Wannstedt Speaks

Rubes

Bills: 5 questions with defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt

An excerpt:

Some players spoke of assignment problems against the Patriots. Is that still a matter of players getting comfortable in the 4-3 scheme, or at this point is it just mental mistakes?

"It's more (about) fits. This game is not that difficult, whether it's a safety or a linebacker or a defensive lineman, there's only three gaps and everybody's got a gap and you've got to fit it up. It wasn't that we didn't fit it up (against New England), a lot of times you've got to fit things up and get off blocks and make plays. We just didn't play with a sense of urgency in the second half that we did in the first half and like we did the week before. Why, I don't know, with everything at stake. We watched the tape and made the corrections, everybody's on the same page and we've got to go out and get it done this week."

I really have no idea what any of that means.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kinda lame. I think he means guys were not in the right gaps, or if they were, they missed tackles.

That can't be it alone-- there were gaping (like 3-person wide) holes that the RB's were running through.

I also wonder if bigger LB's get better "fits" rather than having Jairus Byrd and Bryan Scott do it.

Bills: 5 questions with defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt

An excerpt:

I really have no idea what any of that means.

It means what he said: you have to account for each gap with a player. And we did.

But that player, usually a player too small for the best "fit" got his ass steamrolled by a G. When it wasn't a DB getting his ass handed to him (Bryan Scott) it was our better "fit" LB, Barnett. Other times it was Byrd or Wilson coming up in run support.

Small against big usually loses.

If the D don't fit, your ass will get hit.

GO BILLS!!!

All I want -- seriously -- is for the Bills' defense to show some aggression, fire, and urgency. Who is the leader to step up and hold these players accountable? I don't want a "workmanlike" defense -- I want them to play like their jobs depend upon it.

I interpret that as: "The players made their assignments and were in the proper position, but didnt play hard or mean enough to get off the block and make a play. They just didnt care like they did in the first half and the week before. I dont know why."

It means what he said: you have to account for each gap with a player. And we did.

But that player, usually a player too small for the best "fit" got his ass steamrolled by a G. When it wasn't a DB getting his ass handed to him (Bryan Scott) it was our better "fit" LB, Barnett. Other times it was Byrd or Wilson coming up in run support.

Small against big usually loses.

If the D don't fit, your ass will get hit.

GO BILLS!!!

I was hoping he would talk about our DL trying to occupy multiple blockers - because if they don't, scott and barnett will not get off many blocks because of their size and we will see more of this type of attack. I don't know if the 9ers will try it, but I expect we will be seeing our nickel on the field a lot this year possibly coupled with some hurry up. We're going to have to show that we can defend the run out of the nickel which we haven't done yet this year.

Edit: I also wanted to add that the occupy blockers technique is different than the beat your man technique. Look at it like a 3-4 technique instead of the 4-3 technique. The concern for me is that if you have one guy win the one on one, he better make the tackle and that could be tough if the ball is not near him. Once the rb gets through the line and the lbs are blocked, they're almost guaranteed 10 yards.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

Is he serious, or is this just a smoke screen? To say that the players couldn't do what he expected of them is just silly. If the players can't do what you want, then CHANGE WHAT YOU WANT!

I also want to take this opportunity to repeat what I posted somewhere else: big, tired players will always have the advantage over small, tired players. Nickel and Dime packages in the fourth quarter? That looked like a "prevent" defense. And all a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning.

My interpretation of the link. The entire defensive unit failed in the 2nd half. Can't blame any single person (Mario) the unit as a whole failed.

The thing that got me was the comment about 14 missed tackles when they haven't missed 14 tackles all year. Ouch.

I interpret that as: "The players made their assignments and were in the proper position, but didnt play hard or mean enough to get off the block and make a play. They just didnt care like they did in the first half and the week before. I dont know why."

thats pretty much what i took away too.

the games not rocket science, we were in the right spots, but we didnt want it bad enough in the second half.

Is he serious, or is this just a smoke screen? To say that the players couldn't do what he expected of them is just silly. If the players can't do what you want, then CHANGE WHAT YOU WANT!

I also want to take this opportunity to repeat what I posted somewhere else: big, tired players will always have the advantage over small, tired players. Nickel and Dime packages in the fourth quarter? That looked like a "prevent" defense. And all a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning.

he didnt say they couldnt do it. he said they didnt want it.

two very different things. not sure which is more frustrating.

All I want -- seriously -- is for the Bills' defense to show some aggression, fire, and urgency. Who is the leader to step up and hold these players accountable? I don't want a "workmanlike" defense -- I want them to play like their jobs depend upon it.

Couldn't agree more.

Also stop with the excuses (my wrist is sore, the ingrown hair on my arse burns, my paper cut itches...). Just hit someone in the mouth, this is football and you play DEFENSE!

During the game, I noted our safeties and smallest linebackers trying to fill holes that were huge. The running backs were charging at our defenders without being touched or slowed, so the running backs had momentum and the opportunity to run through our guys. You can't put our smallest defensive players in that kind of situation play after play. It is a mismatch.

My interpretation of the link. The entire defensive unit failed in the 2nd half. Can't blame any single person (Mario) the unit as a whole failed.

The thing that got me was the comment about 14 missed tackles when they haven't missed 14 tackles all year. Ouch.

All I hear is wanny played the dime and is playing dumb or he is possibly clueless as him and his boy B Scott got steamrolled.

I was hoping he would talk about our DL trying to occupy multiple blockers - because if they don't, scott and barnett will not get off many blocks because of their size and we will see more of this type of attack. I don't know if the 9ers will try it, but I expect we will be seeing our nickel on the field a lot this year possibly coupled with some hurry up. We're going to have to show that we can defend the run out of the nickel which we haven't done yet this year.

Edit: I also wanted to add that the occupy blockers technique is different than the beat your man technique. Look at it like a 3-4 technique instead of the 4-3 technique. The concern for me is that if you have one guy win the one on one, he better make the tackle and that could be tough if the ball is not near him. Once the rb gets through the line and the lbs are blocked, they're almost guaranteed 10 yards.

Agreed. Occupying multiple blockers is the whole idea behind freeing up your backers to fill the hole and make the tackle. As old as football itself practically. In that sense our DTs did a pretty good job as one was always doubled from what I saw and the one that wasn't was easily trapped.

Need more beef in the middle in the nickel. The Scott experiment has failed.

GO BILLS!!!

What he said really isnt complicated if you understand defensive schemes....where the disconnect is it DIDNT WORK

Fitting a gap means that a particular player has an assignment for a particular gap.......now its not just that simple......offensive players are trying to BLOCK you from filling your gap....in which case you have to disengage and shed that blocker and still make the play in your gap.

When you have a smallish player is trying to fill a gap and is engaged by a player that is too big and powerful for them.....they are gonna either get stalemated or LOSE

That is why you dont run tweeners against big man formations meaning running tight ends.....you HAVE to run guys big enough and strong enough to hold the line of scrimmage.

I know that game all looked by one big beating....but the fact of the matter is we are in that game if we dont allow 2 100 yard rushers.....TWO HUNDRED YARD RUSHERS

I'll call BS on this. My son has played Football since he was 6 years old (now 17) and the most basic fundamental taught to 6 year olds on defense, is learning what gap to fill. These players have been filling gaps for 20+ years (no pun intended) and now we are supposed to believe that they still dont know? That comes down to coaching! To me, that's a cop out, basic, BS, vanilla, coach speak response.

During the game, I noted our safeties and smallest linebackers trying to fill holes that were huge. The running backs were charging at our defenders without being touched or slowed, so the running backs had momentum and the opportunity to run through our guys. You can't put our smallest defensive players in that kind of situation play after play. It is a mismatch.

What he said really isnt complicated if you understand defensive schemes....where the disconnect is it DIDNT WORK Fitting a gap means that a particular player has an assignment for a particular gap.......now its not just that simple......offensive players are trying to BLOCK you from filling your gap....in which case you have to disengage and shed that blocker and still make the play in your gap. When you have a smallish player is trying to fill a gap and is engaged by a player that is too big and powerful for them.....they are gonna either get stalemated or LOSE That is why you dont run tweeners against big man formations meaning running tight ends.....you HAVE to run guys big enough and strong enough to hold the line of scrimmage. I know that game all looked by one big beating....but the fact of the matter is we are in that game if we dont allow 2 100 yard rushers.....TWO HUNDRED YARD RUSHERS

Apparently Wanny is looking to place the blame elsewhere instead of conceding that which was obvious to most of us:

He chose to implement a small lineup to counter the Cheatriots*** jumbo 2-tight end lineup.

You know why there were so many missed/broken tackles? What happens when a safety is supposed to meet a much larger pulling tight end in the hole?

You get one guess.

Wanny had the chance to show a bit of fallibility and accountability… which might have had a positive effect on his players.

He chose not to take that opportunity. He basically blamed the players.

Yikes! Pretty scary. Basically said:

1. Guys just didn't play hard enough in biggest game of the year. "We just didn't play with a sense of urgency in the second half..."

2. Football is not that difficult. OK, so players either not good enough or implying not smart enough. "This game is not that difficult, whether it's a safety or a linebacker or a defensive lineman, there's only three gaps and everybody's got a gap"

3. He for some reason has no idea why: "Why, I don't know, with everything at stake."

Thanks Wanny. You just made us think we are in a worse situation then we thought, if that's at all possible. :bag:

Edited by Cville Bills

I'll call BS on this. My son has played Football since he was 6 years old (now 17) and the most basic fundamental taught to 6 year olds on defense, is learning what gap to fill. These players have been filling gaps for 20+ years (no pun intended) and now we are supposed to believe that they still dont know? That comes down to coaching! To me, that's a cop out, basic, BS, vanilla, coach speak response.

^^this^^

I copied this image from Bills.com. It shows the Niners' G and C driving the Jets' NT Kendrick Ellis five yards down the field and pancaking him. Ellis weighs 345 lbs. Can you imagine if that is Scott?

Say no to the nickel LB Wanny. Cause SF certainly will.

post-1661-0-32102700-1349476019_thumb.jpg

In a word: outcoached. Belichick decided to take advantage of them playing nickel with undersized players trying to stop the run and wrecked havoc play after play. He never adjusted to counter what Belichick was doing, choosing to make it easier for them by sticking with what was failing. You got one coach that countered while the other caught a nap.

He is about as smart as my p*nis

I once found one of his old (Dallas?) playbooks online. I was surprised by the grammar and spelling mistakes. It just didn't seem like the author - who I assume to be Wanny - was very bright. I'm not sure how important intellect is to a DC but I assume it's a big advantage to have discerning, analytical mind to dissect what your team may be doing wrong and the opponent may be doing right.

This. Unfocused players miss tackles. I truly believe Wannstedt needs to be on the field, instead of the box, and show some emotion on the field that will hopefully rub off on the players.(Which is sad, IMO)

This. Unfocused players miss tackles. I truly believe Wannstedt needs to be on the field, instead of the box, and show some emotion on the field that will hopefully rub off on the players.(Which is sad, IMO)

Dispirited players miss tackles. Players tend to become dispirited when they get physically dominated play after play. Makes them not as hellbent on getting to the hole. Nothing takes the spirit out of a player faster than getting his ass kicked in the running game. Passing games are pretty and all the rage but running games beat you up.

GO BILLS!!!

On one hand he's deflecting criticism away from himself but OTH his message to players is needed. They've been coddled too much with coaches taking the blame for everything. You're an NFL player getting paid a lot Of money to do a job. Man up and do something out there. We need some coaches who will get after them. Get away from chans "the scheme is the thing" mentality.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack