Post your ideas for next year's Super Bowl halftime show

Let me say I thought the Who were quite good...considering they are pushing 70! :thumbsup: My wife who grew up a huge Who fan was aghast at how old Daltrey and Townshend looked. And frankly Daltrey had to tone it down just to keep his voice from giving out.

It made me think about why the NFL keeps dredging up these fossil bands? I mean the median age of a Who fan is probably 55. The median age of an NFL fan is much younger. So where does the NFL go next year? What 60's rock bands are left? Any other ideas from other decades?

If I were to predict I think the NFL will chose a country artist for SBXLV.

PTR

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me say I thought the Who were quite good...considering they are pushing 70! :blush: My wife who grew up a huge Who fan was aghast at how old Daltrey and Townshend looked. And frankly Daltrey had to tone it down just to keep his voice from giving out.

It made me think about why the NFL keeps dredging up these fossil bands? I mean the median age of a Who fan is probably 55. The median age of an NFL fan is much younger. So where does the NFL go next year? What 60's rock bands are left? Any other ideas from other decades?

PTR

Oh, forget the 60s - and the 70s for that matter. BRING ON THE 80s!!!! I'd like to see Devo in their funky "energy dome" hats!

"When a problem comes along, you must whip it..." :thumbsup:

Let me say I thought the Who were quite good...considering they are pushing 70! :thumbsup: My wife who grew up a huge Who fan was aghast at how old Daltrey and Townshend looked. And frankly Daltrey had to tone it down just to keep his voice from giving out.

PTR

This should be the easiest question ever...The Foo Fighters.

Perfect mix of energy and great music. Plus, I know 18 year olds and 60 year olds who enjoy their music...they'd be the perfect cross-generational band to play the halftime show.

I'm 41 and consider The Who one of my favorite bands.

If they choose what passes for modern "country" for next year I'll certainly tune out. Most modern country is absolute crap played by no-talent assclowns.

I bet they stick with "classic" rock. I would guess someone like Fogarty. Maybe even someone crappy but with widespread appeal like Bon Jovi. If not classic rock, then maybe Stevie Wonder or someone like that. Or they could be retro and go with Up With People for the millionth time.

PTR

Perfect mix of energy and great music. Plus, I know 18 year olds and 60 year olds who enjoy their music...they'd be the perfect cross-generational band to play the halftime show.

I would LOVE that.

I mean the median age of a Who fan is probably 55. The median age of an NFL fan is much younger.

I don't believe that's true anymore. The greatest growth in the NFL fan base was with the Baby Boomer generation (and if you were born between 1946 and 1964, that's you). The Baby Bust generation that followed that one is also a strong supporter of the NFL. But the younger kids seem to be more interested in other sports and pastimes. Even when they like the NFL, they usually rank it lower on their list than other sports and pastimes.

Well, since the Timberlake/Jackson wardrobe malfunction we have been treated to "legends" ever since.

2005 Paul Mcartney

2006 The Stones

2007 Prince

2008 Tom Petty

2009 Springstein

2010 The Who

They seem to be shying away from hot women who can (or cannot) sing. I say bring is a bunch of hot females that may have marginal talent but are smoking hot, for the TV audience, we get treated to some nice shots and we can just turn the sound down if they are unbearable.

I don't believe that's true anymore. The greatest growth in the NFL fan base was with the Baby Boomer generation (and if you were born between 1946 and 1964, that's you). The Baby Bust generation that followed that one is also a strong supporter of the NFL. But the younger kids seem to be more interested in other sports and pastimes. Even when they like the NFL, they usually rank it lower on their list than other sports and pastimes.

Well said......they may be playing to the median age of the crowd who spends the $$ to attend the game and all its periferal activities and/or makes the advertising decisions for all the corporate sponsors.

I'm definitely down with this. Great choice.

Well, since the Timberlake/Jackson wardrobe malfunction we have been treated to "legends" ever since.

2005 Paul Mcartney

2006 The Stones

2007 Prince

2008 Tom Petty

2009 Springstein

2010 The Who

They seem to be shying away from hot women who can (or cannot) sing. I say bring is a bunch of hot females that may have marginal talent but are smoking hot, for the TV audience, we get treated to some nice shots and we can just turn the sound down if they are unbearable.

My vote would be for the Goo Goo Dolls....great songs and not very risky. They will just rock out the place.

How about 'none of the above' for all the crappy over-the-hill-rock/lame-modern-pop acts for an 8 minute 'concert'. There has never been one act - ever - that I cared to see.

Instead, stop making halftime 3X as long as it's supposed to be because of all the necessary set up and give a local high school marching band a thrill by letting them play.

The Who sounded good for the Who but lets face it most young people probably didn't remember any of the songs they did unless they watch CSI. They weren't the primier supergroups of the time (Beatles, Stones, LZ, Hendrix) but indeed had a following because of the success of Tommy the rock opera.

So why not dredge up Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd or the Police. Some one that actually kicked some butt back in the day.

Some suggestions for next year.

Frankie Avalon

Bobby Rydell

Freddie and the Dreamers

The Zombies

Hermans Hermits

Tommy James and the Shondells

1910 Fruitgum Company

The Grass Roots

or last but not least the Dave Clark 5, 4, 3 ,2 , or 1

Where in the hell is Tiny Tim when you need him.

I am glad that the posters here are about as far away from this decision as possible. That is purely based out of my personal dislike for the Foo-Fighters and the Goo-Goo-Dolls.

The Who were a terrible pick. It was way past their bed times. I am a Who fan. It was almost sad to see that.

I agree with the proposition of shortening the half-time.

The Who sounded good for the Who but lets face it most young people probably didn't remember any of the songs they did unless they watch CSI. They weren't the primier supergroups of the time (Beatles, Stones, LZ, Hendrix) but indeed had a following because of the success of Tommy the rock opera.

So why not dredge up Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd or the Police. Some one that actually kicked some butt back in the day.

Some suggestions for next year.

Frankie Avalon

Bobby Rydell

Freddie and the Dreamers

The Zombies

Hermans Hermits

Tommy James and the Shondells

1910 Fruitgum Company

The Grass Roots

or last but not least the Dave Clark 5, 4, 3 ,2 , or 1

Where in the hell is Tiny Tim when you need him.

Just get Rod Stewart to do a cover of each one of your stellar lineup

I love the Who.

FWIW - a friend of mine who was at the game told me that the sound was much better at the stadium than we he played it on his DVR when he got home.

Sounded much better in headphones as well.

As for next year, since we're on the advent of 3D and holographics, I say we keep with the codger aspect and bring dead singers back. Elvis, Lennon, Morrison, Sinatra all do a number, then Jimmy finishing it with the Star Spangled Banner.

Some good suggestions here. The Eagles would fit the "legend" requirement. Plus they crossover to country fans, and they aren't too old to play. The suggestion about Fox & American Idol is scary yet possible. As popular as Lady Gaga is she probably scares the crap out of the NFL. While were are talking about the Foo Fighters, how about Them Crooked Vultures too?

PTR

Sounded much better in headphones as well.

As for next year, since we're on the advent of 3D and holographics, I say we keep with the codger aspect and bring dead singers back. Elvis, Lennon, Morrison, Sinatra all do a number, then Jimmy finishing it with the Star Spangled Banner.

Is Micheal Jackson too "fresh" to fit into the lineup?

My wife and I thought their voices sounded horrible, and my wife also commented on how old they looked. My only answer to that was ... they are!

I wonder if the reason they keep getting these fossil bands is because the NFL audience in general is more older than younger? Even most of the commercials seemed to be aimed at an older (i.e. > 30) audience.

It's all about demographics. WHO has the money? WHO can afford to attend a Super Bowl Game? If the Stadium was not packed, what kind of message would that send regarding the popularity of the game?

Until that changes we're stuck with the WHO etc.

I though the Half Time Show was a joke. The sets were superior but the WHO???? Better they had performed behind a wall or curtain because looking at them was absolutely laughable. The only thing that was missing was a "wardrobe" failure!

AC/DC would be a great choice for the show. They're old and somewhat non-threatening, so they fit the NFL criteria and having just seem them last November, those geezers still rock out with their roosters out. Would actually make for a very, very HIGH energy half-time show. Except Hells Bells would be off the set list...and maybe Whole Lotta Rosie.