Fox Sports profile on Keon Coleman

Somewhat of a long read but worth your time.

One nugget that I found interesting:

"We're going to be counting on him early in his role," Beane told reporters during the draft. "It's no secret we needed to add a guy like him to fill this X-role that's vacant."

There's a much publicized quote from Beane after the draft where he said something to the effect of "it will be hard for Coleman to start from day one." This is the messaging the team always puts out there for their rookies to hear. But he let slip their real plans in the chaos of draft weekend - Coleman is going to be the early favorite for the starting X receiver. And based on this article I think he's going to quickly earn the trust of the coaching staff and win that role.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 14

If he's such a "stone-cold killer on the football field," then why the lack of high-end production.  

Talk is cheap this time of year.  Let's hope it translates to the field.  A lot of people have their doubts.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 7

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If he's such a "stone-cold killer on the football field," then why the lack of high-end production.  

Talk is cheap this time of year.  Let's hope it translates to the field.  A lot of people have their doubts.  

He stone cold chews through free cookies from wegmans tho 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the other interesting nugget, if it came from Beane, as it seems to have, is that Beane feels Coleman has "rare ability to bend" (like a pass rusher) and "the redirection skills of a much smaller receiver".

Nice little writeup. Wouldn't have expected that to come from Fox Sports, who I wasn't even aware did written sports journalism of any kind. Thanks for sharing.

Like I said in a different thread yesterday: Coleman may not have been my first choice, but I will be rooting like hell for him to succeed now that he's a Buffalo Bill. Super likable guy. I hope he becomes a dominant WR1 and makes me look like a total idiot (not hard).

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Payton Thorne

Jordan Travis (2024 5th Round Pick)

Tate Rodemaker

vs.

CJ Stroud (2023 1st Round, 2nd Pick)

Anthony Richardson (2023 1st, 4th Pick)

Jayden Daniels (2024 1st Round, 2nd Pick)

Michael Penix Jr. (2024 1st Round, 8th Pick)

Quinn Ewers (Projected 2025 1st Round Pick)

🤷‍♂️

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He's spent a total of two years of his life focusing exclusively on football. He just turned 21 last week. Give the kid a chance, yeah? Clearly he understands the game and is going to give everything he's got to become a great player.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

25 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott has to rely on rookies this year, More so than in the past.  

How many?  Maybe 2 (Coleman and Bishop).  If any other rookies start, it's gravy.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

How many?  Maybe 2 (Coleman and Bishop).  If any other rookies start, it's gravy.

I think you'll see Davis on the field a lot, and the C from UGA has a shot.  Hoping the DE from Troy shows something.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I get the sense you are one of the those with doubts lol. He had great production in the back to back years he started at two different schools with two very different offenses, including his first and only year at FSU having to learn a new offense on a run first team. If you watched the film it was clear he was very important to that offense. Many great NFL players didn't have high end production in college, where a lot of times production is scheme dependent.  Calvin Johnson would have had 100+ catches and 2000 yard per season if he didn't play for Ga Tech. 

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's a much publicized quote from Beane after the draft where he said something to the effect of "it will be hard for Coleman to start from day one." This is the messaging the team always puts out there for their rookies to hear. But he let slip their real plans in the chaos of draft weekend - Coleman is going to be the early favorite for the starting X receiver. And based on this article I think he's going to quickly earn the trust of the coaching staff and win that role.

Or both can be true - the plan is not to start a rookie day 1 and to have Coleman quickly gain more time on the outside. 

All makes sense when you factor in an additional good starting level WR on the other side.  Then the C Samuel/K Coleman split quickly transitions over to mostly Coleman.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Somewhat of a long read but worth your time.

One nugget that I found interesting:

I can really see why the Bills liked him from some of the stuff in that article - the bit about him scheduling throwing sessions at midnight on visits to LSU and FSU, and "Coleman is such a film junkie that he'd figured out a large portion of FSU's playbook before actually seeing it."

One little false note: "That'll all require rapport, and they're already planning to work out this offseason at Allen's place in Wyoming. "  Not that he couldn't, with what he earns, but as far as I know Josh does not have a place in Wyoming.

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

Agree on the 2. We will need rotation line help and Pass rush help.  I would like to have our new rookie Center win the job this year and be there for 8-10 years

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Because he didn't have a high-end Qb throwing to him. Let's see his production with Josh.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Payton Thorne

Jordan Travis (2024 5th Round Pick)

Tate Rodemaker

vs.

CJ Stroud (2023 1st Round, 2nd Pick)

Anthony Richardson (2023 1st, 4th Pick)

Jayden Daniels (2024 1st Round, 2nd Pick)

Michael Penix Jr. (2024 1st Round, 8th Pick)

Quinn Ewers (Projected 2025 1st Round Pick)

🤷‍♂️

Look, there are exceptions both ways.  If you want to believe that he's on the positive side of that, great.  Time will tell though, not popular belief or consensus.  

Take a look at the WRs picked last year in the first two rounds.  

It's a mixed bag.  Quentin Johnston and Johnathan Mingo are the two that are most like Coleman and neither impressed in any way, shape, or form.  

As stated, there are many people and sites that have noted that however.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He's spent a total of two years of his life focusing exclusively on football. He just turned 21 last week. Give the kid a chance, yeah? Clearly he understands the game and is going to give everything he's got to become a great player.

Well, OK, that's all fine and dandy, but it still doesn't translate to production nor render the fact that he lacked high-end production false.  

Again, talk is cheap.  And who really likes hearing that he won't be doing much early in the season?  As our first overall pick, even at the top of the 2nd, and given our sore lack of and dire need for WRs, that really shouldn't sit well with any Bills fan.  Also, in light of that, how long are we supposed to wait for production?  What, two, three seasons?  ... until he's up for a new contract?  

Just asking the tough questions here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I think you'll see Davis on the field a lot, and the C from UGA has a shot.  Hoping the DE from Troy shows something.

Davis should get playing time but I can't say they'll rely on him.  Same for Solomon.  And if Van Pran wins the starting job, great, but they're not relying on him.