Torell Troup is Horrible

papazoid

i isolated and watched every move/play when he was on the field. he gets absolutely no push.....he's not gonna make it in this league....heck, Kellen Heard played better than Troup.....troup did make two nice plays later in the game against the third stringers, but when he was in early against the starters, he did nothing. i don't care what he did in the off season, he looks weak. the only positive thing i saw, was a technique issue change from last year, where he has stopped the bending of his left knee, which put all of his weight on his right side. he now attempts leverage in a balanced stance, but he still gets zero push.

Edited by papazoid

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy's first draft is looking like a bust.

I wouldn't say a bust, but it doesn't look like there are any home runs. Carrington, Moats, Easley, Batten and Troup all look like possible starters/backups. Carrington, Easley or Batten may even be starting by year's end. That's not bad for their second year. I also think that Moats is being misused.

Carrying on bills tradition of early round busts/disappointments but finding value in later rounds

That's what I was just going to reply to Vince with. You need to hit an early round home run more than once in ten years (so you can trade him for a 4th rounder of course)

Carrying on bills tradition of early round busts/disappointments but finding value in later rounds

The only reason we find "starters" in the later rounds is because our players really aren't that good. Truth is, these "starters" usually wouldn't be starting on most other teams. These "great finds" become starters more out of necessity. Someone has to start and they can't all be free agents.

That said, the other strange thing is that usually NFL teams usually have a greater likelihood of finding quality players in the earlier rounds. As the rounds increase, this probability usually diminishes. Not so with the Bills. If the probability of finding a starter, regardless of the round, remains equal, then it appears these selections are just random guesses, rather than educated/researched guesses.

It's more of a crap shoot in the later rounds, IMO. So, I would attribute early round failure to ineptitude and late round success to dumb luck...

Bulls eye.

Edited by kas23

i isolated and watched every move/play when he was on the field. he gets absolutely no push.....he's not gonna make it in this league....heck, Kellen Heard played better than Troup.....troup did make two nice plays later in the game against the third stringers, but when he was in early against the starters, he did nothing. i don't care what he did in the off season, he looks weak. the only positive thing i saw, was a technique issue change from last year, where he has stopped the bending of his left knee, which put all of his weight on his right side. he now attempts leverage in a balanced stance, but he still gets zero push.

I'm sorry I will be the first in this thread to disagree. Troup had at least one awesome drive where he was responsible for a sack on one play, a loss on another and containment on a third down that resulted in a three and out if i'm not mistaken, So ya whatever. I guess the guy blows or my own lying eyes at the game are really bad.

Oh by the way, I also noticed that the white cast was off but he had a bulky black cast still on for this game. I;m sorry I will withold judgement on him until after this season. I do not think he is a bust and I think he will be a solid player.

2010 draft class going into their second season features 0 starters. Can't call it a complete waste, but Spiller is a role player, Troup struggles, Carrington is being used as a super hybrid LB in sub-packages, Easley will get the nod because they have nothing but bodies at WR, and Batten and Moats are depth at this point. For a still rebuilding team, I'd expect them to have some of their 2nd year players starting.

Well, Buddy has a much higher rate of success drafting in the top 5.

2010 draft class going into their second season features 0 starters. Can't call it a complete waste, but Spiller is a role player, Troup struggles, Carrington is being used as a super hybrid LB in sub-packages, Easley will get the nod because they have nothing but bodies at WR, and Batten and Moats are depth at this point. For a still rebuilding team, I'd expect them to have some of their 2nd year players starting.

Well, Buddy has a much higher rate of success drafting in the top 5.

"Dude I know we haven't had anything to cheer about in a decade, but I think you're being a little negative." who ever said that was spot on with you.

I didn't see the game but when reading the first media reports of who played well for the Bills in the game guess whose name was there? Troup's!

Now, unlike many who post here I do not keep track of each person's opinions but there have been a few Troup detractors from Day One and perhaps that has been your chosen role.

In this thread there is a report from someone who also watched the game and reflects that Troup held his own against double teams and that he did a good job filling up the middle of the line. NT's are not statistic creators but a key role is to take on more than one lineman so that at least one of their teammates is unblocked.

Troup came into camp in super shape before suffering his hand injury. I am going to rely on all of the media reports rather than a headliner here who chooses to say that Troup is horrible.

Of course we will all know what the coaches have to say in 48 hours.

I didn't see the game but when reading the first media reports of who played well for the Bills in the game guess whose name was there? Troup's!

Now, unlike many who post here I do not keep track of each person's opinions but there have been a few Troup detractors from Day One and perhaps that has been your chosen role.

In this thread there is a report from someone who also watched the game and reflects that Troup held his own against double teams and that he did a good job filling up the middle of the line. NT's are not statistic creators but a key role is to take on more than one lineman so that at least one of their teammates is unblocked.

Troup came into camp in super shape before suffering his hand injury. I am going to rely on all of the media reports rather than a headliner here who chooses to say that Troup is horrible.

You have to take people's "expert opinions" here with a grain of salt. The true test is how they perform during the season.

Well I hope they're right. It is hard to isolate on one player especially If you're not there at the game. But it seems he plays the position "soft" to me.

Should have hit those squats instead of the AB-wheel, Jared Veldheer would be looking good at LT right about now.

I wouldn't say a bust, but it doesn't look like there are any home runs. Carrington, Moats, Easley, Batten and Troup all look like possible starters/backups. Carrington, Easley or Batten may even be starting by year's end. That's not bad for their second year. I also think that Moats is being misused.

+10

It's threads like this that continually remind me not to take anything or anyone around here seriously. One guy says Troup should be cut and is a bust, there's some piling on from the usual suspects, and then a couple of guys respond with specific details of how Troup was effective while playing with the ones.

Unreal. Let's let the guy get a cast off so he can actually, like, use both hands, ok?

It's threads like this that continually remind me not to take anything or anyone around here seriously. One guy says Troup should be cut and is a bust, there's some piling on from the usual suspects, and then a couple of guys respond with specific details of how Troup was effective while playing with the ones.

Unreal. Let's let the guy get a cast off so he can actually, like, use both hands, ok?

This.

he was absolutely NOT effective with the ones.....i isolated on him with binoculars on every single play. he got zero push and was easily handled one on one, which is how they blocked him most of the time. did he get double teamed a couple times? yes.....did he make a couple plays against the scrubs later in game? yes (one near safety in particular).....but kyle williams did not play.....Troup got alot of action early on and only came out (with Andra Davis) in obvious passing situations. against the first string he played horrible. he was a complete bust last year and he doesn't look much better this year. i know the faithful will want to give him time to develop, but just like McCargo and Maybin, it doesn't look good for Troup.

Should have hit those squats instead of the AB-wheel, Jared Veldheer would be looking good at LT right about now.

I was yelling 'Gronkowski! Gronkowski!'

Chen doesnt like his TEs it seems. Lamarr Houston or B Spikes were both good and other options. O well, hes beter than Spiller.

With Maybin gone, the haters have to turn elsewhere, therefore we find this thread.

Yep. Modraks gone, hello Overdorf. If nothing else, they are consistent.

Unreal is right. At least the Spiller is a bust crowd has died down for now. Except for Thoner of course.

I went to the game. I'm pretty sure i saw Troup break up a run play in the backfield. There also was a nice QB pressure in the endzone in which the Lions backup got hit and threw the ball downfield over the middle incomplete. I thought Troup was in on that. I could be wrong. On the state sheet they listed him w/ 1 tackle, 1 assist, and 1 Qb hit.

I was watching the D-line early on though. The Lions were getting rid of the ball really quick. There wasn't any opportunity for pressure and the Bills weren't blitzing. Except for the one downfield throw.

I have not seen the most recent Lions game. I have not been impressed with Troupe though. He looks like and unathletic blob to me. Doesn't get of the ball quick and doesn't get push. Weak and slow. Just a big fat man from UCF. He is supposed to be strong and this year he is supposed to be quicker. I will give him a shot in the regular season before piling on. But I'm with those who say it doesn't look great at the current time.

he was absolutely NOT effective with the ones.....i isolated on him with binoculars on every single play. he got zero push and was easily handled one on one, which is how they blocked him most of the time. did he get double teamed a couple times? yes.....did he make a couple plays against the scrubs later in game? yes (one near safety in particular).....but kyle williams did not play.....Troup got alot of action early on and only came out (with Andra Davis) in obvious passing situations. against the first string he played horrible. he was a complete bust last year and he doesn't look much better this year. i know the faithful will want to give him time to develop, but just like McCargo and Maybin, it doesn't look good for Troup.

Man, that's some great binocular skills you have. I don't think I'd be able to glean that much info with all the bodies flying around holding binoculars from a great distance. With your honing in on Troup every play, did you find any time to take a look at the other players? And just how many snaps did the first unit get? just curious.

Man, that's some great binocular skills you have. I don't think I'd be able to glean that much info with all the bodies flying around holding binoculars from a great distance. With your honing in on Troup every play, did you find any time to take a look at the other players? And just how many snaps did the first unit get? just curious.

The truly amazing thing is that while Mr. Singularly Focused Binocular Man fixated on Troup, the first team defense did a good job with the exception of the one pass completion of holding Detroit in check. Is it possible ... could it be within the realm of the role of a NT that Troup's play in the middle allowed the rest of the D to be effective? Again, NT's don't always get the stat's but they fill a special role in taking up blockers and filling up the middle of the line. Troup seems to have had at least a few plays where he did some things according to others who were watching the entire game rather than just eye-balling one guy at the start of the game.

I know when I go to the game I am trying to watch all of the action and perhaps focus in on individual players for one play but then watch how the entire team is doing. But, I guess some are looking to find anything that is usable in the 'toss em to the wolves' discussions here.

The truly amazing thing is that while Mr. Singularly Focused Binocular Man fixated on Troup, the first team defense did a good job with the exception of the one pass completion of holding Detroit in check. Is it possible ... could it be within the realm of the role of a NT that Troup's play in the middle allowed the rest of the D to be effective? Again, NT's don't always get the stat's but they fill a special role in taking up blockers and filling up the middle of the line. Troup seems to have had at least a few plays where he did some things according to others who were watching the entire game rather than just eye-balling one guy at the start of the game.

I know when I go to the game I am trying to watch all of the action and perhaps focus in on individual players for one play but then watch how the entire team is doing. But, I guess some are looking to find anything that is usable in the 'toss em to the wolves' discussions here.

I agree. If he was playing NT in a 3-4 formation, he wouldn't necessarily be expected to get push, and shouldn't be evaluated based on that.

Really? I am ok with him at this point of development even with a cast on. And you're going to compare him to McCargo or Maybin? Give me a break.

That's what I was just going to reply to Vince with. You need to hit an early round home run more than once in ten years (so you can trade him for a 4th rounder of course)

If you are referring to Evans, he was a decent pick but very far from a home run. It wasn't the greatest draft, but we passed on Wilfork and Carey. Posters on this board were screaming for both of them, particularly R.Rich and BADOLBILZ.

It will never cease to amaze me how year after year, posters on a message board have better draft records than the Bills General Managers. It would seem impossible.