Fox Sports profile on Keon Coleman

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I get the sense you are one of the those with doubts lol. He had great production in the back to back years he started at two different schools with two very different offenses, including his first and only year at FSU having to learn a new offense on a run first team. If you watched the film it was clear he was very important to that offense. Many great NFL players didn't have high end production in college, where a lot of times production is scheme dependent.  Calvin Johnson would have had 100+ catches and 2000 yard per season if he didn't play for Ga Tech. 

Yes, I am.  My sensibilities do not allow me to envision Coleman as doing much beyond #3 production in the NFL.  It wasn't a preexisting bias I came into the analysis with.  I've now spent about 20 (or more) hours reviewing his play, cataloging each and every pass attempt/target/reception into a database, and have analyzed that extensively.  I came that determination while doing that.  BTW, did you realize that a third of his receptions were caught behind the Line of Scrimmage?  

But I'll tell you what, I'll make the very same offer that I've made with several people here, that only one person has taken me up on yet, and as a result expressed equal concerns.  

Watch this video of his every pass last season at FSU, and do several things:  

Provide the time stamp of every play that makes you see something beyond incredibly ordinary in him;  

Provide any video evidence that suggests that he'll be more than just another WR incapable of being a #1 or #2 as this forum seems to define it;  

Explain why you believe that he'll be better than Davis;  

Lastly, explain why his style of plays lends itself to any particular success in the NFL.  

We all know the narratives, particularly in Bills Land, but the reality is somewhat different, particularly on his "contested catches" schtick, which PFF points out in an excellently written piece, here's the link;  https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-florida-state-keon-coleman-polarizing-wide-receiver-prospect 

Here's the link to the video, let me know if you're game, I'd love to go through it with you.  This time of year there's not much else to do.  LOL  

14 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Because he didn't have a high-end Qb throwing to him. Let's see his production with Josh.

We've had quite a few WRs come through here whose production here during Josh's time was less than it was elsewhere.  In fact, every season people say the same thing.  Last season it was Harty and Sherfield, how'd that work out?  

Watch that video and say whether or not you think Josh being his QB is going to make a pronounced difference.  As well, I'd be ecstatic to go thru it with you here game by game if you like.  Again, it's the boring time of the year.  :) 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Somewhat of a long read but worth your time.

One nugget that I found interesting:

There's a much publicized quote from Beane after the draft where he said something to the effect of "it will be hard for Coleman to start from day one." This is the messaging the team always puts out there for their rookies to hear. But he let slip their real plans in the chaos of draft weekend - Coleman is going to be the early favorite for the starting X receiver. And based on this article I think he's going to quickly earn the trust of the coaching staff and win that role.

Really good read and fans need to take the time to read it. 

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's May. Talk is all you'll get for a few months...

Yup.  There was a lot of talk like this 6 years ago, also about the Bills' first draft pick.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Coleman was my choice and I got panned in the predraft and draft threads.  There is something intangible about him that makes me think he's going to have a significant impact.  While everyone focused on speed and separation, I was focused on he catches what is thrown to him.  Way too too too early to compare him to D-HOP but my hope is just that.  If the ball is thrown to D-HOP he catches it.  Nice article.  Agree that talk is cheap in May.  But for a rookie to get national media attention shows me I'm not the only one who likes the potential.  Very much like that he is a film hawk.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Historically speaking, relying on a rookie WR to make a significant impact is not wise.  Some have…a vast majority have not! 

Yeah but it's a re-tooling season anyways. Might as well get the rookie out there, let him develop his game and chemistry with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, I am.  My sensibilities do not allow me to envision Coleman as doing much beyond #3 production in the NFL.  It wasn't a preexisting bias I came into the analysis with.  I've now spent about 20 (or more) hours reviewing his play, cataloging each and every pass attempt/target/reception into a database, and have analyzed that extensively.  I came that determination while doing that.  BTW, did you realize that a third of his receptions were caught behind the Line of Scrimmage?  

But I'll tell you what, I'll make the very same offer that I've made with several people here, that only one person has taken me up on yet, and as a result expressed equal concerns.  

Provide the time stamp of every play that makes you see something beyond incredibly ordinary in him;  

Provide any video evidence that suggests that he'll be more than just another WR incapable of being a #1 or #2 as this forum seems to define it;  

Lastly, explain why his style of plays lends itself to any particular success in the NFL.  

We all know the narratives, particularly in Bills Land, but the reality is somewhat different, particularly on his "contested catches" schtick, which PFF points out in an excellently written piece, here's the link;  https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-florida-state-keon-coleman-polarizing-wide-receiver-prospect 

Here's the link to the video, let me know if you're game, I'd love to go through it with you.  This time of year there's not much else to do.  LOL  

We've had quite a few WRs come through here whose production here during Josh's time was less than it was elsewhere.  In fact, every season people say the same thing.  Last season it was Harty and Sherfield, how'd that work out?  

Watch that video and say whether or not you think Josh being his QB is going to make a pronounced difference.  As well, I'd be ecstatic to go thru it with you here game by game if you like.  Again, it's the boring time of the year.  :) 

He’s 20.  

Sorry…. Just turned 21 four days ago. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

He’s 20.  

Geez he’s already older than Tremaine Edmunds?!?!?

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Had been meaning to look at this so thanks for adding here.  Heres my quick list of beyond ordinary plays with a bit of why.  I also don't highlight a few plays that were big chunk plays that were created by his physicality.  Kids still learning the game as has been noted but I see him turn DBs around quite a bit already (wish we had all routes and not just broadcast views for most of these games). 

I did know that a lot of his work was in the screen game and am maybe a bit less excited for what he offers based on the video.  However, I am more excited for him as a vertical threat after the video.  Not sure FSU utilized him in a way to best showcase his talents. 

0:08 separation at release (poor throw)
0:16 Run after catch
3:04 separation at release (poor throw)
4:38 run after catch
5:40 created separation at stem (drop)
6:02 separation
6:15 heads up uncover
7:04 turned safety around (poor throw)
7:40 game winner contested
9:20 one handed contested
10:53 separation
12:30 run after catch
12:40 cooks zone coverage
13:15 cooks zone coverage
13:45 contested catch
14:50 yards after catch
15:17 one handed contested TD
18:10 And the foul TD
18:42 separation at release (wrong shoulder throw)
21:08 separation and run after catch

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Are you for real?  I only needed 2:00 of that video to find three big-time plays/catches -- and the QB play was pretty bad.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Look, there are exceptions both ways.  If you want to believe that he's on the positive side of that, great.  Time will tell though, not popular belief or consensus.  

Take a look at the WRs picked last year in the first two rounds.  

It's a mixed bag.  Quentin Johnston and Johnathan Mingo are the two that are most like Coleman and neither impressed in any way, shape, or form.    

Again, talk is cheap.  

Ironic that you are saying this 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Payton Thorne

Jordan Travis (2024 5th Round Pick)

Tate Rodemaker

vs.

CJ Stroud (2023 1st Round, 2nd Pick)

Anthony Richardson (2023 1st, 4th Pick)

Jayden Daniels (2024 1st Round, 2nd Pick)

Michael Penix Jr. (2024 1st Round, 8th Pick)

Quinn Ewers (Projected 2025 1st Round Pick)

🤷‍♂️

To be fair, Travis had a lot better production then a 5th round pick.  And was a better passer of the football then Anthony Richardson in college.  The problem was his leg was snapped like a toothpick late last season. 

But I am real excited about Coleman regardless who was throwing him the football in college.

Re-posting from the OTA thread:

Very first team drill of the very first OTA session open to the media and Coleman is getting starting reps. He's already earned the trust of the coaching staff. He'll be our day one X receiver IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doc said:

How many?  Maybe 2 (Coleman and Bishop).  If any other rookies start, it's gravy.

Cedric the Center will be starting.  Does not "need to", but I think he will.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I lol’d

It’s about the only thing he does quickly. Ask him what he could do quicker, eat an entire box of chocolate chip cookies or run the 40 and he’ll be finished with the box before he gets out of the blocks. 

• Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Josh Allen has made multiple receivers have the best years of their careers 

Including bums like Robert Foster who he literally made look like he could be an NFL receiver 

Dawson Knox never scored a touchdown in college.. he is now a Red zone threat thanks to Josh Allen

Everybody at Michigan State raves about the kid... Said he was the best offensive player they've had there in a while 

Went to Florida State and everybody at Florida State says he is the guy 

If he Daniel's throwing him the ball at LSU the dude would have went a lot higher and had a lot better stats lol he also could have went to LSU 

But went thousands of miles away to a running team because he wanted to get away from bad influences and mature 

Literally that last sentence will make him great in the NFL because he has the right mindset... And everybody is talented 

You're literally talking about like he's a JV football player LOL Kansas literally asked him to play football and basketball..  he's probably the only person in the world who has ever gotten that offer from Kansas 

He is a world-class athlete who is going to be a better pro than college player

Florida State had him returning punts because he was the best player on the team

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

He’s 20.  

OK, so?  

Maybe not draft players that are so young so that they don't take two or three seasons to develop.  Right?  

I mean what, is the insistence that we didn't draft him for this season?  Next season?   

So what.  That's a McBeane thing.  

Thanks for sharing, @HappyDays. For those that just come to poop any and all content:  No one is trying to sell you anything or deceive you into thinking something. Not the poster, and not the article writer. These are stories in the off-season. People like fans sometimes like to hear such things. The articles aren't here to prove that they've finally reached your personal level of what's acceptable on your football team. I picture your collective posting personas as a fat medieval king, grease on his lips, ordering his servants around with persistent displeasure.