Fox Sports profile on Keon Coleman

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

PBF81, you've made it clear here and elsewhere that you don't think much of Keon.  

But let me offer another view by Brentley Weisman, "Coleman has everything you want to be a team’s No. 1 option and will likely be a difference-maker early on in his NFL career... Prospect Projection: Day 1 — Pro Bowl Talent"

You're a knowledgeable poster.  But Weisman is a former NFL scout with the Chargers, Raiders, and Pats.  It would be hard for you to convince me that you're right and the NFL scout is wrong.  Especially when I want the scout to be right. 🙂

You can read Weisman's full profile on Coleman here:

thedraftnetwork.com/2023/12/20/keon-coleman-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

Literally everybody cramping on the pic without giving it a chance to succeed wouldn't know if a football was stuffed with feathers or filled with air 

I had half a dozen regional scouts tell me we got the steal of the draft when we picked him 

I had Florida State and Michigan State boosters text me and say we got the steal

I'm still on the road scouting the best high school players from now through November and then I go on the road for some college games after 

And anybody crapping on this 21 year old kid is lost... He might not be the next Superstar 

But he certainly has the talent

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Look, there are exceptions both ways.  If you want to believe that he's on the positive side of that, great.  Time will tell though, not popular belief or consensus.  

Take a look at the WRs picked last year in the first two rounds.  

It's a mixed bag.  Quentin Johnston and Johnathan Mingo are the two that are most like Coleman and neither impressed in any way, shape, or form.  

As stated, there are many people and sites that have noted that however.  

Well, OK, that's all fine and dandy, but it still doesn't translate to production nor render the fact that he lacked high-end production false.  

Again, talk is cheap.  And who really likes hearing that he won't be doing much early in the season?  As our first overall pick, even at the top of the 2nd, and given our sore lack of and dire need for WRs, that really shouldn't sit well with any Bills fan.  Also, in light of that, how long are we supposed to wait for production?  What, two, three seasons?  ... until he's up for a new contract?  

Just asking the tough questions here. 

Being the devils advocate isn’t necessarily the same as asking the accurate questions, 

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

If he's such a "stone-cold killer on the football field," then why the lack of high-end production.  

Talk is cheap this time of year.  Let's hope it translates to the field.  A lot of people have their doubts.  

Michael Jordan says “Hello.”

1 hour ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I disagree with your assertion of a low ceiling for McConkey. Good hands, decent size, a 4.3 40, excellent route running, excellent separation. There have been WRs with worse attributes than those, who have gone on to have high ceiling careers.

Well I think the Bills FO believes K Coleman has the higher ceiling because it looks like McConkey has the higher floor and they took Coleman over him.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott has to rely on rookies this year, More so than in the past.  

His philosophy with regard to rookies has been one of his most glaring flaws. 

Hoping he can let his arrogance stop getting in the way. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc said:

How many?  Maybe 2 (Coleman and Bishop).  If any other rookies start, it's gravy.

Not too different from last year where we knew Kincaid would start and be heavily relied on as our first pick.  Also, it would be helpful but not necessary if Torrence won the starting job as our 2nd pick.  I think the only real difference is the 3rd and 4th round pick were drafted in positions this year is where they could play a small percentage of the snaps in positions that traditionally rotate.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

His philosophy with regard to rookies has been one of his most glaring flaws. 

Hoping he can let his arrogance stop getting in the way. 

He's always been consistent with rookies.  If you're the best guy we can put out there at your position (combination of physical and mental readiness) then you start.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Look, there are exceptions both ways.  If you want to believe that he's on the positive side of that, great.  Time will tell though, not popular belief or consensus.  

Take a look at the WRs picked last year in the first two rounds.  

It's a mixed bag.  Quentin Johnston and Johnathan Mingo are the two that are most like Coleman and neither impressed in any way, shape, or form.  

As stated, there are many people and sites that have noted that however.  

Well, OK, that's all fine and dandy, but it still doesn't translate to production nor render the fact that he lacked high-end production false.  

Again, talk is cheap.  And who really likes hearing that he won't be doing much early in the season?  As our first overall pick, even at the top of the 2nd, and given our sore lack of and dire need for WRs, that really shouldn't sit well with any Bills fan.  Also, in light of that, how long are we supposed to wait for production?  What, two, three seasons?  ... until he's up for a new contract?  

Just asking the tough questions here. 

Yes.  Talk is cheap.  So why do you continue?  And that goes for others on the incessantly positive side as well.

At this point he is a Bill, he is going to play and we ALL need to get behind him.  

• Like (+1) 1

The more I read about Coleman, the more I like.  It looks like he doesn't take himself too seriously, but he does take the game of football (his job) very seriously.  If a slow 40 time at the Combine is his only flaw, he's going to turn out to be a good one.  He's a physical specimen, he's been very productive in college and appears to be a hard worker and team player who is genuinely excited to be a Buffalo Bill.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

You make a solid point.

That said . . . when I watched some of Josh Allen's college footage, I saw special throws. Throws deep downfield, into tight windows. Big boy throws that most NFL QBs can't make. That wasn't enough for me to make a prediction for or against Allen. I was on the fence about him after the draft, and for his first two years in the NFL. But there was enough there for me to say that he was flashing elite attributes at the college level.

I never got that sense with Coleman. I'm open to the possibility that Coleman's play improves over what he did in college. But I will need to see that improvement actually happen, before I get the anointing oil out for him.

With respect to your last sentence, don’t you think that’s the case for any draft pick?

4 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

The more I read about Coleman, the more I like.  It looks like he doesn't take himself too seriously, but he does take the game of football (his job) very seriously.  If a slow 40 time at the Combine is his only flaw, he's going to turn out to be a good one.  He's a physical specimen, he's been very productive in college and appears to be a hard worker and team player who is genuinely excited to be a Buffalo Bill.

But but PBF81 watched YouTube videos on Colman and says it might take 3 years for him to become WR3 

9 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott has to rely on rookies this year, More so than in the past.  

Like last year's crop where Kincaid was a top receiving option and let Torrance play every snap last year. 

6 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Sound a lot like the way you'd describe Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes.  Talk is cheap.  So why do you continue?  And that goes for others on the incessantly positive side as well.

At this point he is a Bill, he is going to play and we ALL need to get behind him.  

Ok calm down Oldman 

1 minute ago, Putin said:

But but PBF81 watched YouTube videos on Colman and says it might take 3 years for him to become WR3 

I would not have known that, if you had not told me. 

If you know what I mean. 

Sometimes you just keep scrolling down. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Putin said:

Ok calm down Oldman 

I’m perfectly calm.  We’re in OTAs now?  Let’s turn to actually watching what the kid does and quit doing things like trying to predict a kid’s future from a YouTube video.  There’s a lot of confirmation bias both ways.

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

If he's such a "stone-cold killer on the football field," then why the lack of high-end production.  

Talk is cheap this time of year.  Let's hope it translates to the field.  A lot of people have their doubts.  

He did have high end production in 2 big time schools... 

As I've said, he gives this O a dimension we didn't have 

And to OP, McD has always let his first 1 or 2  rookies drafted play from the start. 

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Well I think the Bills FO believes K Coleman has the higher ceiling because it looks like McConkey has the higher floor and they took Coleman over him.

Yeah, that could be. But McConkey went one pick after Coleman, so there might be other front offices out there who see it differently.

I'm guessing that one of the factors which led to Coleman over McConkey is that the Bills were looking for an X receiver, such as Coleman, rather than a Z receiver, such as McConkey.

I value route running more than most. A lot of people look at a WR and think, he has good physical tools. He can always learn good route running later. But you look at the WRs who have been in the league a number of years. Looking just at those guys, you'll see a fairly wide spectrum of route running ability. If two players show a difference in route running ability at the college level, it's not necessarily the case that difference goes away in the NFL. The gap could persist or widen. One of Ladd McConkey's best attributes is his route running.

The Bills front office evidently saw opportunity for Coleman to improve upon his route running and his ability to gain separation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're right.

24 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Let's wait until Coleman plays at least one NFL snap, before comparing him to Michael Jordan.

Not sure I was doing that.  There of hundreds of goods to greats without college domination.  That, I believe, was the post I replied to.