Rams, Redskins make a deal for the #2 pick

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You make excellent points but the other thing to argue is whether they will be able to build a roster via free agency.

As the point has been made several times now, the Redskins roster resembles a block of Lorraine Swiss.

The path the Redskins have chosen has at least two pitfalls… both mentioned in this post.

Perhaps some of our DC guys can shed light on the state of the Redskins roster but my impression was that they have a long way to go with many holes to fill.

I'm not saying it's a bad trade for them but I am saying that the trade ensures nothing… even if RGIII becomes an excellent QB.

Realistically they gave up 3 guys- atleast 1 of which probably wouldn't do much in the NFL anyway. One or two extra signings or hitting on 1-2 exta late picks and suddenly you are back to even on the roster and have your qb (hopefully for them)

You make excellent points but the other thing to argue is whether they will be able to build a roster via free agency.

As the point has been made several times now, the Redskins roster resembles a block of Lorraine Swiss.

The path the Redskins have chosen has at least two pitfalls… both mentioned in this post.

Perhaps some of our DC guys can shed light on the state of the Redskins roster but my impression was that they have a long way to go with many holes to fill.

I'm not saying it's a bad trade for them but I am saying that the trade ensures nothing… even if RGIII becomes an excellent QB.

I live in VA and we are force-fed the Skins news all day long on the locals. I also get the joy of having every one of their games televised around here. The Skins' have needs on both sides of the ball. They were not just a QB away from contending. The OL could use three quality starters, as evidenced by us getting 9 sacks on them. They need help at WR. Santana Moss isn't getting any younger. They do have Fred Davis @ TE and Hankerson (WR) showed some promise before getting injured, but they could use 2 or 3 more WR's. Their secondary has question marks. They have DeAngelo Hall, but you never know what you will get from that guy. One game he's good in coverage, next game he's toast you try to scrape off with a butter knife. They do have one of the best 3-4 duos @ OLB in the game potentially in Orakpo and Kerrigan, but could use some help on the DL. With the departure of Laron Landry looming they are going to need more help @ SS. They do have many holes and it's possible they could be filled through FA, but you still have to be able to sign your targets and there is no gaurantee that you will be able to. Yes they free up 1st round money for 2 years after this, but they will have to spend even more money going after FA potentially and you can't say it's definite they will get who they want.

The Redskins? They have a lot more than 1-2 holes to fill. This will be the third "reboot" by Snyder. Starting in one direction for a year or two, then hitting the "reboot" button when they don't win. The most consistently successful teams are the ones that have the most continuity and stability.

Snyder changes front office staff and coaches like some people change shoes.

Go back and read the pre-draft hype about Jamarcus Russell. He was going to save the Raiders. I'm not saying RGIII is Russell, but three first rounders is too much for an unproven player.

Snyder thinks football is like "Madden". Just plug in some names, make a dream team and pop the chamagne. Doesn't work that way in real football, see the 2011 Eagles.

Parts are reasonable, but parts I totally disagree with. I said 1-2 EXTRA holes. In other words of the 2 firsts and a 2nd used to move up - one or two of those guys would have probably worked out. An extra signing and hitting on one extra pick elsewhere and suddenly your gutted roster is even but has it's qb.

And jamarcus was a story because he had a big arm and was going high. I don't know how many people would have actually bet big on him. His work ethic concerns, and low football iq were also well documented. If you show me the knocks on rg3 then I'll buy in. Size and by proxy injury risk (ala Vick) is about all I've seen. Stellar head - VERY smart- hard worker, big arm and cheetah fast. None of that fits jamarcus beyond big arm. He was a much higher risk pick even if you didn't realize it.

I live in VA and we are force-fed the Skins news all day long on the locals. I also get the joy of having every one of their games televised around here. The Skins' have needs on both sides of the ball. They were not just a QB away from contending. The OL could use three quality starters, as evidenced by us getting 9 sacks on them. They need help at WR. Santana Moss isn't getting any younger. They do have Fred Davis @ TE and Hankerson (WR) showed some promise before getting injured, but they could use 2 or 3 more WR's. Their secondary has question marks. They have DeAngelo Hall, but you never know what you will get from that guy. One game he's good in coverage, next game he's toast you try to scrape off with a butter knife. They do have one of the best 3-4 duos @ OLB in the game potentially in Orakpo and Kerrigan, but could use some help on the DL. With the departure of Laron Landry looming they are going to need more help @ SS. They do have many holes and it's possible they could be filled through FA, but you still have to be able to sign your targets and there is no gaurantee that you will be able to. Yes they free up 1st round money for 2 years after this, but they will have to spend even more money going after FA potentially and you can't say it's definite they will get who they want.

I think this might be a real VJ landing spot giving rg3 a huge target if true.

I would rather do this type of skins deal in a year or two. Build up the defense and get some pieces on the offense. If we can do that we can get a qb next year at the top of the draft by trading up. There are qb's that come out every year that supposedly are "franchise qb's" We need a team and then have a qb come in and not have all the pressure on him.

I would rather do this type of skins deal in a year or two. Build up the defense and get some pieces on the offense. If we can do that we can get a qb next year at the top of the draft by trading up. There are qb's that come out every year that supposedly are "franchise qb's" We need a team and then have a qb come in and not have all the pressure on him.

Unfortunately the league(fans) has gone wacky and thinks a guy is supposed to come in first year. If we build a team up THEN get the guy, the team will often be dismantled by the time he's ready to make a run.

Edited by NoSaint

Next year, Matt Barkley. I would take him over RGIII and Luck if had a choice between the 3. :thumbsup:

Wow. And ppl here thought 2 first rounders would get the job done. Yeah right. We would have had to give up 4 first rounders probably. Jesus

It is two first rounders. They are swapping firsts with the Rams in April and that's counted as one of the "3" first round picks. Really

they are giving up a 2nd and two 1sts.

Next year, Matt Barkley. I would take him over RGIII and Luck if had a choice between the 3. :thumbsup:

You would? Why? I wouldn't. He's a good player though, but he doesn't bring close to RIII"s athleticism. RGIII has a stronger arm.

Luck and Barkley I could see being a choice. Those two are very similar. But I think Luck is a better athlete.

Thanks for weighing in!

That was my impression too… that the Skins are 6-7 players away.

As I stated earlier, an RGIII deal by a team like the Seahawks (or even the Niners) makes a lot more sense in that those teams have pretty much everything except a quarterback.

I agree although in my eternal optimism I see the Bills as being closer than they probably are and wouldn't have been upset had they made a move for the Rams' pick.

But in principle I agree with your thought.

If one year from now, Barkley is viewed as that type of player, absolutely, yes.

And there might be more QBs who emerge as elite prospects between now and then. Things change a helluva lot in one year.

But again in principle, yes, I agree.

Unfortunately the league(fans) has gone wacky and thinks a guy is supposed to come in first year. If we build a team up THEN get the guy, the team will often be dismantled by the time he's ready to make a run.

Well, the idea is that if you have a smart gm who built the team in the first place that he would continue to draft well and replace the guys that are cap casualties.

You would? Why? I wouldn't. He's a good player though, but he doesn't bring close to RIII"s athleticism. RGIII has a stronger arm.

Luck and Barkley I could see being a choice. Those two are very similar. But I think Luck is a better athlete.

Watched Barkley get absolutely nothing but better since walking on campus @ USC as a Freshman starter. His football IQ is off the charts. He can make every throw you could ask for, inside or outside the numbers. He knows when to put a little extra heat on the ball and when to use more touch. He breaks down the defense quickly and gets the ball out to the right guy pretty much every time. He may not run a 4.6 40 yard dash, but he feels the rush and is able to move around in the pocket to buy himself time to get the ball out. When forced to throw on the run, he is STILL almost just as accurate. Look at the TD-INT ratio, Comp %, and QBR. Next year, watch a few games for yourself and you will see the guy is going to be a Franchise QB. The footwork, throwing motion, intangibles, the guy has it all. I also don't believe that RGIII has a stronger arm than Barkley. I said Luck was the best QB prospect since Manning, believe that, and think that Barkley is better than Luck.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480322/matt-barkley

Edited by H2o

Watched Barkley get absolutely nothing but better since walking on campus @ USC as a Freshman starter. His football IQ is off the charts. He can make every throw you could ask for, inside or outside the numbers. He knows when to put a little extra heat on the ball and when to use more touch. He breaks down the defense quickly and gets the ball out to the right guy pretty much every time. He may not run a 4.6 40 yard dash, but he feels the rush and is able to move around in the pocket to buy himself time to get the ball out. When forced to throw on the run, he is STILL almost just as accurate. Look at the TD-INT ratio, Comp %, and QBR. Next year, watch a few games for yourself and you will see the guy is going to be a Franchise QB. The footwork, throwing motion, intangibles, the guy has it all. I also don't believe that RGIII has a stronger arm than Barkley. I said Luck was the best QB prospect since Manning, believe that, and think that Barkley is better than Luck.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480322/matt-barkley

As a Notre Dame fan I hate USC but you are spot on with the assessment. There is very little chance the Bills will get a shot at him without trading up.

As a Notre Dame fan I hate USC but you are spot on with the assessment. There is very little chance the Bills will get a shot at him without trading up.

:lol: I'm a Notre Dame fan too and say these things knowing how much I hate the Trojans. He will be the #1 pick in the 2013 Draft, hands down, barring serious injury of course.

Well, the idea is that if you have a smart gm who built the team in the first place that he would continue to draft well and replace the guys that are cap casualties.

That cuts both ways and you'd have to assume he'd draft well while you build around that qb.

I don't know if Nix will draft well. I personally still find his drafting suspect. I liked his draft from last year overall, but that first draft was atrocious. Not sure what to expect this time around, expecially with the new personell guys. Hoping it is more like last year or better, but I do have some fear of them totally screwing it up.

From this week's 30 Rock...

Hank's granddaughter, Kaylie Hooper (Chloe Grace Moretz) is pleased upon destroying the America's Kidz finale, thereby tarnishing Jack's reputation. Jack has every intention of destroying Kaylie until her tiny tears reveal a neglected, scared little girl. Accompanying the abandoned girl to the principal's office Jack quickly catches Kaylie in her web of lies and encourages her expulsion...

"I could get her expelled, sent off to some second rate boarding school, then onto that last bastion of the incompetent rich, U.S.C." :lol:

That said, I LOVE Matt Barkley - it is an absolute, incontrovertible statement of FACT that he will be FAR superior to both Andy Luck AND RGIII.

For the Bills to have a shot at him, we would have either suck this season, or trade away multiple future top draft picks for the next 3-4 drafts, or some combination of both.

I do not want us to suck, nor trade away our future draft picks. Fitz is our QB for the forseeable future, and I am more than fine with that. We CAN go all the way with Fitz at QB.

We'll just have to find our future Tom Brady* or Kurt Warner buried deep in this draft or next year's. Obviously, it has been done before - and most certainly will happen again.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

I don't know if Nix will draft well. I personally still find his drafting suspect. I liked his draft from last year overall, but that first draft was atrocious. Not sure what to expect this time around, expecially with the new personell guys. Hoping it is more like last year or better, but I do have some fear of them totally screwing it up.

Just a friendly and optimistic reminder that :

1) Nix was promoted to GM about 2 months before that first draft and he still had to work with all the holdovers in the scouting department including Tom Modrak.

2) While the 2010 draft isn't looking great (except for the promise of Spiller), the jury is still out.

3) It's possible or likely that the 2011 draft was a big improvement over the 2010 draft and with the dismissal of Modrak that the 2012 will hopefully be his best ever.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Just a friendly and optimistic reminder that :

1) Nix was promoted to GM about 2 months before that first draft and he still had to work with all the holdovers in the scouting department including Tom Modrak.

2) While the 2010 draft isn't looking great (except for the promise of Spiller), the jury is still out.

3) It's possible or likely that the 2011 draft was a big improvement over the 2010 draft and with the dismissal of Modrak that the 2012 will hopefully be his best ever.

I think those are all pretty close to accurate. Another little cog I think is gailey had a lot of input based on his senior bowl coaching. I'm hoping for a good draft, and there is good reason for optimism. But I would be lying if I said I was fully confident of a great draft

I hope RG3 has a great career ... exciting player. He'll be fun to watch.

Having said that, RG3 should be concerned about Mr Snyder's bad luck ... he's an overspender and typically makes poor decisions running the football team.

Also, I always liked Mike Shanahan ,,, the guy was a stud in Denver. I recall that one Denver (against San Diego) game where Denver scored touchdown and the extra point would've tied the game but Shanny decided

to go for two points and Denver won. BUT ... I have the sense that it is over for Shanahan. He's lost IT. Lame move and subsequent excuse for pulling McNabb a couple years ago and just poor decisions with personnel

and game management. It's so over.

I could see this deal for Luck, but not for RG3 ... huge gamble, very risky. But hey, Mr Snyder is a multi millionaire and I made 50k last year.

http://profootballta...-for-no-2-pick/

Glazer says that the teams will swap first-round picks in 2012, with St. Louis taking the No. 6 pick. The Rams also get two future first-round picks and additional selections, one of which is believed to be a second-rounder.

(2) #1's

(1) #2

and at least another pick. Damn!

I hope he pulls an Eli and comes out and says he won't play for the Redskins

Rams got a sweet deal. 3 first rounders. They can get some good talent with good drafting.

But RG3 might be worth it. If he has a season like Cam did last yr for the Panthers it will do 2 things for the Skins.

Give them a franchise QB.

Just as important it might lead to getting more free agents to go to DC.

They have to go the free agent way next 2yrs anyway.

Time will tell but it was a bold move.

EDIT: How funny is it that I can predict ahead of time, with ease, that the only team dumb enough to make this trade....is the Redskins?

TOTALLY WORTH IT !!!.....good move washington

they only gave up unproven draft picks.....they still have that salary cap space to spend on proven free agents.

How many unproven draft picks did it take to get Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, or Jim F'ing Kelly--->this list goes on forever. So, you are saying that this guy is a better player, already, than those guys + whoever the next picks are?

Ludicrous.

Congrats to the Redskins, the NFC East will continue to be must-see TV. Agree that it was an awful lot to give up, but they owed their fanbase something after a year of Beck/Grossman. Congrats to the Rams too, nice haul.

Oh now this is just F'ing hysterical. What have the Redskins been doing to the their fanbase for the last 10 years? Adam Archuleta ring a bell? How about Albert Haynesworth? It would be a lot more funny if it was the Dolphins, and the fact that it is the Redskins, again, reduces the humor. Deserve? You actually used the word....deserve? :lol: Look, I understand antipathy for DC as much as next guy, especially given the people that are there now, but, how in the hell do the Redskin fans deserve another ass raping? Dude, Giant fans are feeling sorry for these people today.

The only thing the Redskins fanbase gets from Dan Snyder is BOHICA.

Any self-respecting Redskins fan is either over 50 years old and still doing the dress up like a pig thing....cause there's nowhere left to go, or is a Ravens fan now.

So really it's 2 ones and a two? No brainer for the Skins. Great deal for them.

And the Rams.

You've stated it. No brain. A safety that can't play in your scheme...or, for that matter a DL that refuses to play in your scheme. :lol: No Brainer! Hysterical! But hey....these are "aggressive" moves, right?

Losman? Not even in the same discussion with this kid. It's apples and oranges. This kid is the real deal. He's worth the shot the Skins took. Losman was a panic move. Like McCargo.

And what about McGahee? Hey, you started it with the "genius trade up moves" you've already referred to, why not finish it off with the rest of the idiocy? Worth the shot? :lol: Again, given the last 10 years of Dan Snyder's "aggressive" (read: stupid) moves, you think this one....is going pay off. Really. You have the memory of a single cell bacteria. Yeah, there may be a lot of you, and you can reproduce yourselves rapidly.....but....we're talking bacteria

Take notes, OBD. -This is what franchises that are serious about winning do. This will probably go down as the "All In" move of the decade. BIG things will be expected from Griffin (or Luck) in a relatively short period of time. With the right pieces in place, whichever kid is picked at two should be fine.

Serious....about.....winning.... with the Reskins pattern of behavior and accompanying results....

2 words come to mind: Ricky Williams. Google that, if you are serious...about....winning....and "moves of the decade". :lol: Keep in mind: you said Big Things....and, expected.....:lol:

As I clearly disclaimed in the other thread prior to this idiocy: the only people stupid enough to make this trade were the Redskins....and that if they came to us looking to trade up....we should rape them, because for some reason they seem to like it. The Rams? This isn't even outside the conference :lol: Yes, the Rams will be dominating the Redskins you know where for the next 4 years.

2 things I know to be true:

There is no difference between good flan and bad flan

and

the Redskins will offer their backsides to whatever Thespian comes along.

Money? That's why this is OK? There are a lot more guys who have pissed away fortunes than have capitalized them properly, going all the way back to the Phoneticians. The main thing that I find over and over with "the rich" is: too many get outside what they know. Snyder should have stuck with annoying direct mail campaigns. He knows that. He sure as hell doesn't know football.

Are you guys trolls? Or, are you simply doing the CYA thing now that we see the actual cost of an RG3 trade?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Wow, brilliant deal for the Rams. They get all those pick plus they will probably still land they guy who will help their team the most anyway -- Justin Blackmon. The biggest problem with Bradford so far is he has no one to throw to.

let's say you have $5 mil of cap space to spend...

would you rather have a proven player like...let's say the Bills Nick Burnett at $4 mil/yr...

or take a chance on a #1 pick like....lets say Luke Kuechly or Courtney Upshaw ?

my point is, washington is simply losing the "take a chance on a #1" option, and now must "take a chance on a proven player".

they haven't lost the salary cap slot. that #1 pick is being replaced by a free agent. they still get a player to fill that salary cap slot. i call that a wash (no pun intended).

Real deal? Like Brady Quinn , jamarcuss Russell, Ryan leaf, aliki smith, blaine gabbert, or the other countless qbs that were considered a sure thing by everyone? The chances of rgIII having a cam newton rookie season is terribly small. I wouldnt mind throwing a pick or two for him, but giving up the farm for a player that could very well be a bust? If he does turn out to be a bust, then you will have to wait like 4-5 years to draft another top tier prospect because you have no more 1st round picks. If the panthers traded up to the 1st round to get clausen they never would have gotten newton.

I am all for getting a stud qb, but I don't want to be enslaved to bust with the only way to draft a replacement is by using a 2nd rounder. That will get you nowhere.

I totally agree. There is no way to know whether RGIII or any QB coming out of college can process what's happening after the ball is snapped at the SPEED of the NFL. On top of that, the fans and the media here in DC have very little patience with their sports teams. Having paid such a steep price for RGIII will only increase the pressure on him. Tom Boswell has an article in the Washington Post today where he looked at all QBs taken in the first and second rounds over tha past 20 years. Their combined record for their first season is 50-115. It's their second and third years where you really find out if they can play. Given the atmosphere in this town (and I hope for RGIII's sake I'm wrong) I don't think RGIII makes it that far if he doesn't produce this year.

For everyone saying that the Redskins gave up 3 first round picks at least acknowledge the overall #2 pick in this draft that they got back in return.

For everyone wondering gleefully how the Redskins will feel if Griffin is drafted #1...what NFL QB is Luck referred to quite often? The most complete QB entering the draft since John Elway. Do you really think that Shanny would not look forward to that?

It's not a sure thing, but...it is exactly what many here were clammoring for last year regarding Newton. My own feelings were that if Nix and Co. thought Newton was the man then they should do everything possible to get him. That's what Washington did this time around. I've already said it, but I would have no problem with the Bills making this deal. A swap of #1s this year and 2 first round picks are OK in my book. They are taking a huge chance, but the potential rewards are 'huger' IMO.

TOTALLY WORTH IT !!!.....good move washington

they only gave up unproven draft picks.....they still have that salary cap space to spend on proven free agents.

They gave up 4 unproven draft picks - for a single unproven draft pick, all to move up for slots. 4 slots.

I wonder how Washington is going to build their team around RG3 if they have no picks to do so. RG3 has to be a Hall of Fame QB for this to be worth it.

Congrats to the Redskins, the NFC East will continue to be must-see TV. Agree that it was an awful lot to give up, but they owed their fanbase something after a year of Beck/Grossman. Congrats to the Rams too, nice haul.

Now that the redskins are 2nd in the draft, they can get a franchise QB (RG3). RG3 is a fast,strong QB, and that is what the redskins need. The redskins got Gaffney as a WR and he is a WR that RG3 will love, they also got Chris Cooley as a TE and he will be another great Blocker\receiver that RG3 will like. I say if they some more good players in the draft they will surprise a lot of teams. LIKE THE BILLS!! :devil:

would you rather have a proven player like...let's say the Bills Nick Burnett at $4 mil/yr...

or take a chance on a #1 pick like....lets say Luke Kuechly or Courtney Upshaw ?

my point is, washington is simply losing the "take a chance on a #1" option, and now must "take a chance on a proven player".

they haven't lost the salary cap slot. that #1 pick is being replaced by a free agent. they still get a player to fill that salary cap slot. i call that a wash (no pun intended).

You're ignoring the fact that they gave up taking a chance on 3 other theoretically good to great (depending on when they pick in the next 2 drafts) players so they could take a chance on one player, a QB, which has a high bust rate.

Papazoid, as I've already stated in this thread I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea for a team to bundle high picks to land what they believe is a franchise QB.

But as I said before if that team is missing only a piece or two then it's infinitely more justifiable than for a team like the Redskins who have holes up and down their roster.

Cam Newton got his team four wins last year in spite of playing brilliantly. Luckily for Carolina, they didn't give up a bunch of high picks for the right to draft him and will still be able to build a team around Newton.

Compared to the Panthers it WILL be more difficult for the Redskins to build a team around the quarterback… your free agent argument makes some assumptions that you treat like givens when they are not.

Firstly in any given year, you might have a weak free agent class.

Secondly your team needs might not mesh with that year's free agent class.

Thirdly if you build a roster in free agency you're a) going to occasionally be outbid for a player AND b) when you do get him, you'll be paying top dollar.

This doesn't mean that George Allen/Mike Shanahan can't build a team around RGIII but it does make it more difficult.

The argument that giving up 2 number one picks and a number 2 pick isn't a handicap in team building is absurd.

It is an obstacle.

With good management and good luck it can be overcome but it is an obstacle.

Now that the redskins are 2nd in the draft, they can get a franchise QB (RG3). RG3 is a fast,strong QB, and that is what the redskins need. The redskins got Gaffney as a WR and he is a WR that RG3 will love, they also got Chris Cooley as a TE and he will be another great Blocker\receiver that RG3 will like. I say if they some more good players in the draft they will surprise a lot of teams. LIKE THE BILLS!! :devil:

Cooley's likely out this off-season and Gaffney is a solid but not spectacular 2-3 WR option. That said, Fred Davis is one of the better pass catching TEs in the game and they could still land a premier WR in FA. If not they better cross their fingers and hope they hit gold with a mid-round WR, otherwise it could be a long season for the rookie QB.

lol, you kidding me?

im sorry, but no way no how does this look like the quarterback thats going to lead the bills to the promise land a handful of times for the next decade.

bu bu bu but hes the next cam newton! (career 6-10 record, 0 playoff wins)

bu bu bu but hes the next micheal vick! (2 career playoff wins, 1 year in prison)

bu but but, hes the next vince young! (0-1 in the playoffs, 0-1 in suicide attempts)

but but... YOURE RACIST!

look, enough of these "non-prototypical-are-they-going-to-run-or-pass?" quarterbacks. IT. DOESN'T. WORK.

lets go back in time and confirm that?

Superbowls

2012: Eli Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Tom Brady (Pocket Passer)

2011: Ben Rothlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Aaron Rodgers (Pocket Passer)

2010: Drew Brees (Pocket Passer) v. Peyton Manning (Pocket Passer)

2009: Ben Rothlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Kurt Warner (Pocket Passer)

2008: Eli Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Tom Brady (Pocket Passer)

2007: Peyton Manning (Pocket Passer) v. Rex Grosman (Pocket Passer)

2006: Ben Rotlisberger (Pocket Passer) v. Matt Hasselbeck (Pocket Passer)

2005: Tom Brady (Pocket Passer) v. Donovan Mcnabb (Maybe... MAYBE.. a mobile qb? Rushed for 0 yards in the Super bowl)

2004: Tom Brady (Pocket Passer) v. Jake Delhomme (Pocket Passer)

2003: Brad Johnson (Pocket Passer) v. Rich Gannon (Pocket Passer)

Additionally - it is RIDICULOUS that im reading on this board, of all boards, that cam newton has good numbers.

cam newton??

CAM NEWTON???

they finished 6-10!

fitz is a terrible quarterback because we finished 6-10.

cam is a great quarterback, even though he finished 6-10.

we should change the name of this board to thegrassisalwaysgreener.com

people in here saying things like "now THATS how you run a franchise" in speaking about the redskins???????

i feel like i woke up in bizarro world.

Not only an ignorant post, but a ridiculous one. The moment you label Aaron Rogers as a "pocket passer" is the moment you reveal yourself to be a fool. Try watching some football, then report back.

And now we know why H2o isn't a GM. :nana:

I hope Luck & RG3 both bust & are out of the league in 5 years.

Yeah, god forbid the NFL get a new crop of star QBs to carry the league for the next decade. :wallbash:

Edited by tgreg99
Inapropriate comment

Not only an ignorant post, but a ridiculous one. The moment you label Aaron Rogers as a "pocket passer" is the moment you Try watching some football, then report back.

I get that you might disagree with the dude's post but where do you get "ignorant"?

And don't say it's b/c he said Aaron Rogers is a pocket QB, whether or not you agree that's how most would classify him.

Yeah, god forbid the NFL get a new crop of star QBs to carry the league for the next decade. :wallbash:

I have no interest in seeing the Colts or Redskins succeed. Plus, even though I'd like the Bills to have either of them, I'd get some gratification in seeing all the fanboys served up with a plate of crow.

Also Irsay & Snyder deserve the disappointment.

I get that you might disagree with the dude's post but where do you get "ignorant"?

And don't say it's b/c he said Aaron Rogers is a pocket QB, whether or not you agree that's how most would classify him.

I have no interest in seeing the Colts or Redskins succeed. Plus, even though I'd like the Bills to have either of them, I'd get some gratification in seeing all the fanboys served up with a plate of crow.

Also Irsay & Snyder deserve the disappointment.

No one classifies Rodgers as a pocket QB. He's mobile and athletic and throws more passes on the run, out of the pocket than he does inside it. It's what makes him good.

No one classifies Rodgers as a pocket QB. He's mobile and athletic and throws more passes on the run, out of the pocket than he does inside it. It's what makes him good.

Now you're just arguing semantics. He's not a pocket passer in the sense that Tom Brady is but he's still a pass first guy who surveys the field and uses his legs when the pass breaks down as opposed to when his first read is covered. I'm still curious what it was you found "ignorant", or was that it?