Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

Jones could be a valuable back up but hasn't played much the last two years.

Smoot would be a back up if he makes the team. He has 17 starts in 7 seasons, none in the last two years and 23.5 sacks.

Claypool will probably Claypool and get his walking papers. Or he could surprise us.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Klein played because 3 guys were out.  There is no Klein replacement.  I don’t think jones will beat out morrow or 

milano

bernard

dorian

spector

Morrow

Eddy

Jones

thats how I see things anyway.  Jones might be a PS guy

smoot was pretty bad last season- if he can return to form, I suppose he can compete with for DT4-5

claypool-  gamble on trait.  I get it

Jones at one point was far better than Spector ever will be. That may not be the case now but I don't see how Spector is a lock for the 53.

I doubt Smoot makes the 53. Camp body so Miller can rest.

Now, me being a self-proclaimed Notre Dame homer, I don't mind this move at all. I banged the table for him back during that draft. His first couple seasons were solid when he had Big Ben chucking him the rock. After that, his ego kicked in and it's been a downward spiral ever since. Still, he's only 25, the talent has been on display previously, and there is hope for redemption. Hopefully it happens here. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't really matter who we ever bring onto this team..........the fans are going to hate every signing, every prospect, everything........no player is ever good enough for you guys.

Hmmm...I don't get that perception reading this thread

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Is adding like 47 bottom-of-the-barrel WRs in free agency the same as adding one or two good ones?

Asking for a friend...

What color glasses do you prefer, clear or rose colored?

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think you bring in Hamler and Claypool if the plan is to say trade for DK Metcalf after June 1. Those aren't just camp bodies IMO, they're bets on upside. Not that I agree with the strategy but that's my guess.

Id argue that they are “good choices for camp bodies” as opposed them being “bets on upside”.  If we would’ve bet on them, we’d have placed a bet, aka given them gtd money. Hamler is 1 year 1M, no gtd looks like camp body to me.  I’d bet claypool is similar but we’ll see.  

I’m sure McB is excited about the possible upside and that’s why they’re here…. But I don’t think it’s any more than that.  Invite talented players to camp if they want to come here. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Ben said:

Worth a shot right? Guys got all the talent in the world but has been immature. Maybe he's grown up some and been humbled?

Well that's going to be the only way he succeeds this year.  This will probably be his last chance to reboot his career.

Just got a text from my buddy who is the Bears scout. I’m trying to post it but it’s too large. At any rate, it is Schefter’s post about the signing and then:

him: 🥴

me: gross

him: he’s been a locker room cancer everywhere that he’s been

take it fwiw

• Thank you (+1) 3

Don't mind any of these guys actually as guys to compete for the backend jobs in those rooms. Smoot is the one I give the best chance of making the roster. But I see the sense in all 3 moves. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

The spring battle of Claypool and Shorter for the title of camp hero will be entertaining. Shorter has the age and draft capital but Claypool has the better nickname.  

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

can't hate it unless this is the only FA WR we get.  

by itself it's a great signing because it's extremely low risk/ and could be very high reward.  

people on this board are so negative it's funny - no risk signing - think about things before posting

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think you bring in Hamler and Claypool if the plan is to say trade for DK Metcalf after June 1. Those aren't just camp bodies IMO, they're bets on upside. Not that I agree with the strategy but that's my guess.

I’m not sure why there is so much focus on the WR room when it was obvious over the second half of last season that the Bills are becoming a run heavy team that throws mostly to its TEs and backs. How many catches did Diggs and Davis, their #1 and #2 WRs, even have the last 8 games of last season? And then they draft two more OL, a RB and a big, physical WR. That should be telling everyone something, IMO.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1