Torell Troup is Horrible

papazoid

i isolated and watched every move/play when he was on the field. he gets absolutely no push.....he's not gonna make it in this league....heck, Kellen Heard played better than Troup.....troup did make two nice plays later in the game against the third stringers, but when he was in early against the starters, he did nothing. i don't care what he did in the off season, he looks weak. the only positive thing i saw, was a technique issue change from last year, where he has stopped the bending of his left knee, which put all of his weight on his right side. he now attempts leverage in a balanced stance, but he still gets zero push.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SWITCH JASPER BACK!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Troup going to IR and the Bills opting to elevate Dotson from the PS to the Active Roster yet again tells me that everyone's Boy Jasper isn't ready to help this team.

Potential doesn't help a team on Sundays. He might be able to help us in the future, but clearly not yet as is evidenced by this slight again today.

With Troup going to IR and the Bills opting to elevate Dotson from the PS to the Active Roster yet again tells me that everyone's Boy Jasper isn't ready to help this team.

Potential doesn't help a team on Sundays. He might be able to help us in the future, but clearly not yet as is evidenced by this slight again today.

Jasper doesn't play D-line

He doesnt kick either but that Lindell to IR thread as the OP hopeful that Jasper could be elevated to take Lindell's roster spot.

Everybody needs to understand that if Chan thought Jasper was a guy who could play at the NFL level this year he'd be on the Active Roster. Again, he is passed over. Again, people will be upset and clamoring for Jasper all week.

Can't wait until begining of next season, were going to hear how troup played injured all year, and that why he wasn't effective, and in the off season he add 30 ibs of muscle, he worked on making his core stronger etc, etc, and he's ready to compete for a starting job. Like fools we'll all by into it, have about 20 guys on IR by week 12, go 6-10 next year, and start the coach and GM search all over again, and Ralph will thanks us for our support if he still alive.

no way Buddy admits a mistake.....they will let him play out his rookie contract..

7/28/2010: Signed a four-year, $4.61 million contract. The deal contains $2.6 million guaranteed. 2011: $405,000, 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent

Isn't that the excuse people made about why Maybin wasn't playing? I have zero trust that this team has any clue on how to evaluate or coach players on D

Can't wait until begining of next season, were going to hear how troup played injured all year, and that why he wasn't effective, and in the off season he add 30 ibs of muscle, he worked on making his core stronger etc, etc, and he's ready to compete for a starting job. Like fools we'll all by into it, have about 20 guys on IR by week 12, go 6-10 next year, and start the coach and GM search all over again, and Ralph will thanks us for our support if he still alive.

You rookie...you get it. :thumbsup:

I hate when we drafted him. There were better DT's on the board than him. But I just shrugged and said "well, this is Nix/Gailey and not Jauron/Brandon or Marv. They must think he's a better fit".

Almost two years later, it looks like an even worse pick than I thought at the time :/

At that spot, I thought it would be Gronkowski...talk about haunting the Bills now. Anyway, I thought if they went DT, Linvall Joseph would be better...now he's with the Giants, but I am not sure he is doing more than TT...

He doesnt kick either but that Lindell to IR thread as the OP hopeful that Jasper could be elevated to take Lindell's roster spot.

Everybody needs to understand that if Chan thought Jasper was a guy who could play at the NFL level this year he'd be on the Active Roster. Again, he is passed over. Again, people will be upset and clamoring for Jasper all week.

Perhaps you didn't understand the earlier post correcting you. Jasper was switched to the offensive line… which is where he played in college. The Bills tried him at OT but currently he is practicing at guard.

At that spot, I thought it would be Gronkowski...talk about haunting the Bills now. Anyway, I thought if they went DT, Linvall Joseph would be better...now he's with the Giants, but I am not sure he is doing more than TT...

Yeah, Joseph has definitely shown more than Troup. Interestingly he like Troup, played in Conference USA.

What a horrible 2010 draft by nix and crew.

The 2010 Draft is not looking good right now.

I'm hoping (without knowing) that some of that has to do with the now deposed Tom Modrak still being the director of college scouting at the time.

I hate when we drafted him. There were better DT's on the board than him. But I just shrugged and said "well, this is Nix/Gailey and not Jauron/Brandon or Marv. They must think he's a better fit".

Almost two years later, it looks like an even worse pick than I thought at the time :/

Kinda bored here at the Office so I decided to go back and look at some Draft Rankings and Reports from 2010...it was some interesting reading...Anyway...

Lets first look at the circumstances under which Troup was Picked...It seems The Bills were going to take a NT at #41...Like I said in another thread they knew at the time what we have all come to understand...While being an REAL good player, Kyle Williams is not a 3-4 NT...So The Bills were going to take a 3-4 NT at #41 it seems come hell or high water, and while Troup was clearly not ranked that high by just about everyone on the earth other than the Buffalo Bills, when you look at the pure 3-4 NT's it was either Troup or Terrence Cody at this point of the Draft because Dan Williams went at #26 Overall...The Bills opted for Troup...And he did not come without some serious intangibles...While most Rankings had him as a 3rd-4th round talent most Scouts were pretty positive about his potential as a Starting 3-4 Nose...Believe me I've looked for the negative reports, and they simply were not there...At least for the most part...Though I do know plenty of folks felt it was a reach taking him at #41 after-the-fact...Still more often than not he got good, solid grades...Just not #41 overall grades...

Which leads me to believe that Troup has basically been playing hurt most of his Pro career...We all know about the lingering back issue, the broken hand...I don't think this is the Kid I read about whatsoever...Regardless of where he was picked...He was supposed to be a super-strong (34 reps at the Combine), 2 gap player who would not wow anyone with Pass Rush abilities but would plug the middle and fight the double team...He's just not that Kid, and he has not been that Kid...And I think rather than to say he stinks, it's more logical to assume he's just got a bad back...

Hindsight is always 20/20...But Buddy should have simply read TSW...Because there were a BUNCH of Folks right here who agreed with me at the time...And I wanted Cody... ;)

So, I am aware of Jasper's current position on the offensive side of the ball. I am also aware that you do not have to IR a player and then sign a player of the same to position to the Active Roster. You can put anyone on the Active Roster when you send a player to IR or to waivers. My point in all of this is that Jasper isn't ready, he was a luxury pick at the back end of the 7th round. A guy can dunk and launch a medicine ball and we think he is our saviour. If he was, he'd have been pulled up to the Active Roster. He hasn't been. We have made dozens of moves this season, none of which have involved Jasper being put on the Active Roster because he is not capable of helping this team right now, not on offense, not on defense, not on special teams. He is a project. I'm tired of hearing his name every day. Yeah, lets cut a guy who can play on Sundays for a guy who can't play on Sundays. Good logic.

KOK,

Nice post and pretty accurate.

Here's a few extra points:

There were a small group of posters (the "trench builder school of thought") who wanted the Bills to consider Dan Williams with the #9 pick.

So far he's been a pretty big disappointment too, as the 26th pick of that draft.

Also, many teams felt that there was an inherent risk in taking a guy like Cody, who regardless, was by far the best nose tackle in the draft. His struggles keeping his weight down and the marginal weight and conditioning that he showed at the Senior Bowl and the Combine scared some teams off. There's a picture of Cody on my profile page… he was a tub or lard BUT a dominating football player in spite of that.

Wish we would have drafted him.

Perhaps you didn't understand the earlier post correcting you. Jasper was switched to the offensive line… which is where he played in college. The Bills tried him at OT but currently he is practicing at guard.

Yeah, Joseph has definitely shown more than Troup. Interestingly he like Troup, played in Conference USA.

The 2010 Draft is not looking good right now.

I'm hoping (without knowing) that some of that has to do with the now deposed Tom Modrak still being the director of college scouting at the time.

I've been hoping for this as well. Given the SEC lovefest the Bills (rightfully) poured into the 2011 draft, there was definitely a slight variation in draft day tone from 2010 to 2011. The optimism in me tells me that 2011 was the first draft free from Modrak's finger prints.

If that's the case, between Dareus, Williams and Hairston alone, the draft is already looking better than 2010.

Add to it the intrigue of players like Sheppard and S'earcy, and 2011 is FAR superior to 2010, especially considering the 2010 equivalents of Sheppard and S'earcy are Matten and Moats, two guys we took a flyer on that didn't play for major college programs and have so far demonstrated themselves to be situational, at best.

I've been hoping for this as well. Given the SEC lovefest the Bills (rightfully) poured into the 2011 draft, there was definitely a slight variation in draft day tone from 2010 to 2011. The optimism in me tells me that 2011 was the first draft free from Modrak's finger prints.

If that's the case, between Dareus, Williams and Hairston alone, the draft is already looking better than 2010.

Add to it the intrigue of players like Sheppard and S'earcy, and 2011 is FAR superior to 2010, especially considering the 2010 equivalents of Sheppard and S'earcy are Matten and Moats, two guys we took a flyer on that didn't play for major college programs and have so far demonstrated themselves to be situational, at best.

This is a point I've made elsewhere: We need to stop drafting combine freaks from the low-rent districts of college football; that is, places like Richmond, James Madison, Troy State, South Dakota St., Central Florida, etc., and go after major program people. Yes, there will always be exceptions--in both directions (e.g. Arron Maybin on the negative side, Fred Jackson on the positive ledger, etc.)--but big time school & conference players are generally going to be better investments over the long haul.

I'll give exhibit A: David Nelson, non-starter at Florida, but able to adapt pretty quickly to the NFL.

Don't tell Buddy--he drafted him as DT.

He was switched to OT when put on the PS.

So, I am aware of Jasper's current position on the offensive side of the ball. I am also aware that you do not have to IR a player and then sign a player of the same to position to the Active Roster. You can put anyone on the Active Roster when you send a player to IR or to waivers. My point in all of this is that Jasper isn't ready, he was a luxury pick at the back end of the 7th round. A guy can dunk and launch a medicine ball and we think he is our saviour. If he was, he'd have been pulled up to the Active Roster. He hasn't been. We have made dozens of moves this season, none of which have involved Jasper being put on the Active Roster because he is not capable of helping this team right now, not on offense, not on defense, not on special teams. He is a project. I'm tired of hearing his name every day. Yeah, lets cut a guy who can play on Sundays for a guy who can't play on Sundays. Good logic.

A luxury pick at the end of the 7th round? Is there such a thing? I mean, it is the seventh round.

Edited by todd

This is a point I've made elsewhere: We need to stop drafting combine freaks from the low-rent districts of college football; that is, places like Richmond, James Madison, Troy State, South Dakota St., Central Florida, etc., and go after major program people. Yes, there will always be exceptions--in both directions (e.g. Arron Maybin on the negative side, Fred Jackson on the positive ledger, etc.)--but big time school & conference players are generally going to be better investments over the long haul.

I'll give exhibit A: David Nelson, non-starter at Florida, but able to adapt pretty quickly to the NFL.

I think it also lessens the "crap shoot" nature of the draft. Much more likely to hit on a guy who contributed to two national championships than a guy who was a big fish in a little pond.

Talk to any big Gator fan, and they'll tell you how important Nelson was to those teams. The name "Mr. Clutch" escaped the lips of a HARD CORE Florida fan I know. I thought...hmmm...funny how things DON'T change...

I agree there is a HUGE difference between the the 2010 and 2011 draft. Mordaks subsequent firing and the stark contrast must not be a conincidence.

2011 has already been the best draft in a while. The first five picks have all contributed this year and played pretty well as rookies and started numerous games. There is not 1 player from 2010 who started their second year as #1 on the depth chart. Shep, Williams and Hairsten all look like they are firmly entrenched in the starting line up as rookies, Darius is what a first rounder should be. A few more drafts like this one and we can possibly conclude Mordak was in fact the cornerstone of the lost decade

It's a textbook case of the Bills' drafting philosophy. Rather than draft the obvious talent, one who has competed against the very best, the Bills reached in choosing a tackle who was considered a 3rd rounder at best and played for a smaller school.

Lamarr Houston literally fell to their lap – he was dominant at Texas – and instead the Bills' took the lesser known, less capable talent.

Asked why he didn't make the obvious choice, Modrak stated:

“Those guys were in a bunch and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” said Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak. “We liked Troup the best of the bunch, but that doesn’t mean that the other guys weren’t in the mix. It was a good group in that area.”

Instead, Lamarr Houston has developed into a great young talent for the resurgent Raiders while Troup languishes on the Bills' sideline.

Same story with McCargo, Whitner, and the bevy of wasted picks that have haunted this franchise.

Edited by Dawgg

It's a textbook case of the Bills' drafting philosophy. Rather than draft the obvious talent, one who has competed against the very best, the Bills reached in choosing a tackle who was considered a 3rd rounder at best and played for a smaller school.

Lamarr Houston literally fell tot heir lap – he was dominant at Texas – and instead the Bills' took the lesser known, less capable talent.

Asked why he didn't make the obvious choice, Modrak stated:

“Those guys were in a bunch and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” said Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak. “We liked Troup the best of the bunch, but that doesn’t mean that the other guys weren’t in the mix. It was a good group in that area.”

Instead, Lamarr Houston has developed into a great young talent for the resurgent Raiders while Troup languishes on the Bills' sideline.

Same story with McCargo, Whitner, and the bevy of wasted picks that have haunted this franchise throughout the Modrak era.

I make the subtle correction based on the sidebar conversation that's happening here...

I think the new question arising is whether the 2011 philosophy of drafting from big name, big program schools that WON football games throughout our draftees' college careers is more likely to "hit" than whatever philosophy was steering the ship prior to 2011.

Personally, I don't think there's a single recipe for success, but if what I just laid out has in fact become the driving philosophy, it seems like the hit to miss ratio (from the Bills standpoint) will sky rocket in the short term, but then rest steadily in our favor moving forward. We might not find any rookie standouts this way, but we'll consistently get SOLID players who know how to win. Think bell curve. Some big hits, some big whiffs, lots of legitimate talent in between.

I am to the point now where I am willing to concede that the 2010 draft was not good for us overall (I hope that these players do develop into at least "reliable backups"

Spiller.....I was really expecting more from him this past weekend and have been in his corner.....as I watched him play it became maddening to me to see him get stopped (for the most part) at the slightest contact....unable to keep his balance....bounce off a tackle....and break one. the speed is there.....the willingness to run between the tackles is improving...the pass protection is also improving.....but as he got to his 20ith something carry and still under 50 yards or so I am like...."ok just feed him the ball 20 more times and maybe he gets 100 yards on the day" the jets run defense has not been dom this year

Troupe.....when we drafted him I thought I saw a lunch pail work eithic guy who had enough athleticsm to not just be considered a run plugger.....well he isn't even a consistant run plugger and something seems to be missing (even when healthy)....I dont want a DT that chases plays downfield from behind....I want a guy that stops them from getting to that point. Then you have guys like Heard who wasn't even drafted come in and outplay him. Once again....its hard to judge a player when he is injured.....but its not looking good right now. Just watch....Dotson is going to come in and provide a missing interior pass rush to help out Darius......another undrafted guy.

Carrington....EASILY my biggest dissapoint from this draft because to me he had big time potential written all over him as a 3-4 defensive end......and he isn't making ANY plays.....I know that DE's in a 3-4 are not sack masters....but they ARE pocket collapsers....and we are not getting ANY PRESSURE at all....NONE.....

This years draft looks like it is so much better then 2010......keep drafting the SEC guys Buddy.

There is no way of telling if Troup is "Horrible" yet or not. Don't you think a bad back that has forced him to IR and him having to have surgery on it can affect the "Push" that he gets. No he has not done anything since we drafted him, but everyone was raving about the great off-season he had and then he broke his hand. The back is a problem he has had since college and now that he is getting it fixed, who knows how good he can be. Just a little premature calling the guy horrible already.

KOK,

Nice post and pretty accurate.

Here's a few extra points:

There were a small group of posters (the "trench builder school of thought") who wanted the Bills to consider Dan Williams with the #9 pick.

So far he's been a pretty big disappointment too, as the 26th pick of that draft.

Also, many teams felt that there was an inherent risk in taking a guy like Cody, who regardless, was by far the best nose tackle in the draft. His struggles keeping his weight down and the marginal weight and conditioning that he showed at the Senior Bowl and the Combine scared some teams off. There's a picture of Cody on my profile page… he was a tub or lard BUT a dominating football player in spite of that.

Wish we would have drafted him.

Agreed...

No question Cody was boom or bust...And he had quite a big bust...But I digress... ;)

Thing is here we are again...A Prospect we pass on turns around and becomes a player for the Ravens...In the case of Cody, reports have him down to 335!!! Now here's a Kid we obviously passed on because of his off-field red-flags...Which is understandable...I say we passed on him for that reason because I'm assuming The Bills agreed with everyone else under the sun that felt like IF Cody dedicated himself and got in better shape he was not only the best NT in the 2010 Draft, he had the potential to be the best NT in the NFL...But we do so as an Organization because we have zero faith in our ability to get through to a Kid like Cody...And you know what? My guess is Cody would have come to Buffalo and gotten fatter, because that's just the way things go around OBD... :cry:

Searcy is getting baked out there. I think Moats could have more impact.

He was switched to OT when put on the PS.

Doen't matter what they call a guy on the 8 man PS. He was clearly drafted as D-limeman.

Troup thus far has been a disappointment, but it would be foolish to toss him to the scrap heap at this point. DT typically takes a bit for collegiate players to learn, and often times it can take those players a few years to fully grasp their position. We're talking about a guy who played some as a rookie and then had his second year washed out by injury.

He may never develop, but it would be the height of stupidity to release him, especially when there isn't currently a realistic upgrade on the roster. At the very least, let him get healthy, bring in some competition, and make him fight for a job in camp next year.

Wait until he gets the cast off. Reportedly it should come off before the opener.

"Cast off" is exactly what I think of.

Troup is an :oops: we'll be filling in the draft with this guy, Worthy, or Ta'Amu:

Edited by Astrobot

What a joke this is. The kid has to have surgery on his back. Did any of you white collar workers ever have a bad back ? I mean a back that needed surgery ,but you still work with it physically . You can`t do the same work or lift or bend the same. The kid was trying to do his job ,but couldn`t.He is probably done and I feel for the kid. But I`d say he was trying ,but was limited bigtime.

To touch on a few comments upthread.

Troup is signed through the end of 2013. His base salaries are low and his signing bonus is guaranteed. Like Merriman, there's no point in even thinking about jettisoning him because he's under contract for next year.

Let's not hate on a player who has always been considered a high-character guy… a guy who lives clean, tries hard, and does his best. If his career fails due to a bad back, it's just a damn shame… nothing more, nothing less.

Should the Bills have drafted someone else? Perhaps… and that's on them.

Does it look like on balance that the 2010 draft was not/will not be a good one? Yes it definitely looks that way.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

To touch on a few comments upthread.

Troup is signed through the end of 2013. His base salaries are low and his signing bonus is guaranteed. Like Merriman, there's no point in even thinking about jettisoning him because he's under contract for next year.

Let's not hate on a player who has always been considered a high-character guy… a guy who lives clean, tries hard, and does his best. If his career fails due to a bad back, it's just a damn shame… nothing more, nothing less.

Should the Bills have drafted someone else? Perhaps… and that's on them.

Does it look like on balance that the 2010 draft was not/will not be a good one? Yes it definitely looks that way.

Dead-On.

Troup to IR is not surprising. He was another pic of Nix. Have to learn to set the expectation low so that you won't be dissapointed. Spiller is a bust. Troup is a bust. Hiring of Edwards as OC is a bust. Even if Spiller has one break out game, so what? He has still proven he cannot read defenses and cannot run between the tackles. Poor man Reggie Bush/untility player. Troup was another reach. Let's see what Nix does in his 3rd year.