Rodney McKissic "The Bills are gonna blow this"

PromoTheRobot

I wouldn't say just the media. How many games have you watched over the years and said the same thing. Although, I can say, with this game, when they got up 20-0 I was sure we would win. That pretty much took Charles out of the game.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. When it was 20-7 and KC stopped the Bills on the opening possession of the 3rd quarter, I ABSOLUTELY feared the worst -- a long drive to a TD and the typical Buffalo collapse.

In the 90s I learned to expect Buffalo to make the plays when it counted, but the last 11 years have taught us all to expect the opposite. That will take time to change.

Well PTR, If everyone on this board were being truthful, we all thought that at halftime....how the Hell are they going to bone this? My brother and I text through the game and we both had that thought. Rodney's a good reporter and like anyone else on the job, reporters talk sh*t to each other. The only real measure is what their article or report says. Rodney's been a solid reporter so I wouldn't hold this against him.

Edited by Green Lightning

Well PTR, If everyone on this board were being truthful, we all thought that at halftime....how the Hell are they going to bone this? My brother and I text through the game and we both had that thought. Rodney's a good reporter and like anyone else on the job, reporters talk sh*t to each other. The only real measure is what their article or report says. Rodney's been a aolid reporter so I whould hold this against him.

Agreed.

If you've seen enough Bills games, you know their penchant for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Well that is all true. I can never feel like a game is won until we are up by 30 points with 5 minutes left.

PTR

1st thing I said to my Brother-in-law at halftime was I wonder how the Bills are going to blow this one. I think that was the most impressive thing to me about Sunday. The Bills never took their foot off the gas pedal & dictated for 60 minutes how the game was going to be played. This game is all for naught though if they can not win Sunday. I am not saying the Raiders are a push over. Quite the opposite. They are a decent team fully capable of winning this Sunday. But if the Bills want to get to where they are going & dare I say make a playoff run, you simply have to protect your house & you must win games like this. Go 2-0 with the Pats coming in & the game against the Pats will be the biggest game played @ the Ralph since probably that end of the year Pittsburgh game. Got to take care of business this week though.

Well PTR, If everyone on this board were being truthful, we all thought that at halftime....how the Hell are they going to bone this? My brother and I text through the game and we both had that thought. Rodney's a good reporter and like anyone else on the job, reporters talk sh*t to each other. The only real measure is what their article or report says. Rodney's been a aolid reporter so I whould hold this against him.

I, for one, disagree with this sentiment. I was optimistic at half time that we would expand on our lead and handily beat the Chiefs. This feeling stemmed from the confidence and swagger which seemed to be emanating from all of the buffalo bills players....especially Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is a new team folks....get used to it. Not saying we're Super Bowl contenders, or even playoff contenders, but there is a different feel to this group of players, coaches, and front office guys.

The fact that this statement came from a local journalist troubles me. If McKissic feels so pessimistic about the Bills that he would say to a KC reporter "the Bills are gonna blow this" then perhaps he should go cover sports in another city. Not saying he has to be a fan of the Bills...I understand that he needs to be objective in order to do his job, but predicting a second half collapse was crossing the line....IMO.

As an optimist, I was certainly worried too. KC seemed to finally be generating a little offense in the second quarter. The fact that the Bills' offense excelled for two halves was amazing!

As someone who participates in the Yahoo pro pickem, it "seems" for the majority of games that whoever leads at the half, loses it in the second half. Especially if I've picked that team...

I think RM's reaction stems from the past 10+ years. The Bills looked good in game one, so let's enjoy and hope it continues, then you can roast the media. But now is a bit premature.

I, for one, disagree with this sentiment. I was optimistic at half time that we would expand on our lead and handily beat the Chiefs. This feeling stemmed from the confidence and swagger which seemed to be emanating from all of the buffalo bills players....especially Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is a new team folks....get used to it. Not saying we're Super Bowl contenders, or even playoff contenders, but there is a different feel to this group of players, coaches, and front office guys.

I don't disagree with you. I never assumed the Bills were going to blow it and after the third quarter i was more than convinced of their confidence, but this is a young team still. If KC had marched right down the field and scored at the start of the third, TBD woulda been on suicide watch. Its just the last few years that has happened. I don't see that attitude from this team, this team is different. Very confident and playing the us against the world card and I love it

I cannot tell a lie - I was fuming at some of Chan's 'trick-play' selections in the 2nd quarter that forced us to settled for 2 Lindell FGs that should have been Bills TDs, and that he elected to have Fitz 'take a knee' to end the half, rather than take a shot at the end-zone. I thought it should have been 35-0 and game over at the half, rather than 20-7 and the door left open for a Chief's comeback, albeit highly unlikely.

Obviously the Bills were never in danger of losing - but I had the nitro tablets close by, just in case. B-)

I cannot tell a lie - I was fuming at some of Chan's 'trick-play' selections in the 2nd quarter that forced us to settled for 2 Lindell FGs that should have been Bills TDs, and that he elected to have Fitz 'take a knee' to end the half, rather than take a shot at the end-zone. I thought it should have been 35-0 and game over at the half, rather than 20-7 and the door left open for a Chief's comeback, albeit highly unlikely.

Obviously the Bills were never in danger of losing - but I had the nitro tablets close by, just in case. B-)

Actually, KC regained momentum at the 2 minute mark, and if it wasn't Freddie literally carrying the team to that key first down, it may have been a different story. I think KC mailed it in when Freddie got the best of Johnson & Flowers.

The fact that this statement came from a local journalist troubles me. If McKissic feels so pessimistic about the Bills that he would say to a KC reporter "the Bills are gonna blow this" then perhaps he should go cover sports in another city. Not saying he has to be a fan of the Bills...I understand that he needs to be objective in order to do his job, but predicting a second half collapse was crossing the line....IMO.

Well, I've followed the team since 1963 and the "how are we going to step on it" has been played out so many times that it's just an honest feeling. If I wasn't an eternal optimist, I wouldn't be a fan for 48 years. It will take a few more wins to lose that reflex. But I wonder just how many of us long termers didn't have the fleeting thought I just expressed. Hell, I won't apologize for it, I'll just do what I do... cheer my brains out at the Ralph next week!

Right..we have to change our attitude and the Bills have to change theirs. Some teams just go into games with the idea of winning not with the idea of "not losing"....I think Gailey as a game day coach is more the winning personality and some players who have come over, Merrimon, Barnett et al, and Dareus with the SEC Alabama mentality are going to go a long way toward changing the "don't lose" attitude to a winning attitude.

Oh please give me a break with the "he crossed the line" crap.

Anyone with any type of emotional connection to this team over the years at least had the "oh **** I hope they don't blow it" thought.

This team has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory WAY more than victory from the jaws of defeat. It's totally normal and completely acceptable to be skeptical at this point. I've been burned way too many times to allow one game to immediately change a decade of losing, but I'm optimistic.

RTB

Right..we have to change our attitude and the Bills have to change theirs. Some teams just go into games with the idea of winning not with the idea of "not losing"....I think Gailey as a game day coach is more the winning personality and some players who have come over, Merrimon, Barnett et al, and Dareus with the SEC Alabama mentality are going to go a long way toward changing the "don't lose" attitude to a winning attitude.

tennessee, my memory isn't great, but I think I posted something similar to this right after this year's draft -- basically, that the Bills were drafting players who were stars at big-time programs who experienced big-time TEAM success. That's the culture shift they needed.

Cognitive dissonance is the perception of incompatibility between two cognitions, which can be defined as any element of knowledge, including attitude, emotion, belief, or behavior. The theory of cognitive dissonance holds that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance (conflict) between cognitions. Experiments have attempted to quantify this hypothetical drive."

Wikipedia (2006)

When they say that this theory is so predictable...that's because it is.

But, for the record...I was screaming for them to stay in bounds/no throws/run the football...when there was 5 minutes left in the game. :D

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Well PTR, If everyone on this board were being truthful, we all thought that at halftime....how the Hell are they going to bone this? My brother and I text through the game and we both had that thought. Rodney's a good reporter and like anyone else on the job, reporters talk sh*t to each other. The only real measure is what their article or report says. Rodney's been a solid reporter so I wouldn't hold this against him.

I know what your saying, in the past I would have thought that. For some reason I wasn't worried they were going to blow it.

First of all he is a journalist.

He is welcome to SAY his opinion to anyone, as long as he WRITES the facts.

I would rather that, then what we get so much of these days, Editorials in the 'sports' or 'news' sections.

And yes, I have been turned into a pesimist when it comes to the Bills. Sorry but it started with Norwoods FG and has been backed up time and time again.

At the end of the third QT, i knew the game was in hand. Relaxed, and drank beer and thought today couldn't get any better.

I knew we would win from the !@#$ing opening kick

While normally I always think there will be some way the Bills can and will blow it, after the opening KO at no time did I think we were going to lose. That was a strange feeling.

I guess we're in the minority along with JohnnyHammersticks.

I had to work so I avoided finding out the outcome of the game. I watched the DVR with my wife (who also didn't know the outcome) and I just asked her and she agrees with me… there was never a moment during watching the game where we felt the Bills were gonna spit this one up.

I had predicted the Bills winning 30-17 so I was expecting them to win and they were playing so well, I never felt threatened by KC.

Having said all this, I have to say I'm surprised I didn't feel that familiar feeling that we all know too well. It was strange watching a Bills game with a complete sense of confidence that they were going to win.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. When it was 20-7 and KC stopped the Bills on the opening possession of the 3rd quarter, I ABSOLUTELY feared the worst -- a long drive to a TD and the typical Buffalo collapse.

In the 90s I learned to expect Buffalo to make the plays when it counted, but the last 11 years have taught us all to expect the opposite. That will take time to change.

100% agree. I said to my wife at halftime that I hate that feeling in my stomach when we have a nice lead and I am just dreading us finding a way to blow it.

Same here 4500 miles away from Buffalo.

At halftime I said to my girlfriend How, this time, are they going to !@#$ this one.

The worst that could happen for me was with 4 minutes left and 3 points ahead being intercepted/fumbled for a TD and then a 4 and out.

Instead of that my internet connection !@#$ed for 5min in the 3rd quarter, atm I was upset, but I sensed that for a good presage ; if this is my connection, that won't be the Bills.

So I can say I saved your day 0:)

uhhhh, may be for you when it counted, but not when it counted the most

This right on. i always knew kelly was going to come up with something, or in the case of the comeback, reich. watched that game at casa di pizza and most people were swearing and talking about next year, but i really believed they'd win. completely irrational.

now i really believe they'll lose. not totally irrational, but it can be. i bet twenty bucks on the chiefs game with my buddy and he was surrendering at halftime. i kept telling him he wasn't out of it.

last week was nice. do that a few more times and maybe the doom will wash away from my mind.