So What are the Weakest Links, post-draft

I am very happy with this draft, and think they have taken care of some key problems.

Now that the draft is over, what do you all feel are the weakest links on this team? I'm thinking Tight-End, Outside LB, Back-up QB, and still WR.

For a team that talked about how much they liked their O-line, they sure spent some picks on it. I am still concerned that they might not have really upgraded at WR.

I am very happy with this draft, and think they have taken care of some key problems.

Now that the draft is over, what do you all feel are the weakest links on this team? I'm thinking Tight-End, Outside LB, Back-up QB, and still WR.

For a team that talked about how much they liked their O-line, they sure spent some picks on it. I am still concerned that they might not have really upgraded at WR.

You forget that the Bills will also be active with UFDA's. This offseason has been a very good one.

You forget that the Bills will also be active with UFDA's. This offseason has been a very good one.

I didn't forget anything, I merely asked where posters feel the weakest links are.

I say thats about right. I would probably throw receiver in there as a questionmark still.

I can see that this thread is going to attract all the Fitz haters. I probably should have excluded starting QB...

2nd string QB, 3rd string QB. Those positions are both vacant for all practical purposes.

There were a lot of TEs that saw spot duty at the end of last season. I don't know if any are keepers.

I am not convinced that Tashard Choice and Johnny White can be relied on if Fred or CJ get hurt.

There are a lot of WRs on the roster. Quantity versus quality is a concern. Will Easley be any good? Nobody knows.

2nd string QB, 3rd string QB. Those positions are both vacant for all practical purposes.

There were a lot of TEs that saw spot duty at the end of last season. I don't know if any are keepers.

I am not convinced that Tashard Choice and Johnny White can be relied on if Fred or CJ get hurt.

There are a lot of WRs on the roster. Quantity versus quality is a concern. Will Easley be any good? Nobody knows.

I don't know if 3rd string QB is gonna make the list of big concerns, especially when you consider that a team that is down to the 3rd string QB is pretty much done for the season.

#2 WR. BY FAR. Everything else is trivial. Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be a veteran WR cap casualty. Otherwise, I would seriously consider a trade. Get Fitz his #2, and these Bills just may win the division for the first time since 1995.

If you are talking about position groups it has to be QB. Fitz is mediocre and Thigpen and Smith are awful. Wouldn't surprise me to see them sign Beck or see if Miami cuts Moore or Garrard. Matt Leinart is reported to be destined to go to Oakland but I would call his agent and take him over Thigpen and Smith.

The WR's are a huge question mark that will only be answered when we see Easley suit up for real game.

I'm surprised they didn't pick at TE yet... maybe last pick of 7th.

I'm good w/ WR... the Easley threads aside, Donald Jones is not ridiculous, very strong guy who still has upside. Nelson is pretty good. and between Graham, Clownley, Hagan, Aiken and Roosevelt pluse whatever UDFA they pick up there should be another 1-2 guys. We're not over the top, but we don't suck either.

Another Safety and real back-up Center would be nice...

I say thats about right. I would probably throw receiver in there as a questionmark still.

Agree, just because we have a lot of WRs doesn't mean they're good. In regard to QB, we face a "good problem". We're gonna be better next year which means we'll draft lower. How the hell are we gonna get our franchise QB? Maybe next year we trade up (we got depth this year via FA and the draft) so maybe we can afford to trade some picks away. As Buddy proved in the 3rd, he does trade up!!!

Wide receiver was and still is a huge need. We have a lot of decent guys, but nothing special outside of Steve Johnson.

I wouldn't mind grabbing a veteran QB or two to compete with Thigpen for the backup spot.

Pretty sure we still need a backup center, in case Wood goes down again.

People keep saying we need a tight end, but that's just not a big position in Gailey's offense. I think Chandler is a good fit for what we need.

And shockingly, that's about it.

I think we've got one starting position that isn't solid (imagine if we had gotten Meachem) and a couple places that could use some depth.

I'm surprised they didn't pick at TE yet... maybe last pick of 7th.

I'm good w/ WR... the Easley threads aside, Donald Jones is not ridiculous, very strong guy who still has upside. Nelson is pretty good. and between Graham, Clownley, Hagan, Aiken and Roosevelt pluse whatever UDFA they pick up there should be another 1-2 guys. We're not over the top, but we don't suck either.

Another Safety and real back-up Center would be nice...

I'm sure people will think "why mess with a good thing?", but I wouldn't have minded if they had drafted a Center that they thought could start, and move Wood back to guard/back up center, killing 2 birds with one stone.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Wide receiver was and still is a huge need. We have a lot of decent guys, but nothing special outside of Steve Johnson.

I wouldn't mind grabbing a veteran QB or two to compete with Thigpen for the backup spot.

Pretty sure we still need a backup center, in case Wood goes down again.

People keep saying we need a tight end, but that's just not a big position in Gailey's offense. I think Chandler is a good fit for what we need.

And shockingly, that's about it.

I think we've got one starting position that isn't solid (imagine if we had gotten Meachem) and a couple places that could use some depth.

I'm not really one of those that clamors for a TE, but Chandler seemed pretty important last season. I know what the Bills say, but if they had a top shelf TE, I'm sure they could find a use for him.

The Bills can still go after "the best of what's left" of veteran free agents.

Let me make the droll case for the obvious.

Owner

General Manager

Head Coach

Coaching Staff

Stadium

QB

WR

Lack of National respect

Lack of MNF @ The Ralph

Negative Local Media Coverage

Negative National Media Coverage

Other than that, we're SuperBow Champs in 2013, hands down.

I can see that this thread is going to attract all the Fitz haters. I probably should have excluded starting QB...

I don't hate Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I just see him for the limited 2nd-string QB that he is so I know that this team isn't going anywhere with him as QB.

QB is THE most important position on the team.

And our QB is THE weakest link on this team.

Once this is 100% obvious to everyone else on the team they'll all give up - what's the point?

Edited by PearlHowardman

I don't hate Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I just see him for the limited 2nd-string QB that he is so I know that this team isn't going anywhere with him as QB.

QB is THE most important position on the team.

And our QB is THE weakest link on this team.

Once this is 100% obvious to everyone else on the team they'll all give up - what's the point?

I disagree.

First string QB. second string QB, tight end, mlb

Just about right. I would add a legitimate WR to pair with Johnson. Fitz would be a great backup QB, but he's not a top notch starter. TE has always been a joke for the Bills.

Agree, just because we have a lot of WRs doesn't mean they're good. In regard to QB, we face a "good problem". We're gonna be better next year which means we'll draft lower. How the hell are we gonna get our franchise QB? Maybe next year we trade up (we got depth this year via FA and the draft) so maybe we can afford to trade some picks away. As Buddy proved in the 3rd, he does trade up!!!

I'm not going to play the Tom Brady card, because that isn't reasonable, but Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees send their draft greetings to Jamarcus Russell and Tim Couch.

This is one of the more ridiculous things that I've ever read here.

To the OP:

WR

Backup QB

Another TE (I hesitate to say BU, maybe one who can stretch the middle if needed)

Urbek and Reinhart both get to be URA's , I think, next year, and retention might be an issue...so so backfilling has been done in advance, I think. Same with Cb, where McKelvins contract is up after 2012. He will be a free agent, and despite the several opinions on this board, he will get a substantial contract somewhere in the league.

Let me make the droll case for the obvious.

Owner

General Manager

Head Coach

Coaching Staff

Stadium

QB

WR

Lack of National respect

Lack of MNF @ The Ralph

Negative Local Media Coverage

Negative National Media Coverage

Other than that, we're SuperBow Champs in 2013, hands down.

You must not be a fan who attends games. MNF is a bummer for the stadium goer..........have done that a number of times, and other than getting home at 3 am with frostbite, it was a ball. I still remember the night that KC was in for MNF, and the guy crawled out on the wire that holds up the net behind the goal posts. I thought we were seeing a suicide....but he crawled back to be arrested!

#2 WR although it's possible that Easley could be the guy. Graham is a possibility but I will believe it when i see it. I see him as one weapon out of 8 and probably the least threat.

Back-up QB is a mild need although I would bet anyone that Chan still has full confidence in Tyler Thigpen and that's all that matters.

Back-up TE. A need simply in case of injury.

Back-up MLB (we seriously cannot count on a smallish 5th round draft pick to be a reliable back-up at both weakside and middle LB even if his name is Tank. I'm not sure where they plan on playing Chris White, but he looked good in his short time last year and I think the team is high on him.

Back-up FS.

It's pretty incredible that our glaring needs have been reduced to this, IMO. Bring on the season.

We talked about this in the Shoutbox a bit while waiting for our new Kicker to get selected; I will repeat what I said up there.

We have lots of depth now in places that killed us last season. It may take this season and next off season for some of these players to come into their own. Glenn only started 16 games at LT, he may or may not beat out Hairston - in any event he should get better as the season progresses and will take a little time to develop. Sanders is an OT/OG and Asper could start quickly. We have A LOT of BEEF on the OL now. Gilmore will most likely start right away or be the Nickel. Brooks could be a steal in this draft. Graham I talk about below. Our LBs are solid. We got fast, good tacklers who can play zone coverage; that is just what our LBs do.

On paper as it stands right now we have 3 positions/players of concern:

1.) Sheppard - With our new D scheme we are playing to his strengths: Run-stopper, sure tackler, drives through the tackle, can go sideline - to sideline. His weaknesses of pass rushing and shedding OLmen will be minimized. In his role he won't be asked to rush the passer and OLmen will very rarely get to the second level. If Sheppard can't handle it, we will need to look for a replacement; I think he will look really good.

2.) #1/2WR - Hopefully Easely or Jones grow and step up this year. I placed it as #1/2 because there isn't much difference anymore. SJ is a starter and will be a starter. Gailey said he expects Graham to play the outside, the fact of the matter is he is a raw talent that needs some development and work. I don't see him being a "great" player this season. You can't teach speed and that is what he is. We still need the WR who is open even when he is covered, one who is an excellent run blocker, can run all the routes, out jump defenders and catch Fitz's (occasional) errant passes.

3.) QB - Fitz is what he is, an average QB who makes up for some of his physical deficiencies with his above average mental capacity. With his smarts, he knows how to check down, make the correct calls at the line, place his teammates in a position to make a play, etc. His biggest issue is his accuracy. I like Fitz he is a good player, he is what he is. With a OL that gives him time to throw, he should be less rushed to make a play. The OL will also help the run game tremendously and that will further take pressure off of Fitz. Again this is not a knock on Fitz and I don't hate or dislike him...

When it comes to franchise QBs and QBs who will be better than Fitz, you have to grab them in the 1st round (Brees & Brady are exceptions. Where we end up next season (playoff team) we should be in a position to grab a mid-first round QB; generally you have until around pick 20 or 25 at the latest to grab your QB. We need a backup and it is pointless to take a developmental QB. Philly does it year in and year out. They draft a guy in the 2-5th round, invest 3-4 years in him and trade him for 2nd rounders. It isn't worth it, you miss out on players like Kyle Williams and others who can get you over the hump (which Philly never is able to do). Get a QB who can be better than Fitz and let him sit like Aaron Rodgers did. It allows our team to still be competitive while upgrading an impact position. This team is being built to be good for a good number of years, draft Fitz's replacement and when he is ready shake Fitz's hand and move on. The team won't miss a beat. If Fitz plays lights out, you may be able to punt drafting a QB until the 2014 draft and go get the big WR in 2013.

With the players we drafted this season, we did fill holes, create depth and position ourselves to make some moves next draft. Livitre, Reinhart and Urbik will all be up next year - I doubt all 3 get resigned; we got depth and replacements this year. next year we will have to grab 1 or 2 prospects to develop for depth, not 1st or 2nd rounders. McK will be gone, McGee or Florence might very well be gone as well, we drafted replacements the last 2 drafts, again only need depth. We are set up to make a play on a QB next season and still grab depth to fill holes of FA/released departures.

We talked about this in the Shoutbox a bit while waiting for our new Kicker to get selected; I will repeat what I said up there.

We have lots of depth now in places that killed us last season. It may take this season and next off season for some of these players to come into their own. Glenn only started 16 games at LT, he may or may not beat out Hairston - in any event he should get better as the season progresses and will take a little time to develop. Sanders is an OT/OG and Asper could start quickly. We have A LOT of BEEF on the OL now. Gilmore will most likely start right away or be the Nickel. Brooks could be a steal in this draft. Graham I talk about below. Our LBs are solid. We got fast, good tacklers who can play zone coverage; that is just what our LBs do.

1.) Sheppard - With our new D scheme we are playing to his strengths: Run-stopper, sure tackler, drives through the tackle, can go sideline - to sideline. His weaknesses of pass rushing and shedding OLmen will be minimized. In his role he won't be asked to rush the passer and OLmen will very rarely get to the second level. If Sheppard can't handle it, we will need to look for a replacement; I think he will look really good.

2.) #1/2WR - Hopefully Easely or Jones grow and step up this year. I placed it as #1/2 because there isn't much difference anymore. SJ is a starter and will be a starter. Gailey said he expects Graham to play the outside, the fact of the matter is he is a raw talent that needs some development and work. I don't see him being a "great" player this season. You can't teach speed and that is what he is. We still need the WR who is open even when he is covered, one who is an excellent run blocker, can run all the routes, out jump defenders and catch Fitz's (occasional) errant passes.

3.) QB - Fitz is what he is, an average QB who makes up for some of his physical deficiencies with his above average mental capacity. With his smarts, he knows how to check down, make the correct calls at the line, place his teammates in a position to make a play, etc. His biggest issue is his accuracy. I like Fitz he is a good player, he is what he is. With a OL that gives him time to throw, he should be less rushed to make a play. The OL will also help the run game tremendously and that will further take pressure off of Fitz. Again this is not a knock on Fitz and I don't hate or dislike him...

When it comes to franchise QBs and QBs who will be better than Fitz, you have to grab them in the 1st round (Brees & Brady are exceptions. Where we end up next season (playoff team) we should be in a position to grab a mid-first round QB; generally you have until around pick 20 or 25 at the latest to grab your QB. We need a backup and it is pointless to take a developmental QB. Philly does it year in and year out. They draft a guy in the 2-5th round, invest 3-4 years in him and trade him for 2nd rounders. It isn't worth it, you miss out on players like Kyle Williams and others who can get you over the hump (which Philly never is able to do). Get a QB who can be better than Fitz and let him sit like Aaron Rodgers did. It allows our team to still be competitive while upgrading an impact position. This team is being built to be good for a good number of years, draft Fitz's replacement and when he is ready shake Fitz's hand and move on. The team won't miss a beat. If Fitz plays lights out, you may be able to punt drafting a QB until the 2014 draft and go get the big WR in 2013.

With the players we drafted this season, we did fill holes, create depth and position ourselves to make some moves next draft. Livitre, Reinhart and Urbik will all be up next year - I doubt all 3 get resigned; we got depth and replacements this year. next year we will have to grab 1 or 2 prospects to develop for depth, not 1st or 2nd rounders. McK will be gone, McGee or Florence might very well be gone as well, we drafted replacements the last 2 drafts, again only need depth. We are set up to make a play on a QB next season and still grab depth to fill holes of FA/released departures.

Pretty nice summary, thanks for the good read. Can't say I disagree with any of it.

Id like to see them go after a veteran speed receiver when teams start thinninug out their rosters.....

Not a UDFA.....a guy who has put up the numbers in the past....might be carrying a heavy price tag with a team that got younger at the spot....and cut him.

I like our WR's.....especially Hagan.....but we could use one more....that pushes the Donald Jones, Roosevelt, Ruvell's off the roster

I would like us all to pause for a minute and consider this:

This team has no glaring holes. Some question marks sure but every team has those. This is such a different year where our picks are depth and allowed to learn before being relied on to contribute substantially. After the draft our secondary, linebackers, offensive lines, and special teams are much improved. Add in free agency where our defensive line was greatly improved and were looking at a bright future. This team is leaps and bounds better than the one that started 5-2. It's also light years ahead of the team that finished 6-10 with our healthy guys returning.

All in all best offseason for the bills in a while. Some areas could be improved like backup te, wr, and qb but that's the thing that has me excited were talking about backups!

Last thing I'll add is this: it's fitz's year to sh*t or get off the pot. With our limited needs next year the fo may go all in for a qb of the future type. We will see how the season plays out but that's my 2 cents.

We are still short on depth at TE and QB.

HAve to agree here. But there is still time to pick up UDFAs and there may be a veteran FA out there who would be a good fit for the Bills.

We should be significantly better this year, and hopefully this is the year the playoff drought is broken. Go Bills!

linebacker and qb

good job--enjoyed it...lemme add i pray one our LBer picks surprises us and becomes a solid starter.that would be huge.

I'm sure people will think "why mess with a good thing?", but I wouldn't have minded if they had drafted a Center that they thought could start, and move Wood back to guard/back up center, killing 2 birds with one stone.

Wood's natural position is CENTER and he was outstanding there protecting and giving a pocket for Fitz. Once Wood was injured Fitz game went south. Wood at Guard experiment should not be repeated. Urbik is good at RG and this team did a good job of gelling together before the rash of injuries. Levitre/Wood/Urbik is one big interior line.

linebacker and qb

good job--enjoyed it...lemme add i pray one our LBer picks surprises us and becomes a solid starter.that would be huge.

Thanks

I think Nigel Bradham is the one who could start at some point. Personally I am high on Ron Brooks.

Wood's natural position is CENTER and he was outstanding there protecting and giving a pocket for Fitz. Once Wood was injured Fitz game went south. Wood at Guard experiment should not be repeated. Urbik is good at RG and this team did a good job of gelling together before the rash of injuries. Levitre/Wood/Urbik is one big interior line.

^^^ This. Wood had 2 freak injuries. He is a CENTER and should stay a center. if he gets dinged up bad again this year; I might look to draft a competent back up at that point.