Rams, Redskins make a deal for the #2 pick

Manning deal was a swap of 1st overall for 4th overall. The Giants kicked in their 1st the next year and a third that year. Which was a high cost but a fair one if you think he is the guy. This trade was stacked for the Rams 2 extra firsts and a extra pick (Possibly a second) is a steep cost.

Jamarcus was a headcase with a big arm

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take notes, OBD. -This is what franchises that are serious about winning do. This will probably go down as the "All In" move of the decade. BIG things will be expected from Griffin (or Luck) in a relatively short period of time. With the right pieces in place, whichever kid is picked at two should be fine.

Edited by #34fan

I admire their balls to get it done. Wish we had some.

I agree but the Redskins pull the deal too soon they could have made the Rams lower their demands With Peyton Manning & Matt Flynn available they could have used that & with Jason Campbell more than likely gone from Oakland it would have gave Cleveland an advantage as well, I'd played chicken a little longer I'd make the Rams, lower their demands, Pick RG3 or past on him but its still a gutsy move just too soon IMO

http://profootballta...-for-no-2-pick/

Glazer says that the teams will swap first-round picks in 2012, with St. Louis taking the No. 6 pick. The Rams also get two future first-round picks and additional selections, one of which is believed to be a second-rounder.

(2) #1's

(1) #2

and at least another pick. Damn!

Readskins better pray this works out, if not they will replace us as the team with the longest playoff drought.

Take notes, OBD. -This is what franchises that are serious about winning do. This will probably go down as the "All In" move of the decade. BIG things will be expected from Griffin (or Luck) in a relatively short period of time. With the right pieces in place, whichever kid is picked at two should be fine.

We need to copy the Redskins as "serious about winning?"

Anyone care to wager which team is farther ahead 5 years down the road? The Rams will be making playoff appearances and Washington will be chasing the next big name FA.

The Redskins have turned into Raiders east.

There is guarantee that the picks the Rams get will work out, in 1991 & 92 the Falcons had 2 No#1 picks those 2 picks turn out to be Mike Pritchard 1991, 1992 Tony Smith both where bust

If he puts up Cam Newtons numbers as a rookie will he be worth it?

If the numbers turn in to a playoff berth..

TOTALLY WORTH IT !!!.....good move washington

they only gave up unproven draft picks.....they still have that salary cap space to spend on proven free agents.

For an unproven player.

That's a huge number of picks for one guy. I don't care who you are, that's crazy. You essentially screw yourself for years because your top level rookie talent is gone for years, and you don't have anyone to develop. They you must rely on operpaying in FA. the redskins have proven they suck at FA. Look at how far back the Bledsoe trade and the Mike Williams pick put us.

Glazer says that the teams will swap first-round picks in 2012, with St. Louis taking the No. 6 pick. The Rams also get two future first-round picks and additional selections, one of which is believed to be a second-rounder.

(2) #1's

(1) #2

And the team that was in the SB a few years ago and has Fitzgerald at WR is not a good option? Think, man. Think!

Think, man. Think of who is left over from the SB run for the Cardinals. Fitzgerald...and...if you can't name anyone else don't feel bad neither can I. Namely Hightower and Boldin are gone. I don't think Manning is hyped fro Arizona but dear god don't let him go the Dolphins.

Yikes, just look at the QB talent in the NFC...Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, RGIII

One thing that's good for the Bills is that the road to the Superbowl is much easier than in the NFC.

I think that the Redskins just made themselves relevant in this league again and they won't regret this deal for one second.

If RGIII is a true top "Franchise QB" then it may be worth it to the Skins. They haven't had a real franchise type QB since Joe Theisman. We're going back 25 years with them. For our situation, that would have been a horrible trade. We need too much to be giving up that many picks for any one player. They obviously feel that they can get Griffin this year and do whatever in FA to put them over the hump. They better get some OL, WR, and secondary help in FA though. If not the Rams could be picking high, regardless of their own record, over the next two seasons.

Edited by H2o

Great, great deal for the Rams, and <perhaps> a reasonable deal for the Skins if RGIII becomes an All-Pro. It's funny to me how folks are praising Snyder for having the "balls" to make the deal. The guy has always played fantasy football with his roster and undervalued the importance of draft picks. This smacks of desperation. Shanny -- who really hasn't been successful in quite a while now -- is clearly getting frustrated being in a division with the Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles.

The Rams are laughing all the way to the bank. That's going to be a nice little franchise in a couple of years.

Not surprising to see the "instant gratification" crowd of Bills fans complaining about Nix not making this move. Dog forbid we continue on a plan that appears to be working (that's the last two years, not the last twelve).

I admire their balls to get it done. Wish we had some.

lol, you kidding me?

im sorry, but no way no how does this look like the quarterback thats going to lead the bills to the promise land a handful of times for the next decade.

bu bu bu but hes the next cam newton! (career 6-10 record, 0 playoff wins)

bu bu bu but hes the next micheal vick! (2 career playoff wins, 1 year in prison)

bu but but, hes the next vince young! (0-1 in the playoffs, 0-1 in suicide attempts)

but but... YOURE RACIST!

look, enough of these "non-prototypical-are-they-going-to-run-or-pass?" quarterbacks. IT. DOESN'T. WORK.

lets go back in time and confirm that?

Superbowls

2012: Eli Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Tom Brady (Pocket Passer)

2011: Ben Rothlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Aaron Rodgers (Pocket Passer)

2010: Drew Brees (Pocket Passer) v. Peyton Manning (Pocket Passer)

2009: Ben Rothlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Kurt Warner (Pocket Passer)

2008: Eli Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Tom Brady (Pocket Passer)

2007: Peyton Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Rex Grosman (Pocket Passer)

2006: Ben Rotlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Matt Hasselbeck (Pocket Passer)

2005: Tom Brady (Pocket Passer) v. Donovan Mcnabb (Maybe... MAYBE.. a mobile qb? Rushed for 0 yards in the Super bowl)

2004: Tom Brady (Pocket Passer) v. Jake Delhomme (Pocket Passer)

2003: Brad Johnson (Pocket Passer) v. Rich Gannon (Pocket Passer)

Additionally - it is RIDICULOUS that im reading on this board, of all boards, that cam newton has good numbers.

cam newton??

CAM NEWTON???

they finished 6-10!

fitz is a terrible quarterback because we finished 6-10.

cam is a great quarterback, even though he finished 6-10.

we should change the name of this board to thegrassisalwaysgreener.com

people in here saying things like "now THATS how you run a franchise" in speaking about the redskins???????

i feel like i woke up in bizarro world.

Edited by JohnnyGold

lol, you kidding me?

im sorry, but no way no how does this look like the quarterback thats going to lead the bills to the promise land a handful of times for the next decade.

bu bu bu but hes the next cam newton! (career 6-10 record, 0 playoff wins)

bu bu bu but hes the next micheal vick! (2 career playoff wins, 1 year in prison)

bu but but, hes the next vince young! (0-1 in the playoffs, 0-1 in suicide attempts)

but but... YOURE RACIST!

look, enough of these "non-prototypical-are-they-going-to-run-or-pass?" quarterbacks. IT. DOESN'T. WORK.

lets go back in time and confirm that?

Superbowls

2012: Eli Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Tom Brady (Pocket Passer)

2011: Ben Rothlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Aaron Rodgers (Pocket Passer)

2010: Drew Brees (Pocket Passer) v. Peyton Manning (Pocket Passer)

2009: Ben Rothlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Kurt Warner (Pocket Passer)

2008: Eli Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Tom Brady (Pocket Passer)

2007: Peyton Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Rex Grosman (Pocket Passer)

2006: Ben Rotlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Matt Hasselbeck (Pocket Passer)

2005: Tom Brady (Pocket Passer) v. Donovan Mcnabb (Maybe... MAYBE.. a mobile qb? Rushed for 0 yards in the Super bowl)

2004: Tom Brady (Pocket Passer) v. Jake Delhomme (Pocket Passer)

2003: Brad Johnson (Pocket Passer) v. Rich Gannon (Pocket Passer)

3,998 passing yds 72.4% completion percentage 36 TDs 6 int but he's a running qb because he's black? pretty much the definition of Racist

(2) #1's

(1) #2

I guess that answers the Q of whether the Redskins will woo Manning

I agree but the Redskins pull the deal too soon they could have made the Rams lower their demands With Peyton Manning & Matt Flynn available they could have used that & with Jason Campbell more than likely gone from Oakland it would have gave Cleveland an advantage as well, I'd played chicken a little longer I'd make the Rams, lower their demands, Pick RG3 or past on him but its still a gutsy move just too soon IMO

The Skins didn't want to pay for an ancient, brittle Manning, nor an expensive backup in Flynn. Their best bet is RG3, they figure. If they waited, Flynn and Manning wopuld come off the market, the price of the #2 pick would have gone up. The price they paid was with Manning and Flynn still available and diluting the QB market.

What happened to that OC in Cincy guy who said no one trades up in the draft?

so in order to move up they swap number 1's this year.

the premium paid to move up is an additional two #1's and a #2.

if this was for Andrew Luck...i would do it in a heartbeat. i've watched alot of his full games.

i have not watched RG III games....just highlights. but "IF" he is as good....and obviously the Redskins think so.....you make this move for a "franchise" QB.

or look at it another way....would you rather have Mark Sanchez at $13 mil/yr, Matt Flynn at $9 mil/yr or RG III at $6 mil/yr ??

as far as Wash gutting their future by giving up those draft picks.....all they did was free up salary cap space for proven free agents.

Anyone care to wager which team is farther ahead 5 years down the road? The Rams will be making playoff appearances and Washington will be chasing the next big name FA.

This is my opinion.

RGIII may end up amazing, but an amazing QB on a ****ty team isn't going to be all that great. The Rams now have two first round picks for the next 2-3 years (depending on the report), and they'll likely be pretty high picks for a year or two. They'll be picking up solid young talent if they draft right pretty damned quickly.

I can't believe the posters that actually would want Buddy to give up more than the Redskins did to move up to #2. We need those #1s.

I agree with this.

It would be nice to get an awesome prospect, but at what cost? Football is a team game, we have various needs *now*, a QB isn't high on the list. No one seems to remember that our offense was doing pretty good before injuries set in...

so in order to move up they swap number 1's this year.

the premium paid to move up is an additional two #1's and a #2.

if this was for Andrew Luck...i would do it in a heartbeat. i've watched alot of his full games.

i have not watched RG III games....just highlights. but "IF" he is as good....and obviously the Redskins think so.....you make this move for a "franchise" QB.

or look at it another way....would you rather have Mark Sanchez at $13 mil/yr, Matt Flynn at $9 mil/yr or RG III at $6 mil/yr ??

as far as Wash gutting their future by giving up those draft picks.....all they did was free up salary cap space for proven free agents.

This- now they can go into free agency and grab a couple of WRs

This is my opinion.

RGIII may end up amazing, but an amazing QB on a ****ty team isn't going to be all that great.

Exactly. Look at...the Rams (although the jury is still out on whether 1st overall pick Bradford is "amazing").

This- now they can go into free agency and grab a couple of WRs

People knee jerk trades with first rounders but really....

3 firsts and a second you figure you'd realistically net

1 top tier player

1 solid starter

1 contributor

1 bust

over the course of 3 years

Now they hopefully have 1 top tier qb and can sign that starter and contributor, come out even on cash and not break the bank on the qb

If he hits, it's a great trade still. If he busts it's hardly gutting the franchise. The issue with trade ups was the cash and financial obligation to that qb if he busted, the picks were not nearly the issue. Hence you used to see big trades more often before salaries went nuts for rookies

If he puts up Cam Newtons numbers as a rookie will he be worth it?

I would say yes, but not if he does any worse. Cam is far and away going to be the greatest QB moving forward anyway so it's moot. It's Cam's league we just haven't realized it yet.

I dont care if Griffin is the second coming of Christ they waaaay overpayed for this pick. Now instead of having first round picks to fill inevitable needs with top tier talent they will have to sign overpriced free agents. Oh wait they have done that before...how did that work for you little Danny Snider?...glad we are doing it the way Nix is . I know our patience is thin for 12 yrs of bumbling ineptitude but I can honestly say the Bills are moving in the right direction.

I dont care if Griffin is the second coming of Christ they waaaay overpayed for this pick. Now instead of having first round picks to fill inevitable needs with top tier talent they will have to sign overpriced free agents. Oh wait they have done that before...how did that work for you little Danny Snider?...glad we are doing it the way Nix is . I know our patience is thin for 12 yrs of bumbling ineptitude but I can honestly say the Bills are moving in the right direction.

So they might have 1-2 extra holes to fill?

As far as the (assumed) RGIII trade goes, doing this deal makes more sense for some teams than others.

While I commend the Redskins for their aggressiveness, I am skeptical that they will be able to quickly and effectively build around RGIII.

It might take more than the standard 3 years.

Shanahan has not proven to be a franchise builder although Bruce Allen is the GM so there is some hope that they'll make all the right moves.

But the Redskins roster IMO still has many holes. Filling those holes via free agency will quickly deplete cap space.

If a team like the Seahawks had made this trade, it would be very different because one can argue that the Seahawks have everything except a quarterback.

So they might have 1-2 extra holes to fill?

The Redskins? They have a lot more than 1-2 holes to fill. This will be the third "reboot" by Snyder. Starting in one direction for a year or two, then hitting the "reboot" button when they don't win. The most consistently successful teams are the ones that have the most continuity and stability.

Snyder changes front office staff and coaches like some people change shoes.

Go back and read the pre-draft hype about Jamarcus Russell. He was going to save the Raiders. I'm not saying RGIII is Russell, but three first rounders is too much for an unproven player.

Snyder thinks football is like "Madden". Just plug in some names, make a dream team and pop the chamagne. Doesn't work that way in real football, see the 2011 Eagles.

Look back at all the QBs you mentioned and show me where the consensus from everyone was they would succeed in the NFL. Now look this season and show me anyone who does not think this kid is the real deal. By anyone, I mean qualified, respected opinions.

Funny. I seem to recall folks drooling over every one of these turds. Capt. Hindsight is right when he says once-in-a-lifetime QBs come along every year. Last year it was Cam. This year we have TWO with Luck and Griffin.

BTW how funny would it be if the Colts took RGIII?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Redskins? They have a lot more than 1-2 holes to fill. This will be the third "reboot" by Snyder. Starting in one direction for a year or two, then hitting the "reboot" button when they don't win. The most consistently successful teams are the ones that have the most continuity and stability.

Snyder changes front office staff and coaches like some people change shoes.

Go back and read the pre-draft hype about Jamarcus Russell. He was going to save the Raiders. I'm not saying RGIII is Russell, but three first rounders is too much for an unproven player.

Snyder thinks football is like "Madden". Just plug in some names, make a dream team and pop the chamagne. Doesn't work that way in real football, see the 2011 Eagles.

while all this is true.....and shanahan left denver with $29 mil of dead money.....Snyder has let shanahan do his thing to where Wash is currently almost $40 million under the cap (the bills are about $18 mil under). now they don't have to set aside $5-6 mil/yr for next two years #1 pick.....and can use that money to sign a proven veteran. a "franchise" QB is worth that price......all thats left to argue is wether RG III will turn into one.

Funny. I seem to recall folks drooling over every one of these turds. Capt. Hindsight is right when he says once-in-a-lifetime QBs come along every year. Last year it was Cam. This year we have TWO with Luck and Griffin.

BTW how funny would it be if the Colts took RGIII?

PTR

it's a slow day....someone should start a thread on that.....laffin

Funny. I seem to recall folks drooling over every one of these turds. Capt. Hindsight is right when he says once-in-a-lifetime QBs come along every year.

Crazy that people don't remember these moments. The only year o remember people/scouts/gms drooling over the top qb was the year Matt Ryan came out. Other than that, every year someone gets labled as a once in a lifetime qb.

while all this is true.....and shanahan left denver with $29 mil of dead money.....Snyder has let shanahan do his thing to where Wash is currently almost $40 million under the cap (the bills are about $18 mil under). now they don't have to set aside $5-6 mil/yr for next two years #1 pick.....and can use that money to sign a proven veteran. a "franchise" QB is worth that price......all thats left to argue is whether RG III will turn into one.

You make excellent points but the other thing to argue is whether they will be able to build a roster via free agency.

As the point has been made several times now, the Redskins roster resembles a block of Lorraine Swiss.

The path the Redskins have chosen has at least two pitfalls… both mentioned in this post.

Perhaps some of our DC guys can shed light on the state of the Redskins roster but my impression was that they have a long way to go with many holes to fill.

I'm not saying it's a bad trade for them but I am saying that the trade ensures nothing… even if RGIII becomes an excellent QB.

This is my opinion.

RGIII may end up amazing, but an amazing QB on a ****ty team isn't going to be all that great. The Rams now have two first round picks for the next 2-3 years (depending on the report), and they'll likely be pretty high picks for a year or two. They'll be picking up solid young talent if they draft right pretty damned quickly.

I agree with this.

It would be nice to get an awesome prospect, but at what cost? Football is a team game, we have various needs *now*, a QB isn't high on the list. No one seems to remember that our offense was doing pretty good before injuries set in...

You don't seem to remember that our "pretty good" offense before injuries featured exactly zero 1st rounders at skill positions. The only one was at...center.

Talent is in every round nowadays.

You make excellent points but the other thing to argue is whether they will be able to build a roster via free agency.

As the point has been made several times now, the Redskins roster resembles a block of Lorraine Swiss.

The path the Redskins have chosen has at least two pitfalls… both mentioned in this post.

Perhaps some of our DC guys can shed light on the state of the Redskins roster but my impression was that they have a long way to go with many holes to fill.

I'm not saying it's a bad trade for them but I am saying that the trade ensures nothing… even if RGIII becomes an excellent QB.

to me, RG III is the next Michael Vick.....without the baggage. He will be one of the most entertaining and exciting players in the game. Tremendous speed, he can engineer big plays with both his arm and his legs. he will put fanny's in the seats....i really applaud washington for being bold. the record setting price they paid ensures this will be looked at for years to come judging which franchise made out best.

I would never make a deal like this. There are 11 guys on team and you need all of them. Making a mega deal for one player rarely works out. The Skins lead the NFL in off-season Super Bowls.

PTR

This type of criticism is being leveled by sone, but there is no logic to it. None of the "11 guys" is being sacrificed. They have bargained for a top prospect at the absolutely most cteirical position in professional sports. They still have all of their other picks every year.

So true. This makes the Carson Palmer trade seem almost decent, and that was the worst trade in years. Rams fans should be dancing in the streets.