Tua holding out?

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Where do people think Tua ends up if the Dolphins tell him "Test the Market"

Raiders would make sense from a need perspective, but they only have about 18m and 25m cap the next 2 years. 2026 they have a ton so maybe a backloaded contract with a huge guarantee could be possible?

1 hour ago, KingBoots8 said:

Raiders would make sense from a need perspective, but they only have about 18m and 25m cap the next 2 years. 2026 they have a ton so maybe a backloaded contract with a huge guarantee could be possible?

My previous question was poorly word. I intended to ask where does Tua's contract average annual value end up, if the Dolphins tell him to test the market. 

If Tua stays, the Dolphins can still be a decent team. He manages to keep them in the hunt, even if he can't beat the Bills without 130 degree temperatures on the Buffalo sideline. He's not a bad quarterback on the whole, though he does carry major concussion concerns in his luggage.

If Tua goes, the Fins flat-out stink for a while. Even if they have already start planning for their future QB, they have nothing in the cupboard and probably not a high draft pick next year.

Ah, Schadenfreude.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

This is the problem with mid QB’s like Tua.

You still have to pay them enormous top 5 money even though they stink because that’s how it works

Until a GM has the balls to simply step away from a mid QB and try again this cycle will continue 

We are all hoping Grier continues the cycle and overpays for Tua

Edited by DJB

7 minutes ago, skibum said:

If Tua stays, the Dolphins can still be a decent team. He manages to keep them in the hunt, even if he can't beat the Bills without 130 degree temperatures on the Buffalo sideline. He's not a bad quarterback on the whole, though he does carry major concussion concerns in his luggage.

If Tua goes, the Fins flat-out stink for a while. Even if they have already start planning for their future QB, they have nothing in the cupboard and probably not a high draft pick next year.

Ah, Schadenfreude.

No no no. Tua walks and they start selling off assets like Michael Jackson and possibly get a real QB.

Hill would get shipped out at the first sign of suckage and he may still conmand a late first. Chubb/Ramsey would probably get jettisoned too. 

The better option for Miami not being a threat is them to pay him big, they kick the restructuring can down the road to retain Waddle and other key pieces, and then even in 3-4 years when Hill is washed and Tua is a goner, they are Saints-lite and $80M over the cap. Total disaster class.

There is nothing worse in the NFL than short-term spending as a contender when you aren’t and you don’t have a difference maker at QB.

Posted (edited)

I think Tua did enough to get a contract, and stay in Miami. It may not be the contract he wants, but I don't know if he'd be a better fit anywhere else in the league, given what is known about him. Tua had a successful(ish) season because Mike McDaniel engineered a scheme that played to his strengths, and minimized his weaknesses.

Tua held the ball for the shortest average time than any other QB in the league, and was able to throw with impressive accuracy, considering how quickly the ball had to come out. Tua thrived early in the season with quick timing plays in which the receiver had to be on their routes at precisely the right time. The speed of their receivers made this possible. But McDermott figured this out the first game we played them (week four, iirc), and it was their first loss of the season. McD figured out that none of his defenders needed to match Hill, or Waddle's speed-- they just had to throw them off their timing. Bump them at the LOS, delay their routes, and the scheme fell apart. Because as accurate as Tua is, his ability to function off-script was abysmal, and when he felt pressure from large individuals bearing down on him, he folded like a lawn chair.

It remains to be seen if the Dolphins did enough in the offseason to improve their O-line, so that Tua could have some chance of extending plays. He needs time without pressure to get that done. I'm very happy the Bills visit Miami in week two (and at night). If it takes time for their O-line to gel, Tua will have a rough start to the season, IMO.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/17/2024 at 1:12 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

All joking aside, he should absolutely hold out.  History of concussions, and coming off a great season, on a 1 year deal.  Herbert and Burrow got theirs, what gives? 

What great season?  They choked big time against Tennessee on Monday night which opened the door for us.  And then we slammed the door on the final Sunday night of the season.  Tua led the Fish to all of 14 pts against us at home.  And threw a nice pick late.  And then he was frozen out in KC.  He had a good season.  But comes up small against good teams.  

I think it would be funny if the Fish were like this is our best deal, take it or leave it.  Its a team game.  Their roster is always too top heavy.  And their O line has been pretty bad at times.  Beane isn't playing that game anymore.  Got rid of Diggs.  Made Von take a pay cut.  Defense is all on reasonable deals.  Only #17 should break the bank.  And he will always take a team friendly deal, because he is about winning first and foremost.  

Tua is a great kid and has shown that he can stay healthy over a full season.  I hope he gets a long term deal mostly because he’s just not good enough to win in a division with Josh and a conference with 5 superior QBs.(Burrow, Mahomes, Josh, Herbert and Lawrence) He’s also not great in cold playoff venues. If Miami is keen on breaking through, they should trade Tua to a team  in the NFC and try and get a young stud in the draft while their great receivers are still young.

20 hours ago, Putin said:

Let me ask you this IF Miami would entertain trade offers what do you think Miami could get for him ? 

If Denver didn’t just draft Bo Nix, I’d guess they’d be pretty interested. Tua in that offense would be a good fit. Only issue is that it’s cold in Denver 

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Dolphins have not achieved meaningful success in the McDaniel - Tua era. In this case, its not clear they are "built to win now".  Unless that means "Built to be a slightly above .500 club."

Fun fact, McDaniels and Brian Flores have the same win pct over the last 4 years 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t see where he ends up if not Miami. Maybe Cleveland bc that’s how dumb that organization is, but Tua is never going to win a Super Bowl ever or come close to a conference championship. All 32 teams in the league know that, but the browns are the only dumb ones to make such a move. Like, even the stupid ass jets moved on from Wilson. 

On 5/17/2024 at 4:17 PM, HOUSE said:

4 year /34 mil

Yeah, I’m one of those in the minority that think he is a good Qb.  Maybe not great, maybe he will never be, but good. His numbers more than indicate as much and after 2 1/2 years that saw increasing improvement I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t like the fifth year option.

I hate this idea that any starter of reasonable worth has to become the highest paid qb or nothing.  He is simply not that.  I believe he is in that 30+ million range, and maybe short term, as House has it above.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 5/17/2024 at 1:23 PM, Doc said:

I can see this lasting awhile.  The trend has been for virtually every QB signing a new deal to be the highest paid.  With Goff just getting a $53M/year extension, I have no doubt Tua's looking for at least that much, with a significant portion guaranteed.

That Goff contract was way higher than most thought he was gonna get and it screwed the phins big time. Goff was supposed to be on Cousins-tier, instead, he set the new top tier. Bravo Detroit. Lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/18/2024 at 10:23 AM, Chaos said:

Where do people think Tua ends up if the Dolphins tell him "Test the Market"

As a a back up QB in Chicago, 

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yeah, I’m one of those in the minority that think he is a good Qb.  Maybe not great, maybe he will never be, but good. His numbers more than indicate as much and after 2 1/2 years that saw increasing improvement I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t like the fifth year option.

I hate this idea that any starter of reasonable worth has to become the highest paid qb or nothing.  He is simply not that.  I believe he is in that 30+ million range, and maybe short term, as House has it above.

Wouldn’t it be refreshing if Miami told Tua 30 mil a year for four years or hit the road…