What's wrong with Chan Gailey

BillsFan130

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan's play calling is pretty good. Fitz just can't cash the check that Chan is writing. He is just to inconsistent as a QB. We are stuck with him for now, but next draft we need to draft his replacement.

Doesn't this prove that his playcalling isn't good? If Fitz can't throw well shouldn't Chan know better than to throw the ball so many times in such a crucial time as OT especially when we have 2 solid backs?

Doesn't this prove that his playcalling isn't good? If Fitz can't throw well shouldn't Chan know better than to throw the ball so many times in such a crucial time as OT especially when we have 2 solid backs?

You can look at it that way, but if Fitzmiss could get the ball any where close to the target those are 1st down and touchdowns.

His play calling would make sense if they didn't have a running game and they had a stud at QB.

That said, they have a very good to great run game and their QB can't complete a pass to save his life.

And that Wildcat prayer was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. That was literally the worst point so far this season to try it, yet Gailey calls it.

Chan is a complete joke and is admittedly clueless about much that is going on with his football team. How many times are we going to see a short pass play called on third and long and by short i mean behind the line of scrimmage and on third and short when the offense is having some success moving the ball he opts to have Fitz who couldn't connect on a ball thrown over 20 yards to save his life throw a 30 yard pass to the sideline??? You play the ratio and Fitz missis that throw 15 out of 16 times. No decoy's in the backfield??? You use that wrinkle to keep the defense at least guessing a little more than if you don't. Chan does NOT understand the rhythm of the game. He is NOT a good O.C let alone coach and is an awful judge of talent. Get rid of this god awful qaurterback and head coach and I think we have some talent here to make things work. I would love to have Gino smith, but we'll see. Happy that we won but this is bittersweet. This team has no realistic chance at being consistent. Time for a change soon. It should be an interesting offseason.

Chan's play calling is pretty good.

For the other !@#$ing team, maybe.

Any coach that can have Jackson and Spiller in the backfield, but instead decides to run an empty backfield set, needs to be slapped. Repeatedly. With a frying pan.

For the other !@#$ing team, maybe.

Any coach that can have Jackson and Spiller in the backfield, but instead decides to run an empty backfield set, needs to be slapped. Repeatedly. With a frying pan.

Other than the grammatical issues, you have a real point here.

gailey and fitz are cumulatively going to give me an aneurysm one of these days.

Great time to try that wildcat hail mary pass though!

I'm more concerned w/ Fitz than I am Chan. I'm too damn lazy to pay enough attention to tally it, but I'm curious how much yardage we lost to Fitz' powderpuff arm.

Edit: Just to be clear though, we're still talking about Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb. Just, given the choice of a better option today, I'd take a different QB.

Edited by mcjeff215

There were a lot of guys that almost blew this game-- Powell's horrible punt, lee smith penalty, brad smith pass, fitz's inaccuracy all game, chan's playcalling.

Bills won in spite themselves.

Is it just me that thinks Fitz doesn't look "inaccurate" as much as he just looks scared?

Just curious if u think fitz has lost the team. The look on Fred Jackson's, Mario Williams and most of the sideline when fitz missed that throw to Fred Jackson was telling. Williams put his hands up like he was saying "wtf" while Jackson looked at fitz with disgust. Coiled this be the end of fitz with his teammates.

His play calling would make sense if they didn't have a running game and they had a stud at QB.

That said, they have a very good to great run game and their QB can't complete a pass to save his life.

And that Wildcat prayer was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. That was literally the worst point so far this season to try it, yet Gailey calls it.

^ This!

And toss in punting in OT instead of a 53 yard FG attempt.

Yes, our defense will handle it ... right Chan? Maybe this week against a back up QB but still really dumb?

The only thing dumber was the 3 passes from Fitz when we needed 7 or 8 yards to get Lindell to a comfortable kick distance.

No wait, the only thing dumber was the deep pass from the Wild Cat when we should have been running down the clock.

Yes, we won, we finally got enough breaks to overcome Chan and Fitz.

And to answer the topic, I think he tries to be too clever. Saving the wildcat throw for that spot was inexplicable. Just a brutal decision. Passing when the run is working. Not leaning on Spiller in a game where it appeared he could dominate. It's like he doesn't want to do what the smart thing is, because he thinks that's what the other team will be expecting. It's a sign that he's lost confidence in the team and in himself. He doesn't think they can just go out and be better than the other guys.

I'm pretty sure that Brad Smith has the option on almost every wildcat play to hand it off, run it himself, or throw. I think blaming Chan for the pass itself isn't correct as it was likely Brad Smith's decision. Blame Chan for even letting that be a possibility.

We won

Yep.

See, if we had lost, but...Chan had coached a great game and Fitz had thrown for 3 TDs and no picks and Fred ran for 100 yards and so did Spiller and Stevie had the catch of the weekend and the D line had 10 sacks...but we lost?

Then...

We lost...Would be what the negative people would say.

So, for today. They have to deal with

We Won

as the only thing that matters. :lol: It's pig-headed, it's frustrating...but so is saying "We Lost". So, today, you have to deal with We Won. Enjoy!

A fluke miss by one of the best kickers in the league buys that country bumpkin another week.

It is not a fluke miss when a player tips a ball. Whether it was extra effort by defense or poor effort by kicking team we will not know.

I had a dream the other day we celebrated the win for 15 mins before bitching and moaning.

Pretty difficult to happen when many appear would be happy if we lost so their bitching before game would match bitching after game.

Edited by BillsWatch

I'm pretty sure that Brad Smith has the option on almost every wildcat play to hand it off, run it himself, or throw. I think blaming Chan for the pass itself isn't correct as it was likely Brad Smith's decision. Blame Chan for even letting that be a possibility.

Or it could be that Smith has the option, but is told "look 'pass' first", so prefers it. We just don't know, really.

The root problem is running the wildcat to begin with.

The play calling was and has been brutal. My personal opinion is that Chan is stubborn and holds a offensive philsophy that he will never bend. He won't change it due to game specifics or lack of players that can execute his game plan. A good coach adapts to the situation, Chan simply won't. That wildcat play is only the most recent glaring example. Empty backfields on 3 and 2s? Play calling like you are down by 14 instead of ahead? The Bills personel dictates that they should be 3 yards and a cloud of dust. ( almost ) The play call breakdown mentioned above works for me. Run to throw Chan, it isn't rocket science.

Fitz needs to sit a game, then he should sit for a second game. Then we should release him and forget about him altogether.

This entire coaching staff should be fired. Chan's play calling was idiotic. You will have to go back tot he NYG fumble against the Eagles about 20 years ago to find as dumb a play call as that pass play by Smith. WTF are you thinking? Stunningly stupid. I fell off of my seat.

Chan tried really really hard to lose the game but Arizona simply would not allow that to happen. I feel sorry for Larry Fitzgerald to have to play on a team with that poor of play at quarterback. He is lucky he is not a Buffalo Bill as our QB is the worst in the league. The absolute worst.

The LBs on this squad, especially number 50 are an embarrassment. How can you not know how to tackle at this point in your career?

Powell may become a good punter in a few years but he is not ready for a pressurized situation. Bring back Brian!!!

Fitz needs to sit a game, then he should sit for a second game. Then we should release him and forget about him altogether.

This entire coaching staff should be fired. Chan's play calling was idiotic. You will have to go back tot he NYG fumble against the Eagles about 20 years ago to find as dumb a play call as that pass play by Smith. WTF are you thinking? Stunningly stupid. I fell off of my seat.

Chan tried really really hard to lose the game but Arizona simply would not allow that to happen. I feel sorry for Larry Fitzgerald to have to play on a team with that poor of play at quarterback. He is lucky he is not a Buffalo Bill as our QB is the worst in the league. The absolute worst.

The LBs on this squad, especially number 50 are an embarrassment. How can you not know how to tackle at this point in your career?

Powell may become a good punter in a few years but he is not ready for a pressurized situation. Bring back Brian!!!

Have to agree about the LBs. They spend too many snaps standing flat footed, watching the game, eating their popcorn for my tastes. I can't decide if they suck or they have analysis paralysis from the Wannstupid scheme.

Who cares if we won, chan made some terrible play calls..we could have just as easily lost due directly to his dumb calls..let's stop giving him the benefit of doubt, this is a big boy league

The idea of the game is to win. He also made some calls to win, and we won. He didn't have the best game but we have won three games with a terrible playing QB, two injured if stud RBs, one WR and a OL with 2-4 injuries already. I would be furious with him if we lost but we didn't, and the object of the game is to score one more point than the other team. The punt turned out to be a good call.

The epitome of Chan Gailey as a coach? ie a reckless, needless playcall at the worst time on offense? All I could think of when Smith threw that pick was why the hell throw a low % pass like that when you are moving the ball and you need to take time off the clock? It reminded me of the Fitz INT vs the Giants last year when they were driving for the win. Why does Chan have to get overly clever when he is in these situations that scream for a conservative playcall?

And to answer the topic, I think he tries to be too clever. Saving the wildcat throw for that spot was inexplicable. Just a brutal decision. Passing when the run is working. Not leaning on Spiller in a game where it appeared he could dominate. It's like he doesn't want to do what the smart thing is, because he thinks that's what the other team will be expecting. It's a sign that he's lost confidence in the team and in himself. He doesn't think they can just go out and be better than the other guys.

I just think Chan out coaches himself. Like they said in Varsity Blues "stick to the basics, stick to the basics, stick the the basics, your about the dumbest smart kid I know." Run the damn ball. I don't even like the way the switch out the running backs. I say put Spiller in there (as much as I love Jackson too) and use Jackson as a third down short yardage back, or put him out as WR in the slot for WR screen passes or something. Be creative. I think if we would have stuck with Spiller and let him get in a rythem he would have dominated. I also couldn't stand the wildcat throw at that point in the game. I understand going for the kill shot but why take out your starting QB (if he really is your starter) put a guy in who hasn't thrown a ball all year and let him throw it to the endzone "really." I thought Chan was trying to lose the game. That is why we don't have a winning culture in Buffalo and just take the W when it is there. I was happy for the players in this game not for Chan. The Defense really stepped up and it looked to me like they tried to keep it simple. I can take getting beat on those big plays when we got preasure with the straight bull rushes, not trying any stunts or trickery to get a pass rush, just straight muscle.