Farewell to all, you guys are great fans.... I mean that!

DIE HARD 1967

This is not a knock against the board, actually its the opposite.....wonderful place to hang out.

I am going to tell you a little secret but this will change your attitude about your threads and comments!

Are you ready?

I played for the Buffalo Bills 1967-1972. I read your comments and I now understand the fans better. Just a little warning here!

The players do frequent the message boards, and they do care what you write and yes I personally know 1 former player that posts here!!! Yep, it is true! If you investigate, you could easily figure it out! I did ! I PMed the guy and we now chat from time to time!

So why leave the board now? No player or former player is interested reading garbage about why a player should be waived or why he is overpaid.These are proud, proud former star college football players. The career is short, the physical burden is high and the players are just people. We all have emotions and nobody enjoys bashing! The Buffalo fans are the best but by far the most frustrated.

I will stop by from time to time and read some topics but my responding days are over.

Oh, and my prediction for 2010?

Some of you place to much importance in high skill players. The "team" will determine the final outcome.

Buffalo is better then most of you think and a playoff birth is not impossible!

I thought about placing my real name here, but most likely someone will say I sucked or I was just a good solid player.

Either way I will not be happy because football was my LIFE and still is!

So I ask the question and this is a good one.....

IF YOU WERE A FORMER PLAYER,WOULD YOU PLACE YOUR REAL NAME ON THIS BOARD? If you think about it very carefully, the answer is no way! Some will call this thread a hoax but that should be expected from fans in today's world! Everything is a hoax and everybody is a fraud, not always true guys! Some people are honest and until proven otherwise, learn to trust people!

Good luck on your threads, the season, and GO BILLS!!!

-DIEHARD 1967

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a knock against the board, actually its the opposite.....wonderful place to hang out.

I am going to tell you a little secret but this will change your attitude about your threads and comments!

Are you ready?

I played for the Buffalo Bills 1967-1972. I read your comments and I now understand the fans better. Just a little warning here!

The players do frequent the message boards, and they do care what you write and yes I personally know 1 former player that posts here!!! Yep, it is true! If you investigate, you could easily figure it out! I did ! I PMed the guy and we now chat from time to time!

So why leave the board now? No player or former player is interested reading garbage about why a player should be waived or why he is overpaid.These are proud, proud former star college football players. The career is short, the physical burden is high and the players are just people. We all have emotions and nobody enjoys bashing! The Buffalo fans are the best but by far the most frustrated.

I will stop by from time to time and read some topics but my responding days are over.

Some of you place to much importance in high skill players. The "team" will determine the final outcome.

I thought about placing my real name here, but most likely someone will say I sucked or I was just a good solid player.

IF YOU WERE A FORMER PLAYER,WOULD YOU PLACE YOUR REAL NAME ON THIS BOARD? If you think about it very carefully, the answer is no way! Some will call this thread a hoax but that should be expected from fans in today's world! Everything is a hoax and everybody is a fraud, not always true guys! Some people are honest and until proven otherwise, learn to trust people!

-DIEHARD 1967

I'm very sorry to hear that you're leaving. I've always enjoyed your posts. Thanks for your years of playing with the Bills. If you decide that this is really it for you, good luck, take care & GO BILLS!

Well Mr. Hard ..... or can I call you Die?

I'm sorry to see you go, in my opinion the board suffers anytime one of the "good guys" stops posting. As far as you being an ex-Bill or not, it doesn't matter to me one way or another, but if you in fact are, it's a sad commentary on the general "friendliness" of this board ... and internet forums in general I guess ... that you feel uncomfortable posting your name. Not that I disagree with you ... if I were in your position I'd feel the same.

I just can't figure out why an ex-player, current player, coach, or front office person couldn't openly post on a team fan site without all the vitrol that he'd have to suffer ... but it's a sad fact of life I guess .... oh well.

Are you ready?

-DIEHARD 1967

Thanks for your thoughtful comments ... there are many of us on this board who echo most of your concerns.

All too many people in this anonymous world thrive on vicious attacks on players and posters ... they are either the junior high school bullies relishing the opportunity to use abusive language once again or they are bully-wanna-be's. This has nothing to do with free speech but a lot to do with well thought out decent dialogue, which doens't mean we aren't allowed to be critical of the team, owner, general manager, coaches, and players. However when the only words that can come to mind are those found in the locker room ...

I too hope that you reconsider this decision because this board needs comments like yours or else we will all lose out to the bullies but then again that I think is part of their game ...

This season has possibilities ... there are some great players and some not very good ones on the team and there are great individuals who give back to the Buffalo community as well as to the communities they come from and there are low-life players. But, as a fan ... this is my team ... the team I cheer on and hope to see win every time they hit the field even though I am in Eagle Country now ... home will always be Buffalo ... so GO BILLS

PS: Sadly, you are correct in acknoledging that if you put your name up there would be postings about your career that you do not need to see written by individuals who have no idea what they are writing about.

Are you ready?

-DIEHARD 1967

ANYONE....and i mean ANYONE who makes a roster spot on a NFL team should be PROUD !!...very proud.....it is quite an accomplishment.

Sorry to see you go, but I can understand why you would. There's lots of people who probably don't have the perspective you do, and lots of people who may come across as callous when talking about players, myself included. If I was a player or player's relative, I'd never use my own name.

Go Bills!

I don't get why people whine about what others posts. It's a free country where people have opinions whether right or wrong. If you don't like what you're reading then stop reading it. Spare me the sympathy of being offended or having your feelings hurt and not returning. I too don't like some of the tasteless comments here but when I encounter them I move to another discussion. I don't quit the board.

Sorry to hear you are going, and I mean that!

Let me ask you a quick question - Did you like everyone that was on the Team when you played on the Bills? or did you think that some of them were jerks?

I bet the answer is, "Yes of course - there were jerks on the team" but as a whole the team was great."

The same is true can be said for TBD - there are jerks but as a whole this site is filled with passionate Bills fans who live and die with every first down.

For what it is worth, I only bash a player who I feel gives up on the team and their careers and do not even try to get better. (I'm referring to a former first rounder who is no longer with the team)

I will always be a Bills fan.

I hope you reconsider and post again.

Nick

Are you ready?

-DIEHARD 1967

Sorry to see you stop posting. It will be a loss for the board.

As for players' salaries, back in your day, you guys made nothing and endured much worse working conditions. If anything, you guys were sorely underpaid. As for whether today's players are overpaid, that's a matter of opinion. But I'd have to think that more than a few of the old-timers think these guys today have it so much better and make so much more, and it was off of your and your peers' backs.

Edited by Doc

Are you ready?

-DIEHARD 1967

'67--great stuff there, sorry to see you go. i certainly wouldn't post my real name one way or the other, and especially if i played for the team. What good would it serve? I read alot of these posts and like everyone else enjoy reading certain posters more than others, especially those who seem to have a good grasp of the schemes and 'real' football. I for one don't have that type of experience, so it's helpful at times to read something outside the traditional channels.

the other side of it, though, the darker side of the board always puts me on edge. it's easy to type in something very derogatory and insulting about a player, i just don't really get what someone gets out of that. caveat--now---a guy like vince wilfork comes in and tries to blow out a knee, like many belevie he did with Losman, well, I thought that was a pretty dangerous thing to do. i reserve the right to mutter obscenities all day long.

i reached out to a guy who used to play qb for the Bills, he works for the same company I do--and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. we never met personally but he was kind enough to send my then 8 year old son an autographed picture that hangs on his wall to this day, and my son is 15. i also had the opportunity to meet al bemiller many times back in the day when he was a ref for high school wrestling. seemed like a good guy, and as kids we all looked up to him.

anyway, i think everyone wants to see the bills get back on the winning side of things, and passionate for the team brings out the ebst (and worst) in people.

[quote name='DIE HARD 1967' Good luck on your threads, the season, and GO BILLS!!!

-DIEHARD 1967

Sorry to see you go. I really hope you reconsider. We've been losing some very good posters lately.

The jackasses around here seem to be driving all the good ones away and the quality of the overall discussion will suffer.

The insights of someone who actually played for the team that means so much to us all--that's just huge!

Edited by gringo starr

Sorry to see you go. I, too, hate it when certain posters descend into trashing players and coaches. For instance, despite the fact that I am glad he is no longer coaching the Bills, the amount of casual slander people daily post here about Dick Jauron, a fundamentally decent man and far from the worst coach the Bills have ever had, really makes it hard to feel good about the fans. Even ifhe were the worst coach, he doesn't deserve the continual flack.

A lot of people take their frustrations out on the players and coaches, and as in the real world, they like to find villains or whipping boys and then pile every bad emotion they have onto that person's shoulders.

Not everyone does this, but enough of it goes on to make reading tiresome and unpleasant. I probably have been guilty of it myself, though I try to avoid it.

I agree with you about not posting your name. Some idiot would surely have something negative to say. I guess because its anonymous its easy for people to act all tough and say stuff I doubt they'd ever say to a players face. There are some very thoughtful intelligent posts on the board and then there's people who criticize everything no matter what the team does or who's starting at QB. I know people are frustrated but if you think the team or players suck that much why watch and why bother frequenting and posting on a message board devoted to a team you don't like. I don't think we'll be in the superbowl this year but I don't think we'll be nearly as bad as the national media and many on this board think.

Thank you for all your posts and I hope you'll consider still posting from time to time.....

This board is like an addiction...And is a general sample of the real world80% avg people, 10 % really cool people and 10% total douches. If I had to guess based on the twitter activity, I would have to say the other former player is thurman thomas, I know he is very passionate about the Bills via twitter.

Oh and by the way people are just really jealous that they have to wake up and go to work at 8am everyday for the next 10 years to make what the league minimum is for 1 year. Unfortunately for all professional athletes, your salary is public knowledge, therefore creating a lot of haters. Money divides people, it alway has, and it always will. I won't even try to guess who you are although I'm sure somebody will or already has figured it out. Don't be like Skooby =)

Winning cures all. Buffalo fans ARE by far the most frustrated group of fans there is. I think this board would be a friendlier and happier place to visit were it not for this long 10-year playoff draught. I hope you don't stay away for long!!

Don't blame you one bit, man, but leaving isn't a solution. Just MO.

Exactly. Good, decent, intelligent posters leaving the board is what hurts this place more than anything else. There are always going to be a percentage of idiots in any large public gathering whether it be in the real world or this virtual one; add internet anonymity to the mix and the tard level increases exponentially. Posters just have to expect it and ignore, discard, discredit, and otherwise forget it.

Hell, there are people here that firmly believe Marv was a bad coach - the only guy to ever lead a team to 4 consecutive SupeprBowls gets ridicule here! So, it should surprise no one that anyone and everyone will get criticized by posters here. That, of course, doesn't make them right. But, if the rational posters leave... it makes them the only voice being heard.

I wouldn't use my real name ... wait, ah crap (do as I say, not as I do) but, I'd definitely stick around and enjoy the conversation and discussion with some posters - and just ignore the ones that are fighting for attention. It helps to have a sense of humor about much of it as well. It's pretty funny seeing people compare Spiller to Sanders after 2 preseason games, just as it is seeing them compare Lynch to some horrible thug that should be traded asap. But, maybe I'm just twisted.

At any rate, Die Hard, it's unfortunate if you stop posting. If you did play for the greatest sports franchise to ever exist; then I salute you and feel honored to have had the opportunity to converse with you. And I'm sure there are others that feel likekwise.

Too bad you weren't here in the "old days" (maybe you were?) The board was a lot more fun, and more thoughtful posts outnumbered the idiot responses. I'll still read posts of interests and post occasionally, but priorities have changed so I am more the lurker now. However, I am more excited about the Bills than I have been in a long time, which means I can't let go of this place completely.

Things change. It's great to see the growth of TBD, and Scott deserves muchos kudos for his efforts.

Still reading after all these years...

Cheers and Go Bills! :beer:

Die Hard, I am sorry to see you go, I have always enjoyed your posts and your insight will be missed. Your posts always seemed to have temperance and a level headed tone that was far and away more calming than the general hysterics here.

We are all fans, some have just watched the game, others have been able to play up until college or in your case on the pro level. There are many different viewpoints yet the most valuable seem to come from those with age and experience. I hope you still have fun reading what the fans have to say, I don't disagree with your decision to supress your name since you are correct that someone would most likely make a comment, but it seems that many here may not even have been born during the period you were with the Bills. A few old timers remember the early years and that is what made the early 90s so special for us. Unfortunately, in my opinion, most of the noise comes from those who started following the Bills during the heyday and never suffered through the tough years.

I truly hope your prognostications ring true.

Best of luck

I'd say that if you lasted 5 years on the Bills you were more than solid player and that you did not suck. I thought about going back to the rosters to see who you may be but hey keep anonymous that is your choice. The rock pile was a great place. Your fans were our fathers (or grandfathers) who brought us to those games and most of them vented against Ralph and not the players. America has changed with the internet and talk radio. Too many people use extreme language because they can hide behind their key board or microphones. They would simply have gotten their a$$ kicked back in the day. Thanks for playing and we hope you keep contributing. I have been going to games since '61 and I am sure I cheered you many times.

I don't get why people whine about what others posts. It's a free country where people have opinions whether right or wrong. If you don't like what you're reading then stop reading it. Spare me the sympathy of being offended or having your feelings hurt and not returning. I too don't like some of the tasteless comments here but when I encounter them I move to another discussion. I don't quit the board.

And apparently you never will get it.(and aren't you whining about someones post now?) How does one know one won't like what is written until you have read it? To me with your lack of sympathy and the way you try to make yourself sound better than thou cuz you don't quit the board really makes you sound like a jerk.

Die Hard, sorry to see you go. It seems lots of good people have been leaving as of late. It is really too bad. Buffalo rumblings posters seem to be more respectfull than tsw, try giving them a shot. Thanks for your contributions to the board. AND AS A BUFFALO BILL!

ps- We WILL be a good team this year!

By the way, Die Hard, you played for the Bills during one of the most difficult times in the franchise's history. There were some very bad years under John Rauch. I remember them well, in particular one game against the Colts played in a blizzard in the old WMS. James Harris played QB at that time. The Bills lost a lot of games in the late 60s, but laid the foundations for the better teams of the 1970s.

It must have been hard then, but also exhilarating to be a pro football player on the field with future Hall of Famers. And given the Bills record during that down period, it must seem ironic to see people complaining so much about how bad the Bills are now.

Are you ready?

-DIEHARD 1967

I remember back in '88 or so, when the Bills' fifth linebacker - Scott Radiceck - had to come in and play for an injured starter, and I made the flippant comment "Oh great, Radiceck's in, he sucks." A friend of mine responded "I hate it when people say that; just making it to an NFL team means he was a complete stud in college and one of the best athletes in the world."

Never forgot that; even though I've since commented about other players that "they suck", I try not to say so frequently, and I've never forgetten that that's not really true.

Sorry to see you go, I always rather appreciated your posts. Take care.

(And if I were in any way related to professial football - reporter, coach, former player, water boy, field maintenance) - there's no way in hell I'd post my real name on any public message board. (Hell, just imagine the **** Ray Lewis would get.)

I remember back in '88 or so, when the Bills' fifth linebacker - Scott Radiceck - had to come in and play for an injured starter, and I made the flippant comment "Oh great, Radiceck's in, he sucks." A friend of mine responded "I hate it when people say that; just making it to an NFL team means he was a complete stud in college and one of the best athletes in the world."

Never forgot that; even though I've since commented about other players that "they suck", I try not to say so frequently, and I've never forgetten that that's not really true.

Sorry to see you go, I always rather appreciated your posts. Take care.

(And if I were in any way related to professial football - reporter, coach, former player, water boy, field maintenance) - there's no way in hell I'd post my real name on any public message board. (Hell, just imagine the **** Ray Lewis would get.)

Higher dosage today, Tom?

I have visited this board every day since I've joined. Yes, I have no life. I rarely post, unless I feel I can add something to the discussion. Even then I re-read everything I write twice before posting it, spell check it, and do my best on the punctuation. It can be intimidating place for someone like me that does not have the knowledge that some people have here. For me it just makes sense to just read and learn, but what does it say when a former player and a national sports writer can't deal with some of the posters here?

I'm sorry that you have been put off by some posters (hopefully not me), but mostly I'm sorry for myself because I lose out on some great insight.