Rams, Redskins make a deal for the #2 pick

I would think so. If I were Manning, I'd rather play in Denver than Miami or Arizona because they just came off a playoff season and have a good HC who isn't in his first coaching stint, much less his first year.

Why would he go to a cold weather team? I think it's Miami.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to play you for a moment:

Prove me wrong.

And what prompted that outburst from RW after Tebow was selected in the first round? Argue if you will, but owners do not call out other teams after draft day about what they've done wrong. Bizarre behavior from an elderly man who clearly had something in mind when he made that statement.

:lol:

I'd trade all three for RGIII

Maybe in hindsight for the moment. But last time we traded our future for a qb we got stuck with losman and we missed out on getting rodgers the following year. There are good qb prospects every year. No reason to give up that much for one player that isn't a sure thing.

And if we made that trade, it would have been a lot more. Probably another 1st or maybe 2 more 2nds at the very least. Whatever we would give up, it would have been a lot more than what the skins gave up.

And the team that was in the SB a few years ago and has Fitzgerald at WR is not a good option? Think, man. Think!

I didn't say it wasn't a good option (even though the SB was 4 years ago), just that Denver was the best option.

Why would he go to a cold weather team? I think it's Miami.

Why go to a team with sweltering weather? He's played in a dome for the majority of his NFL career. If anything, it's more of a case for Arizona.

Maybe in hindsight for the moment. But last time we traded our future for a qb we got stuck with losman and we missed out on getting rodgers the following year. There are good qb prospects every year. No reason to give up that much for one player that isn't a sure thing.

And if we made that trade, it would have been a lot more. Probably another 1st or maybe 2 more 2nds at the very least. Whatever we would give up, it would have been a lot more than what the skins gave up.

Losman? Not even in the same discussion with this kid. It's apples and oranges. This kid is the real deal. He's worth the shot the Skins took. Losman was a panic move. Like McCargo.

I would think so. If I were Manning, I'd rather play in Denver than Miami or Arizona because they just came off a playoff season and have a good HC who isn't in his first coaching stint, much less his first year.

I don't think that Manning much cares how experienced his HC is. He wants to have control of the offensive side of the ball.

What he should care about are O-line, Receivers, RB. Defense is a big deal too, maybe as big as anything on the offensive side of the ball. Denver might be at the top of the list because their defense kept them in games and allowed Tebow to win games completing less than 10 passes.

I don't think that Manning much cares how experienced his HC is. He wants to have control of the offensive side of the ball.

What he should care about are O-line, Receivers, RB. Defense is a big deal too, maybe as big as anything on the offensive side of the ball. Denver might be at the top of the list because their defense kept them in games and allowed Tebow to win games completing less than 10 passes.

A smart guy like Manning wouldn't want a rookie head coach in his first year. Especially a guy who was a former OC. Not when he could have a guy who is a defensive minded guy who he can wrest offensive play-calling from easier, and who can give him a better defense, like as you mentioned they had last year.

Losman? Not even in the same discussion with this kid. It's apples and oranges. This kid is the real deal. He's worth the shot the Skins took. Losman was a panic move. Like McCargo.

Real deal? Like Brady Quinn , jamarcuss Russell, Ryan leaf, aliki smith, blaine gabbert, or the other countless qbs that were considered a sure thing by everyone? The chances of rgIII having a cam newton rookie season is terribly small. I wouldnt mind throwing a pick or two for him, but giving up the farm for a player that could very well be a bust? If he does turn out to be a bust, then you will have to wait like 4-5 years to draft another top tier prospect because you have no more 1st round picks. If the panthers traded up to the 1st round to get clausen they never would have gotten newton.

I am all for getting a stud qb, but I don't want to be enslaved to bust with the only way to draft a replacement is by using a 2nd rounder. That will get you nowhere.

Real deal? Like Brady Quinn , jamarcuss Russell, Ryan leaf, aliki smith, blaine gabbert, or the other countless qbs that were considered a sure thing by everyone? The chances of rgIII having a cam newton rookie season is terribly small. I wouldnt mind throwing a pick or two for him, but giving up the farm for a player that could very well be a bust? If he does turn out to be a bust, then you will have to wait like 4-5 years to draft another top tier prospect because you have no more 1st round picks. If the panthers traded up to the 1st round to get clausen they never would have gotten newton.

I am all for getting a stud qb, but I don't want to be enslaved to bust with the only way to draft a replacement is by using a 2nd rounder. That will get you nowhere.

Look back at all the QBs you mentioned and show me where the consensus from everyone was they would succeed in the NFL. Now look this season and show me anyone who does not think this kid is the real deal. By anyone, I mean qualified, respected opinions.

Just a thought and I know I'll be shot, stabbed, drowned, choked, hung, set on fire, raped, stoned and castrated for even mentioning because Luck is 100% the next coming of Christ but does anyone think that maybe Shanny got a hint that the Colts will be drafting RG3 and leave the sone of God himself for the taking at #2?

Personally I think Luck is good I just don't see all the overhype. Especially since he will NEVER live up to his expectations.

Look back at all the QBs you mentioned and show me where the consensus from everyone was they would succeed in the NFL. Now look this season and show me anyone who does not think this kid is the real deal. By anyone, I mean qualified, respected opinions.

by qualified and respected im assuming you mean everyone who agrees with you?? :lol:

Edited by Danny

Anyone care to wager which team is farther ahead 5 years down the road? The Rams will be making playoff appearances and Washington will be chasing the next big name FA.

The Redskins have turned into Raiders east.

I think it's a good deal for both teams.

Most here are speculating that Luck will be picked first. I wonder if the Redskins specifically wanted RG III or were indifferent between the two QBs. It will be interesting if Indy picks RG III. Will that indicate they don't believe in Luck ? What will the Redskins feel then ?

As for this deal, I am sure glad the Bills did not make this type of a deal. If the draft can be considered somewhat of a gamble, then it is much more likely for a team to improve with two more #1s and a #2. Purely on a game of odds, this is a poor move.

If you need that then this must be your first time following the draft. Mayock, kiper, mcshay, all the talking heads said Russell had the best arm they ever seen, nfl scouts raved at his pro days, scouts from all teams showed up to see him and were impressed. Ryan leaf.... Good god. HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER THE HYPE!

And I would love to link you to every scout/talking head that raved about every player I mentioned, but I am on the phone and it takes forever just to type a post on my phone. And I don't think it is worth it to spend 30 mins linking you to a dozen reports on all the players if you can't even remember the talk/hype surrounding leaf and Russell. No different than the hype around RGIII. Now the luck hype is a little unique compared to the others. But the RGIII stuff I heard before. If he fell to us, is take him. But I wouldn't give up the next 4-5 years for an unproven player

First off, that kind of thinking is a losers mentality. Just hope that a franchise QB falls in your lap!?!? If you believe the guy is going to be a franchise guy, then go get him. The NFL is a QB league now, we all see that. Second, none of the guys you mentioned came into the league with no question marks. From everything that's being said by personnel men around the league, RGIII is the real deal. Now that doesn't mean he will be a perennial pro bowler, but it was def worth the risk.

folks OVER VALUE 1st round draft picks.

look at first round draft picks as simply a salary cap slot reserved for an unproven rookie. the redskins did NOT lose the salary cap slot. they freed themselves of the uncertainty and risk of a rookie. they can now simply use those dollars on proven players.

Most here are speculating that Luck will be picked first. I wonder if the Redskins specifically wanted RG III or were indifferent between the two QBs. It will be interesting if Indy picks RG III. Will that indicate they don't believe in Luck ? What will the Redskins feel then ?

As for this deal, I am sure glad the Bills did not make this type of a deal. If the draft can be considered somewhat of a gamble, then it is much more likely for a team to improve with two more #1s and a #2. Purely on a game of odds, this is a poor move.

Seriously. Success of Cam Newton in his 1st year is skewing the thought that these guys are can't miss. If Jamarcus Russell was taken last year instead of 5 years ago, no way Rams get that kind of bounty.

Eli Manning deal huh?

Manning deal was a swap of 1st overall for 4th overall. The Giants kicked in their 1st the next year and a third that year. Which was a high cost but a fair one if you think he is the guy. This trade was stacked for the Rams 2 extra firsts and a extra pick (Possibly a second) is a steep cost.

look at first round draft picks as simply a salary cap slot reserved for an unproven rookie. the redskins did NOT lose the salary cap slot. they freed themselves of the uncertainty and risk of a rookie. they can now simply use those dollars on proven players.

Yes, like RGIII. People act as if he's already done something in the league.

If you need that then this must be your first time following the draft. Mayock, kiper, mcshay, all the talking heads said Russell had the best arm they ever seen, nfl scouts raved at his pro days, scouts from all teams showed up to see him and were impressed. Ryan leaf.... Good god. HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER THE HYPE!

And I would love to link you to every scout/talking head that raved about every player I mentioned, but I am on the phone and it takes forever just to type a post on my phone. And I don't think it is worth it to spend 30 mins linking you to a dozen reports on all the players if you can't even remember the talk/hype surrounding leaf and Russell. No different than the hype around RGIII. Now the luck hype is a little unique compared to the others. But the RGIII stuff I heard before. If he fell to us, is take him. But I wouldn't give up the next 4-5 years for an unproven player

And that's why we will be perennial doormats.

On the other hand, when you look across the league you see a lot of players who are signed to their rookie contracts and performing above and beyond. Draft picks allow teams to replenish their depth at a lower cost than free agency provides.

(On the other other hand), you do need to make those picks count.

First off, that kind of thinking is a losers mentality. Just hope that a franchise QB falls in your lap!?!? If you believe the guy is going to be a franchise guy, then go get him. The NFL is a QB league now, we all see that. Second, none of the guys you mentioned came into the league with no question marks. From everything that's being said by personnel men around the league, RGIII is the real deal. Now that doesn't mean he will be a perennial pro bowler, but it was def worth the risk.

If you are going to go all nuts trading up for a qb, then you go after luck. Now he is a rare prospect that is worth making this grab for. There will prospects next year like barkley that will be just as good a prospect if not better than RGIII. The jests didn't go nuts when they moved up for sanchez. With the new collective bargaining agreement, that won't be as easy. But in most years you can get just as good a prospect as RGIII without giving up everything.

Luck is a different story. Trade 3 first rounders, Stevie, and Fitz for luck and I say we made out like bandits

Seriously. Success of Cam Newton in his 1st year is skewing the thought that these guys are can't miss. If Jamarcus Russell was taken last year instead of 5 years ago, no way Rams get that kind of bounty.

That's not the case at all. League revolves around QB's, just look at where Ponder, Locker, and Gabbert went last year. Teams are looking for that franchise guy and don't want to risk the chance of losing their guy. Just so happens that there are two guys that are really good and don't have any major flaws (unlike previous QB prospects). And I'm positive that if Matt Barkley had declared for this draft, the rams would not have gotten as much in return for their pick.

If you are going to go all nuts trading up for a qb, then you go after luck. Now he is a rare prospect that is worth making this grab for. There will prospects next year like barkley that will be just as good a prospect if not better than RGIII. The jests didn't go nuts when they moved up for sanchez. With the new collective bargaining agreement, that won't be as easy. But in most years you can get just as good a prospect as RGIII without giving up everything.

Luck is a different story. Trade 3 first rounders, Stevie, and Fitz for luck and I say we made out like bandits

No! What are you saying, RGIII is a far better prospect than Sanchez was. There were all kinds of question marks surrounding Sanchez. While i do agree Barkley will be a hot commodity, you can't bank on sucking enough to draft high. Again, bad mentality. And btw, you could offer colts ur entire draft and they wouldn't move from that spot.

Luck wasn't for sale

That's only if you use your picks for the wrong guys. Admittedly, that's easier said than done but if you pick the right guys, they're invaluable.

Look where they were those QB's were taken. Most of the recent QB busts have been in the top 3 picks so someone who was qualified to run their teams draft felt they would succeed in the NFL.

Draft is total crap shoot...