Bulls to throw.

You can argue how well they executed the pass plays but the play calls weren't so bad

Agree that they had 8 in the box... Best call would have been Graham up the seam against the safety. A draw play would have been nice too....

Take a look at the whole season last year. Gailey calls games as if we have a top five quarterback. When the run is working, he abandons it in favor of a short, spread passing attack.

Here's the problem: Fitz can't even lead a receiver on a quick slant and is no deep threat whatsoever. Against good teams, this formula fails and we get further behind....causing us to, you guessed it, throw it more.

This drove me nuts the 2nd half of last season. Now its driving me crazy again this year.

This thread gives me hope, finally most other fans realize what a stooge Gailey really is...

All this win did was give the Bills a worse draft pick, i still doubt this team finishes the season with a winning record

Man my post game nap was long. Anyway my notes i took from the bad coaching display today.

1. 10 mins left 2nd qt. 2 screens in a row both to CJ.

2. 2nd qt. 3:30 left........ 3rd and 2 We spread it out with 5 wides. RUN THE DAMN BALL.

3. No timeouts in first half with 52 seconds left. We go pass. Forget it Chan just take a knee and get to halftime.

4. Wildcat throw 1 and ten in Cards territory . Run the ball and take time off the clock. That's football 101.

5. Win coin in OT toss, come out and spread 3 plays in a row. Why not run CJ or Fred.

6. Believe its time for Chan to make a decision and let CJ start. He can take it to house on almost every play. Forget hurting Fred's feelings Be a man and give your best player on the field as much as possible.

They won today despite Chan's coaching. But I guess his approval polls are going to drop after this.

Agree that they had 8 in the box... Best call would have been Graham up the seam against the safety. A draw play would have been nice too....

One thing that is really bothering me is that TJ Graham seems like he could have some impact on games, but Fitz can't get it to him anywhere beyond 5 yards from the line!

mutiple occasions left me scratching the head. the first drive in overtime, 7 passes and 1 run. miss managing the game on several occasions. i dont know whats wrong with him

He has plays a choreographed version of the run n shoot offense that warren Moon ran. He does not have warren moon on the roster.

I had a dream the other day we celebrated the win for 15 mins before bitching and moaning.

Normally I am on board with you Cpt., but I don't remember ever being more disgusted with the head coach after a Bills win. Gailey's insistance on having Fitz in shotgun with an empty backfield when the situation dictated otherwise was just odd. The long pass out of the wildcat with 3 minutes left is worthy of worst play call in team history.

So because the team won they are above criticism as individual players? And if they lose, a player isn't eligible to be praised?

Ridiculous, isn't it?

EDIT: Don't confuse me identifying a pattern in the "conventional wisdom", with me thinking that "wisdom" is involved in this in any way whatsoever.

I'm merely saying, that had we played a great game, and coached a great game, but lost, it wouldn't matter to the people who are looking to get rid of Fitz and Chan. They would simply say "we lost". There is a perfect analogy here, but I'm not allowed to use it.

I can merely say: using "we won", as the sole predicate for an argument, is equally as mind-numbing as saying "we lost", and I am merely illustrating that.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The punt in ot was definitely the right call, fwiw.

It may have been the right call given the circumstance. The problem is the three plays before that call. They should not have went for three straight pass plays when the run game was working and they just needed maybe 10 more yards to be in FG range.

It may have been the right call given the circumstance. The problem is the three plays before that call. They should not have went for three straight pass plays when the run game was working and they just needed maybe 10 more yards to be in FG range.

Do you really have fault with the third down 5 yard safe pass to a wide open Fred Jackson that may even have been a first down? Fitz just missed an easy pass. And if you say you really don't think he can hit that pass 90% of the time you're lying. Every QB in the NFL can ;)

Do you really have fault with the third down 5 yard safe pass to a wide open Fred Jackson that may even have been a first down? Fitz just missed an easy pass. And if you say you really don't think he can hit that pass 90% of the time you're lying. Every QB in the NFL can ;)

OK, I can understand that play call on third down. My point is, three straight pass plays was, I think, poor playcalling.

When Spiller broke a 17 yard run in OT to Arizona's 35 and we proceeded to throw 3 consecutive incomplete passes, I wanted Chan to resign then and there.

Same here. What's worse, is that at least two of the incomplete passes came from an EMPTY BACKFIELD. WTFFFFFF. This is fitzpatrick, not manning.

all that needs to be said.right on the money.

yes it was

Same here. What's worse, is that at least two of the incomplete passes came from an EMPTY BACKFIELD. WTFFFFFF. This is fitzpatrick, not manning.

:lol: Chan visualizes he has Tom Brady behind center, someone needs to slap him upside the head now and again.

Someone had to win this trainwreck and the Bills were the better team, letting Brad Smith take a shot downfield out of the wildcat with a lead and three minutes left not withstanding. Nothing cures a terrible, overpaid pass rush quite like the Cardinals offensive line.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20563624/2012-nfl-grades-week-6-homefield-advantage-reigns-supreme

Edited by Fear the Beard

He doesn't let his starting QB throw deep, but allows a 3rd string QB/WR/RB/ whatever he is throw deep at an absolute critical time in the game. Its time to SCRAP the wildcat Chan! Admit you guys made a mistake with Brad Smith - make him a WR for the remainder of the season and MOVE ON.

I think we are witnessing the onset of ahlztimers with Chan. The playcalling is beyond head scratching. Our strength is running the ball and he insists on letting Fitzputrid throw it.

Horrible playcalling in the last quarter and in OT. Hindsight, "we won," really? "The Bills escaped" would be more accurate. And I actually LIKE Gailey, but today, he was a Mauron.

I think you meant he was a "Jauron".

Edited by Azucho98

Ridiculous, isn't it?

EDIT: Don't confuse me identifying a pattern in the "conventional wisdom", with me thinking that "wisdom" is involved in this in any way whatsoever.

I'm merely saying, that had we played a great game, and coached a great game, but lost, it wouldn't matter to the people who are looking to get rid of Fitz and Chan. They would simply say "we lost". There is a perfect analogy here, but I'm not allowed to use it.

I can merely say: using "we won", as the sole predicate for an argument, is equally as mind-numbing as saying "we lost", and I am merely illustrating that.

I don't care about any of that. I just watch the games and evaluate what I see.

I see a bad team. Particularly the QB. I expect that they will win some more games, and may "challenge" for a playoff spot, but there is nothing but heartbreak ahead for anyone that marries this trollop of a team.

Edited by Geno Smith's Arm

get a brain, its 'moran'

im not one to criticize especially after a loss (edit: WIN), but that wc pass in that situation was unconscionable. the only good thing that can happen is a td, which would be great but relatively low likelihood. a turnover there is so thoroughly devestating that its just completely not worth taking the chance

really completely indefensible call. im glad we got away with it, but i really hope he just comes out and says that was the dumbest call of his career or at least since hes been here cuz it sure as hell was

Nope he said they'd been giving us that play so he took it. If it worked we win and its a great call. If not bad call. He said he'd do it over given the same circumstances.

What's missing behind this is having Smith throw it from WC. If theyd been giving it all day wouldn't you just have your starter throw it? Theyre managing around Fitz weaknesses.

completely agree.

hated every facet of our gameplan offensively today--but that punt was the right call at the right time.

cards had put together back to back drives to get well within field goal range, to tie and (attempt to) win the game, respectively.

buckle your seat belts for this one, but lindell sucks as a pressure kicker on anything over 30 yards, and i made this thread when he got injured last year, but IN GAMES WITH "IMPLICATIONS" for the buffalo bills (and theres only been about 5 of them in his career,) where the bills are still in a playoff hunt, lindell on kicks in the fourth quarter is like, 30%.

he misses that, cards ball at midfield and they only need to go 10 yards to win.