How about that Evans

Sanners

"Evans!!!!!! Damnit, I should've drafted him in my FFL. I drafted Boldin instead. :'("

let me see...should we maybe all just crawl into a hole and die? This ranks up there for those of you who remember with trading Darryl Lamonica and Glen Bass...but come to think of it we did get Tom Flores.....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The desperate Vikings gave up a 3rd for future HoFer Randy Moss.

The Pats got him from the Raiders for a 4th.

Ochocinco (a much more productive and respected WR) was traded out of a desperate situation for a 5th and 6th.

Since you are already based in reality with your assessment of "He was a good second receiver who runs deep but will not go over the middle" HOW in the world do you expect the Bills to get anything higher than a 4th for him???

As I said, I am not in love with him as some here.

Nevertheless, to me, Evans probably would be more valuable to us than the guy we are likely to pick with a low fourth round pick.

I watched about five minutes of that game so I am not sure which play you are talking about. Nevertheless, I watched every minute of Lee Evans' career as a Bill. He NEVER reminded me of Andre Reed going over the middle. Why? Because he was not the kind of guy who went over the middle (for whatever reason). For the sake of his career, I always said that he could really improve himself if he went over the middle. It would help him on every other route.

Just sayin.

He did last night. Just sayin.

Let me settle the over the middle problem...

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Redskins-QB-situation-remains-unsolved-2142234.php

He catches the ball in the end zone....I don't think you get points for catching the ball over the middle, but do get some for getting past that last white line where the goal posts are...and Evans was and is pretty good at that...So far this year we aren't doing a lot of that.

"Evans!!!!!! Damnit, I should've drafted him in my FFL. I drafted Boldin instead. :'("

let me see...should we maybe all just crawl into a hole and die? This ranks up there for those of you who remember with trading Darryl Lamonica and Glen Bass...but come to think of it we did get Tom Flores.....

LOL, Tenny. I was a kid but I remember it well. LOVE the Tom Flores reference.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Redskins-QB-situation-remains-unsolved-2142234.php

He catches the ball in the end zone....I don't think you get points for catching the ball over the middle, but do get some for getting past that last white line where the goal posts are...and Evans was and is pretty good at that...So far this year we aren't doing a lot of that.

The irony is the Ravens let Heap and Mason go in a "salary cap purge" yet were able to pick up Lee Evans at $3M per year and the Bills sit $25M under the cap. The Bills could have easily kept Evans and if they did not think he was playing well sat him.

I do not think people are upset b/c they think Evans is a Hall of Famer. They are upset b/c he is a very good player on a team that lacks them and creates even more holes on a team already full of swiss cheese!! Using the same philosophy of trading Evans they should trade for Fred Jackson too. Trading for a 4th rounder gives you a less than 10% chance of finding a player of equal value to Lee. Therefore, it was a very dumb trade.

This excerpt says it all and should probably end this thread (but I know it won't!).

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/08/26/boldin-evans-combo-goes-deep/

Wideouts Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans combined for eight receptions for 133 yards and two touchdowns Thursday night against the Washington Redskins, providing the comeback firepower in Baltimore’s 34-31 victory.

It’s never been easy for the historically defensive-geared Ravens to climb back from deficits before.

But with Boldin and Evans, it seems more possible in the future.

“Quick strike ability, you have to have it,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “Once you get in that high red zone, that 20 to 35-yard area, that’s a nice area to score from. Guys like Lee, that’s what they do.”

The two wideouts complemented each other well Thursday. Boldin worked the intermediate-to-long crossing routes and showed his physical nature. Lee flashed his blazing speed.

“He’s the guy that pretty much takes the top off of defenses, opens up everything underneath for guys like myself and Ray Rice and other guys,” Boldin said.

Quarterback Joe Flacco had Boldin deep a couple times in the team’s last preseason game against Kansas City but overthrew him twice. This time, the pair showed their strong connection.

Flacco hit Boldin for gains of 18 and 30 yards on their first touchdown drive. Boldin got open behind the Redskins’ zone defense and Flacco lobbed the perfect pass over the defense’s head to the veteran.

Flacco then hit Boldin for a 12-yard touchdown in the third quarter that tied the score at 21. The Ravens’ top target, who finished with five receptions for 73 yards, toe-tapped in the back of the end zone.

Boldin said he and Flacco spend a little time after practices making sure they’re on the same page and both attest that their chemistry has improved from a year ago. In their first year together, Boldin recorded 64 receptions for 837 yards and seven touchdowns, his lowest totals in a 16-game season.

“It’s not something that happens overnight,” Boldin said. “You know, the great ones always put in extra time, and that’s what we’re trying to do now.”

“Me and Anquan have been hooking up this training camp, and we have been talking to each other about what we’re seeing,” Flacco added. “I am really confident about where we are at right now.”

The speedy veteran, whom Baltimore acquired from Buffalo for a fourth-round pick, simply outran Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall (no slow-poke himself) on a stretch play up the right sideline. Flacco lofted the 35-yard pass right into his outstretched hands.

Evans finished with three catches for 60 yards, a week after notching three catches for 68 yards.

“The play that Evans made … wow,” Harbaugh said. “To be able to go get that ball the way he did, there was a point in time where I didn’t think he was going to be able to catch up with the throw. I guess Joe knew he would be able to catch up.”

This excerpt says it all and should probably end this thread (but I know it won't!).

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/08/26/boldin-evans-combo-goes-deep/

Wideouts Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans combined for eight receptions for 133 yards and two touchdowns Thursday night against the Washington Redskins, providing the comeback firepower in Baltimore’s 34-31 victory.

It’s never been easy for the historically defensive-geared Ravens to climb back from deficits before.

“Quick strike ability, you have to have it,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “Once you get in that high red zone, that 20 to 35-yard area, that’s a nice area to score from. Guys like Lee, that’s what they do.”

The two wideouts complemented each other well Thursday. Boldin worked the intermediate-to-long crossing routes and showed his physical nature. Lee flashed his blazing speed.

“He’s the guy that pretty much takes the top off of defenses, opens up everything underneath for guys like myself and Ray Rice and other guys,” Boldin said.

Quarterback Joe Flacco had Boldin deep a couple times in the team’s last preseason game against Kansas City but overthrew him twice. This time, the pair showed their strong connection.

Flacco hit Boldin for gains of 18 and 30 yards on their first touchdown drive. Boldin got open behind the Redskins’ zone defense and Flacco lobbed the perfect pass over the defense’s head to the veteran.

Flacco then hit Boldin for a 12-yard touchdown in the third quarter that tied the score at 21. The Ravens’ top target, who finished with five receptions for 73 yards, toe-tapped in the back of the end zone.

Boldin said he and Flacco spend a little time after practices making sure they’re on the same page and both attest that their chemistry has improved from a year ago. In their first year together, Boldin recorded 64 receptions for 837 yards and seven touchdowns, his lowest totals in a 16-game season.

“It’s not something that happens overnight,” Boldin said. “You know, the great ones always put in extra time, and that’s what we’re trying to do now.”

“Me and Anquan have been hooking up this training camp, and we have been talking to each other about what we’re seeing,” Flacco added. “I am really confident about where we are at right now.”

The speedy veteran, whom Baltimore acquired from Buffalo for a fourth-round pick, simply outran Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall (no slow-poke himself) on a stretch play up the right sideline. Flacco lofted the 35-yard pass right into his outstretched hands.

Evans finished with three catches for 60 yards, a week after notching three catches for 68 yards.

“The play that Evans made … wow,” Harbaugh said. “To be able to go get that ball the way he did, there was a point in time where I didn’t think he was going to be able to catch up with the throw. I guess Joe knew he would be able to catch up.”

Bittersweet. He was my favourite Bill so it's good to see him doing well so far.

Edited by QB Bills

We don't have Baltimore's offensive line, silly person. Of COURSE he won't do it as much here...

Nobody has ever said that he cannot run deep and fast. That is what he does.

http://blogs.baltimo...ombo-goes-deep/

Wideouts Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans combined for eight receptions for 133 yards and two touchdowns Thursday night against the Washington Redskins, providing the comeback firepower in Baltimore's 34-31 victory.

It's never been easy for the historically defensive-geared Ravens to climb back from deficits before.

"Quick strike ability, you have to have it," Head Coach John Harbaugh said. "Once you get in that high red zone, that 20 to 35-yard area, that's a nice area to score from. Guys like Lee, that's what they do."

"He's the guy that pretty much takes the top off of defenses, opens up everything underneath for guys like myself and Ray Rice and other guys," Boldin said.

Quarterback Joe Flacco had Boldin deep a couple times in the team's last preseason game against Kansas City but overthrew him twice. This time, the pair showed their strong connection.

Flacco hit Boldin for gains of 18 and 30 yards on their first touchdown drive. Boldin got open behind the Redskins' zone defense and Flacco lobbed the perfect pass over the defense's head to the veteran.

Flacco then hit Boldin for a 12-yard touchdown in the third quarter that tied the score at 21. The Ravens' top target, who finished with five receptions for 73 yards, toe-tapped in the back of the end zone.

Boldin said he and Flacco spend a little time after practices making sure they're on the same page and both attest that their chemistry has improved from a year ago. In their first year together, Boldin recorded 64 receptions for 837 yards and seven touchdowns, his lowest totals in a 16-game season.

"It's not something that happens overnight," Boldin said. "You know, the great ones always put in extra time, and that's what we're trying to do now."

"Me and Anquan have been hooking up this training camp, and we have been talking to each other about what we're seeing," Flacco added. "I am really confident about where we are at right now."

"The play that Evans made … wow," Harbaugh said. "To be able to go get that ball the way he did, there was a point in time where I didn't think he was going to be able to catch up with the throw. I guess Joe knew he would be able to catch up."

Evans and Trent Edwards both looked good in preseason last year as well.

Trent looked good? Really?

Evans has had some great games. If you followed the Bills closely enough you know he did it with a big armed QB. Deep speed is only a decoy threat if your QB can't actually throw him the ball. Flacco fits the Bill. His preseason performance is not an aberration it's foreshadowing of what's to come.

I wish Evans would do an interview and man-up about whether he requested the trade. If he did, who can truly blame him given the sad state of this franchise? Admitting such would settle down the fans and players who were outraged when Lee got dealt.

If he didn't make the request then it would only increase the uproar and bring some solid pressure onto management, and IMO that can't be a bad thing at this point.

Either way it would help this team move forward.

IMO, it's a foolish if not ridiculous argument to say that Evans couldn't do on the Bills what he will do on Ravens. Or that his production shows his worth.

If you watch the replays closely, because it's often difficult to see it when the play is happening live, teams safeties always looked at Evans, virtually every play. If the Bills had four WR, with two on each side, the opponent's safety will play on the hash mark with Evans there. They look at him when it's snapped. The time that they spend, even if it's a half second, is the difference between that safety being able to get to another receiver that is getting the pass, and he's often too late to get there by a step or two because of Lee Evans. He's literally taking two guys out of the play, without being "double covered". I watched every single Stevie Johnson TD last year and that happened on most of them and posted it here a couple weeks ago. There were two guys on Evans, and one on SJ and he beat the one on one.

In the games Evans didn't play, the teams brought the safeties up in the box, daring the Bills to beat them deep. The result was far less room to run and far less room in the short to medium pass game. Steve Johnson was making the same amount of catches and would immediately be hit or fall to the ground because there were players all over him. Evans could catch zero passes on the Bills and still be a very valuable player if he is taking out two guys, and it happens almost every pass play, even if that second player only takes a half second glance over or lines up on the Evans side hash versus the Steve Johnson side hash.

We no longer have a player that commands that attention, and it will be much harder to run and much harder for SJ to beat his man one on one because there will be another guy there much quicker, if not immediately.

IMO, it's a foolish if not ridiculous argument to say that Evans couldn't do on the Bills what he will do on Ravens. Or that his production shows his worth.

With all due respect, Kelly, your post affirms how his presence on the field affected our offense in a positive manner. I don't think that is the argument here. The point is that his production - catches and yards - have been very low. NO matter what the reason - perhaps he couldn't beat the double team, maybe Fitz was pragmatic in not having the arm and accuracy to fit the ball in tight spaces, the line did not allow enough time for Evans to make his breaks before Fitz got splattered. The bottom line is his numbers sucked. And given that not much has changed since last year, they would suck again. Your point is that the Bills offense as a whole will suck more with his absence and that very well might be the case. But to say that his numbers would magically be better this year is being in denial. So to that end, his production is much more likely to be better on the Ravens as compared to the Bills. In fact, I think he is in an ideal situation to relive his best statistical years. It will be telling if he cannot, but for sure he would not on this Bills team.

With all due respect, Kelly, your post affirms how his presence on the field affected our offense in a positive manner. I don't think that is the argument here. The point is that his production - catches and yards - have been very low. NO matter what the reason - perhaps he couldn't beat the double team, maybe Fitz was pragmatic in not having the arm and accuracy to fit the ball in tight spaces, the line did not allow enough time for Evans to make his breaks before Fitz got splattered. The bottom line is his numbers sucked. And given that not much has changed since last year, they would suck again. Your point is that the Bills offense as a whole will suck more with his absence and that very well might be the case. But to say that his numbers would magically be better this year is being in denial. So to that end, his production is much more likely to be better on the Ravens as compared to the Bills. In fact, I think he is in an ideal situation to relive his best statistical years. It will be telling if he cannot, but for sure he would not on this Bills team.

Agreed, and I'd add to this post that by the time the Bills do have the problems on Offense remedied, Evans would be 32 and out of contract. We knew we weren't fixing the offense like we fixed the run defense this year. That will have to come next year. By then, Evans will have spent his last years rotting away.

I didnt at all say or imply that his numbers would be better this year. I have no idea if they would be better or worse than last year if he were still on the Bills. The point of the post was that even if he had zero catches, which would never happen, we're a better team with him on the field, because our remaining ten are playing against their nine. Without him, we have no one to go deep and spread the field, and our ten are playing against their ten.

Agreed, and I'd add to this post that by the time the Bills do have the problems on Offense remedied, Evans would be 32 and out of contract. We knew we weren't fixing the offense like we fixed the run defense this year. That will have to come next year. By then, Evans will have spent his last years rotting away.

I'm happy for Evans, not happy for the Bills.

In two years, perhaps we would have developed Marcus easley to replace him, or found a burner than can go deep and command respect from the other team's safeties. Not having Evans hurts Stevie, Roscoe, D Nelson because they have one more safety closer to the line and possibly looking at them to take their head off or knock a pass away, hurts Freddy and Spiller by having another safety closer to the line to stuff runs, hurts Fitz for not having a player to stretch the field and kept off his favorite target Stevie, plus hurts all the offensive linemen that have one more guy to block on runs.

Most teams don't have a guy with 4.39 speed, and they do just fine. Easley has (close, if not exactly) that speed and can be used to draw double coverage in the same way as Lee.

If only the games were played on paper.

If you watch the replays closely, because it's often difficult to see it when the play is happening live, teams safeties always looked at Evans, virtually every play. If the Bills had four WR, with two on each side, the opponent's safety will play on the hash mark with Evans there. They look at him when it's snapped. The time that they spend, even if it's a half second, is the difference between that safety being able to get to another receiver that is getting the pass, and he's often too late to get there by a step or two because of Lee Evans. He's literally taking two guys out of the play, without being "double covered". I watched every single Stevie Johnson TD last year and that happened on most of them and posted it here a couple weeks ago. There were two guys on Evans, and one on SJ and he beat the one on one.

In the games Evans didn't play, the teams brought the safeties up in the box, daring the Bills to beat them deep. The result was far less room to run and far less room in the short to medium pass game. Steve Johnson was making the same amount of catches and would immediately be hit or fall to the ground because there were players all over him. Evans could catch zero passes on the Bills and still be a very valuable player if he is taking out two guys, and it happens almost every pass play, even if that second player only takes a half second glance over or lines up on the Evans side hash versus the Steve Johnson side hash.

We no longer have a player that commands that attention, and it will be much harder to run and much harder for SJ to beat his man one on one because there will be another guy there much quicker, if not immediately.

Great post. Beats most of the "Evans is a one trick pony" arguments.

Most teams don't have a guy with 4.39 speed, and they do just fine. Easley has (close, if not exactly) that speed and can be used to draw double coverage in the same way as Lee.

"not exactly" is closer to the truth. Where have you seen him exhibit anything close to 4.4 speed?

Ummmmm... I think you have to actually show the speed, make the catch, and burn the other team in real games on a consistent basis before they double team you or have the other safety give a second look. You can't just put Renaldo Nehemiah out there.

Great post. Beats most of the "Evans is a one trick pony" arguments.

"not exactly" is closer to the truth. Where have you seen him exhibit anything close to 4.4 speed?

He's been timed as fast as 4.39.

Wow. I just came on here and am reading the reactions to Lee Evans' preseason touchdown against the Redskins last night. Has anyone alluded to the fact that it was a preseason touchdown against the Redskins? Last season he had an even longer preseason touchdown against the Colts and then he caught 37 passes in the regular season. Everybody calm down! I actually do think he's gonna have a big season, but I don't that we can draw any conclusions at all from one freaking play last night.

Why can't people understand he can't catch any balls if they don't throw to him! If they threw to him more, he would definitely caught more passes! If the OC told him to go across the middle, or run a slant route, he would have. He was pretty much ignored while most of the passes went to Stevie Johnson.

I sure hope Johnson can put up the same numbers without a player like Lee to take the pressure off him. We don't have that player anymore.

Why can't people understand he can't catch any balls if they don't throw to him! If they threw to him more, he would definitely caught more passes! If the OC told him to go across the middle, or run a slant route, he would have. He was pretty much ignored while most of the passes went to Stevie Johnson.

I sure hope Johnson can put up the same numbers without a player like Lee to take the pressure off him. We don't have that player anymore.

He was also ignored when TO was here. Which is why I still say he saw that he was being underutilized and requested the trade. The Bills agreed because they didn't plan on using him much more than how he had been used.

He was also ignored when TO was here. Which is why I still say he saw that he was being underutilized and requested the trade. The Bills agreed because they didn't plan on using him much more than how he had been used.

If that is the case Doc, then I blame the coaching staff. You would think they would try to make there best receiver (at the start of last season) part of the game plan. It kind of sounds like what they may be doing to Fred Jackson. If that is true, shame on the coaching staff.

If that is the case Doc, then I blame the coaching staff. You would think they would try to make there best receiver (at the start of last season) part of the game plan. It kind of sounds like what they may be doing to Fred Jackson. If that is true, shame on the coaching staff.

Evans was the #2 WR for the past 2 seasons, which spanned 2 different regimes. While you could make the argument that Fitz had a better rapport with Stevie since they spent more time together, you can't say the same for Edwards and TO in 2009. And as WEO said, and as came to pass, someone replaced TO's production from 2009. So we'll have to wait and see how the offense does without Evans during the real season, not pre-season.

great post, really. the A holes here who screamed for an evans trade for 3 years will now rip your post. I guess they arent smart enough to realize trent edwards not only ruined 3 seasons for us but also destroyed evans' stats enough for less intelligent people to demand him to be traded.

I wonder if people realize how much trent turdwards really set this franchise back.

go evans!

If the Bills had ever had anyone to get Evans the ball this would not been a story. Evans would have been the leading receiver year in and year out and would still be with the Bills. Why the Bills did not hold out for an OT is an indictment against the front office, I don't care how many good young receivers they have.

Lets just be happy for Lee I think with how long he had stuck with the Bills he had earned the right to make the playoffs with a good team. As far as I am concerned we are in year 2 or a rebuilding process and Lee is a 30 year old receiver whose game is based off of speed. Speed receivers really don't last much past 30 and Lee's value was only going to go down.

We got a decent draft asset for Lee and we opened up more playing time for the younger receivers already on the staff. Hopefully Nelson, Easley, or Jones will develop and we will have a good young core going forward. Roscoe and Smith are still veteran options on this roster as well as Stevie being the number one guy.

It maybe was just time for Lee to go. My only disappointment is that we didn't get a 3rd rounder for him but other then that I wish Lee well on his future. I thought that Lee would help us but I think that allowing Nelson, Jones, and Easley to play plus adding a 4th rounder would help us much more.

billsfan..none of the things you mention equal a guy with deep speed and excellent hands. If lee is 30, ok. but he showed in baltimore already he still has supreme speed. how long did lofton play? how old was he when we ADDED him to our team? Donald jones, easley and nelson are all slow to average and thats not even talking about there hands.

Lee was a first rounder with obvious talent, now we are HOPING that donald jones will "develop" into what? a good receiver with average speed? Or namman rosevelt maybe?

Lets face it. SOme idiot at one bills drive has no clue and traded away our best player. I think he reads this forum and doesnt really understand football.

Maybe its the same guy who though we needed a red zone target (hardy) or a run stopper (stroud) or a linebacker who makes tackles at the line of scrimmage (poz) or a better running back (Lynch,Spiller) how about we stop giving away first round, good proven players (Spikes,Mcgahee,Lynch,Evans) for 3 and 4th round garbage picks.

Evans was the #2 WR for the past 2 seasons, which spanned 2 different regimes. While you could make the argument that Fitz had a better rapport with Stevie since they spent more time together, you can't say the same for Edwards and TO in 2009. And as WEO said, and as came to pass, someone replaced TO's production from 2009. So we'll have to wait and see how the offense does without Evans during the real season, not pre-season.

What on earth is this number one and number two crap? There are a minimum of two, generally three and sometimes four receivers on the field at any one time. You need very good receivers at each position. Evans was the best speed, deep receiver we had and was certainly in the running as the best receiver on the field. At the beginning of the preseason we had one two very good receivers (Johnson and Evans) and a bunch of nothing-yets. We dumped one of those two very good receivers (look at what he has done in Baltimore so far, as well as what he has done here) with nothing in the nothing-yets to take his place....FOR A FOURTH ROUND DRAFT CHOICE1111.....

I'm hard put to find a dumber move in the entire NFL so far this year.

We are all beating a dead horse here. Over and over.

I'll beat it again. There is something seriously wrong with the front office to not only get rid of our most valued veteran on offense but to only get a fourth rounder for him. It may have been good for Ralph's bottom line, but a horrible move for the team and its public image...which was finally moving up.

Adding insult, we end up drafting another much lesser receiver after two WRs get injured...after the team says we have so much WR depth.

I was really happy about this team's offseason moves until that move.

Lee will be a valued asset for the Ravens. We have a great No. 2 (Stevie) and a cadre of talented No. 3s, but no No. 1. Even if Fitz turns out to be an above average QB, he will need that veteran downfield talent.

What on earth is this number one and number two crap? There are a minimum of two, generally three and sometimes four receivers on the field at any one time. You need very good receivers at each position. Evans was the best speed, deep receiver we had and was certainly in the running as the best receiver on the field. At the beginning of the preseason we had one two very good receivers (Johnson and Evans) and a bunch of nothing-yets. We dumped one of those two very good receivers (look at what he has done in Baltimore so far, as well as what he has done here) with nothing in the nothing-yets to take his place....FOR A FOURTH ROUND DRAFT CHOICE1111.....

I'm hard put to find a dumber move in the entire NFL so far this year.

It's only dumb if you think that this season was a playoff season and Evans was the Bills' ticket to get there. But as we found out with TO, WR production can be replaced.