Fox Sports profile on Keon Coleman

5 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Good to see the miserable few immediately invade and sh*t on this thread. 

I mean, yeah. That's one way of looking at it.

However, I watched every pass target Coleman received in 2023. He seemed maybe a little above average for a college receiver, but nothing special. Nothing on the tape which indicated a career at the next level, at least not to me. So when some random sports writer described him as a "stone cold killer," yeah, that makes us happy because it's exactly what we want to hear. But it's not what I saw on the tape. Does that perspective make me miserable? Am I "invading" this thread by failing to join in the sportswriter's celebration of Coleman?

I remember back when Bill Parcells was a head coach. If one of his players had a good game, he'd describe the player as a one game wonder. He's also say things like, "It's not time to get the anointing oil out just yet." You do what you want, but I personally intend to wait until Coleman has had at least some success at the NFL level before getting too excited about him.

43 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

OK, so?  

Maybe not draft players that are so young so that they don't take two or three seasons to develop.  Right?  

I mean what, is the insistence that we didn't draft him for this season?  Next season?   

So what.  That's a McBeane thing.  

Oh no that’s a me thing.  

Yes he can contribute at 21.  Absolutely.  

It also means to me his ceiling could be higher than Legette, McConkey, or a Pearsall.  

I agree with the metrics by and large that I’ve read this draft season about the age of the WRs breakout season being a key metric.  One of many obviously.  

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  There was a lot of talk like this 6 years ago, also about the Bills' first draft pick.  

Oh Hell to the Noes, it was way way way worse.  

Of course, the Bills had used a top-10 1st round pick not a top of the 2nd round pick, and on a QB not a WR

Their draft choice was higher profile and very polarizing - had pundits saying stuff like he was a "joke of a 1st round draft pick" and that if he succeeded as a QB it would overturn the "history of math itself" or stuff to that effect.

26 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

However, I watched every pass target Coleman received in 2023. He seemed maybe a little above average for a college receiver, but nothing special. Nothing on the tape which indicated a career at the next level, at least not to me. So when some random sports writer described him as a "stone cold killer," yeah, that makes us happy because it's exactly what we want to hear. But it's not what I saw on the tape.

So the process you've described here isn't an NFL scouting process. You've essentially just watched his college tape and graded him on what he's done. That isn't NFL scouting. NFL scouting is about projecting the player to the next level. You're evaluating the player as, for example, "how well did he separate in the college tape I watched?" versus "can he develop the ability to separate at the NFL level?" Might seem like a small difference but it changes how you look at the prospect.

For me, the answer to that 2nd question is clearly "yes." His size and strength and fluidity and movement with the ball in his hands tells me all the traits to separate are there. His competitiveness and known work ethic and known football character tell me the desire is there. His age and relative inexperience tells me the room to grow is there. So I'm not nitpicking every single college rep because that doesn't help me to answer the question that is being asked. I'm looking at the player and the person as a whole and projecting his ability to become successful at the next level by looking at the totality of his physical and character traits.

Replace this entire post with references to Josh Allen instead of Keon Coleman and you'll understand why so many amateurs and fans (myself included) were embarrassingly loudly wrong about him six years ago.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So the process you've described here isn't an NFL scouting process. You've essentially just watched his college tape and graded him on what he's done. That isn't NFL scouting. NFL scouting is about projecting the player to the next level. You're evaluating the player as, for example, "how well did he separate in the college tape I watched?" versus "can he develop the ability to separate at the NFL level?" Might seem like a small difference but it changes how you look at the prospect.

For me, the answer to that 2nd question is clearly "yes." His size and strength and fluidity and movement with the ball in his hands tells me all the traits to separate are there. His competitiveness and known work ethic and known football character tell me the desire is there. His age and relative inexperience tells me the room to grow is there. So I'm not nitpicking every single college rep because that doesn't help me to answer the question that is being asked. I'm looking at the player and the person as a whole and projecting his ability to become successful at the next level by looking at the totality of his physical and character traits.

Replace this entire post with references to Josh Allen instead of Keon Coleman and you'll understand why so many amateurs and fans (myself included) were embarrassingly loudly wrong about him six years ago.

Boom

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Doc said:

How many?  Maybe 2 (Coleman and Bishop).  If any other rookies start, it's gravy.

Maybe not start, but I'm sure the staff is hoping for meaningful contributions by 4-6 of these rookies. 

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Look, there are exceptions both ways.  If you want to believe that he's on the positive side of that, great.  Time will tell though, not popular belief or consensus.  

Take a look at the WRs picked last year in the first two rounds.  

It's a mixed bag.  Quentin Johnston and Johnathan Mingo are the two that are most like Coleman and neither impressed in any way, shape, or form.  

As stated, there are many people and sites that have noted that however.  

Quentin Johnston and Jonathan Mingo also played on two absolute dumpster fire teams, with dumpster fire offenses and QBs that have shown zero capability of elevating the players around them.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

An interesting aspect for me, is they chose someone with the low floor but high ceiling over McConkey -the higher floor, lower ceiling choice.  it all makes sense in my world where a trade for a top WR takes place (then WR2 is Samuel/Coleman split where Coleman ascends throughout the year into a larger role)

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But he quoted Bill Parcels! 

• Eyeroll 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You make a solid point.

That said . . . when I watched some of Josh Allen's college footage, I saw special throws. Throws deep downfield, into tight windows. Big boy throws that most NFL QBs can't make. That wasn't enough for me to make a prediction for or against Allen. I was on the fence about him after the draft, and for his first two years in the NFL. But there was enough there for me to say that he was flashing elite attributes at the college level.

I never got that sense with Coleman. I'm open to the possibility that Coleman's play improves over what he did in college. But I will need to see that improvement actually happen, before I get the anointing oil out for him.

16 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

An interesting aspect for me, is they chose someone with the low floor but high ceiling over McConkey -the higher floor, lower ceiling choice.  it all makes sense in my world where a trade for a top WR takes place (then WR2 is Samuel/Coleman split where Coleman ascends throughout the year into a larger role)

I disagree with your assertion of a low ceiling for McConkey. Good hands, decent size, a 4.3 40, excellent route running, excellent separation. There have been WRs with worse attributes than those, who have gone on to have high ceiling careers.

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Had been meaning to look at this so thanks for adding here.  Heres my quick list of beyond ordinary plays with a bit of why.  I also don't highlight a few plays that were big chunk plays that were created by his physicality.  Kids still learning the game as has been noted but I see him turn DBs around quite a bit already (wish we had all routes and not just broadcast views for most of these games). 

I did know that a lot of his work was in the screen game and am maybe a bit less excited for what he offers based on the video.  However, I am more excited for him as a vertical threat after the video.  Not sure FSU utilized him in a way to best showcase his talents. 

0:08 separation at release (poor throw)
0:16 Run after catch
3:04 separation at release (poor throw)
4:38 run after catch
5:40 created separation at stem (drop)
6:02 separation
6:15 heads up uncover
7:04 turned safety around (poor throw)
7:40 game winner contested
9:20 one handed contested
10:53 separation
12:30 run after catch
12:40 cooks zone coverage
13:15 cooks zone coverage
13:45 contested catch
14:50 yards after catch
15:17 one handed contested TD
18:10 And the foul TD
18:42 separation at release (wrong shoulder throw)
21:08 separation and run after catch

Thanks!

OK, so we start with the LSU game, which was a great game for him overall and from a statistical perspective.   It was also 20% of his season's production more or less in terms of TDs, yards, and catches.  

0:08 separation at release (poor throw)

Agree on the poor throw.  As to the route, it's a pretty standard route that just about every WR in the NFL can execute with a properly thrown pass.  

What I looked for while watching that video, are traits that will distinguish him in the NFL, not what may distinguish him at the collegiate level.  

0:16 Run after catch

Agree, and I'll add, a beautiful YAC on a beautifully thrown ball.  That's one of the few plays that I had as having been noteworthy.  

3:04 separation at release (poor throw)

I have this as a drop.  The ball was right between his hands against two DBs smaller that he is.  But here's the thing, all we've heard is about how great he is on "contested catches," well, that was one and it wasn't impressive.  One could excuse it, but that's not being impressive.  The opponent is Southern Miss which boasted the 128th (out of 133) ranked D.  The DBs were a red-shirt sophomore that has hardly played, and a red-shirt junior that has 1 INT in 23 games played.  Happy to discuss.  

4:38 run after catch

Agree, one of his best few plays.  Same defenders however, and a whole lot of green after the DB with hardly any experience whiffs on the tackle.  Great hurdle.  It's not going to be nearly that easy here.  

5:40 created separation at stem (drop)

We'll disagree a little here.  You say separation, but had he caught it, it would have been what, a 7, 8 yard gain, the DBs dropped back and only made slight contact a yard or two from where would have caught it, so not quite sure that "separation" applies here.  Otherwise, the DB on him was Andrew Mukuba, a third year Jr. that has 1 INT, 1 Sack, and 16 PDs in 35 games played.  

6:02 separation

again here, tough to call this separation.  It was botched coverage to start, same DB, and it was also a broken play as you can hear the announcer, uncovered he simply came back.  Good play, but nothing other than routine.  

6:15 heads up uncover

Pure botched coverage.  Look again.  Absolutely no one on him at any point during that play after Mickens completely whiffs while going into the backfield.  Otherwise, a very routine 7-yard TD pass.  Credit play-design on that one.  

7:04 turned safety around (poor throw)

Yeah, that's a non-play.  Good coverage by the DB, a S it appears to be.  

Again, we're looking for reasons to get excited though, not excuses as to why he didn't do more.  

7:40 game winner contested

A phenominal play.  Again, one of the few notable ones.  

9:20 one handed contested

Agreed, another phenominal catch.  I think we've gotten the three notable ones now.  

At 4:38, this one, and the one prior.  

10:53 separation

I have to question separation here.  It was clearly a juke of some sort where he lost the CB, Isaiah Johnson on Syracuse.  It's not a play that he's likely to make in the NFL.  Johnson went undrafted as a Sr. and NFL.com has him projected as a bottom of roster or practice squad type.  So to any extent that he did "separate," that's whom it was against.  NFL.com says this about Johnson in his draft profile;  a fundamental lack of coverage fluidity and deep speed will be hard to cover up as a pro.  In short, he's far from NFL caliber competition.  

12:30 run after catch

Again, Syracuse, and a classic bubble screen.  Up 27-3 in the 4th, this is far more a simply clinic on poor tackling than it is for Coleman on what, a 12-yard gain.  This isn't the type of play that's going to work well for him in the NFL given his lack of speed.  

12:40 cooks zone coverage

Not seeing that here against Duke.  Wrong time stamp perhaps?  

13:15 cooks zone coverage

Again, more blown coverage, the announcer points that out how Al Blades, the DB tasked with covering Coleman, does not cover him.  Good route, good catch, but nothing spectacular, a routine route & catch in the NFL every weekend.  BTW, Blades, that CB/DB, was 6 years in the NCAAs, managed a mere 4 INTs (none in the past three seasons) and 24 PDs in 56 NCAA games played.  He went undrafted and was picked up by the Jets as an Undrafted FA.  He doesn't even have a draft profile at NFL.com or PFF.  

13:45 contested catch

A good catch going down on a clothesline pass into heavy coverage by Travis.  

14:50 yards after catch

YAC are notable when they're in traffic.  After Carson whiffs on Coleman at the LoS however, it's pretty much all but green to the EZ.  Any JAG WR in the NFL makes that play after the catch.  

15:17 one handed contested TD

That was a very good catch.  I'm not sure what they mean by contested, but not sure that's it.  Either way, for the few of those, there are three or four in the video where he doesn't catch it.  

18:10 And the foul TD

A little bit of a pushoff on his end as well.  Very good catch big WR v. a freshman CB.  That seems like a pretty standard catch though, nothing that's going to separate him in the NFL.  It depends a lot more on the QB than the WR.  

18:42 separation at release (wrong shoulder throw)

Not sure how you see any separation at release, it's not in the video.  It appears that he shakes him at the last minute, but having been a non-catch on an overthrow, not sure how this says much one way or the other.  

21:08 separation and run after catch

I'm not sure how you define separation.  Separation is being able to separate from a dedicated defender.  He did not do that on this play or some of the others you cite separation on.  He found (finds) a soft spot in a zone.  He makes the catch 9 yards from the LoS after hooking back, then turns and runs.  Not one defender is in the area to make a play, again, in a what's obviously a zone.  They close the gap and make the tackle.  But separation it is not.  

Happy to discuss further if you like.  :) 

But I count (I think) four catches of any gravity/magnitude here and anything that should be considered anything but routine.  That's it.  The rest of the video is largely unimpressive stuff, which includes many similar situations in which he fails to deliver.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Bills seem to prefer certain physical traits, especially early. Coleman has the size and hands they coveted, but I really thought McConkey just looks like a football player.  We have a UGA member of the family, so I saw a good bit of him. He looks smart and gritty out there. I’m glad Tom Brady doesn’t get to throw to him against us. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Josh Allen has made multiple receivers have the best years of their careers 

Including bums like Robert Foster who he literally made look like he could be an NFL receiver 

And interestingly, many here were higher on Foster than they are on Coleman. 

Dawson Knox never scored a touchdown in college.. he is now a Red zone threat thanks to Josh Allen

Knox has averaged about 400 yards and 5 TDs/season here, hardly prolific.  

Everybody at Michigan State raves about the kid... Said he was the best offensive player they've had there in a while 

Even more people said the same about QBs like Young, Leaf, Shuler, Russell, Bradford, Couch, and WRs like Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy, Jaelen Reager and many more.  So what.  Narratives are a dime a dozen in our society.  

Went to Florida State and everybody at Florida State says he is the guy 

Oh, well that settles it.  LOL  "They" said the same about Spiller and Watkins, even more, did they not?  

If he Daniel's throwing him the ball at LSU the dude would have went a lot higher and had a lot better stats lol he also could have went to LSU 

And if the stocks you and I had picked back in the '90s had worked out like Microsoft did, we'd each have our own island somewhere.  :D 

But went thousands of miles away to a running team because he wanted to get away from bad influences and mature 

Literally that last sentence will make him great in the NFL because he has the right mindset... And everybody is talented 

You're literally talking about like he's a JV football player LOL Kansas literally asked him to play football and basketball..  he's probably the only person in the world who has ever gotten that offer from Kansas 

I'm talking about him as if the narrative doesn't match reality.  It doesn't.  

He is a world-class athlete who is going to be a better pro than college player

Florida State had him returning punts because he was the best player on the team

Just about everything you've floated is mass opinion.  Nothing but narrative.  Here's an exercise for you, can you think of any times that the narratives for draftees didn't quite pan out?  

What's the more likely scenario season to season, that every 1st round draft pick works out?  Because just about every team is saying the same things right now.  Just like we said about Watkins, Spiller, Oliver, Elam, Rousseau, Ford, AJE, Lawson, Ragland (he was HUGE, what a gem in round 2, LOL), Darby, etc., etc.  

I can't look the other way on our picks simply because I'm a fan.  

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott has to rely on rookies this year, More so than in the past.  

McD plugged and played Torrence and Kincaid last season as starters. I also think outside of Coleman, Bishop and maybe SVPG the rest of the draft picks are entering into the season mainly backup or specific roles. 

Just breaking it down outside of Coleman, Bishop and possibly SVPG I can't see any other rookie taking a starting spot. 

• Dwyane Carter - Going to take a rotational DT role there's three vet DT's in front of him (Oliver, Daquon and Johnson) plus Deshawn Williams will be competing with Carter for snaps. 
  • Ray Davis - Sliding into a backup role possible as a third string RB or as a RB2. 
  • Edeufan - There's at least 4 LB's in front of him in Milano, Bernard, Williams and Morrow/Spector. I think he is going to mostly slide into a ST role year one. 
  • Solomon - There are at least 3 DE's in front of him (Von, AJE and Groot) likely 4 as I think Smoot is also taking some snaps in rotation. So Solomon is at best sliding into a backend role. 
  • Grabel - Dawkins and Brown are the starting LT and RT. While Van Denmark is the swing tackle and possibly Colins and Edwards can flex out to RT. I honestly think Grabel is in line for the that "red shirt" treatment. 
  • Hardy - Is slotting into the 5/6 CB role and will likely just take on a kick/punt returner role as a rookie. 
  • Travis Clayton - I think this guy is headed for a PS slot he needs at least 1 if no 2-3 years of development. 

Given that Coleman and Bishop were both 2nd round picks I think they should slot in well as decent starters while SVPG doesn't "have" to start as they have options along the O-line. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

And interestingly, many here were higher on Foster than they are on Coleman. 

Knox has averaged about 400 yards and 5 TDs/season here, hardly prolific.  

Even more people said the same about QBs like Young, Leaf, Shuler, Russell, Bradford, Couch, and WRs like Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy, Jaelen Reager and many more.  So what.  Narratives are a dime a dozen in our society.  

Oh, well that settles it.  LOL  "They" said the same about Spiller and Watkins, even more, did they not?  

And if the stocks you and I had picked back in the '90s had worked out like Microsoft did, we'd each have our own island somewhere.  :D 

I'm talking about him as if the narrative doesn't match reality.  It doesn't.  

Just about everything you've floated is mass opinion.  Nothing but narrative.  Here's an exercise for you, can you think of any times that the narratives for draftees didn't quite pan out?  

What's the more likely scenario season to season, that every 1st round draft pick works out?  Because just about every team is saying the same things right now.  Just like we said about Watkins, Spiller, Oliver, Elam, Rousseau, Ford, AJE, Lawson, Ragland (he was HUGE, what a gem in round 2, LOL), Darby, etc., etc.  

I can't look the other way on our picks simply because I'm a fan.  

Dude every single player has the potential to be a bust 

People are drooling over Marvin Harrison Jr and if his last name wasn't Harrison he wasn't a top 10 pick ... I saw him in high school and college live and he certainly isn't one of the 10 best receivers I've seen coming out of college... Certainly wasn't generational

He certainly isn't the bona fide star people make him out to be either lol he can be average in the NFL... Our own Sammy Watkins was better coming out

Every player has risk factor.. every single one 

Keon Coleman has tons of abilities and is a smooth athlete at his size with a great attitude... That alone will help leaps and bounds 

I had half a dozen regional scouts text me after the pic saying we got the steal of the draft 

Every player can be a bust , keon Coleman has a lot of talent and will play with a Hall of Fame quarterback

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

McD plugged and played Torrence and Kincaid last season as starters. I also think outside of Coleman, Bishop and maybe SVPG the rest of the draft picks are entering into the season mainly backup or specific roles. 

Just breaking it down outside of Coleman, Bishop and possibly SVPG I can't see any other rookie taking a starting spot. 

• Dwyane Carter - Going to take a rotational DT role there's three vet DT's in front of him (Oliver, Daquon and Johnson) plus Deshawn Williams will be competing with Carter for snaps. 
  • Ray Davis - Sliding into a backup role possible as a third string RB or as a RB2. 
  • Edeufan - There's at least 4 LB's in front of him in Milano, Bernard, Williams and Morrow/Spector. I think he is going to mostly slide into a ST role year one. 
  • Solomon - There are at least 3 DE's in front of him (Von, AJE and Groot) likely 4 as I think Smoot is also taking some snaps in rotation. So Solomon is at best sliding into a backend role. 
  • Grabel - Dawkins and Brown are the starting LT and RT. While Van Denmark is the swing tackle and possibly Colins and Edwards can flex out to RT. I honestly think Grabel is in line for the that "red shirt" treatment. 
  • Hardy - Is slotting into the 5/6 CB role and will likely just take on a kick/punt returner role as a rookie. 
  • Travis Clayton - I think this guy is headed for a PS slot he needs at least 1 if no 2-3 years of development. 

Given that Coleman and Bishop were both 2nd round picks I think they should slot in well as decent starters while SVPG doesn't "have" to start as they have options along the O-line. 

Good post.  I am betting,and hoping, Solomon can break out as a pass rusher.   I want SVPG to win the starting job at some point,BUT feel darn good with McGovern there right now

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Good post.  I am betting,and hoping, Solomon can break out as a pass rusher.   I want SVPG to win the starting job at some point,BUT feel darn good with McGovern there right now

McGovern is going to surprise everybody at center 

Played center very well at Penn State... He is huge so he had the ability to play All over The line there 

They played him where they needed him 

He certainly has the tools to be a top 10 NFL center with his size... I expect him to be getting a big contract from another team in 2 years while we groom svpg

Center is physically the easiest.. and he was a physical guard... He's going to dominate

Edited by Buffalo716

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, I am.  My sensibilities do not allow me to envision Coleman as doing much beyond #3 production in the NFL.  It wasn't a preexisting bias I came into the analysis with.  I've now spent about 20 (or more) hours reviewing his play, cataloging each and every pass attempt/target/reception into a database, and have analyzed that extensively.  I came that determination while doing that.  BTW, did you realize that a third of his receptions were caught behind the Line of Scrimmage?  

PBF81, you've made it clear here and elsewhere that you don't think much of Keon.  

But let me offer another view by Brentley Weisman, "Coleman has everything you want to be a team’s No. 1 option and will likely be a difference-maker early on in his NFL career... Prospect Projection: Day 1 — Pro Bowl Talent"

You're a knowledgeable poster.  But Weisman is a former NFL scout with the Chargers, Raiders, and Pats.  It would be hard for you to convince me that you're right and the NFL scout is wrong.  Especially when I want the scout to be right. 🙂

You can read Weisman's full profile on Coleman here:

thedraftnetwork.com/2023/12/20/keon-coleman-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

• Like (+1) 1