Where do you see this OL in a couple years?

We drafted a few OL in later rounds, but this was a deep draft for OL talent. What does the future look like? Will our OL be better than ever? They looked good last year, but not great. I think Josh's mobility made them look much better like when Flutie played vs Rob Johnson the sack magnet. Will we run a little more perhaps?

What's your prediction a couple years out?

• Like (+1) 1

It was a deep tackle class this year … I would have liked to have seen them take a more experienced guy than the two projects they took at the end … neither will be ready in 12 months for a starter role…

Might be a pointer that they are leaning towards extending Brown …

They have restructured McGovern so he will be here through the end of his deal in 2025 … perhaps they should take another Round 2-3 Guard next year to develop and then start in 2026 and let McG go…

Could have three guys still on their Rookie deals playing IOL come 2026 whilst they have to make a decision on whether Dion is still up to it  …but more likely  take a Tackle Round 1 2026 and  pay Torrence the following year…

Sounds easy in theory ,,, I’m sure the reality may play out not quite as smoothly …

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Malazan said:

same place as now.. in Orchard Park

I see what you did there.

This time of year, in a couple years, could in fact find the Bills OL scattered across the country, depending on OTA schedules.

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

It was a deep tackle class this year … I would have liked to have seen them take a more experienced guy than the two projects they took at the end … neither will be ready in 12 months for a starter role…

Grable is still a work in progress but he is pretty experienced. He has 43 college starts at left tackle. Okay they were at Jacksonville State and UCF but I think he could be in the mix for a starting role in 2025 if they can keep him and develop him. My bigger question is how he translates to the right side. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

We drafted a few OL in later rounds, but this was a deep draft for OL talent. What does the future look like? Will our OL be better than ever? They looked good last year, but not great. I think Josh's mobility made them look much better like when Flutie played vs Rob Johnson the sack magnet. Will we run a little more perhaps?

What's your prediction a couple years out?

With his contract extension Dawkins is pretty much locked in this year and next. The first potential "out" in the deal would be prior to the 2026 season where he would be 32 and could be let go with around a $9M dead cap hit. So depending on how we sit cap wise then they may make a move with him like they did Morse this year and get younger/cheaper at the position. McGovern will still be 28 in 2026 and if his play stays at the level it is I can see them keeping him with a new deal. So headed into the 2026 season I see:

LT: ?

LG: McGovern

😄 Van Pran

RG: Torrence 

RT: ?

I think who the tackles are depends on a variety of things. Yes, we nabbed a couple OT projects this year and one or both could always pan out. But I actually think Ryan Van Demark has a legitimate chance to be the successor to Dion at LT. The Bills really like what he brings when he's in there. He doesn't fare as well at RT so he'll have to get better there to remain on the roster as a swing tackle until the LT job opens IMO.

RT: I have no idea how that pans out. I think they really like Brown, though and would not be shocked if he's signed to a fair deal. Next year we have the ability to sit pretty well cap wise with Groot and Brown being the big names that are due. They'll have money for it. 

So by 2026 as it sits right nowI see the OL shaping up as:

LT: Van Demark

LG: McGovern

😄 Van Pran

RG: Torrence 

RT: Brown

And if Van Demark continues to show as well as he did in limited snaps last year I like that line a LOT.

• Sad 1

In two years ...

LT - Dawkins

LG - McGovern

C - Van Pran-Granger

RG - Torrence

RT - Brown ... Another year and playing next to rookie Torrence improved his game, I expect another jump in play from him and he'll be re-signed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think the line is in pretty shape, and if one or two of the 1st years guys from last year and this year's rookie class develop, they are set for a while. Of course, they should always be looking to get better, and if the right person is available in the draft (and this is true every year), you pick them.

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

A couple of years out?

LT- Dawkins

LG- McGovern

C- Van Pran

RG- Torrence

RT- Who knows (I think Spencer Brown gets transition tagged then is traded or gone)

The only thing that I could see different is they wait till around early Oct and see how Brown is looking.  If playing at the same level as he was in 2023, they attempt to sign him to a 3 to 4 year deal then.  Whether Brown agrees who knows?  May again make a run during early off season or even after FA starts for a new contract.  They probably should have the money next off season to get him signed if they so choose.  Think if he's really good enough to warrant transition tag, they'd extend him.

I think that one thing we can't count on is that everyone will stay 100% healthy again like last year. To have all 5 guys play every game is an anomaly that probably doesn't happen often. 

I think this year we will get to see some of the 2nd and 3rd level guys when the inevitable injuries happen. The rooks from last year had a whole year to adapt and learn, so hopefully they're ready to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I think that one thing we can't count on is that everyone will stay 100% healthy again like last year. To have all 5 guys play every game is an anomaly that probably doesn't happen often. 

I think this year we will get to see some of the 2nd and 3rd level guys when the inevitable injuries happen. The rooks from last year had a whole year to adapt and learn, so hopefully they're ready to go. 

I honestly have to commend Beane on this OL.

We'll see what happens at Center, but VPG could very well be starting there.. he's that good.

If that's the case and McGovern moves back to LG, our potential depth is Van Demark (LT), Anderson (G/C), Collins (G/RT) and Edwards (G/C).  Really nice depth and we'll see what Grable looks like this summer.  I'd expect Gouraige, Clapp and the British guy to be PS.

• Like (+1) 1

January 2025 after Josh Allen demands to be traded and the intensity of the "fire everybody" faction, the OL will get fired along with Beane and McDermott; the Pegulas will get one more chance or they will be fired!

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

A couple of years out?

LT- Dawkins

LG- McGovern

C- Van Pran

RG- Torrence

RT- Who knows (I think Spencer Brown gets transition tagged then is traded or gone)

I like this lineup. Need to sign Spencer Brown though. 

• Agree 1

In a couple of years, one or two guys “may” be new starters, overall a solid to above average position room that will give Allen sufficient time to execute plays, jmo. 

I hope it ends up like the Chiefs' OL. 

Anchored by young players drafted by them, with strong veterans rounding it out. 

Dawkins, McGovern moving back to G, Van Pran-Granger, Torrence, and Brown/another draft prospect (maybe Travis Clayton pans out 🤞) could be a pretty strong unit. 

I'm definitely optimistic about where things are headed. 

• Like (+1) 2