Lori Chase

Guest dog14787

The root of the problem here might be the fact that Lori is a vocal champion of the professional news media, which I think is a great thing. However, she's swimming against a strong current -- the public's ballooning distrust of that same media in recent years: http://people-press.org/report/543/ . That trend has clearly manifested itself on the board, with many vitriolic attacks on individual media members and the professional press writ large. I also think that heavy internet users are probably the most likely to distrust the press.

Anyway, I think the solution is not to get upset about it, but to recognize the trend and acknowledge how it may be impacting the perception of Tim Graham and the like. The press members on the board are probably already aware of it, but all the same I don't think that they should become personally upset about it. It's a deep and broad social phenomenon, and it isn't going to be weakened on a Bills message board.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If T-Bone shows up my year will be complete!

Now that the old guard has risen from the ashes like the proverbial phoenix, how do we get Ms. Lori back?

And where the hell is Cindy?

Last time I exchanged ANY words with T-Bone, he accused me of killing Paul.

He...can stay away, as far as I'm concerned.

I was at the Nevada / Reno Wolfpack Campus last week and was by the the Mackay Stadium and the gate was open so I walked in just to look around - nice little WAC field

Finally someone noticed and said - can I help you ?

I said, "No - just here scouting" - I was wearing a PENN STATE T-shirt - One for Lori :worthy:

They're still probably trying to figure that one out

One more old bastard reporting in

WOW! Talk about your blasts fromt he past! How's sunny SoCal these days?

I was going to post this earlier in the thread... and she was mortified, personally and professionally.

The obtuse posters that drove them away have no appreciation for issues of journalistic integrity.

Reporters have gone to jail rather than give up their sources, yet some annoying, dull-witted, knuckle-dragging bipeds with a close ancestral lineage to buffoons insisted TG do just that. It's analogous to a professional athlete going to a bar and being challenged to a race, a fight, an arm wrestling match and being heckled and debased when they won't engage the drunken slobs that are goading them on.

I look forward to Lori's return. I've never met her, but I consider her a friend.

I was going to post this earlier in the thread, but Lori is too modest for that and she would probably slash my tires if she ever thought I would stick up for her.

We all know that Lori is a moderator and did the weekly writeup before games here for years. She is probably one of the most knowledgeable football fans ever to wander into this playground. That being said, she has maintained her press credentials for some time and her associations through her press access seems to have drawn TG and JW to this board.

I can only imagine the horror and humiliation she had to endure when the TG thread went off the tracks. She is working for a small newspaper but uses her contacts and knowledge to mingle/compare notes with some of the more well known writers in the media. She then invites them to come to what she believed was a group of passionate Bills fans and as we all see it turned into a frat house beat down.

Some people in the media like TG and JW may have access well beyond what some of these knuckleheads get from their couches, in some cases they may have to suppress that information that may have been said off the record, and sometimes you may have to read between the lines when they report on a player or issue. If they make statements that they cannot give resource to immediately, give it a week or so, usually the issue has been resolved and those who had read between the lines would know that the writer had the scoop, but just couldn't publish it in a mainstream source. By going to something like TBD, they are marking territory without giving up the source.

As an analogy, In Lori's case, she invited colleagues that she admired into her home, and when the rest of the family showed up the brothers and sisters started picking their noses, farting and crapping on the table and she was mortified, personally and professionally.

Well stated.

Another dumb question:

Who is John Wawrow? Again, I get the impression of a local media connection there in Buffalo (I live in CA) or some ties to the team. Seems to be a very knowledgable poster and close to Lori and TG, so I am guessing there is more to him than just being a valued poster on this board.

A very GOOD AP writer!!!

Guest dog14787
A very GOOD AP writer!!!

Hail :worthy: jw,

May his skin grow ever thicker, may his senses be dulled with liquor, cheers :lol:

As someone who posts regularly on two other boards, I can attest to the fact that the TBD forum stands out as a far better group, generally speaking, than most other forums offer. Lori brought a great deal to the table with her analysis and classy work as a mod. Seeing TG leaving TBD obviously effected her. Tim was answering questions to the best of his knowledge and ability. Some members of the board took it upon themselves to be over-critical of his responses and lack thereof. For those calling out TG and Lori for "thin skin"; why do you think that someone who takes time from their day to answer our questions and someone who takes time from their day to moderate and provide pre-game analysis require thick skin? They are volunteering!

Lori will be missed, as will Tim. Thanks to the minority for costing the majority the pleasure of their membership on this board. Way to go geniuses!

:worthy:

If that's an inside joke, it's the first I've ever heard of it.

Not an inside joke. He actually stated that he thought I, as Paul's friend, killed him...via not stopping him.

I might be over-stating it (because let's face it, I was pissed as hell at the accusation, enough to lose objectivity). But not by much; others know of the exchange and can attest.

Not an inside joke. He actually stated that he thought I, as Paul's friend, killed him...via not stopping him.

I might be over-stating it (because let's face it, I was pissed as hell at the accusation, enough to lose objectivity). But not by much; others know of the exchange and can attest.

You're not over-stating it.

I miss Lori. This place is better off when she's part of it. I hope she comes back. Those who attacked TG don't represent what this site is really about. But it's an open forum and loudmouth idiots tend to over-represent themselves due to their loudmouth ways.

You're not over-stating it.

Sounds like a great dude. :worthy:

As someone who hasn't been around here that long I may not have a full frame of reference, but I can certainly see where Lori would need some time away from the board.

She put a lot of time and effort into the board trying to build it up and I'm sure she took a lot of pride in it. She/they(?) got a national sports writer to regularly post on the board, which is a huge deal. Then some jerk-off runs him off because he has a problem with ESPN. I'm sure it makes her sick just to think about it. Perhaps time will serve as a remedy.

As far as Tim Graham goes, I read the thread before he left, and I recall thinking the posts directed at him and his colleagues were a little inappropriate. At the same time, yes he was volunteering, and no he had no obligation to the board, and probably deserved more appreciation than he was shown, but come on man. One guy out of a board of 13k+ members gets out of line so you take your ball and go home? That said, it would be nice to have him back too.

As someone who posts regularly on two other boards, I can attest to the fact that the TBD forum stands out as a far better group, generally speaking, than most other forums offer. Lori brought a great deal to the table with her analysis and classy work as a mod. Seeing TG leaving TBD obviously effected her. Tim was answering questions to the best of his knowledge and ability. Some members of the board took it upon themselves to be over-critical of his responses and lack thereof. For those calling out TG and Lori for "thin skin"; why do you think that someone who takes time from their day to answer our questions and someone who takes time from their day to moderate and provide pre-game analysis require thick skin? They are volunteering!

Lori will be missed, as will Tim. Thanks to the minority for costing the majority the pleasure of their membership on this board. Way to go geniuses!

Well said.that is why I dont publish much on this board...great forum, but too many douchebags who think

they know everything...them going after Tim Graham the way they did was a disgrace and downright

embarrassing.Ive been a Bills fan 40 years and seen a lot of crazy stuff. but this was wrong.I see the same type

of responses on the sabres forum.Oh well....good luck to all and i hope Lori will come back..very missed!

Hello Lori. Although it's highly likely that you're not reading this material, I wanted to tell you - speaking as someone who takes the written word very seriously - I wanted to tell you that I miss your clear, but very rich, writing style. You're one of the few people on this board that I wanted to meet in person.

In case any of you were unaware as I was, our best Mod /Staff Columnist/ Bills historian, Lori Chase is no longer with us on TSW.

After a good friend of hers, ESPN's Tim Graham was very rudely treated on our forum Lori felt like enough was enough and it just wasn't much fun around here anymore. When you look at it from Lori's perspective how could you even blame her, Mr.Graham takes time away from his busy schedule, comes onto our forum to share his opinions and in return we disrespect and cause Tim to leave, meanwhile Lori has to sit there and take it all in.

Sound like much fun to you?

I say we because unfortunately a few bad apples on top can make the whole bushel look rotten if you don't throw the bad ones away.

Lets get Lori Chase back home to TSW where she belongs...

Added note: I would like to personally thank everyone here for all the strong support they have shown for Lori, and for also proving that people do really matter on TSW because people do really care, Thanks

Well then I suggest you get the MODERATOR back that banned me twice 2 and 3 years for calling these SAME idiots IDIOTS!!!

OMG - I can't believe this thread. So many old-timers popping their heads in.

It's hard to accept that so many under 30's just dont have the same manners that were taught to us "oldies".

Looks like you just might have to give this board another chance Lori. Hoping I haven't lost my "road game buddy".

OMG - I can't believe this thread. So many old-timers popping their heads in.

It's hard to accept that so many under 30's just dont have the same manners that were taught to us "oldies".

Looks like you just might have to give this board another chance Lori. Hoping I haven't lost my "road game buddy".

I for one hope that Lori does come back - However I understand her reasons for leaving. There are too many people on this board who believe it is their job to correct, criticize, and insult people with different viewpoints. TSW is almost unreadable these days.

I for one hope that Lori does come back - However I understand her reasons for leaving. There are too many people on this board who believe it is their job to correct, criticize, and insult people with different viewpoints. TSW is almost unreadable these days.

That opinion's not just wrong, it's stupid. Those types of people are a minority, and you're an idiot to think otherwise.

That opinion's not just wrong, it's stupid. Those types of people are a minority, and you're an idiot to think otherwise.

LMAO!

You had me for a second, and for that good sir, here is your limerick:

There once was a great poster named Lori

Who was known to pen a good story

But after a long day, the idiots Chased her away

And she went off to seek greater glory