Rashard Mendenhall loses endorsement deal

The athletic apparel company Champion has decided it no longer wants to be associated with Rashard Mendenhall, days after Mendenhall wrote on Twitter that he didn’t believe hijacked planes caused the collapse of the World Trade Center, and that people shouldn’t celebrate the death of Osama bin Laden.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/05/rashard-mendenhall-loses-endorsement-deal-with-champion/

What kind of a country do we live in when a guy can't even conspire against his own government over the worst terrorist attack this nation has seen (Mendenhall) or have an affair with a ton of loose women (Tiger) without losing millions of dollars in endorsements. For shame.

The slavery comments they could deal with. This though, this is where they draw the line.

Well, you know if they cut him loose over the slavery comments there'd be a entire stadium's worth of activists rushing to Mendenhall's defense. The Bin Laden comments are just a big ol' softball begging to be hit out of the park. Touch 'em all time!

I feel bad for Mendenhall simply expressing his opinion but as an athlete and role model you've got to know when it's inappropriate to express controversial opinions. Lesson learned (hopefully).

Well, you know if they cut him loose over the slavery comments there'd be a entire stadium's worth of activists rushing to Mendenhall's defense. The Bin Laden comments are just a big ol' softball begging to be hit out of the park. Touch 'em all time!

I feel bad for Mendenhall simply expressing his opinion but as an athlete and role model you've got to know when it's inappropriate to express controversial opinions. Lesson learned (hopefully).

It seems the only ones making a controversy about it are the media. The guy said he doesn't think people should celebrate a killing. I respect that.

It seems the only ones making a controversy about it are the media. The guy said he doesn't think people should celebrate a killing. I respect that.

The controversy was when he said he didnt believe the towers came down just from a plane. I have no problem with the first [part thats his opinion but the second, as an athlete he has to be careful what he posts

Yea - implying 9-11 was possibly a big scheme that bin laden had nothing to do with.... Mighhhht be a lil more then what you describe. But what do I know, not like I ever talked to obl personally, could be a cool dude? Oh wait. Nope.

Thought the comments about not celebrating death were fine.... he took it a bit too far with the we don't know the other side of the story and conspiracy theories. Maybe we don't know the other side of Hitler's story? Maybe we don't know the other side of Stalin's story? They were probably cool dudes :thumbdown:

The controversy was when he said he didnt believe the towers came down just from a plane. I have no problem with the first [part thats his opinion but the second, as an athlete he has to be careful what he posts

This is what pissed me off.

It’s amazing how people hate a man they never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side.”

Mendenhall doesnt realize we HAVE heard OBL speak.

Mendenhall can try to apologize or backtrack all he wants but what he said is how he really thinks. He wasn't just trying to stir up a dialogue imo. I bet a lot of Steelers fans are disgusted with him after this. To me his comments are a disgrace and I'm glad Champion dumped him.

This is what pissed me off.

Its amazing how people hate a man they never even heard speak. Weve only heard one side.

Mendenhall doesnt realize we HAVE heard OBL speak.

Good point. Actions speak louder than words. So even if we didnt ever hear osama speak the fact that he killed so many innocent americans on our soil is grounds enough for me to hate the guy. In this case there is no need to hear the other side of the story. Right now osama is at the bottom of the ocean getting crapped on by sea creatures. Some people are born evil. Bin Laden was one of them

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

Exactly. I know several people who feel disgusted by the victory lap attitude over OBL's death.

And Mendenhall thinking that the WTC collapsed due to something other than jumbo jets crashing into it just makes him laughably stupid -- but no more so than thousands of other people (including some on this board) that think the same thing.

Once again, much ado over nothing.

Thought the comments about not celebrating death were fine.... he took it a bit too far with the we don't know the other side of the story and conspiracy theories. Maybe we don't know the other side of Hitler's story? Maybe we don't know the other side of Stalin's story? They were probably cool dudes :thumbdown:

Dude, you can't like actually KNOW somebody until you've like, sat down and had a conversation with them or maybe shared some mary jane, or like took their shoes in the night and walked in them for a while. Cause until you've done that man, its just like your perception or whatever and you're just like, buying in to what the government, and the corporations, and what your parents...want you to do with your life, and I was all like NO, I'm not getting a job so just back OFF!

Do they still have Champion outlet stores in WNY? I remember as a kid the annual trip to the Champion outlet to spend what seemed like hours going through bin after bin of seconds and obscure school T-shirts to pick out my 'wardrobe' for the coming year :P

The athletic apparel company Champion has decided it no longer wants to be associated with Rashard Mendenhall, days after Mendenhall wrote on Twitter that he didn’t believe hijacked planes caused the collapse of the World Trade Center, and that people shouldn’t celebrate the death of Osama bin Laden.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/05/rashard-mendenhall-loses-endorsement-deal-with-champion/

I am a new fan of Champion products. As a true blooded American and a 20 year veteran of the Navy, if it were up to me, he would lose more than an endorsement deal and a few bucks. What a Moron!

This again proves that athletes and Twitter go together like oil and water.

For some, it is a good way for fans to get a real time glimpse into these athlete's lives. However for others, they fail to realize that they will be held accountable and it will hit them where it hurts...right in their wallet.

So what is he out 10 bucks and a lifetime supply of cheap sweatshirts?

HAHAHA well played :lol:

Dude, you can't like actually KNOW somebody until you've like, sat down and had a conversation with them or maybe shared some mary jane, or like took their shoes in the night and walked in them for a while. Cause until you've done that man, its just like your perception or whatever and you're just like, buying in to what the government, and the corporations, and what your parents...want you to do with your life, and I was all like NO, I'm not getting a job so just back OFF!

LOL, started good, and finished strong. Hilarious!

Apparently Champion thinks Rashard is out of sync with reality as well. Just becuase we're free to say what we want to say doesn't mean we all have to repect what he said or for a company to continue put their product line in his hands. We just have to respect his right to say it.

He was one of the few that supported/agreed with him

Rashard on AP's comment regarding the NFL as modern day slavery:

"Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other."

He's absolutely right; anyone could say that. They would be wrong, but anyone with vocal chords and a satisfactory command of the English language could in fact, utter that same ridiculous phrase. Rashard and AP have proven beyond all doubt that only someone without any knowledge of the slave trade would make such a parallel.

Any comparison between forced labor, under brutal conditions, for no pay, to todays' wildly rich athletes, who compete by choice, are envied by the rest of the world and are more respected than heads of state, is totally incorrect.

If they wanted to limit the discussion to the recruitment process and the way players are commoditized, perhaps theres a parallel, but its still weak. How long until "No Twitter" clauses start becoming boiler in NFL contracts?

If they wanted to limit the discussion to the recruitment process and the way players are commoditized, perhaps theres a parallel, but its still weak. How long until "No Twitter" clauses start becoming boiler in NFL contracts?

If I'm a sport agent I'm going tell my athletes to not twitter.

I am a new fan of Champion products. As a true blooded American and a 20 year veteran of the Navy, if it were up to me, he would lose more than an endorsement deal and a few bucks. What a Moron!

what should he lose "true blooded American"? the guy lost some bucks because he opened his mouth and said something the sheep don't compute. what else should he lose? can you give an answer that i wouldn't get from a mafia thug? probably not.

what should he lose "true blooded American"? the guy lost some bucks because he opened his mouth and said something the sheep don't compute. what else should he lose? can you give an answer that i wouldn't get from a mafia thug? probably not.

OK, guys, what is it with the "sheep fetish" around here lately?

I "get it" that conspiracy theories are sexy and fashionable. A surprising-to-me poll found that 16% of people surveyed felt some kind of conspiracy theory was needed to explain the collapse of the WTC.

I'm disappointed that so many people (especially football players!) don't understand the difference between static and dynamic loads.

Also disappointed that people don't understand the enormity of the heat released by 20 thousand gallons of burning kerosene or the principle that heat can change the strength of metals at temperatures far below melting.

Still, that means despite the paucity of quality scientific education, 84% of people surveyed felt conspiracy theories just aren't necessary to explain the collapse, which in fact, scientifically, they are not.

So what's with all the name calling of "sheep" all over the place around here? What's with all the sheep on the brain? Does the image of sheep fill the mental vacuum left by incomplete technical knowledge?

Are sheep the new fetish animal? The subject of a yet-to-be-released Rex Ryan video? (Gawd, that's a visual I did NOT need)

Is sheep-hide the new fashion statement for Fall? The anti-concussion lining for NextGen NFL helmets?

Y'all have a secret yen towards cannibalism and want to reclassify 84% of your fellow humans as "mutton" to avoid derision and ostracism?

The new euphemism for saying "I got three bags full, and nobody's buyin'?"

What?

:lol:

I loved your whole post, especially that line. However, I'll give billsintaiwan the benefit of the doubt and assume his 'sheep' comment was in reference to the reaction over the OBL portion of Mendenhall's statement (that is, questioning the appropriateness of the public jubilation over bin Ladin's death and the accompanying media jerk-off) rather than the WTC conspiracy part of the statement, which as you suggest could only be borne out of sheer stupidity.

In 5 years, those free clothes would have come in handy....

You`ll have to explain to me why he would need the free clothes in 5 years :

Mendenhall, their-first round draft pick, came to terms on a five-year, $12.55 million contract. Sweed, their second-round choice, agreed to a four-year contract in principle. Terms are not yet available.Mendenhall's deal includes bonuses of $6.83 million, guarantees of $7,125,000 and total cash value of $9,855,000 with an escalator that makes the contract worth $12.55 million.

You`ll have to explain to me why he would need the free clothes in 5 years :

Mendenhall, their-first round draft pick, came to terms on a five-year, $12.55 million contract. Sweed, their second-round choice, agreed to a four-year contract in principle. Terms are not yet available.Mendenhall's deal includes bonuses of $6.83 million, guarantees of $7,125,000 and total cash value of $9,855,000 with an escalator that makes the contract worth $12.55 million.

Your right, NFL players never have money troubles after the retire

OK, guys, what is it with the "sheep fetish" around here lately?

I "get it" that conspiracy theories are sexy and fashionable. A surprising-to-me poll found that 16% of people surveyed felt some kind of conspiracy theory was needed to explain the collapse of the WTC.

I'm disappointed that so many people (especially football players!) don't understand the difference between static and dynamic loads.

Also disappointed that people don't understand the enormity of the heat released by 20 thousand gallons of burning kerosene or the principle that heat can change the strength of metals at temperatures far below melting.

Still, that means despite the paucity of quality scientific education, 84% of people surveyed felt conspiracy theories just aren't necessary to explain the collapse, which in fact, scientifically, they are not.

So what's with all the name calling of "sheep" all over the place around here? What's with all the sheep on the brain? Does the image of sheep fill the mental vacuum left by incomplete technical knowledge?

Are sheep the new fetish animal? The subject of a yet-to-be-released Rex Ryan video? (Gawd, that's a visual I did NOT need)

Is sheep-hide the new fashion statement for Fall? The anti-concussion lining for NextGen NFL helmets?

Y'all have a secret yen towards cannibalism and want to reclassify 84% of your fellow humans as "mutton" to avoid derision and ostracism?

What?

Thank you, very well said. And here, I think, is your answer:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/478472/projection