Guys, this starting front-five is a disaster

I know it's been re-hashed again and again, but I still can't come to grips with it.

How on Earth is this offense going to do ANYTHING with the starting front-five looking like it is now?

Assume no trade for Gaither (it becomes less likely each day). Your starting front-five looks like this:

D. Bell (coming off of serious knee injury; wasn't strong enough or good enough before the injury)

Levitre (solid but young)

Hangartner (average-to-below-average last year, but at least he has some experience)

Wood (coming off of serious leg injury; may not be ready for season)

Green (old; sucks)

Backups are Meredith, Wang, Hennessy, Calloway.

Yikes.

I fail to see how this unit holds up for one game, let alone an entire season. Very little talent, almost no experience, and ZERO depth. Is this coaching staff setting itself up for disaster? I understand that Rome wasn't built in a day, but they've done almost NOTHING to address what was the weakest (and most important) link heading into the offseason.

I know the common refrain is that this team still ran the ball fairly well last year with the line in shambles, and that Gailey's playcalling and schemes will help make up the difference. Well, I'm calling B.S. on that argument. This team couldn't run a normal offense last year because it had no blockers. If I hear Gailey say during a post-game interview - even one freakin' time - that the offense wasn't able to be effective because the blocking wasn't holding up, then he will officially have lost me. There are no excuses. Either they have a plan, or they plan to fail.

Really, look at this roster and tell me you're not terrified.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got some good weapons in Evans, Jax, Lynch, and now Spiller. The problem is with that sad sack of crap O-line there's going to be little time for the QB to stand in the pocket and no holes open for the RB's to get thru. The Bills are positioning themselves well for the 1st pick of the draft in 2011. :)

I know it's been re-hashed again and again, but I still can't come to grips with it.

How on Earth is this offense going to do ANYTHING with the starting front-five looking like it is now?

Assume no trade for Gaither (it becomes less likely each day). Your starting front-five looks like this:

D. Bell (coming off of serious knee injury; wasn't strong enough or good enough before the injury)

Hangartner (average-to-below-average last year, but at least he has some experience)

Green (old; sucks)

Yikes.

I fail to see how this unit holds up for one game, let alone an entire season. Very little talent, almost no experience, and ZERO depth. Is this coaching staff setting itself up for disaster? I understand that Rome wasn't built in a day, but they've done almost NOTHING to address what was the weakest (and most important) link heading into the offseason.

I know the common refrain is that this team still ran the ball fairly well last year with the line in shambles, and that Gailey's playcalling and schemes will help make up the difference. Well, I'm calling B.S. on that argument. This team couldn't run a normal offense last year because it had no blockers. If I hear Gailey say during a post-game interview - even one freakin' time - that the offense wasn't able to be effective because the blocking wasn't holding up, then he will officially have lost me. There are no excuses. Either they have a plan, or they plan to fail.

Actually, this team couldn't run a normal offense because they spent all training camp working on running the no-huddle, found out mid pre-season it didn't work, then fired their OC just days before the season, along with their starting LT, then scrapped the no-huddle, and suffered numerous injuries on the O-line. So no, I'm not terrrified. Especially when this is year 1 of a new regime.

I think Wood is the crushing blow. He was playing really good ball last year and with a full off-season of strength and conditioning, I think he was set to take big step this year.

The tackles are what they are....terrible. There is little doubt that we will struggle with off-the-edge pass rushes and will likely have to keep a TE/RB back on most pass plays.

Pass protection doesn't look promising, but if it weren't for Wood's injury, I'd at least feel comfortable that our running game (which I assume will be a big part of the offense this year) would be competent. I'd hope we have a lot of counters and screens* built into this playbook.

It's going to be very interesting who (if anyone) steps up on the OL this year. One thing's for sure though, as weak as our 1st string looks, cross your damn fingers for no injuries or things will turn from ugly to comical really fast.

*Speaking of screens...am I the only one who prays to the gods we can develop a good screen pass system again? I thought Marshawn would have been a great screen guy and now with Spiller....WOW! Watching old tapes of Thurman is like poetry in motion.

Green (old; sucks)

Yikes.

I'm not because I see the whole picture. The Pass protection sucked because of all the guys on IR AND ****ty QB's. That is FACT.

Another FACT, this OL put up the 16th best run offense and made a nobody a 1000 yard rusher.

Some of you need to stop with the pure bull **** you are spewing because it is exactly that, bull ****. This team and its Lines are NOT anywhere near as bad as stupid fans and stupid media make them out to be.

Better strength and conditioning, better coaching, better systems and hopefully better QB play (brohm or brown) and this team is going to make good strides this year.

I'm not because I see the whole picture. The Pass protection sucked because of all the guys on IR AND ****ty QB's. That is FACT.

Another FACT, this OL put up the 16th best run offense and made a nobody a 1000 yard rusher.

Some of you need to stop with the pure bull **** you are spewing because it is exactly that, bull ****. This team and its Lines are NOT anywhere near as bad as stupid fans and stupid media make them out to be.

Better strength and conditioning, better coaching, better systems and hopefully better QB play (brohm or brown) and this team is going to make good strides this year.

I agree. Gailey & Nix brought in two strength & conditioning coaches, 1 to specialize on the linemen, the other on the WR's & DB's. With less injuries, that alone should bring the Bills 2-3 more wins.

Fred Jsckson averaged 4.5 ypc last season behind this line and its injuries and playing in a cracker jack offense

True, and that was with 6 different OT's including the likes of backup Meredith (off of Green Bayts PS) , Jonathan Scott (cut by the Lions) and Curt Chambers (cut by the Bills) , and Andre Ramsey (Bills PS).

The interior of this line is good and getting better.

Levitre is very smart and solid and will be getting better. He has great upside.

Hangartner was solid. He had a fine season playing inbetween two rookies. Every center in this league is going to have some bad plays playing in the AFC East against the NT's in our division. Every center will lose a battle or two in every game. I don't understand all this Hangartner was below average stuff. He did a good job, not a Pro Bowler by any means but solid.

Wood was excellent and looked like a stud. He is recovering from the injury.

Tackle is the problem. RT could be OK with either Green of Meredith. Green is a servicable vet.

Bell is not my favorite choice at LT and I hope Nix can bring in Gaither or at least some other veteran. Wang and Calloway need to develop and should be backups.

Summary - this line is one LT away from being very good. Depth is a concern but hey, we are rebuilding, like it or not.

[Automated Response]

We suck. The coaching staff sucks. The players suck. We have no hope of ever winning a championship. Oh woe is me.

The world is coming to an end. Doomsday! December 21, 2012...we're all gonna die....AAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! (get real!)

If we end up getting either Gaither or Brown for the left side how much of a disaster are we?

Levitre: Started all 16 and was NFL all rookie team

Hangartner: was solid and stared all 16 games (PS this is one center not overpaid for what he can do only making 10 mil over 4 yrs, hell not much more than fowler made)

Wood: this guy is nasty as long as he comes back healthy

RT: only "weak spot"..who knows maybe green can be good enough

anyways we have two young guys in the interior who can get the job done and if you add a stud LT this line is going to be a lot better than just a disaster...

Green (old; sucks)

Yikes.

Why would I be terrified? I'm not the QB. If your worried about getting sacked in your own living room then I would figure that problem out first.

[Automated Response]

We suck. The coaching staff sucks. The players suck. We have no hope of ever winning a championship. Oh woe is me.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO JUST SWITCH TEAMS -- AS A FAN OF THE BILLS WE DON'T NEED OTHERS LIKE YOU THAT CALL YOUR SELF A FAN OF THIS TEAM AROUND !! HEY THE RAIDERS ARE IN NEED OF A FEW CRAPPY FANS WHY DON'T YOU JOIN THEM !!!

Fred Jsckson averaged 4.5 ypc last season behind this line and its injuries and playing in a cracker jack offense

Actually, it wasn't that line, as in the OP. Levitre and Hangartner, but the rest of it was a blur of random players (some mentioned in other posts in the thread, some not). Not that any of it matters at all, since the offense of last year has mercifully ceased to exist.

I think Fred was #2 in the league in Yards After Contact - which is good for Fred but a bad commentary on last year's line.

Christ, our oline is fine. Even if we don't get Gaither. It's all going to be keyed off the run--just like it has everywhere Gailey has been. Look at that Miami line he had for two years....

$ 60 John Bock C/G 6-3 295 2000 6 Indiana St.

$ 61 Tim Ruddy C 6-3 300 2004 7 Notre Dame

$ 63 Mark Dixon OG 6-4 300 2002 3 Virginia

$ 65 Kevin Donnalley OG 6-5 310 2000 10 N.Carolina

+ 66 Heath Irwin OG 6-4 300 2003 5 Colorado

! 71 Todd Wade OT 6-8 319 2003 R Mississippi

$ 74 Brent Smith OT 6-5 315 2002 4 Miss. St.

$ 78 Richmond Webb OT 6-6 315 2000 11 Texas A&M

+ 60 Spencer Folau OT 6-5 315 2001 6 Idaho

= 65 Troy Andrew C 6-4 297 2001 R Duke

+ 75 Todd Perry OG 6-5 308 2005 8 Kentucky

+ 76 Marcus Spriggs OT 6-3 315 2003 5 Houston

Not exactly a list of Who's Who is it? Sometimes I swear you f'ing people B word just to hear yourselves whine.

Green (old; sucks)

Yikes.

If we end up getting either Gaither or Brown for the left side how much of a disaster are we?

Levitre: Started all 16 and was NFL all rookie team

Hangartner: was solid and stared all 16 games (PS this is one center not overpaid for what he can do only making 10 mil over 4 yrs, hell not much more than fowler made)

Wood: this guy is nasty as long as he comes back healthy

RT: only "weak spot"..who knows maybe green can be good enough

anyways we have two young guys in the interior who can get the job done and if you add a stud LT this line is going to be a lot better than just a disaster...

+1

Coach Tuesday's analysis is terrible. The inside of our line is set and it's a darn good one too if Wood can return to form. We are very weak at T. Nonetheless, a trade a a legitimate starter turns what would have been a below average starter (Bell/Wang) into a pretty decent backup. The OL is 2 players away from being a strength. 1 player away from being respectable.

As one poster already mentioned, look at the line that the Dolphins had with Gailey, as well as the lines that Nix helped assemble for Brees (and later Rivers).

Don't forget, we still have minicamp, where they can take a look at the vets and see if they're a fit or not - and then decide to trade for / sign an adequate starter or stopgap.

Totally disagree. I think he does a very good job, and this isn't saying much, but he's probably the best center the Bills have had since Kent Hull. He's not in Hull's league yet, but the Bills have had AWFUL centers since Hull retired. Hangartner is the best of the group.

+1

Coach Tuesday's analysis is terrible. The inside of our line is set and it's a darn good one too if Wood can return to form. We are very weak at T. Nonetheless, a trade a a legitimate starter turns what would have been a below average starter (Bell/Wang) into a pretty decent backup. The OL is 2 players away from being a strength. 1 player away from being respectable.

Completely agree.

Well, first of all, it's only football, so I'm not "terrified".

Secondly, I like our guys. The silver lining to all the injuries is that lots of guys got valuable playing time and nothing beats real game experience in the NFL. I think we're going to be OK.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO JUST SWITCH TEAMS -- AS A FAN OF THE BILLS WE DON'T NEED OTHERS LIKE YOU THAT CALL YOUR SELF A FAN OF THIS TEAM AROUND !! HEY THE RAIDERS ARE IN NEED OF A FEW CRAPPY FANS WHY DON'T YOU JOIN THEM !!!

Gotta love an all-caps response.

DO YOU SUFFER FROM VOICE IMMODULATION?

Green (old; sucks)

Yikes.

Speak for yourself, moron.

I think Wood is the crushing blow. He was playing really good ball last year and with a full off-season of strength and conditioning, I think he was set to take big step this year.

The tackles are what they are....terrible. There is little doubt that we will struggle with off-the-edge pass rushes and will likely have to keep a TE/RB back on most pass plays.

Pass protection doesn't look promising, but if it weren't for Wood's injury, I'd at least feel comfortable that our running game (which I assume will be a big part of the offense this year) would be competent. I'd hope we have a lot of counters and screens* built into this playbook.

It's going to be very interesting who (if anyone) steps up on the OL this year. One thing's for sure though, as weak as our 1st string looks, cross your damn fingers for no injuries or things will turn from ugly to comical really fast.

*Speaking of screens...am I the only one who prays to the gods we can develop a good screen pass system again? I thought Marshawn would have been a great screen guy and now with Spiller....WOW! Watching old tapes of Thurman is like poetry in motion.

This.... I agree completely with the screen passes and mentioned that in a thread a couple of weeks ago... Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller could run some fantastic screens and counters.... but it all depends on the line... Just like you stated, the OTs and Wood's rehab are the biggest concerns...

At the end of the day, the questions on the OL, the daunting schedule the Bills have along with a very competitive division and the defensive switch to the 3-4 could be too much for a rebuilding team... 2011 (if there isn't a strike) may be the year this team starts climbing its way out... I'm on board with Nix thus far, but am still unsure about Gailey... Time will tell...

The OL is a question mark like the rest of the offense. Have no idea how good or how bad they are.

It's tough to spot any trends when all of us fans got a shot at playing OL last year due to all the injuries, plus you had 2-3 rookies starting on any given game day.

I can't stress enough that continuity and coaching matters. Trading your LT, canning your OC, adapting to the no-huddle, then throwing that away when it didn't work, protecting three different quarterbacks, all with different throwing progressions and ability to read the defense and routes, canning your HC mid-season, plus all the injuries...it makes Fred Jackson's achievements last year look like weekly miracles.

Last year was such an epic mess, and this team still won six games. I think that's a sign that the team has talent.

Speak for yourself, moron.

Read his posts. He isn't a moron. We are fans of a team that was destroyed by Levy/Jauron, literally destroyed. The OL is very bad and this isn't new. Levy/Jauron blew chance after chance to build it up, choosing instead to draft a slew of defensive backs, and trade a damn good left tackle in the process.

The Bills are going to continue to lose until they solve this issue. How much do you need to see to believe this?

Guys seriously, this is a moderator's response in a tone I suspect as very tongue in cheek, and a sarcastic response to the OP's original post.

I also don't share the OPs feelings, but I do worry about depth and who we have starting at LT, RT, C, LG and RG. OMG!!! we are all going to die!! :)

Seriously... if these guys can come back from injury, stay healthy, and execute a decent scheme, the O-Line should be at the very least, serviceable next year.

The Bills will end up trading for Gaither or J. Brown before the season starts. That move will do wonders for their starting O-Line.

I can forsee the following starters on the O-line to open the season:

LT: J. Gaither (very big, strong, athletic, proven)

LG: J. Levitre (strong, athletic, solid performer last year)

OC: Hangartner (vet OC with lots of experience, can hold his own)

RG: E. Wood (may be our best OL when healthy, very strong, tough, mean streak)

RT: C. Brown or possibly Meredith or someone else (this is the potential problem position).

When completely healthy, I think Gaither, Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood make up a very solid group. It's the RT position that I would be most concerned about at this point (as long as Gaither is acquired).

The OL is a question mark like the rest of the offense. Have no idea how good or how bad they are.

It's tough to spot any trends when all of us fans got a shot at playing OL last year due to all the injuries, plus you had 2-3 rookies starting on any given game day.

I can't stress enough that continuity and coaching matters. Trading your LT, canning your OC, adapting to the no-huddle, then throwing that away when it didn't work, protecting three different quarterbacks, all with different throwing progressions and ability to read the defense and routes, canning your HC mid-season, plus all the injuries...it makes Fred Jackson's achievements last year look like weekly miracles.

Last year was such an epic mess, and this team still won six games. I think that's a sign that the team has talent.

You hit everything right on the head. Great post!

Green (old; sucks)

Yikes.

Jerry H Christmas, can you guys just GIVE IT A REST?

Green (old; sucks)

Yikes.

The only position I am terrified of is LT.

IIRC, Wood is on pace to be ready by the regular season (if not sooner).

Both Wood and Levitre return to the OG (please, stop with the Levitre to LT nonsense. As Nix said, why weaken 2 positions),

and Hangartner will benefit not having to deal with 2 rookies (not saying Pro Bowl, but he should be better than last year).

If Green can produce on a level like Walker did when he has here, that will be an increase over what we had (combined) last year.

It still will not be an elite line, but it should not be the bottom dweller like last year.