What's wrong with Chan Gailey

BillsFan130

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mutiple occasions left me scratching the head. the first drive in overtime, 7 passes and 1 run. miss managing the game on several occasions. i dont know whats wrong with him

And to answer the topic, I think he tries to be too clever. Saving the wildcat throw for that spot was inexplicable. Just a brutal decision. Passing when the run is working. Not leaning on Spiller in a game where it appeared he could dominate. It's like he doesn't want to do what the smart thing is, because he thinks that's what the other team will be expecting. It's a sign that he's lost confidence in the team and in himself. He doesn't think they can just go out and be better than the other guys.

And to answer the topic, I think he tries to be too clever. Saving the wildcat throw for that spot was inexplicable. Just a brutal decision. Passing when the run is working. Not leaning on Spiller in a game where it appeared he could dominate. It's like he doesn't want to do what the smart thing is, because he thinks that's what the other team will be expecting. It's a sign that he's lost confidence in the team and in himself. He doesn't think they can just go out and be better than the other guys.

yea exactly, he tries to outsmart himself everytime. i thought he had this game backwards. when they went conservative they should have been aggressive and when he should have went conservative he went aggressive (wildcat interception)

When Spiller broke a 17 yard run in OT to Arizona's 35 and we proceeded to throw 3 consecutive incomplete passes, I wanted Chan to resign then and there.

Yep.

Gailey's infatuation with the pass - when this team is clearly better suited to run the ball is maddening, as is his affinity for his favorites - Fitz and Jackson, for starters. It's clear that Spiller needs at least twice the touches that Jackson gets.

I was furious with Chan today, but we won. There is certainly a lot to second guess about. I was pissed at how many times we had an empty backfield when we could have and should have run. The Wildcat pass was criminally stupid (I think Donald Jones was supposed to run more to the middle of the field though from what Gailey said). Still, it was a horrible call at that point in the game, IMO.

I thought it was great he didn't try to ice the kicker. I thought the punt was a decent call, and obviously was the right call in retrospect. The game plan wasn't bad. But Chan did not have a good game. Still, we won, and I expected us to be 3-3 at this point in the season, just not this way.

we pass too much. cahn thinks futz is a manning but he is really a girly man.....guy can't throw.... Brad Smith should never be allowed to throw the ball again. Time for Tavaris Jackson and let Spiller run 18-20 times per game already...

No pass too poorly. I just don't understand how this guy consistantly plays worse each subsequent game.

Trevaris just can't be a downgrade from what we have. Chop down the play book if that is what it takes to get him on the field. Enough already.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

No pass too poorly. I just don't understand how this guy consistantly plays worse each subsequent game.

I don't get it either. The first 6 games of last season he was fine but since then he's like a worse version of Kelly Holcomb. He's only capable of the dump off pass and he can't even throw those accurately.

Edited by MDH

Gues you missed the fact they were putting 8 or even 9 I the box. Was anyone paying attention?? I don't care how good your running game is bit you CAN'T run against that consistently. They were daring the Bulls to throw.

You can argue how well they executed the pass plays but the play calls weren't so bad

Yep.

Gailey's infatuation with the pass - when this team is clearly better suited to run the ball is maddening, as is his affinity for his favorites - Fitz and Jackson, for starters. It's clear that Spiller needs at least twice the touches that Jackson gets.

He ran a bunch at the end of regulation before punting it back to them and giving them a 38 yd attempt at the winner.

Chan needs to take a hard look at his roster and see his starting qb is fritz.

I have to agree. The Brad Smith pass and the conservative play calling when we got the ball back with over minute to play. It was the first time I really blamed the play calling. If we would have lost people would have been calling for his head.

100% agree. I've never criticized play calling ever but the brad Smith pass was so so bad. Run out the clock.

He ran a bunch at the end of regulation before punting it back to them and giving them a 38 yd attempt at the winner.

Chan needs to take a hard look at his roster and see his starting qb is fritz.

That series started with a pass attempt, which resulted in a sack.

When Spiller broke a 17 yard run in OT to Arizona's 35 and we proceeded to throw 3 consecutive incomplete passes, I wanted Chan to resign then and there.

This is what I can't stand about Chan, week after week. It's unbearable. Why they ever throw on first down, save for once or twice a game, is beyond me. We should never throw three in a row.

However, my mood is upbeat after this game, and I can't wait until next week. Another "must win," in my opinion.

Today was the first day I REALLY was wanting to punch Chan in the face.

Agreed, when you have two of the best running backs in the league you NEED to run it more. When you're trying to drive down in overtime you give the ball to your best player. When your running back is averaging 7.3 yards a carry you run the ball. This was simply unbelievable to me.

I had a dream the other day we celebrated the win for 15 mins before bitching and moaning.

LOL

I wish I could get on board with that...this just didn't feel like a win to me at all....much of the game was maddening to watch.

Once again CJ averaged like a million yards a carry, yet we stop giving him the ball for some inexplicable reason...and then we let our wildcat QB throw a pass into the endzone late in the 4th quarter when we're up instead of playing smart and putting the game away.

I wish I could feel differently, I just know that today's win doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things until we play smart football.

Horrible playcalling in the last quarter and in OT. Hindsight, "we won," really? "The Bills escaped" would be more accurate. And I actually LIKE Gailey, but today, he was a Mauron.

get a brain, its 'moran'

im not one to criticize especially after a loss (edit: WIN), but that wc pass in that situation was unconscionable. the only good thing that can happen is a td, which would be great but relatively low likelihood. a turnover there is so thoroughly devestating that its just completely not worth taking the chance

really completely indefensible call. im glad we got away with it, but i really hope he just comes out and says that was the dumbest call of his career or at least since hes been here cuz it sure as hell was

Edited by Meathead

Agreed, when you have two of the best running backs in the league you NEED to run it more. When you're trying to drive down in overtime you give the ball to your best player. When your running back is averaging 7.3 yards a carry you run the ball. This was simply unbelievable to me.

Me too...CJ has done this several time this year....the guy is a stud, but Chan just HAS to start tinkering around instead of feeding CJ the ball.

yep, i agree whole-heartedly, he tries to be sneaky and clever, going for the kill, i get it, but its the wrong decision there because frankly, we dont have anyone on the roster that can complete that pass consistently. Not fitz, not smith, not thigpen or even TJ. It was an inexplicably stupid call that almost cost us the game.

If they lost I would say he should have resigned on the spot for taking a win away from the team. That wildcat call was just stupid, run the clock, kick the field goal, Make them have to score a touchdown to beat us, period! Then to call a time out while the were setting up the 61 yard field goal was so madening to me they were rushing to get into position to kick it and we call a time out so they can take there time with it uhug. I have many hail mary's and acts of contrition to say as I used expletive after expletive during the waning minutes of this game.

But hay we are tied for First so all is well in the world whew!