How about that Evans

Sanners

I tell you that this Lee Evans thing has really gotten to me. Really the Bills gave him up for free for what reason? To save money

Really, we didn't give him up for nothing. He'd be gone after his current contract so we got a 4th Rd. pick to speed up his departure. The final story on Lee Evans in Buffalo isn't written yet. Because a future Draft pick is involved, it could be years before we see the final chapter.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see what happens when the season starts and he disappears in real coverages. Ability will look good in preseason, but I'm curious to see what happens when real blitzing and good corners get into the act.

This was their preseason game 3. If you noticed both teams played their starters the majority of the game so the "good corners" were in the game and they was blitzing.

A lot of cry babies here who won't or can't realize that Evans is a very good #2 receiver and with a team like the Ravens have and a QB like Flacco he will finally get the opportunity to shine and I expect him to take full advantage of it. Evans was not the problem, the Bills were. It sucks but it is what it is.

The Ravens, their fans, and Gruden can see it. It's a shame some Bills fans cannot.

I expect a career year from Lee with Flacco throwing.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

If Nix traded him to give a chance with a contender then my hat is off to him as well.

I suspect you are right. The other thing that makes this easier (or harder depending on your perspective) is that he might have had a career low here.

LOL, you crack me up Bill. :thumbsup:

Go Bills!

Actually, I was serious. :) I have been at games in which some of our gadget players had a very good and exciting play. Naturally, the crowd goes wild.

Once I saw McKelvin return a kickoff for a TD. His speed was blinding, just unthinkable. I thought that he might be the next Mel Gray in terms of kick returns, until I realized that he has the brain of a flea, but that's another matter.

If we lived close by, I would bet you a six pack of your choice that Spiller has some sort of amazing play in preseason. It's really gonna happen imo, and the board will quite naturally be happy.

The good news is that I have a better feeling about Brad Smith than I ever had about any Bills gadget player. I think this kid can win us a game. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bill from NYC

The offensive tackles we got on sale at Walmart would not allow enough time for a receiver to go deep is what you are saying?

This.

I also think people underestimate how much more difficult it is for the QB when he is throwing while running for his life.

Brady when he gets pressure all day - not so pretty.

Look at old game films of Kelly and compare his time in the pocket to what Fitzy gets.

I don't want to sound like a Fitz apologist, because he does make bad throws and has been off in his timing this preseason.

I hope he is doing extra tossing with his wideouts to get on the same page.

I also think he is the sort of QB who just doesn't "get it going on" until it's for-real and even then, he seems to come out flat in the first half. Maybe Merriman can fire him up or something.

I expect a career year from Lee with Flacco throwing.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

If Nix traded him to give a chance with a contender then my hat is off to him as well.

Ultimately I believe this is what happened. I truly believe Evans wanted out -- but kept his mouth shut about it.

No way Gailey green lights getting rid of Evans unless if Evans does not want to be here.

Ultimately I believe this is what happened. I truly believe Evans wanted out -- but kept his mouth shut about it.

No way Gailey green lights getting rid of Evans unless if Evans does not want to be here.

The Bills have set a very bad precedent of letting players walk when they feel like it. It started imo when Levy made that idiotic "promise" to Clements.

IF they still wanted him they should have kept him. A salary dump seems way more likely imo.

Lee Evans, like Eric Moulds before him was an exceptional talent wasted on a chit team. he was the best player on offense last year. he commanded double coverage the majority of the game. he is easily one of the top 32 receivers in football. a legit #1.....a 4th round pick is garbage. he will be sorely missed. this offense took a huge step backwards. watch what a great year he will have in baltimore. stevie johnson will look nothing like last year.

I said this a few weeks ago, and was criticized by one poster for it: in fantasy football this year, I'd take Evans over Boldin. I think Evans is going to have a #1 WR-type year (1000 yards, 6-8 TD's).

From 2010 stats:

Larry Fitzgerald - 1137 yds, 6TDs

Anquan Boldin - 837 yds, 7TDs

Lee Evans - 578 yds, 4 TDs

Steve Johnson - 1073yds, 10 TDs

just sayin...

I also think Evans will have a career year in Baltimore. A team that effectively runs the ball, and has the protection and QB to throw deep. Agree that he will be a great sleeper pick in Fantasy.

I also want to add that I do NOT think, nor is it reasonable to believe, that his success in Baltimore means he would've put those numbers up in Buffalo.

I really like Lee as a person and a player, but he is still a one-trick pony. He caught a deep ball for a TD last night. Same thing we watched him do here for 7 years. Nothing new or unexpected there. I wish him the best during his time on the Ravens, but do not miss him on this current team where he would be largely underutilized.

Edited by DrDareustein

Wow. I just came on here and am reading the reactions to Lee Evans' preseason touchdown against the Redskins last night. Has anyone alluded to the fact that it was a preseason touchdown against the Redskins? Last season he had an even longer preseason touchdown against the Colts and then he caught 37 passes in the regular season. Everybody calm down! I actually do think he's gonna have a big season, but I don't that we can draw any conclusions at all from one freaking play last night.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I also want to add that I do NOT think, nor is it reasonable to believe, that his success in Baltimore means he would've put those numbers up in Buffalo.

I really like Lee as a person and a player, but he is still a one-trick pony. He caught a deep ball for a TD last night. Same thing we watched him do here for 7 years. Nothing new or unexpected there. I wish him the best during his time on the Ravens, but do not miss him on this current team where he would be largely underutilized.

Agree completely. I wish Lee the best, and expect him to do great things. But it's going to be like the year where he and JP hooked up for a bunch of bombs. I don't expect Lee to suddenly turn into a complete receiver in Baltimore.

This is very true.

But just because his actual productivity wasn't great, doesn't mean much, imo. The fact is, he helped Johnson get open quite a bit with the long pass threat he was.

I agree about the first part - he did not have good production last year and it is unreasonable to believe he would have this year with pretty much the same cast characters on the O.

However, I am not with the camp that belittles him just because he can only go deep (not that I support that contention but let us go with that for now). Having a deep threat can be incredibly valuable if we have corresponding medium and short range threats also. If Roscoe ever fulfilled his potential and Stevie/a Tight End could cover the short to medium range, the offense would be multi-dimensional and potent. Evans could do his thing deep and defenses would be forced to account for that. For a myriad of reasons - lack of a good TE, lack of adequate pass protection, lack of a strong armed and highly accurate QB - did not allow this situation to unfold last year. And it is no different this year which means Evans' production would likely have been similar with the Bills.

I think Nix recognized this and traded him not because he thought his value was that of only a 4th rounder, but because he felt that given the condition of the offense getting a 4th rounder next year is better than the ~ 40 catch production this year. Something that Nix must have felt Gailey can get by compensating with the other receivers on the team.

I agree about the first part - he did not have good production last year and it is unreasonable to believe he would have this year with pretty much the same cast characters on the O.

However, I am not with the camp that belittles him just because he can only go deep (not that I support that contention but let us go with that for now). Having a deep threat can be incredibly valuable if we have corresponding medium and short range threats also. If Roscoe ever fulfilled his potential and Stevie/a Tight End could cover the short to medium range, the offense would be multi-dimensional and potent. Evans could do his thing deep and defenses would be forced to account for that. For a myriad of reasons - lack of a good TE, lack of adequate pass protection, lack of a strong armed and highly accurate QB - did not allow this situation to unfold last year. And it is no different this year which means Evans' production would likely have been similar with the Bills.

I think Nix recognized this and traded him not because he thought his value was that of only a 4th rounder, but because he felt that given the condition of the offense getting a 4th rounder next year is better than the ~ 40 catch production this year. Something that Nix must have felt Gailey can get by compensating with the other receivers on the team.

I actually agree. I dont blame his lack of production on Lee. It was due to the offense he was on. However, it's also the fact that he can only do 1 thing that contributes to him being ineffective. It's just two different things that dont go well together: A deep threat, and a team with no OL and a game plan to use intermediate passes.

This year it's the same offense, so it's just as well that he was traded for some type of compensation and sent to a winning franchise, instead of letting him rot out the last 2 years of his contract and walk away.

I wish we had a better OL right now that would justify us keeping Evans. I wish for a lot of things for this team. But that's not reality.

I had no problem trading Evans. I am not in love with him as some here are. He was a good second receiver who runs deep but will not go over the middle.

My only problem with the trade was the fourth round pick. I have a hard time believing they could not have gotten at least a third for the guy if they waited. If we could not have gotten more than a fourth, was it worthwhile even trading him?

If the stories of him wanting to be traded are correct, then I suppose the Bills were backed in a corner. Nevertheless, the recent history of this team trading guys (whom we picked with high picks) for lower round picks is very, very frustrating.

Oh well. Go Bills.

I had no problem trading Evans. I am not in love with him as some here are. He was a good second receiver who runs deep but will not go over the middle.

My only problem with the trade was the fourth round pick. I have a hard time believing they could not have gotten at least a third for the guy if they waited. If we could not have gotten more than a fourth, was it worthwhile even trading him?

If the stories of him wanting to be traded are correct, then I suppose the Bills were backed in a corner. Nevertheless, the recent history of this team trading guys (whom we picked with high picks) for lower round picks is very, very frustrating.

Oh well. Go Bills.

The desperate Vikings gave up a 3rd for future HoFer Randy Moss.

The Pats got him from the Raiders for a 4th.

Ochocinco (a much more productive and respected WR) was traded out of a desperate situation for a 5th and 6th.

Since you are already based in reality with your assessment of "He was a good second receiver who runs deep but will not go over the middle" HOW in the world do you expect the Bills to get anything higher than a 4th for him???

Oh well. Go Bills.

That was his market value. If you're suggesting they could've gotten a 3rd for Lee Evans, that simply wasn't possible. Maybe, MAYBE if they wait until week 5 and a team gets a rash of injuries, but other than that no way. I actually thought there was a chance it might've been a 5th after I heard he was on the block.

Marvin Harrison wouldn't go over the middle either. He was a similar player to Evans, with less speed. In addition to the wheel route, Harrison excelled at moving the chains by running curls and outs towards the sidelines. Evans runs those same routes fantastically well. He's not just a "deep threat."

Harrison put up Hall of Fame numbers without crossing the middle of the field. Evans would've done the same with competent coaching and QB play. He has a chance to salvage his career in Baltimore and I wish him the best of luck. The notion that this team is better off without him is a farce.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

That was his market value. If you're suggesting they could've gotten a 3rd for Lee Evans, that simply wasn't possible. Maybe, MAYBE if they wait until week 5 and a team gets a rash of injuries, but other than that no way. I actually thought there was a chance it might've been a 5th after I heard he was on the block.

Yep. In today's market, WRs and RBs are commodity positions and thus their value has a lower ceiling. Teams tend to find productive players at these positions later in the draft and even off the street every year. (As often posted, some find it quite frustrating that the Bills have spent so many 1st and 2nd round picks at these positions.)

Marvin Harrison wouldn't go over the middle either. He was a similar player to Evans, with less speed. In addition to the wheel route, Harrison excelled at moving the chains by running curls and outs towards the sidelines. Evans runs those same routes fantastically well. He's not just a "deep threat."

Harrison put up Hall of Fame numbers without crossing the middle of the field. Evans would've done the same with competent coaching and QB play. He has a chance to salvage his career in Baltimore and I wish him the best of luck. The notion that this team is better off without him is a farce.

I dont think many people are saying "we are better without him". What Im saying is "we're just as bad with him".

I dont think many people are saying "we are better without him". What Im saying is "we're just as bad with him".

Honestly, I've grown tired of that argument. It gets trotted out every time we lose any player. Is there any player on the Bills that would make a difference, by himself, in the W/L record? That can't be the only response we're able to summon when a guy leaves...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

He did last night. Just sayin.

The TD he caught was the exact same deep route hes been running for his whole career. Lee Evans is not going to suddenly explode into a do everything "Steve Smith in his prime" kind of receiver.

Edited by Billsrhody