Robert Meachem visits Bills, signs with SD

mrags

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like our receivers anyway. Spend the money on OL depth, protect our QB so he can have an extra second or two this year and we'll be fine on offense

Lol, you like one decent wr and terrible wr's after? We have no #2.

Mario used this meeting to jack the new team for an extra 15 million in the deal. he has no intention of signing in Buffalo. The WR just plain abused the Bills. I'd drop him at the airport and let him wait till the Chargers pick him up tomorrow. I would throw him out of the hotel, and make him pay for his scrimps.

What the f***?!?

Did he sign the SD contract while in Buffalo?

This is the first time I've ever heard of a player doing this: going to one city and signing at another he hasn't even seen while still in the first city. Amazing.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I like our receivers anyway. Spend the money on OL depth, protect our QB so he can have an extra second or two this year and we'll be fine on offense

I love Derek Hagan, David Nelson, Donald Jones, David Clowney, Naaman Roosevelt, Kamar Aiken, Marcus Easley and Brad Smith too. How many career catches do those guys have?

Me too. It really pisses me off.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a player doing this: going to one city and signing at another he hasn't even seen while still in the first city. Amazing.

PTR

IMO, the Bills made Meachem a very good offer and he was ready to sign. The Chargers called his agent sometime in the evening and offered him a lot of money (more than I thought he would get) as well as the #1 WR job now that Jackson is gone. They have a good QB and a great TE. This would be a no brainer for Meachem. The Chargers overpaid for him but they needed a guy. I don't blame Meachem one bit, and he likely thought he was going to sign with the Bills himself.

I love Derek Hagan, David Nelson, Donald Jones, David Clowney, Naaman Roosevelt, Kamar Aiken, Marcus Easley and Brad Smith too. How many career catches do those guys have?

David Nelson 2011 - 61 rec. 658 yds. 5 td's

Robert Meachem 2011 - 40 rec. 620 yds. 6 td's

Wow that really puts things into perspective. I figured SD paid a bit much to make up for Jackson leaving, but now I'm really glad we didn't pay this guy that much money.

If averaging 10.4 yards per catch is good enough, why did Buffalo pursue Meachem? Check how many games Nelson was completely a non-factor, like for example the second half of the first NE game.

Meachem may not be a game changer, but he averaged almost 5 yards more per reception and stretches defenses. Nelson on a good day is a #3 receiver.

If averaging 10.4 yards per catch is good enough, why did Buffalo pursue Meachem? Check how many games Nelson was completely a non-factor, like for example the second half of the first NE game.

Meachem may not be a game changer, but he averaged almost 5 yards more per reception and stretches defenses. Nelson on a good day is a #3 receiver.

Perhaps, but I think you'e overlooking how long Meachem has been in the league, the offense he's played in, and his draft position compared to Nelson...

At the very least, Shouldn't Nelson be given the same amount of time to improve his stats?

David Nelson seems like a stand up guy.

Robert Meachem . . . not so much.

Perhaps, but I think you'e overlooking how long Meachem has been in the league, the offense he's played in, and his draft position compared to Nelson...

At the very least, Shouldn't Nelson be given the same amount of time to improve his stats?

David Nelson and Robert Meachem are about as different as you can get at the WR position while playing on completely different offenses. Apples to oranges.

PTR

That about sums it up. Making history for all the wrong reasons. Such is life as a Bills fan.

LMAO. You can't even make this kind of stuff up. I never wanted Meachem in the first place, but I would have been happy because he's an upgrade over Jones. I would have paid Garcon what he wanted myself to pair with Stevie for the next five years.

However, what a fuggin dick. Unless, he told the Bills tonight that SD offered more and he and the Bills parted ways amicably, he's a flat out dickhead, and I wish him nothing but ill will in the future.

My god, this organization keeps getting kicked in the dikk. And AJ Smith to boot. Jesus.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41156/chargers-try-to-rebound-with-meachem-signing

In addition to Buffalo, the Chargers blew away two other teams with a huge offer for Meachem.

It's nice that they recognize the magnitude the Chargers offered Meachem. He must have been giddy.

I agree with Barry...this whole free agency hinges on Mario...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41156/chargers-try-to-rebound-with-meachem-signing

It's nice that they recognize the magnitude the Chargers offered Meachem. He must have been giddy.

I agree with Barry...this whole free agency hinges on Mario...

This was Meachem's pay day and chance to be a #1 WR. He wasn't going to be that here and he probably wasn't getting an offer like the Chargers. The goal is still Mario Williams and if he signs tomorrow people won't care about Meachem.

of course this raises the spectre that is in the back of our minds.

Are people still using us, after all these years, as the team that negotiates their "real" contract with the other team that they really want to be with?

I mean, did he even visit San Diego? I know he came to buffalo. So we can wine and dine, and the other team just faxes over a $$ number, and he goes instantly with the other team? What's that?

I think we all know what that is.

Edited by maddenboy

Whoa. A lot of people taking this one way too personally. It's robert meachem, guys, nothing to get excited about. So he decided to go to SoCal with a much better QB than we have here. I dont really blame him. He's a borderline 2 WR anyways. Give me a blindfold and a dartboard and i'll find u a rookie meachem in the 4th round of the draft this year.

I am not taking this personally. I just want him to f**k himself.

Whoa. A lot of people taking this one way too personally. It's robert meachem, guys, nothing to get excited about. So he decided to go to SoCal with a much better QB than we have here. I dont really blame him. He's a borderline 2 WR anyways. Give me a blindfold and a dartboard and i'll find u a rookie meachem in the 4th round of the draft this year.

Edited by Peter

According to ESPN the SD offer was a magnitude above what ANYONE else was offering, including us. I don't even think the Bills care too much, or really even blame Meacham, given the price SD was willing to pay. Plus, my timeline may be off, but I think the news that Jackson signed with TB broke after Meacham was on his way here. It's likely SD called up and flat out said "blank check if you come here." Why is that an indictment of the Bills? We have a plan and acceptable salary ranges. Breaking the bank over Meacham would have made no sense. Breaking it over Williams does, imo.

According to ESPN the SD offer was a magnitude above what ANYONE else was offering, including us. I don't even think the Bills care too much, or really even blame Meacham, given the price SD was willing to pay. Plus, my timeline may be off, but I think the news that Jackson signed with TB broke after Meacham was on his way here. It's likely SD called up and flat out said "blank check if you come here." Why is that an indictment of the Bills? We have a plan and acceptable salary ranges. Breaking the bank over Meacham would have made no sense. Breaking it over Williams does, imo.

This is what I tried to point out above - I think SD blew every other out of the water. They were desperate.

I am not taking this personally. I just want him to f**k himself.

Your second sentence is contradicting your first. Seriously, you dont even know the guy. SD offered way more money than anyone else. Yet Meachem should go f**k himself.

Edited by Beerball
Inappropriate comment

1331708024[/url]' post='2404895']

I understand this and agree. It just makes me more nervous that another team will do this to Mario and sweep him outta here.

GET THE INK ON THE PAPER NOW!!

As I said in another thread, San Diego overpaid for a player who put up D. Nelson type numbers in the most prolific pass offense ever. Can't blame the Bills for not trying to match or for Meachem takin the deal.

M. Williams situation is different because its doubtful anyone will come over the top and offer more money than the Bills currently are.

I thought meachem would have been a good addition, we still need a solid WR-2. I know he is not all that but would have liked his skill set for us. Do you think bills will make a run at mario manningham if they get the deal done soon with super mario?

As I said in another thread, San Diego overpaid for a player who put up D. Nelson type numbers in the most prolific pass offense ever. Can't blame the Bills for not trying to match or for Meachem takin the deal.

M. Williams situation is different because its doubtful anyone will come over the top and offer more money than the Bills currently are.

Spot on.

Doesn't mean we get Williams - but it doesn't mean we don't either.

Hang in there Bills fans! :)

Well I've gotten confirmation on two rumors I'd heard through the years. The reasons he was always low on the saints depth chart was in fact tied to

1)it took him a looooooong time to digest the offense. I'm talking 2 full seasons to be able to be 100% up to speed on the playbook

2) Coaches (and drew) hated his tendency to catch with his body, not hands. Probably not a great thing for an erratic arm like fitzs.

At those dollars I'm ok passing (though I'm not surprised at the total money - had been saying 6+ and as deals came out today ventured that would be too low)