sign Brees

With all this talk of trading up for RG3 lets sign Brees instead. Talks are not going and they may franchise, then again they may not.

"Brees is coming off one of the most prolific passing seasons in NFL history, setting a single-season NFL record with 5,476 yards and leading the league with 46 touchdown passes. Brees’ agent is Tom Condon of CAA Football, who negotiated Peyton Manning’s $18 million per year contract with the Indianapolis Colts last July.

Given Condon’s experience negotiating quarterback contracts, and Brees’ importance to the Saints offense and his role in the New Orleans community, it’s a surprise that particular contract hasn’t been wrapped up already. Brees hasn’t missed a game due to injury during his six seasons with the Saints and, after turning 33 in January, is the same age that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was when he signed a four-year, $72 million contract in 2010.

Guaranteed money is likely the issue holding up the Brees deal."

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2012/02/29/new-orleans-saints-and-qb-drew-brees-still-far-apart-in-contract-talks/

With the past CBA, a team who signed a tagged player had to surrender two first round picks. Is that still the case with the new CBA? If so, I think the bills should attempt to sign Brees to a contract the Saints could not match. I don't think Brees will leave New Orleans, but you don't know until you show him the money.

And for those who say why would he want to leave a playoff team to go to Buffalo, ask yourself why the Saints went to the playoffs. They went to the playoffs because of Brees, not because of the overall talent on their roster. Just like the Colts were a playoff team with Manning and stunk without him. It shows how important the qb position is.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

With all this talk of trading up for RG3 lets sign Brees instead. Talks are not going and they may franchise, then again they may not.

"Brees is coming off one of the most prolific passing seasons in NFL history, setting a single-season NFL record with 5,476 yards and leading the league with 46 touchdown passes. Brees’ agent is Tom Condon of CAA Football, who negotiated Peyton Manning’s $18 million per year contract with the Indianapolis Colts last July.

Given Condon’s experience negotiating quarterback contracts, and Brees’ importance to the Saints offense and his role in the New Orleans community, it’s a surprise that particular contract hasn’t been wrapped up already. Brees hasn’t missed a game due to injury during his six seasons with the Saints and, after turning 33 in January, is the same age that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was when he signed a four-year, $72 million contract in 2010.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2012/02/29/new-orleans-saints-and-qb-drew-brees-still-far-apart-in-contract-talks/

This is a ridiculous thread but I will say I am glad to see that you are no longer obsessed with Talleywhacker.

This is a ridiculous thread but I will say I am glad to see that you are no longer obsessed with Talleywhacker.

You know it's gotten bad when crayonz is calling you ridiculous!

I gotta say, you do come up with some interesting threads. But theyre interesting in the same way stepping in dog poop is interesting. hahaha :thumbsup:

Ahh, the offseason...

I don't know what's funnier about this thread...

the people who think Drew Brees would leave New Orleans to come to Buffalo...

or the people who say "no thanks, we dont need him"

The second is funnier. The first is true, but I think more sad. (that buffalo is not a place top FA's will consider, can't really blame them through).

I don't know what's funnier about this thread...

the people who think Drew Brees would leave New Orleans to come to Buffalo...

or the people who say "no thanks, we dont need him"

I think the first group... Because everyone in the second group is making fun of everyone in the first group.

Franchise Tag.....he's going nowhere....but it could get ugly.....i say if new orleans franchise tags brees...he will refuse to sign it and sit out.....no way he plays under a one year deal ($14.374 mil)....this is his last bite at a big guaranteed contract ($50 mil).

No way Breeze will beat out Tannehill for our starting QB job.

GO BILLS!!!

You must be kidding right ? Or you hit your head !! They have given the guy a $18 mil a year offer & he didn't take it , what the hell does he think he's worth come on !!!

OK i'll give it to him he's good but he thinks he's a lot better than i do ! These guys are all getting to friggin greedy !!!

#1) IT'S A GAME

#2) Most al of these guys make more money a year than the Pres. of the US & it's b/c the fans let it happen ..

I think we have our priorities just a little out of order , don't get me wrong but REALLY 100's of Millions of dollars to play a game !! :blink:

You must be kidding right ? Or you hit your head !! They have given the guy a $18 mil a year offer & he didn't take it , what the hell does he think he's worth come on !!!

OK i'll give it to him he's good but he thinks he's a lot better than i do ! These guys are all getting to friggin greedy !!!

#1) IT'S A GAME

#2) Most al of these guys make more money a year than the Pres. of the US & it's b/c the fans let it happen ..

I think we have our priorities just a little out of order , don't get me wrong but REALLY 100's of Millions of dollars to play a game !! :blink:

I thought it was a BUSINESS???? And like Gordon Gecko says "Greed Is Good!"

Actually what is holding up Brees signing is that for some unfathomable reason, Saints GM Mickey Loomis has taken the position that they believe Drew Brees to be a "Very Good" QB, but not a "Great" QB and are only willing to pay him "Very Good" money, which is about $5 million a year less than what a "Great" QB gets.

I am not sure what planet this guy has been on for the past few years, but there are about 24 or 25 other teams that would give Brees "Great" QB money in a heartbeat...

I have no idea what Loomis is attempting to accomplish here, but potentially pissing off your stud QB, is a dangerous game to play.

ProFootball.com Report

Just pay the guy or someone else is going to.

Actually what is holding up Brees signing is that for some unfathomable reason, Saints GM Mickey Loomis has taken the position that they believe Drew Brees to be a "Very Good" QB, but not a "Great" QB and are only willing to pay him "Very Good" money, which is about $5 million a year less than what a "Great" QB gets.

I am not sure what planet this guy has been on for the past few years, but there are about 24 or 25 other teams that would give Brees "Great" QB money in a heartbeat...

I have no idea what Loomis is attempting to accomplish here, but potentially pissing off your stud QB, is a dangerous game to play.

ProFootball.com Report

Just pay the guy or someone else is going to.

Mere days (weeks?) ago loomis gave an interview publicly calling him the greatest player in the history of the franchise and that he (loomis) would deserve to lose his job if he lost a player of that caliber.

I've also heard the offer is approx 19m per. That's pretty great.

Methinks Jason Cole is a hack that has had multiple issues with the saints front office.

Edited by NoSaint

Ps will smith restructured today. Saved the saints 5m this season.

Word here is that drew is waiting to see if dollars need to be shifted to make a few other deals work (colston and nicks)

Nicks having the same agent being a tough dynamic. If he gets brees tagged, nicks can't be- earning the agent millions.

...and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

They might.

No, thanks. Too short, and a very weak arm.

:lol:

You know it's gotten bad when crayonz is calling you ridiculous!

I gotta say, you do come up with some interesting threads. But theyre interesting in the same way stepping in dog poop is interesting. hahaha :thumbsup:

Ahh, the offseason...

Hey we need something to talk about. :P

better than the HONEY BADGER !!!

By far THEE worst thread ive seen....in so many ways

What have you brought to the board toe lover.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

GO BILLS!!!

That's why I say draft young not bring in 30 somethings. Dump Pigpen this year because they don't trust him and draft a qb and pick up a udfa qb. Try them until you get the next Brady. I don't want the Bills to pay big for a 4_5 year future.

With the past CBA, a team who signed a tagged player had to surrender two first round picks. Is that still the case with the new CBA? If so, I think the bills should attempt to sign Brees to a contract the Saints could not match. I don't think Brees will leave New Orleans, but you don't know until you show him the money.

And for those who say why would he want to leave a playoff team to go to Buffalo, ask yourself why the Saints went to the playoffs. They went to the playoffs because of Brees, not because of the overall talent on their roster. Just like the Colts were a playoff team with Manning and stunk without him. It shows how important the qb position is.

Could we just stop this. The Buffalo Bills will never ever be able to sign a player of Drew Brees calibre. Never. Not even worth discussing.

The New Orleans Saints and quarterback Drew Brees are millons of dollars apart on a new contract as the Monday franchise tag deadline draws near, sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The two sides, both of which believe they are making a fair offer, are facing a gap of $5 million per season for the first three seasons of the proposal, sources told Schefter.

Brees, who led the Saints to their only Super Bowl championship and last season broke Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record, is seeking a contract that averages $23 million per season for the first three years of his deal, sources told Schefter.

That's the same amount Peyton Manning's Colts contract averages the first three seasons.

But the Saints are offering Brees a five-year contract that averages $18 million a year, sources told Schefter, which is the average that Manning and New England's Tom Brady are due to earn over the life of their deals.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637479/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-divided-money-first-three-years-sources-say

"Brees is coming off one of the most prolific passing seasons in NFL history, setting a single-season NFL record with 5,476 yards and leading the league with 46 touchdown passes. Brees' agent is Tom Condon of CAA Football, who negotiated Peyton Manning's $18 million per year contract with the Indianapolis Colts last July.

Given Condon's experience negotiating quarterback contracts, and Brees' importance to the Saints offense and his role in the New Orleans community, it's a surprise that particular contract hasn't been wrapped up already. Brees hasn't missed a game due to injury during his six seasons with the Saints and, after turning 33 in January, is the same age that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was when he signed a four-year, $72 million contract in 2010.

http://www.nflgridir...contract-talks/

WOW:beer::doh: I want what your on:beer::doh:

Changed my mind; Brees wants 23 million a year which is what Peyton was going to get for the next 3 years and Saints offered him 18 which is the average of Peytons and Brady's contract. This is more than fair and Brees needs to quit being so greedy. Guess he's afraid of being broke when he retires and doesn't want future players to take care of him.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian