unsubstantiated rumors thread: COWER TO BUFFALO!!

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He DOES want to coach. He DOES NOT WANT TO COACH HERE, and won't.

This all is pretty obvious from the various reports out there, I don't know why folks here can't get it through their skulls. Stop avoiding reality: Cowher thinks Buffalo sucks. Most of the world agrees with him. Eat it, own it, and crap it out already people.

Can someone explain to me how they "know" that Cowher doesn't want to coach in Buffalo? Is it because he hasn't been signed yet, two days after the end of the season? Is it because of the reports based on people "close" to Cowher that he might return to CBS? Is it based on the speculative reports that he doesn't want to end up in Buffalo and would prefer Carolina or Tampa?

If these are what people are basing it on, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to claim that it is blatantly obvious that Cowher doesn't want to coach here is just wrong in my opinion.

The only hard evidence we have of Cowher's actions is that he met with the Bills. I don't see the irrefutable evidence that shows this was a smokescreen or merely a courtesy meeting.

sounds like he's watching from the sidelines like everyone else.

Exactly right. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the only person who has had information on the Cowher situation that turned out to be correct is Coach Sal. Everyone else is acting like the have good sources, but it's clear by the contradicting reports that almost all of them are dead wrong.

Listening to Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL radio is becoming more and more like listening to Grandpa Simpson. He starts every call with a left field factoid leaving the caller dumbfounded. "Hey Bill from Buffalo, did you know that brown chickens lay brown eggs?" "Uhhhhhhh, yeah...about the Bills coaching search..."

PTR

But, but, but Shefter and Mort said he's going back to CBS. This can in no way possible be true. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and but but but......this guys sounds like he's also citing "reports" made by the East Aurora garbage that is now circulating because PFT put it out there.

What a joke. In other words again, La Canfora has no idea either.

He knows that when he was hired in Pittsburgh, that the players were already in place. his job was to build on what was there.

They were?

In the seven years prior to Cowher's arrival in 1992, the Steelers went 7-9, 6-10, 8-7 (strike year), 5-11, 9-7, 9-7 and 7-9. Mediocrity. There's a reason you don't remember the Bills playing the Steelers in the playoffs during our little run until Cowher got to Pittsburgh: the Steelers weren't IN the playoffs for seven years in a row.

The year before Cowher got there, Neil O'Donnell and Bubby Brister were throwing to Dwight Stone and Louis Lipps. (They did have a young Eric Green and a young Barry Foster.) They had a few kids on defense -- Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd -- but none of them, save perhaps Woodson, had become what they would become under Cowher.

When Cowher got there in 1992, the Steelers drafted Leon Searcy in the first round and Levon Kirkland in the second. That year, they started 10-3 (after not having won 10 games in any of the previous seven years, mind you), went 11-5, won the division and made the playoffs.

His job was NOT to build on what was there. His job was to take a once-proud, then-stagnant franchise and breathe new life into it. That he did. Almost immediately, I might add.

Guest dog14787
I miss bitching about games. The offseason is a giant soap opera.

and dogonit, the last game didn't give us much to complain about...

I know Jimbo has a ton going on with his sons foundation but boy oh boy do i wish Jimbo would reconsider and throw his name into the hat of coaching possibilities ! You want fire ? You want a leader ? You want a man that knows offenses ? You want a man that on most occasions knows how to exploit a defenses weakness ? Finaly, do we all want a coach we can trust and know HE IS doing everything in his power to make this team great once again ? You're answer is none other then Jim Kelly ! I seen his passion and fire during the presser introducing Buddy as the new GM and man do i miss Jimbo's presence period !

Listening to Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL radio is becoming more and more like listening to Grandpa Simpson. He starts every call with a left field factoid leaving the caller dumbfounded. "Hey Bill from Buffalo, did you know that brown chickens lay brown eggs?" "Uhhhhhhh, yeah...about the Bills coaching search..."

PTR

Another hilarious "PTR" quote! My fav is still the one where Ralph Wilson "traded for a cardboard cut-out of Peyton Manning!"

PTR

Gil drives me crazy I can never follow the conversation at all. He is terrible as a radio guy

I think Cowher does want to coach this year. Just not in Buffalo if he can help it. Right now the Bills are Cowher's "date insurance" for the prom. He knows he can dance with us but is waiting to see if any prettier girls will go with him.

While Cowher can always go back to CBS I think he feels like he can't waste another year from the NFL. The longer he's out of coaching the more the game will pass him by. That's why he can't bring himself to say no to the Bills like Shanahan did.

When it comes down to it, and no better jobs are available, he may say yes eventually. The problem for Buffalo is we can't wait around for Cowher to decide. We have to look at other candidates.

PTR

That's a good post, in line with what I've been thinking. If I were GM I suppose I'd give him no more than week's end to sh&t :thumbsup: or get off the pot. There are other candidates!

IIRC, during the Nix press conference, he said that if a big name coach doesn't come here it will not be Ralph's fault. He also stated that they won't wait long for candidates to make make up their mind and that they want to move quickly in this process. I think Cowher has until the end of this week at the latest...Once we start interviewing other candidates , the ship will have sailed...

Also from NFL.com (Steve Wyche)

Bills next HC? Steve Wyche, NFL.com

Hey Ryan, We have a couple of these. We're trying to flush out to see of the Bill Cowher thing has some teeth to it but Brian Billick and Mike Martz could be in the mix. Don't sleep on someone like Green Bay assistant head coach Winston Moss, who I've heard also is a possibility in Cleveland.

I know Jimbo has a ton going on with his sons foundation but boy oh boy do i wish Jimbo would reconsider and throw his name into the hat of coaching possibilities ! You want fire ? You want a leader ? You want a man that knows offenses ? You want a man that on most occasions knows how to exploit a defenses weakness ? Finaly, do we all want a coach we can trust and know HE IS doing everything in his power to make this team great once again ? You're answer is none other then Jim Kelly ! I seen his passion and fire during the presser introducing Buddy as the new GM and man do i miss Jimbo's presence period !

Please tell me your joking. I love Kelly as much as the next guy but if they name him coach we might as well..........

this has been stated ad nauseum on a ton of other threads....

Bill Cowher is by far the best coach possibly available in my opinion and gives RW the best chance of bringing home a Championship to Buffalo in his lifetime.

Keep your fingers crossed fellas.

I, for one, will hold out hope for Cowher as our new coach. Just because I've been disappointed by the Bills in the past, doesn't mean I give up hope for the best.

C'mon Buffalo 'Bill'!

I am also hoping that Bill Cowher will be our next coach, but I'm telling myself not to expect it and expect someone like B. Billick or Marty Shottenheimer which would also please me somewhat...but not like hiring Bill Cowher! He is just the best coaching prospect IMO...even better than Shananhan IMO. I sure wish they would make this happen soon as I am getting tired of all the speculation and conflicting reports!! All I wanted for Christmas was Bill Cowher as our new coach !! Please Santa better late than never! :thumbsup:

and you have proof of this exactly how? did you have a conversation with Bill?

all these pieces of speculation stated as Gospel truth are pretty damn funny....

He DOES want to coach. He DOES NOT WANT TO COACH HERE, and won't.

This all is pretty obvious from the various reports out there, I don't know why folks here can't get it through their skulls. Stop avoiding reality: Cowher thinks Buffalo sucks. Most of the world agrees with him. Eat it, own it, and crap it out already people.

in his chat

WHO'S GOING TO BE THE HEAD COACH IN BUFFALO? IS IT COWLER,BILLICK, OR SOMEONE ELSE? Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Brian, I think the person that probably has the best chance is Bill Cowher. I think he's got an interest -- and I think he would be a great pick for the Bills because it would give them instant credibility. Still a long shot. Otherwise, I couldn't venture to throw any other names out there. I know the new GM Buddy Nix is close friends with Marty Schottenheimer, but I hear Marty has denied interest in getting back into coaching.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/691#alert

Dude, if they hire some guy named Cowler, I'm gonna be PISSED!

Also from NFL.com (Steve Wyche)

Bills next HC? Steve Wyche, NFL.com

Hey Ryan, We have a couple of these. We're trying to flush out to see of the Bill Cowher thing has some teeth to it but Brian Billick and Mike Martz could be in the mix. Don't sleep on someone like Green Bay assistant head coach Winston Moss, who I've heard also is a possibility in Cleveland.

And again, nothing here either.

I think Cowher does want to coach this year. Just not in Buffalo if he can help it. Right now the Bills are Cowher's "date insurance" for the prom. He knows he can dance with us but is waiting to see if any prettier girls will go with him.

While Cowher can always go back to CBS I think he feels like he can't waste another year from the NFL. The longer he's out of coaching the more the game will pass him by. That's why he can't bring himself to say no to the Bills like Shanahan did.

When it comes down to it, and no better jobs are available, he may say yes eventually. The problem for Buffalo is we can't wait around for Cowher to decide. We have to look at other candidates.

PTR

I agree. And I say the Bills should move quickly on a different candidate. Cowher is a good coach, but there are others.

Then on the other hand all of these "sources" and reports could be total BS. Journalism has gone down hill. Everybody is a blogger who blogs news from other bloggers and who the hell knows what's true. Coach Sal is the only person who had it right from the start. So maybe Cowher is interested in the gig and maybe all of these "sources' close to him are negotiating tactics. TB, Carolina, Houston and Chicago aren't possibilities right now. Unless TB lied to Morris.

Good one. :thumbsup: